Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #53,521 of 62,242
I have access to the codecs you have and don't have access to. Yeah Aptx Lossless>LDAC
Probably, though it's still a compressed Codec, bit it's the nearest to the 1400Kbps of an old CD quality with their 1200Kbps bitrate....
=> actually none of the hardware, I own, can handle lossless APTX, like FIIO, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Shanling, A&K and they probably won't handle this Codec for a long time.. but they all, at least, handle perfectly LDAC (not Apple of Course which is definitely limited to the 250Kbps of the AAC Codec) ... so, in my case, no LDAC receiver mode means a no-go.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #53,522 of 62,242
I don't want to be splitting hairs but there is a difference between first TWS with a DAC which is misleading and first TWS with a R2r dac which is quite unique. At least that's how my eyes see it :)
They are like completely different headphones in hifi mode.

As for the LDAC issue, they (Bloom) compared them to the ZE and Noble because they are considered the best sounding TWS right not LDAC or not. There really isn’t a comparable TWS with LDAC right now. The Nura does hi res i suppose. As for you point about how they compare with an iem plus Bluetooth dongle using LDAC, I suspect that is still apples to oranges some respects, including price. These still offer some of the goodies like anc and transparency. I don’t think my ears can spot the difference between AAC and LDAC but it’s cool that you can. My guess is the Svanar are really exceptional in LDAC mode.

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #53,523 of 62,242
They are like completely different headphones in hifi mode.

As for the LDAC issue, they (Bloom) compared them to the ZE and Noble because they are considered the best sounding TWS right not LDAC or not. There really isn’t a comparable TWS with LDAC right now. The Nura does hi res i suppose. As for you point about how they compare with an iem plus Bluetooth dongle using LDAC, I suspect that is still apples to oranges some respects, including price. These still offer some of the goodies like anc and transparency. I don’t think my ears can spot the difference between AAC and LDAC but it’s cool that you can. My guess is the Svanar are really exceptional in LDAC mode.

It's an instant easy A/B comparison with an android app like "Bluetooth Codec Changer" => usually, I almost :
-> never catch any difference between cables, mostly none between daps too,
-> and it's very easy for me between any of my headphones, IEM and TWS (none sound similar) ..

and it is as easy between AAC / APTX / LDAC... assuming you do a real A/B comparison.. I can enjoy listening some music out of my iphone in AAC mode, I must just avoid to make some direct A/B comparison (switching between the Android Z Fold4 & Apple 12Max to an IE600+BTR7).

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #53,524 of 62,242
It's an instant easy A/B comparison with an android app like "Bluetooth Codec Changer" => usually, I almost :
-> never catch any difference between cables, mostly none between daps too,
-> and it's very easy for me between any of my headphones, IEM and TWS (none sound similar) ..

and it is as easy between AAC / APTX / LDAC... assuming you do a real A/B comparison.. I can enjoy listening some music out of my iphone in AAC mode, I must just avoid to make some direct A/B comparison (switching between the Android Z Fold4 & Apple 12Max to an IE600+BTR7).
Yeah but we know AAC isn’t optimized on Android so for iPhone users it would be interesting to see if you felt the same way with an AB test. Sounds like you would but I wonder how meaningful the improvements are.

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #53,525 of 62,242
Yeah but we know AAC isn’t optimized on Android so for iPhone users it would be interesting to see if you felt the same way with an AB test. Sounds like you would but I wonder how meaningful the improvements are.
I said I also do A/B testing between my Galaxy Z Fold4 in LDAC mode and my Iphone 12 Pro Max in AAC mode switchning via Bluetooth to a FIIO BTR7 + Sennheiser IE600 ... it's nearly instant as I just have to play and pause the same track on both device.

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #53,526 of 62,242
I said I also do A/B testing between my Galaxy Z Fold4 in LDAC mode and my Iphone 12 Pro Max in AAC mode switchning via Bluetooth to a FIIO BTR7 + Sennheiser IE600 ... it's nearly instant as I just have to play and pause the same track on both device.
And match source and volume which can be tricky. And so, what is your opinion of AAC over IOS versus AAC over Android?

