Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 31, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #55,936 of 62,458
It appears the new A&K are supposed to be released around the end of September? Anyone see anything different? I am sitting here with what I consider the top 3 best sounding TWS, the 3ANC, DPP and Svanar. Will pick up the A&K, but have zero interest in Noble.

Am I missing anything?

If I was ranking these three on SQ;

SQ
1) Svanar- audiophile tuning, great balance, full and rich
2) DPP - spacious, lush, great staging
3) 3ANC - love the 3 driver setup(2 BA, 1 DD)- bass is solid, deep. Mids provide much clarity and treble is non-offensive
Technics AZ80 is often undeservedly overlooked esp. if you are on Android with LDAC support.
Just yesterday I was doing head to head testing between BTR7 with Monarch MK2 and AZ80.
To my surprise, the difference was not as big as I anticipated, yes, MMK2 is more detailed with better control, but AZ80 was not a slouch and with Treble+ preset and Azla Crystal tips was about 80% of MMK2 if not more, the timbre was nice and pleasant, enough details, non offensive treble, great bass and even bigger soundstage, enough to enjoy the same material without feeling that things are really missing.
Should add to that stable connectivity even with LDAC 990/909, and well thought out application with even ability to remap touch controls.
Many pass it due to bass heavy default tuning which is meant for mainstream (guilty myself as almost returned them), but with Treble+ or Custom it has more traditional audiophile tuning and really opens up, and they really like more volume, some reviews mentioned that too.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #55,937 of 62,458
Off topic but anyone have the latest Ananda stealth or nano variants and able to comment on which they prefer?
Jabra always temps me and then I'm disappointed when compared to other options. That said, here's a $75 off coupon that brings the Elite 10 down to $175 from Jabra's site: PERKSPOT2023
You'll return them. We both know it...

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #55,938 of 62,458
OK, you Denon Perl Pro fans.

Is the sound with all the bells and whistles enabled one you like all the time, or does it ever feel fake and you turn off settings? Like I did after playing with some of the 3D features in some TWS.

I ask because I hear it sounds different than traditional TWS/IEMs and want to make sure if I bought a pair I would use that all the time or not.

Second question, do they work well enough to be an all rounder TWS?

Last question, fit wise how comfortable are they and will I need to mess around with tips or fiddle with them in ear alot?
I turn off the spatial audio when listening to music/youtube in general. I only turn it on when watching a movie. You need to use the "personalized" setting with the DPP. You can toggle it on/off easily through the app, but the difference is huge imho.

If you can fit the DPP into your ears, it can be used as an all rounder. It has good call quality, good ANC, good transparency mode, very very loud volume, good battery life. The only thing it doesn't do well is being stealthy because of the huge faceplate.

They are pretty confortable actually because the actual body that goes into your ears is pretty well shaped and there is a silicone sleeve that you can take out if it is too big for you. And they also give you another sleeve with a wing for better fitment.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #55,939 of 62,458
I have a few larger TWS. So long as the piece that goes into the ear is comfy I am fine with larger.

The Svanar are big beasts for example but super comfy because the concha portion fits really well.

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #55,940 of 62,458

Is the sound with all the bells and whistles enabled one you like all the time, or does it ever feel fake and you turn off settings? Like I did after playing with some of the 3D features in some TWS.

I ask because I hear it sounds different than traditional TWS/IEMs and want to make sure if I bought a pair I would use that all the time or not.

Last question, fit wise how comfortable are they and will I need to mess around with tips or fiddle with them in ear alot?
I remember your ears having a decent size to them from a few pages back.

Really nice ears.

If the DPP fits then it can be an all rounder. I used to use the Fokus Pro for music and the Oppo Enco X for phone calls. Now I just use the Denon.

I don't fiddle with mine on runs or around the house, I find them secure from the eartips and the hooky bits.

As for sound. The Svanar from what I've read is the more realistic sound if it's naturalness that you're after.

The Denon doesn't play back like a studio recording but rather like a speaker system. Some music is designed for speakers, some is designed for live moments.

So for me with Psytrance, drum n bass + other electronic, they can't be beaten, even by wired sets.

They still play other recordings back incredibly well, I'm surprised by how clear the treble is on them, maybe even better than the Fokus Pro in detail.

I do think it's fair to say male vocals don't extend as far as on a BA set though. Listening to Johnny Cash - Hurt right now. It does sound live and realistic. His voice is forward and full but it doesn't have that lasting resonance in the air at the end of notes.

Doesn't stop me enjoying music, and only mentioning it as I know more about your ears than your music preference. If you like slow male music you probably get better extension with the Svanar.

Female vocals do however. Listening to Dido - Here With Me and I don't have the same experience.

As for design, I don't have a problem with wacky designs. But I've also been wearing these to the office (with my pants on) and find them kinda classy. You know how sometimes you grow into the thing you wear? I think they're pretty cool now when I see my reflection with them in.

Also spatial audio is always on for me.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #55,941 of 62,458
I probably listen to female vocals a bit more than male vocals. But I do like Johnny Cash singing Hurt :). I will give it a whirl between a couple of different TWS including the Svanar and see how it sounds.

