Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 23, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #53,746 of 62,214
No FCC filing for another M4U listed. Only the MKII, speakers, amps, and sound systems listed. Not a good sign either.
Well. I'll stop holding my breath for this one.

Jun 24, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #53,747 of 62,214
Lots of great options now, I’m torn between:

- Svanar Wireless (would have bought already if it had an app with eq)*

- Status Between 3ANC

- Final ZE8000

-Denon PerL/Nuratrue Pro

For the last few years I’ve been buying only Noble for tws, and while I love the sound after EQ they have each had technical or cosmetic QC issues including the Mystique.

My primary concern is audio quality, only “feature” needed is the ability to run with them. Very hard to find direct comparisons or even a single reviewer who has heard them all.

My source is an iPhone 14 Pro Max, so unfortunately I’m not able to take advantage of the fancy codecs.

*I emailed Hifiman regarding future app support and they said they’d “take my suggestion seriously”, so I’m considering waiting for an app and/or sale on the Svanar TWS

Jun 24, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #53,748 of 62,214
I honestly don't know what tws to recommend to people anymore.

I've started a new job and told them I'm into audio gear. Now some staff are asking me what tws they should buy and I'm tempted to just recommend the MTW3, Quitcomfort II or the Sony (all brands I don't touch). Without them knowing all the different nuances of every single brand and driver config etc, a reliable brand that wont have issues seems like the safest recommendation

Jun 24, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #53,749 of 62,214
As it seems Sony didn't announce the 1000XM5, I decided to pull the trigger for an iFi Go Pod. I intend to use it with some Sony M9, Beyerdynamic Xelento, JVC HA-FW1800... and listen what happens around sound quality and comfort.

Till now, I think many TWS really increased sound quality these last years (AZ80/Liberty 4/Buds2 pro) , but none can really reach sound quality that we get with some LDAC BT Receivers like FIIO BTR7/Go Blu with most of my IEM... and the gap is even worse when the LDAC BT receiver is a WM1A/Kann Alpha still with same IEM.... and of course nothing is near a good Headphone DCA Stealth + FIIO M17 (or even some Ed15 Veritas, Z7M2 with WM1A) at least concerning the stage in front of us.
But ...................... only TWS are really easy to use anywhere outdoor with already a decent sound quality => so, I think, it's worth to still explore this way with future LDAC TWS like 1000XM5 or Svanar (when it gets an Android App).

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #53,750 of 62,214
I like to use the Spinfit CP360 for many of the TWS I try. I use the XL which means I have a few L just sitting around, if anyone would like to trade L for XL hit me up!

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #53,751 of 62,214
To my ears the fit feels firm. The Nura too but less. My ears feel a bit discomfort from the Svanar if placed on for a certain time. Bass is punchy but clean. Doesn't compare to the Nura's bass though. One complaint I do have about the Svanar is when switching to ANC and Transparency, the volume suffers as it becomes lower but still loud enough. High Fidelity is the way to go if you like to bump it up.
Thanks for the input. Nura’s bass and soundstage are great for the epic trailer music I spend most of my time listening to. The earpieces just don’t work well with my ears 😞.
I’ll open up my Svanar Wireless soon, but I wanna get more use out of my new AZ80 before I probably set them aside in my drawer for the SW 😄

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #53,752 of 62,214
I honestly don't know what tws to recommend to people anymore.

I've started a new job and told them I'm into audio gear. Now some staff are asking me what tws they should buy and I'm tempted to just recommend the MTW3, Quitcomfort II or the Sony (all brands I don't touch). Without them knowing all the different nuances of every single brand and driver config etc, a reliable brand that wont have issues seems like the safest recommendation
I think that’s what most people want.
Ultimate convenience and good enough sound.
Also, most people I know don’t care and/or say they can’t tell a difference in sound unless it’s pretty huge.

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #53,753 of 62,214

- Status Between 3ANC

- Final ZE8000

-Denon PerL/Nuratrue Pro

For the last few years I’ve been buying only Noble for tws, and while I love the sound after EQ they have each had technical or cosmetic QC issues including the Mystique.

My primary concern is audio quality, only “feature” needed is the ability to run with them. Very hard to find direct comparisons or even a single reviewer who has heard them all.

My source is an iPhone 14 Pro Max, so unfortunately I’m not able to take advantage of the fancy codecs.

*I emailed Hifiman regarding future app support and they said they’d “take my suggestion seriously”, so I’m considering waiting for an app and/or sale on the Svanar TWS

You are missing out on the mystique. They sound phenomenal. No issues here. The fit is also excellent.

Jun 24, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #53,755 of 62,214

- Status Between 3ANC

- Final ZE8000

-Denon PerL/Nuratrue Pro

Kind of amusing. Cant throw an app together in 5 minutes. The life cycle of a top end tws is what a year? Probably too late for these already.

