Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 16, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #57,556 of 62,389
Sending a defective unit back to Amazon and buying a replacement, is probably a good thing at Amazon. The AI bots see you’re genuinely interested in the product and not just taking advantage of their return policy . 👍
Well 2 sets of dpp and a Bose this month.
Back to MTW3 until someone else releases earbuds with fins
Don't know anymore.... Devialet, b&w, b&o all don't

Oct 16, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #57,557 of 62,389
Not here to rag on TWS, but I just tried to listen to my MTW3, and then AirPods Pro 2nd gen after not using Bluetooth for a little while and my ears didn’t like either. I’ve been using my Aful Performer 8, and Focal Elear with Clear pads, and my Bluetooth sets just don’t compare.

I’m not at all saying it’s a fair fight though.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #57,558 of 62,389
Not here to rag on TWS, but I just tried to listen to my MTW3, and then AirPods Pro 2nd gen after not using Bluetooth for a little while and my ears didn’t like either. I’ve been using my Aful Performer 8, and Focal Elear with Clear pads, and my Bluetooth sets just don’t compare.

As the expression goes “Different horses for different courses.”

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #57,559 of 62,389
I recently sold off my portable amp/dac that I was using for the office. I personally found that the convenience of TWS out weighed the better quality. People coming to speak to me, or having to get up, or move something the cables and equipment was just a bit to much of a hassle. That being said sound quality was of course miles ahead on the iem + amp/dac combo so purely for listening I would say TWS is not quite there yet, however I do find it good enough for the features/convenience it can offer. For reference my amp was a IFI Gryphon with several IEMs (usually Hyla Sarda or Fir 5x5) and I ended up moving to galaxy buds pro 2. Would say it really depends on the use case.

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #57,560 of 62,389

Amazingly the best TWS are reaching at least the $100 IEM range in sound. Of course the TWS smoke theme
in coolness 😎. Two small computers sitting in your ears converting digital data to music, total science fiction 20 years ago…. 👍

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #57,561 of 62,389
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #57,562 of 62,389
Check to see if Svanar is connected to another device in that environment.
It shouldn't be. It was connected to my Samsung S23 Ultra but I've turned Bluetooth off on that phone, so it should be fine right? Can't quite imagine that I would also have to literally go in and remove it from that phone list for it to be able to connect to a new device?

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #57,563 of 62,389
It shouldn't be. It was connected to my Samsung S23 Ultra but I've turned Bluetooth off on that phone, so it should be fine right? Can't quite imagine that I would also have to literally go in and remove it from that phone list for it to be able to connect to a new device?
Perhaps a reset - they work pretty well with my iPhone and Sony DAP

Oct 17, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #57,564 of 62,389
Also - for the people who might have seen me gushing over the Pixel Buds Pro with the dual flange eartips from Noble awhile back...
Yes, the Pixel Buds can sound really impressive, but I've realized that it's actually the eartips themselves that seems to make music sound fantastic.
Not sure if this is what everybody else gets with regular eartips and just my earcanals being wonky, but it does seem like the dual flange eartips really make the earbud go deep into my earcanals.

I've always dismissed multi-flanged eartips because of trying probably some way too small triple flange ear plugs that just felt like I was molesting my ear, so I've dismissed these for a long time.
So far they've improved the sound in comparison to other tips I've tried on the Pixel Buds, the Fokus Mystiques and the Technics AZ80. At least giving an extra sense of space in the music and improved clarity and the perceived instrument separation by quite a lot.

Oct 17, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #57,565 of 62,389
Perhaps a reset - they work pretty well with my iPhone and Sony DAP
I did a reset on the buds as well, no go. They just beep in my ears and never connect.
They even show up in the bluetooth settings, i press pair, accept the pair request, and then it shows up in my active devices for like a couple of seconds and then just goes in the "linked" list off products that are supposed to be paired but not currently connected. Pressing connect does nothing either.

Edit:
I've realized that this seems to be an issue with my Google Pixel Fold. Anybody else with the Pixel Fold had any issues with products not connecting? It seems like a complete crapshoot on which products work or not. My Technics AZ80? Works perfectly. Pixel Buds? Bueno. Fokus Mystiques - Sure, no problem. Focal Bathys and Hifiman Deva Pro? Works.
Hifiman Svanar? Nope. Aviot TE-Z1PNK? Nopenope, exact same thing as with the Hifiman.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #57,566 of 62,389
Amazingly the best TWS are reaching at least the $100 IEM range in sound. Of course the TWS smoke theme
in coolness 😎. Two small computers sitting in your ears converting digital data to music, total science fiction 20 years ago…. 👍
To be fair $100 IEMs now and $100 IEMs in 2003 were very different affairs. I don’t want to say this but it wouldn’t surprise me if the average TWS has better sound than my old IE8s from 13 years ago. Driver configuration is similar to the late 00s IEMs too

Oct 17, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #57,567 of 62,389
Not sure if this is what everybody else gets with regular eartips and just my earcanals being wonky, but it does seem like the dual flange eartips really make the earbud go deep into my earcanals.

i bought the Pixel Buds Pro last week. so my experience is rather new with them (i was using using the Soundcore Liberty Pro 3 for the last year or so), but i'm positively surprised.
ok, the default sound is too basshead (and i'm a bit basshead myself), but with some tweaks in the EQ, i've found a really good sound. with the original silicon tips.

the soundstage of the Soundcore L3P is bigger and better, but it's natural. the dual drivers help a lot.
but these Pixel Buds Pro don't loose for much in the sound quality department. and the ANC and transparency mode are far far better in the Pixels, imo.
with these last aditional features the Buds Pro are becoming a safe bet to be a workhorse, for me.

i now use the Soundcore L3P for more audiophile days at home.

Oct 17, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #57,568 of 62,389
So other than DPP/Bose/MTW3/SamsungFE....

Anyone know any premium end buds that feature stability fins/wings on them?

Oct 17, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #57,569 of 62,389

Users who are viewing this thread

Back