I listen to a lot of Jazz, Celtic, older rock music like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Eagle, etc, some country, some folk, lots of sound track stuff from Hans Zimmer, lots of classical with a slant towards Arvo Part and composers like him. The classical can range from full orchestra to full choral, to minimalistic very simple music. I used to own the Sony XBA-Z5 and LOVED how BIG and grand it sounded, it made Hans Zimmer just rattle my brain and took song like Zombie by Nelly McKay and turn them into 3D extravaganza's. I miss that sound... So I am hoping maybe the Perl Pro might fill that void...

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #55,942 of 62,458
Interesting, I switched back and forth between MTW3 (no ANC, 990, 32bit), Svanar Wireless, and AZ80 (no ANC, 990, 32bit) listening to Johnny Cash Hurt

MTW3 sounded nice and full with a lot of warmth. But the strings lost some of the sustain and lingering notes, the vocals were nice but also lack a bit of the emotion.
Svanar Wireless the guitars sounded amazing with lots of detail. The vocals were better than MTW3 but not quite as emotive as I would like.
AZ80 - The guitars are right in between the MTW3 and the Svanar. The vocals though were actually a bit more emotive.

I appreciated the Svanar because of the guitars, but nod went to the AZ80 because of the better vocals....

The MTW3 probably got spanked because my phone can only do APTx versus Adaptive. Might try it again with just AAC. I was surprised Well AAC didn't help in this case. Still lacked compared to the other 2. Nice sounding but not as good as the others in this case.

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #55,943 of 62,458
How important is it to APTx lossless with the Perl Pro? I am stuck with APTx only on my Fold 4...

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #55,944 of 62,458
How important is it to APTx lossless with the Perl Pro? I am stuck with APTx only on my Fold 4...
Unless your song files all lossless aka WAV files, it doesn't make that much difference imho. Even then it is just a matter of "Damn, I have all this High Resolution songs but I can only play it at ???kbps" type of thing. Can you hear a HUGE difference? maybe, but not me. I use AptX with my S23U and AptX Adaptive on my Huawei and Oppo phone, the only difference is the latency. Frankly speaking, if you just watching youtube or local files, AptX doesn't have any delay at all. It is when you are playing games that will be affected.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #55,946 of 62,458
Unless your song files all lossless aka WAV files, it doesn't make that much difference imho. Even then it is just a matter of "Damn, I have all this High Resolution songs but I can only play it at ???kbps" type of thing. Can you hear a HUGE difference? maybe, but not me. I use AptX with my S23U and AptX Adaptive on my Huawei and Oppo phone, the only difference is the latency. Frankly speaking, if you just watching youtube or local files, AptX doesn't have any delay at all. It is when you are playing games that will be affected.
I do have some hi-res music and can hear a small difference between LDAC best effort versus 990/32 but not by much, certainly not the be all end all for me. Driver ability, tuning, etc are more important. The Svanar Wireless for example sound the best on LDAC 990/32 but it sounds better than most TWS using AAC with them using their best codec. Long winded way of saying the TWS as a whole is more important than the sum of one part (codec).

The Perl intrigue the heck out of me. I have a feeling they would fill that void for the most part... the 3ANC also intrigue but I have a feeling while they will be good due to the hybrid driver configuration, the sound will be more conventional compared to the Perl Pro.

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #55,947 of 62,458
How do the Perl pro sound on a iPhone..Would they be worth getting as a iPhone only user ?
Are use mine on my iPhone exclusively. They are the best sounding earbuds I have owned— including the recently released XM5. I’m continuously surprised at how full, rich and detailed they sound. I have some high end wired IEM‘s. You can hear a clear difference, but the perl pro still have a wow factor for me and are much more convenient.

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #55,948 of 62,458
Technics AZ80 is often undeservedly overlooked esp. if you are on Android with LDAC support.
Just yesterday I was doing head to head testing between BTR7 with Monarch MK2 and AZ80.
To my surprise, the difference was not as big as I anticipated, yes, MMK2 is more detailed with better control, but AZ80 was not a slouch and with Treble+ preset and Azla Crystal tips was about 80% of MMK2 if not more, the timbre was nice and pleasant, enough details, non offensive treble, great bass and even bigger soundstage, enough to enjoy the same material without feeling that things are really missing.
Should add to that stable connectivity even with LDAC 990/909, and well thought out application with even ability to remap touch controls.
Many pass it due to bass heavy default tuning which is meant for mainstream (guilty myself as almost returned them), but with Treble+ or Custom it has more traditional audiophile tuning and really opens up, and they really like more volume, some reviews mentioned that too.
Thanks man. I already owned the AZ80. I thought it was a great package all of the way around but it just didn't excel at anything except being one of the most complete TWS packages.

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #55,949 of 62,458
How do the Perl pro sound on a iPhone..Would they be worth getting as a iPhone only user ?
I’d like to know the same.

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #55,950 of 62,458

Okay...yes the personalized sound is the one I leave it set on. To my ears it doesn't sound artificial, it sounds wonderful. I re-purchased the DPP a couple of days ago and they haven't left my ears, except to compare to Svanar and 3ANC. I do listen to jazz with them but they are exceptional for rock. Fit is going to be subjective, but I put on the large wings, and large tips and go with a shallow fit and they are locked in. I also tried the CP360, which seemed super comfortable as well.

I have attached screen shots of my settings. Any questions, I am happy to answer, but they are so enjoyable.

Screenshot_20230831-183906.pngScreenshot_20230831-183922.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back