Jun 24, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #53,756 of 62,214
To my ears the fit feels firm. The Nura too but less. My ears feel a bit discomfort from the Svanar if placed on for a certain time. Bass is punchy but clean. Doesn't compare to the Nura's bass though. One complaint I do have about the Svanar is when switching to ANC and Transparency, the volume suffers as it becomes lower but still loud enough. High Fidelity is the way to go if you like to bump it up.
Assume you are using spatial audio on Nura?

Here is another Svanar review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-svanar-wireless.26572/reviews#review-31084

You say you prefer the detail retrieval of the Nura. In the past you have chalked that up to Aptx lossless rather than the iem itself even noting you can hear differences between LDAC and Aptx lossless in AB testing. Assume your opinion is limited to the codec and not the iem itself? You seemed to indicate you think the Svanar sounds better to your ears (as it does mine).

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #53,757 of 62,214
The more I use these AZ80 the more I like them. They may not be the best at any given category but they are always in the mix and when you combine that across all areas it's easy to make a case for them being a great all round TWS.

I actually can see why they priced them as much as the MSRP of the WF-1000XM4. They easily beat that model, have more features than it, the MTW3, Bose, and GB2P. But I bet they end up going for a discount often.

Having said that, all indications are the XM5 will be more expensive the the 4 in regard to MSRP which will place the AZ80 below Sony for pricing, so high, but in the pack for pricing.

it will be interesting to see how their low end model stacks up against Sony in the lower end tier. But I see no reason to buy them or the low end Sony just to find out.

I do find the battery dying throughout the day which indicates I am using these more than my other TWS and using them more on average than I was using my other TWS. Likely just the honeymoon phase. But it does show a need to have a second TWS handy for when that happens. I have generally switched to the MTW3 as they are basically my other favorite TWS at the moment. Not sure I can justify two top tier TWS so am hoping the Fiio FW3 might be a good alternate while I wait for AZ80 to recharge.

The FW3 is showing as in Calgary waiting for transit to final delivery office Which I am hoping means they will be out for delivery on Monday. If so, I will have a new TWS to experience.

I am thinking I need to clean out as many higher priced TWS as possible amongst othe electronic gadgets and try to ween off of the need to try new stuff so much, need to focus on finances... my "habit" is getting out of control... DOH!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #53,758 of 62,214

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-svanar-wireless.26572/reviews#review-31084

You say you prefer the detail retrieval of the Nura. In the past you have chalked that up to Aptx lossless rather than the iem itself even noting you can hear differences between LDAC and Aptx lossless in AB testing. Assume your opinion is limited to the codec and not the iem itself? You seemed to indicate you think the Svanar sounds better to your ears (as it does mine).
I don't really use processing features in TWS that much as it can effect audio quality. The Nuratrue Pro still has a better soundstage without DIRAC Virtuo. Well in my case I found some eartips can widen the soundstage after calibrating it with the Personalized Audio feature. The Svanar does sound a bit better as the sound is more full than the Nuratrue but like a said a bit better sounding. I compare both by listening to some rock songs from avenged sevenfold on Tidal but get going back to the Nura due to like I said I still prefer detail retrieval as primary. The higher the bitrate, the clearer the sound is. Everyone here has different taste. From bassheads, to reproductive purists, clarity enthusiast, etc

Jun 24, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #53,759 of 62,214

Curious if Svanar's performance rivals a good wired iem in terms of detail retrieval and imaging. However, I'm not spending $500 to find out. I wish Hifiman would do tour. So far, I have not ran into a TWS with such level of SQ. So, TWS are not on my mind for SQ, but for practical usage where wireless would provide convenience. It's pretty much a waste of time for me to chase TWS for sound quality.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #53,760 of 62,214
Curious if Svanar's performance rivals a good wired iem in terms of detail retrieval and imaging.
Yes although see the post above about the value of codecs for detail retrieval.
It's pretty much a waste of time for me to chase TWS for sound quality.
This statement sort of asks the wrong question. There are plenty of tws that can hang with a wired iem up to a certain point. After that, and depending on what equipment you are running, no they can’t but they aren’t intended to. I made this point upthread. Is a Porsche 911 a better car than a Honda accord? Well it depends on what you need your car to do. If you the absolute best sq and nothing else, i wouldn’t be shopping for a tws just like if I want the fastest performance car on the market I won’t shop for a Honda accord. TWS as a product category is not supposed to replace a wired iem plus dac/amp setup. It probably never will. But it’s not trying to or even supposed to. I will say the gap has narrowed in recent years but as wireless technology advances wired probably will too so there probably will always be a gap.

If you truly have “silverears” tws probably isn’t for you. Unless of course you need ANC, transparency, multipoint, spacial audio or the convenience of being wireless (very valuable).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back