Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 2, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #57,211 of 62,435
OK, it turns out I had turned on Dolby Atmos in my phone. So some the bigger sound stage was coming from that.

Interestingly I turned it off and then tried the Jabra spatial and it sounded great! Now I have to play with both and see what happens.

I used Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon in Dolby Atmos from Amazon music for my test.
I think the whole spatial enhancers are cumbersome to navigate, I have separate toggle in my TWS app and in my phone settings. I'm not really sure what effects I'm using, if I'm not stacking these effects. It seems manufacturers focus on putting as much magic into these products and we've since passed the moment when the buds were convenient to use. I have some ideas as to why the Denon app requires both buds to be connected, but other apps are fine with single bud.

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #57,212 of 62,435
Well it does exist for the Audeze Maxwell.
The Audeze has multiple radios and LC3 Plus is for the non Bluetooth ones. The marketing isn’t clear on that but Fraunhofer who owns LC3 are very clear. It is a good use of LC3 Plus too and what it was designed for, since they can shave a few milliseconds off latency which is useful for gaming.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #57,214 of 62,435
Yeah, you're not kidding about the Jabra's, the volume on these is very very low! Even sitting home alone I want to listen to these at like honestly 90% volume. Even 100 doesn't feel like it's much too loud. Like, even if I don't want to listen to them on a louder volume than this, I would prefer having the headroom.

My first impressions are that I'm not a super huge fan of the angled eartips. Like in a way I feel like they've done something special with the eartips to make the earbuds almost feel like they're not even there. To me they just feel TOO little in some weird way, like they're not fitting properly even though they're sitting snug and tight in my ears. Many people would love that though, so props to them for that.

I need more time with them to say anything about the sound, but I tried the Spatial Audio with head tracking, and even though I think it's pretty cool and works OK, I feel like it's way too sensitive. Like one small movement with my head that's hardly even something I would even notice doing if I weren't trying the head tracking is enough to put the music way too much towards one channel than the other one when it should still be PRETTY much centered. Like it would need to either be way less sensitive or just have way more degrees between being in the middle and totally to one side.

The sound so far is surprising to me, haven't liked any Jabras i've tried. These sound pretty good, but so far I haven't really EQ'd them as much as I need to, I think. The vocals are slightly more thin-sounding than I would prefer out of the box, but there's something about them and the way that they present the audio that is... intriguing.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #57,215 of 62,435
Yeah, you're not kidding about the Jabra's, the volume on these is very very low! Even sitting home alone I want to listen to these at like honestly 90% volume. Even 100 doesn't feel like it's much too loud. Like, even if I don't want to listen to them on a louder volume than this, I would prefer having the headroom.

My first impressions are that I'm not a super huge fan of the angled eartips. Like in a way I feel like they've done something special with the eartips to make the earbuds almost feel like they're not even there. To me they just feel TOO little in some weird way, like they're not fitting properly even though they're sitting snug and tight in my ears. Many people would love that though, so props to them for that.

I need more time with them to say anything about the sound, but I tried the Spatial Audio with head tracking, and even though I think it's pretty cool and works OK, I feel like it's way too sensitive. Like one small movement with my head that's hardly even something I would even notice doing if I weren't trying the head tracking is enough to put the music way too much towards one channel than the other one when it should still be PRETTY much centered. Like it would need to either be way less sensitive or just have way more degrees between being in the middle and totally to one side.

The sound so far is surprising to me, haven't liked any Jabras i've tried. These sound pretty good, but so far I haven't really EQ'd them as much as I need to, I think. The vocals are slightly more thin-sounding than I would prefer out of the box, but there's something about them and the way that they present the audio that is... intriguing.
My initial thoughts on the Elite 10 were here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/page-3786

I want to say I haven't returned them yet I have a couple of more days to do that. The fit was the first thing I noticed. I am sure some really like the feel but I haven't been able to feel okay with it, but that is just me. I guess it is comfortable but I still find myself questioning the fit rather than just going with it. OCD I guess.

