Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #55,351 of 63,208
I cannot comment on the XM5's but had XM4's and I did not like the SQ (typical Sony bass heavy SQ) and there is no way it can compare to the FW5's which is all about SQ where Sony are more about the ANC but I do read the new XM5 sound different/better to some.

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #55,352 of 63,208
After reading this I was wondering: I bought the MTW3, Perl Pro and XM5 to compare them and keep the "best" one. If I were to spend that budget of +-330 EUR (I know MTW3 are cheaper, but my budget allows the extra) on a wired IEM instead. What would people recommend in this price category? I might try it out to see how much better they sound to me and if it's worth sticking to wired or if the practical side wins versus sound quality.
Id go for something with EST drivers like the ISN EST50, Soundrhyme DTE or the Penon 10th.

Imo there isn't anything that unique in the iem space as everything is just a different version of the same style. Until you get to EST drivers which create lightning storms in your mind.

https://penonaudio.com/earphones/in-ear-earphones/est-iem.html

Aug 15, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #55,353 of 63,208
I’ll say that yes, my wired stuff is better in a lot of ways, but the difference between it and a good TWS isn’t huge.

Id say that my Aful Performer 8 (a great $370 IEM) in terms of just sound quality is better than my MTW3’s, but only by maybe 10% if I’m really listening closely. In terms of frequency response I feel that I have my MTW3 EQ’ed somewhat closely so they aren’t miles apart.
While I do like tws (in fact I have 6 pairs of tws) I strongly disagree with you... I have mtw3 and my $200 iem beat the crap out of it in terms of sq, my 1k iem are prob 15% better than the $300 pair, but man, even my sis who only uses airpods can easily say the $200 falcon ultra is way better than the mtw3.

Aug 15, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #55,354 of 63,208
While I do like tws (in fact I have 6 pairs of tws) I strongly disagree with you... I have mtw3 and my $200 iem beat the crap out of it in terms of sq, my 1k iem are prob 15% better than the $300 pair, but man, even my sis who only uses airpods can easily say the $200 falcon ultra is way better than the mtw3.
Maybe my ears aren’t as good.

My Aful Performer 8’s do definitely sound better than my MTW3’s, but it’s not by a huge percentage.

I will add that I like both the APP2’s and the MTW3’s more than the Truthear Hexa that everyone was raving about months ago. I think the Hexa sounds worse than both of them.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #55,355 of 63,208
In Japan thats a quite commong thing, i see people with DAP and even external amps quite often in Trains.

But yes, in most countries, that is not the case. But there are several reasons for this. Most people don't know that DAPs exist like at all. If you go to your local electronic store, they are not there.

In addition to that, people don't spend much money on music anyway and never did. People don't spend much money on earphone, why should they spend money on an DAP?

If you don't have good headphones/earphones, you don't need a DAP. You don't buy race slicks for an 60hp Volkswagen Polo that you use twice a week for shopping at Walmart.

Most people watch movies using streaming services, even though blurays look much better

1691942301039.png

Most people i know don't even set spotify to the highest quality because they either don't care about it and don't know this feature exists, or to save data.

So yes, most people don't care about quality. But thats their decision. I don't care if most people use TWS, ChiFi IEM, Japanese IEM or whatever.

Most people i know think that there is no big difference in quality anyway and that its all a scam. And when they test drive my gear and notice, its an insane big difference, they do the calculation and come to the conclusion, its not worth for them.

"Who spends 1000$ on an high qualty earphone that will last 10+ years? Are you insane? How am i supposed to afford my Chinese Smartphone that will maybe last 2 years if i am lucky for 1200+$ that has a lot of features i never use nor need, but i can use to show off to other people what i am able to afford."

If someone is looking at the image and thinks its fake

The bitrate of an FullHD BluRay is 50mbit/s
The bitrate of an 4K Netflix stream is 15mbit/s
The bitrate of an 4K BluRay is around 80-130mbit/s (Highly depending on Movie and Scene)
It's so funny you mentioned se846 vs chifi j
in your signature lol, I had my se846 for more than 10 years and now a $200 chifi iem are far superior in terms of sq.

But I can get why you hold the belief tho, given your list you prob only listen to acg and some jpop/rock. tg 334/335 are not bad, for acg they are prob one of the goats but man if you listen to any classical music they are atrocious.

Final and fitear are like the the 3 michelin star Japanese restaurants in town, once you experienced too much you know it's more about the name

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #55,356 of 63,208
Truthear Hexa that everyone was raving about months ago. I think the Hexa sounds worse than both of them.
I didn't listen to the Hexa but from the reviews it sounded like everyone was raving about a "neutral flat" frequency response which to me sounds boring af.

