Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 25, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #53,776 of 62,488
Recently got the APP2 and man, transparency mode is crystal clear. Makes me wonder, does anyone else do transparency as well…or even close? I have or have had SOUNDPEATS, Motorola, Noble, PI7, XM4 and don’t recall any of them have the lack of occlusion that the APP2 have. How are the AZ80? Nura? Thoughts? Wondering, like others, how XM5 will play out.
Totally with you on this. Occlusion is a big factor for me when using TWS for calls and I always use my APP 1. I think the setup that I have that surprises me and comes in at my #2 is my Shure TW2 adapters (slightly modified) with Senny IE200s. But always looking for this as well.

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #53,777 of 62,488
Totally with you on this. Occlusion is a big factor for me when using TWS for calls and I always use my APP 1. I think the setup that I have that surprises me and comes in at my #2 is my Shure TW2 adapters (slightly modified) with Senny IE200s. But always looking for this as well.
Agree on the Shure adapters. I had those for a while with a set of 535s. Very comfortable and effective transparency mode.

Jun 25, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #53,778 of 62,488
The way HFM implemented ANC on the Svanar is really interesting. By separating the ANC function from hifimode, I wonder if they’ve solved the problem of ANC detracting from sound quality. So if you want ANC, it’s available but if you want the best sq, go to Hifimode where ANC isn’t even available and the separate special DAC is implemented. Seems to me this is different than just having the ability to turn ANC off. My pure speculation is this implementation allows HFM to bypass the ANC circuitry entirely in Hifimode whereas a toggle to just turn off ANC on a standard tws may not be able to keep the signal as clean. Maybe someone who understands this stuff more than me could comment.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #53,780 of 62,488
I agree, however, they are replacing wired IEM's/DAC's...etc.. Except in the high end space... IEM's and Sources can get crazy (insane) expensive...
Check out the water cooler thread on Head Fi right now... $5,000 dollar cables alone...
My guess is advances in TWS, Bluetooth (or perhaps a new transmission method?) and onboard DSP will occur faster than advances in traditional wired setups so the gap will probably close faster than we think. With the ability to have sound personalization and DSP, it’s possible that wireless could even surpass wired but I’m sure that’s blasphemy here.

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #53,782 of 62,488
Recently got the APP2 and man, transparency mode is crystal clear. Makes me wonder, does anyone else do transparency as well…or even close? I have or have had SOUNDPEATS, Motorola, Noble, PI7, XM4 and don’t recall any of them have the lack of occlusion that the APP2 have. How are the AZ80? Nura? Thoughts? Wondering, like others, how XM5 will play out.
Yep, $400 billion in the bank can buy a lot of R&D... Apple haters are going to flip out when the full extent of these products hit the shelves. I am at the moment, not happy with my iPhone battery degradation once I updated to 15.7.6.. Apple needs to let folks know all that changes, also took 2 extra GB of valuable storage away.. I realize the update itself require free space, but after the update, 2 GB was absorbed in the iOS black hole somewhere.

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #53,783 of 62,488
Got the Denon PerL Pro. Yes, unless I'm missing it, these are just a rebranded Nuratrue Pro. Do I like them, YES. I missed my NTP. Going to give these a shot again. No need to re-post thoughts yet. Tuning process etc., all the same. I do like the branding better. Even though Denon isn't the brand we grew up with, the nostalgia branding is cool. Here are a few photos comparing size to the AZ80 and 3ANC.

Attachments

• IMG_6329.jpeg
    IMG_6329.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6330.jpeg
    IMG_6330.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6331.jpeg
    IMG_6331.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6332.jpeg
    IMG_6332.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6333.jpeg
    IMG_6333.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6334.jpeg
    IMG_6334.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6335.jpeg
    IMG_6335.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #53,784 of 62,488
Got the Denon PerL Pro. Yes, unless I'm missing it, these are just a rebranded Nuratrue Pro. Do I like them, YES. I missed my NTP. Going to give these a shot again. No need to re-post thoughts yet. Tuning process etc., all the same. I do like the branding better. Even though Denon isn't the brand we grew up with, the nostalgia branding is cool. Here are a few photos comparing size to the AZ80 and 3ANC.
I grew up buying a lot of Denon a/v equipment. Edit - missed your point. Agreed it isn’t. But it was a great company in its hey day. Carry on.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #53,785 of 62,488
I grew up buying a lot of Denon a/v equipment.
Same here before I found out they were bought and quality suffered. But by then, I moved on to Sonos.

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #53,786 of 62,488
I grew up buying a lot of Denon a/v equipment. Edit - missed your point. Agreed it isn’t. But it was a great company in its hey day. Carry on.
Same here before I found out they were bought and quality suffered. But by then, I moved on to Sonos.
BTW, Bose QCII are the best buds for flying IMO. I went back and forth between my stable and they just crushed the others, APP2, AZ80, 3ANC. Even liked them better than my APM at times. Mostly because my Xreal glasses prevented a great seal with the cans.

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #53,787 of 62,488
Have both the app 2 and Bose QC 2. Bose transparency is more natural than the app 2.

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #53,788 of 62,488
Yep, $400 billion in the bank can buy a lot of R&D... Apple haters are going to flip out when the full extent of these products hit the shelves. I am at the moment, not happy with my iPhone battery degradation once I updated to 15.7.6.. Apple needs to let folks know all that changes, also took 2 extra GB of valuable storage away.. I realize the update itself require free space, but after the update, 2 GB was absorbed in the iOS black hole somewhere.

Apple make some nice hardware I just don't respect them as a company because some of their business decisions are extremely unethical.

Jun 26, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #53,789 of 62,488
The way HFM implemented ANC on the Svanar is really interesting. By separating the ANC function from hifimode, I wonder if they’ve solved the problem of ANC detracting from sound quality. So if you want ANC, it’s available but if you want the best sq, go to Hifimode where ANC isn’t even available and the separate special DAC is implemented. Seems to me this is different than just having the ability to turn ANC off. My pure speculation is this implementation allows HFM to bypass the ANC circuitry entirely in Hifimode whereas a toggle to just turn off ANC on a standard tws may not be able to keep the signal as clean. Maybe someone who understands this stuff more than me could comment.

Well, my speculation would be that HFM have done this out of necessity rather than following a deliberate decision. ANC software at it's core is very likely provided by the chip manufacturer, whereas TWS makers can only configure the user interface. Bear in mind how similar all these apps from different TWS brands look. Hence my guess is that the software is highly integrated with the respective chip and simply doesn't support HFM's proprietary hardware with a separate DAC.

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #53,790 of 62,488
Well, my speculation would be that HFM have done this out of necessity rather than following a deliberate decision. ANC software at it's core is very likely provided by the chip manufacturer, whereas TWS makers can only configure the user interface. Bear in mind how similar all these apps from different TWS brands look. Hence my guess is that the software is highly integrated with the respective chip and simply doesn't support HFM's proprietary hardware with a separate DAC.

That's basically a good thing as almost all of my TWS sound quality is impacted rather badly by their ANC...
But I would probably bet that with more or less 4h battery playing time with Hifi mode, it should lead to a ridiculous available playing time with ANC on, too (less than 3 hours ?).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back