One of the main reasons I have held on to them is the I like the "silicon" coated surface and the fact that they are waterproof. I use TWS a lot by the pool. It is October so I know some of you are scratching your head as to why I am worried about the pool. I live in Florida and we are still navigating through 80F degree temps. I recently made a comment about possibly picking up the B&O EX again. They were one of my all-time favorites from a SQ standpoint and are waterproof as well.

The case on the Jabra's is the perfect size.

The controls are also nice, I like the clicky buttons as they are simple to use and easy to access.

The sound to me still sounds incoherent. The bass does not blend in, it is on it's own "island" so to speak. There is clarity in the upper and treble range, but it is more clarity than quality. Meaning, between the mids and treble the sound is clarity focused, but they seem to lack texture or sparkle quality, very midrange focused with bass thrown in. I agree they are not the loudest I have heard.

I immediately turned off head tracking. Spatial audio is an okay feature it just seems a little processed to me. With or without spatial audio I found a more V or U shaped curve on the EQ helped the sound quality a lot.

I am upping my opinion of the ANC a bit, it does an above average job, especially given the fit and open design.

The app is well done and has plenty of settings and features. Probably ranks 2nd behind the Sony app IMO.

For most users I would say the overall package ranks up their with the Technics AZ80. I am not sure they are staying with me but I have sold or returned everything but the Svanar and 3ANC so we will see. I can get a used B&O EX for $215.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #57,216 of 62,435
My initial thoughts on the Elite 10 were here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/page-3786

I want to say I haven't returned them yet I have a couple of more days to do that. The fit was the first thing I noticed. I am sure some really like the feel but I haven't been able to feel okay with it, but that is just me. I guess it is comfortable but I still find myself questioning the fit rather than just going with it. OCD I guess.

One of the main reasons I have held on to them is the I like the "silicon" coated surface and the fact that they are waterproof. I use TWS a lot by the pool. It is October so I know some of you are scratching your head as to why I am worried about the pool. I live in Florida and we are still navigating through 80F degree temps. I recently made a comment about possibly picking up the B&O EX again. They were one of my all-time favorites from a SQ standpoint and are waterproof as well.

The case on the Jabra's is the perfect size.

The controls are also nice, I like the clicky buttons as they are simple to use and easy to access.

The sound to me still sounds incoherent. The bass does not blend in, it is on it's own "island" so to speak. There is clarity in the upper and treble range, but it is more clarity than quality. Meaning, between the mids and treble the sound is clarity focused, but they seem to lack texture or sparkle quality, very midrange focused with bass thrown in. I agree they are not the loudest I have heard.

I immediately turned off head tracking. Spatial audio is an okay feature it just seems a little processed to me. With or without spatial audio I found a more V or U shaped curve on the EQ helped the sound quality a lot.

I am upping my opinion of the ANC a bit, it does an above average job, especially given the fit and open design.

The app is well done and has plenty of settings and features. Probably ranks 2nd behind the Sony app IMO.

For most users I would say the overall package ranks up their with the Technics AZ80. I am not sure they are staying with me but I have sold or returned everything but the Svanar and 3ANC so we will see. I can get a used B&O EX for $215.
Yeah, the fit is an issue to me. I can also tell when I push them further into my ears and holding my fingers against them, or even just twisting them/trying to angle them up slightly in my ears the sound just feels a lot more "full", so it's like it really should have had a deeper fit for the best audio quality, but they chose comfort as their main priority instead.

I also agree that the sound feels a bit incoherent, but that same sort-of-incoherence is also at the same time something that I felt was a bit interesting.
Like, if these were my only buds I might feel a bit disappointed at the sound of them, because to me it's mostly like the spatial audio just throwing the sound out there but sort of leaving the bass in the middle of the soundstage? It's also the fact that you can sort of hear bass guitar in certain tracks being slightly panned out from center, but you still have that separate bass-rumble that's sort of sub-bass-ish in the middle. I also feel like the bass overall just kinda goes away and comes back at different times....
But if I instead of that look at it more at just the soundstage it actually puts out it's somewhat impressive. I feel like there's both width and depth to it as well, and the clarity is impressive even if it's more quantitative than qualitative as you say.
But like I said, since these aren't my only buds I think these definitely are interesting and sound different to most of the other earbuds I own/have heard.
It really feels like the spatial audio puts you in a room with the band, more so than something like the Nuratrue Pro's. But the difference is that the Nuratrue's implementation for sure sounds BETTER, where the Nuratrue's have impact and overall "oomph", this has a larger space and also feels a bit more like you are in that "space" with the music.