FR hype will never make sense to me in this hobby. Dynamics and technicals are so much more important.

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #55,357 of 63,208
I didn't listen to the Hexa but from the reviews it sounded like everyone was raving about a "neutral flat" frequency response which to me sounds boring af.

FR hype will never make sense to me in this hobby. Dynamics and technicals are so much more important.

I don’t mind neutral/flat. Neutral/flat can still have dynamics and technicals. I have my MTW3’s EQ’ed to sound somewhat close to my Aful Performer 8’s. I would have thought that the Hexa would have sounded more fun than my Etymotic ER4SR, but they did not.

Aug 15, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #55,360 of 63,208
For anyone who hasn’t tried them, consider giving the SednaEarfit MAX for TWS a shot. I have them on my MTW3 and they made the fit and isolation so much better, for me. I also have them on the Mystique. A real pain to get the tips on those thick nozzles, but so worth it. Getting more for some of my other TWS.

The downside? $20 for two pairs. This is highway robbery. 🤑 But… they are so good… 🤤
Have you tried Standard, it's just 7.6mm in height for M size (shallow already) and actually recommended by Azla for majority of TWS IEMs. Works wonders on Technics AZ80, literally makes them disappear in the ears.

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #55,361 of 63,208
Going back and forth between the ANW02 and PerL Pro. The ANW02 can reach up to a similar volume as the PerL Pro (High Gain OFF). The treble seems more refined on the ANW02 then what I generated on the PerL Pro, sounds more neutral on PerL. The bass is on the lower end frequency almost like the clear bass found on Sony XM TWS, definitely prefer the bass on the PerL. While the PerL Pro has an unbeaten Soundstage, the ANW02 is more focused on Imaging. Which does a very good job. Made a comment earlier that the instruments sound more lively, more engaging too the more I listen to them. Will still give instrument separation by a notch to the PerL Pro. A few findings comparing both. Will comeback with more

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #55,362 of 63,208
I was certainly one of those that said that a cheap iem can easily compete with a high end TWS. I think I said around $50 would be enough, but as you have plumped for $85, your now in TOTL TWS territory :ksc75smile:

The Truthear x Crinacle Red at $55. From an SQ perspective - for me - beats any TWS that I have (including the XM5, MTW3, and Mystique). But, when I buy a TWS I am buying for much more than the SQ - the utility of a TWS far, far outstrips IEMs, again, in my opinion.

But the good news is that IEMs and TWS serve somewhat (and possibly very) different needs, and thus there is plenty of room for both.

P.S. in my opinion this situation will not last forever. TWS are advancing very quickly and the technology in them (particularly the DSP technology, and in time coupled with even limited AI in the transmitting phone) will in time make even a modest TWS sound at least as good as any sub-TOTL IEM. But, that is just my opinion.

Better or worse is highly subjective IMO. As long as the product is competent technicality wise, it's so hard to separate them. I also agree highly regarded sub $100 IEMs (match your signature) could easily rival the sound of higher end TWS. Again it really varies on individuals. Like, I didn't like Technics AZ60 & AZ40 at all, but others loved them. XM3 & XM4 are alright sonic-wise, but XM3 can never stay on my ears, and XM4 too bulky for long session. On the hand, Galaxy Buds Pro was pretty fun to me. At the end of day I prefer IEMs + BT hooks combo. YMMV.

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #55,363 of 63,208
Interesting, Thanks for sharing picture. Let me try on another phone and see if I get the same
Hey, I got it working! I connected via VPN to Hong Kong, then disabled VPN when I got to the SMS challenge. Finally have it installed and working.

At first I didn't see the sound effects tile but repairing got me that and now I have LDAC:). It really does sound better. I guess it was worth the blood, sweat and tears!

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #55,364 of 63,208
Have you tried Standard, it's just 7.6mm in height for M size (shallow already) and actually recommended by Azla for majority of TWS IEMs. Works wonders on Technics AZ80, literally makes them disappear in the ears.
I will definitely give it a try!

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #55,365 of 63,208
Hey, I got it working! I connected via VPN to Hong Kong, then disabled VPN when I got to the SMS challenge. Finally have it installed and working.

At first I didn't see the sound effects tile but repairing got me that and now I have LDAC:). It really does sound better. I guess it was worth the blood, sweat and tears!
Did you keep the app as is and only connected to VPN in HK???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back