The ANC seems to be pure ass for me though, but I wasn't expecting miracles either from what I had read.

I can unfortunately not return these due to our consumer laws regarding earbuds (due to the fact that they're used in close proximity to the body, or in this case actually somewhat inside the body) and similar products, so if you open the package and try them you're crap outta luck. So I'm definitely going to try to like them at least.
But I don't see them taking the place as my daily drivers, that spot goes to the Svanar and the AZ80 right now, depending on what I'm doing and where I am.
These don't sound anywhere near as good as even the AZ80's, and the only point I'm giving these over the AZ80 is the slimmer case, and the fact that they have spatial audio at all. But that's literally about it, the rest goes to the AZ80's. Comfort-wise it's a tie for me personally, but I think many people would think the AZ80's are more comfortable.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #57,217 of 62,435
Yeah, the fit is an issue to me. I can also tell when I push them further into my ears and holding my fingers against them, or even just twisting them/trying to angle them up slightly in my ears the sound just feels a lot more "full", so it's like it really should have had a deeper fit for the best audio quality, but they chose comfort as their main priority instead.

I also agree that the sound feels a bit incoherent, but that same sort-of-incoherence is also at the same time something that I felt was a bit interesting.
Like, if these were my only buds I might feel a bit disappointed at the sound of them, because to me it's mostly like the spatial audio just throwing the sound out there but sort of leaving the bass in the middle of the soundstage? It's also the fact that you can sort of hear bass guitar in certain tracks being slightly panned out from center, but you still have that separate bass-rumble that's sort of sub-bass-ish in the middle. I also feel like the bass overall just kinda goes away and comes back at different times....
But if I instead of that look at it more at just the soundstage it actually puts out it's somewhat impressive. I feel like there's both width and depth to it as well, and the clarity is impressive even if it's more quantitative than qualitative as you say.
But like I said, since these aren't my only buds I think these definitely are interesting and sound different to most of the other earbuds I own/have heard.
It really feels like the spatial audio puts you in a room with the band, more so than something like the Nuratrue Pro's. But the difference is that the Nuratrue's implementation for sure sounds BETTER, where the Nuratrue's have impact and overall "oomph", this has a larger space and also feels a bit more like you are in that "space" with the music.

The ANC seems to be pure ass for me though, but I wasn't expecting miracles either from what I had read.

I can unfortunately not return these due to our consumer laws regarding earbuds (due to the fact that they're used in close proximity to the body, or in this case actually somewhat inside the body) and similar products, so if you open the package and try them you're crap outta luck. So I'm definitely going to try to like them at least.
But I don't see them taking the place as my daily drivers, that spot goes to the Svanar and the AZ80 right now, depending on what I'm doing and where I am.
These don't sound anywhere near as good as even the AZ80's, and the only point I'm giving these over the AZ80 is the slimmer case, and the fact that they have spatial audio at all. But that's literally about it, the rest goes to the AZ80's. Comfort-wise it's a tie for me personally, but I think many people would think the AZ80's are more comfortable.
I had to use the largest tips for fit. Once I got the right fit ANC worked much better.

My test for fit was the shake test. If I shake my head with the smaller tips the TWS moves in my ear. There is no movement with the largest tips. For some though that might actually mean a smaller tip as it's all ear dependent.

The biggest thing about the design is they never fully feel secure as compared to normal TWS tips. So I just force myself to accept they fit differently. I still fiddle with them, but it's getting less and less.

Having said all this these may just fit my ears better than other people. Like most TWS they are not going to work for everyone.

I feel your pain on returns @Juturna, most stores in Canada have a zero return policy on opened headphones. I hope you can find a way to make them work. I took a chance buying from Best Buy, was tempted by direct from Jabra because of the 100 day return policy.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #57,218 of 62,435
I had to use the largest tips for fit. Once I got the right fit ANC worked much better.

My test for fit was the shake test. If I shake my head with the smaller tips the TWS moves in my ear. There is no movement with the largest tips. For some though that might actually mean a smaller tip as it's all ear dependent.

The biggest thing about the design is they never fully feel secure as compared to normal TWS tips. So I just force myself to accept they fit differently. I still fiddle with them, but it's getting less and less.

Having said all this these may just fit my ears better than other people. Like most TWS they are not going to work for everyone.

I feel your pain on returns @Juturna, most stores in Canada have a zero return policy on opened headphones. I hope you can find a way to make them work.
There is no movement with the Large eartips for me, I still think they're too small for me though. With ANC on the Jabras let in more noise than 90% of my other TWSs would even when they have ambient mode/HearThrough on.

When I walk next to the same street as I'm walking on now with the Svanars I can BARELY hear the traffic, with these even with ANC on the sound of cars almost overpowered the music completely.

So yeah, thank you Jabra for making nozzles that probably won't fit any normal eartips but also not including enough eartips to cover somebody who just has slightly larger than average ear canals. Woooo!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #57,219 of 62,435
I wonder if enough people ask, they might offer an extra extra large tip. Samsung had the same issue but it was even worse as they only offered 3 size and the large was more like a medium large.

The tip design was my biggest concern buying them.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #57,220 of 62,435
I wonder if enough people ask, they might offer an extra extra large tip. Samsung had the same issue but it was even worse as the only offer 3 size and the large was more like a medium large.

I think an XL tip would be enough for most anyway? I mean the ones on there from the start must've been the medium and then I switched to the large, and no larger eartips than that were supplied.

But yeah I think they REALLY should. They're a big enough brand with a nozzle shape that's unique enough that they need to give the option for bigger eartips.

Edit: I'm dumb. Yes, an extra XL eartip, lol.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #57,221 of 62,435
LOL, I made the same mistake when trying them on. The fact they come with medium installed so the package has small, large, and extra large is confusing :xf_cool: .

So did you use the largest tips they had?

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #57,222 of 62,435
I wonder if enough people ask, they might offer an extra extra large tip. Samsung had the same issue but it was even worse as they only offered 3 size and the large was more like a medium large.

Same here. Also the tips of the samsung galaxy buds 2 pro didn't reach far enough into my ears. Fixed that somewhat by ordering oval double flanged tips of AliExpress. Wouldn't really recommend it though, since they sometimes come loose and you'll have to wiggle your ear to get your tip back :D

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHY9fgJ

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #57,223 of 62,435
I am excited LC3 is coming to both Samsung S23 Ultra AND the Technics AZ80 :D

Anyone tried Bose QC ultra yet? Wondering if I should give them a try for perhaps the best ANC and good call quality. Audio quality would be a big question however... Devialet call quality is crap, Unique melody same issue.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #57,224 of 62,435
New Sivga Robin wireless 😁

20231002_162109_compress3.jpg

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #57,225 of 62,435
I just listened to Sweet Child O'Mine and the vocals at the end of the song are insane. I have heard that song I have no idea how many times and never realized the one line line comes right up the middle like that! It sent shivers down my spine! That's with Atmos in the phone and spatial audio turned off. If I turn it on whether by phone or by the Jabra app it sound even a bit more freaky.

Speaking of Atmos, I apologize if mislead anyone. I did not realize I had turned it back on in the phone which did account for some of that sound stage. I like both the phone and the Jabra versions, they are very different but both work well for different songs. It's like 2 different headphones. The phone Atmos for music is harder hitting and very intense. The Jabra is more subdued and take the edge off songs a bit.

I do get the comments about the bass by some people though. At times it is almost like it's separate, but it is very song dependant.

But for a lover of wide and enveloping sound these really are special.

BTW I agree who ever said the head ttracking is to sensitive. It's fun but it's just to distracting because even smaller head movements are tracked. Might be fun as heck for movies though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back