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #53,529 of 62,242
Probably, though it's still a compressed Codec, bit it's the nearest to the 1400Kbps of an old CD quality with their 1200Kbps bitrate....
=> actually none of the hardware, I own, can handle lossless APTX, like FIIO, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Shanling, A&K and they probably won't handle this Codec for a long time.. but they all, at least, handle perfectly LDAC (not Apple of Course which is definitely limited to the 250Kbps of the AAC Codec) ... so, in my case, no LDAC receiver mode means a no-go.
It is an advantage that LDAC is more accessible but once you get to Aptx Lossless, you will notice a sound quality improvement, lower latency, and a better stable connection. I expect the Hifiman Svanar Wireless to maybe sound better than the Nuratrue Pro but sound definition in detail should still go to the Nura

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #53,530 of 62,242
It is an advantage that LDAC is more accessible but once you get to Aptx Lossless, you will notice a sound quality improvement, lower latency, and a better stable connection. I expect the Hifiman Svanar Wireless to maybe sound better than the Nuratrue Pro but sound definition in detail should still go to the Nura
Your conclusion is based solely on the codec or something else? I’m skeptical that the difference between LDAC and Aptx would in and of itself result in better definition and detail that anyone could hear. If there’s another reason like the iem itself, then that would make sense.

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #53,531 of 62,242
Your conclusion is based solely on the codec or something else? I’m skeptical that the difference between LDAC and Aptx would in and of itself result in better definition and detail that anyone could hear. If there’s another reason like the iem itself, then that would make sense.
Listening to music on Tidal, I hear some smaller details that would otherwise sound lessen or not hear as well on LDAC

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #53,532 of 62,242
Listening to music on Tidal, I hear some smaller details that would otherwise sound lessen or not hear as well on LDAC
Impressive. I am not sure that would mean that the detail and resolution of the Nura would be better than the Svanar. There is more involved than just the codec. Not trying to start an argument but I think the consensus is that codec is part of the ingredients that make up a great TWS, but it is not the only ingredient. When you are talking LDAC versus Aptx Lossless you are really down to splitting hairs. In any event, I wish my ears could pick up the differences you note.

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #53,533 of 62,242
I received the Svanar yesterday. I am pretty impressed with them for a few reasons:

1. SQ- these are the best tws I’ve heard to date. In particular the soundstage is really really wide. Almost like having full sized cans. I might prefer them to the Bathys. The are tuned really well. Some low end boost and warmth. No eq app available but the default sounds amazing.
2. Ergonomics/Fit. They are heavy and made of metal but for some reason fit really well. Like rock sold and I usually have fit problems with IEMs. Also the touch pads work really well.
3. ANC is surprising effective. Not Bose or anything but useful.

I am running them on my iPhone but am really looking forward to getting them going with LDAC. There is a “hi fi” mode where everything gets loud and tight. It’s like “serious” mode. The entire dynamic and presentation changes.

Are they worth $499? I think if you are chasing that last 5 or 10 percent, then yes. These tick all the boxes and have best in class sound, best in class build quality and really good fit. I think these are going to be the champs for a while.
May I ask how much volume these are able to put out? Can they get loud?
Also, are you able to compare the bass to other TWS such as NTP and AZ80?

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #53,534 of 62,242
May I ask how much volume these are able to put out? Can they get loud?
Also, are you able to compare the bass to other TWS such as NTP and AZ80?
I’ll preface this with I don’t listen loud. That said, they get really really loud in hifimode. I cannot imagine anyone complaining about volume. When you switch modes, the volume drops quite a bit. Still Loud enough for me in ANC mode but the slider goes up to 50-60 percent versus like 25 percent.

As for bass, nothing beats the NTP for sub bass. Those things are nuts. I think they hit harder and deeper than the AZ80 however by a decent margin. Given that the ANC is usable and the fit is really good, they pretty much make the AZ expendable in my collection. The only reason I may keep them is for the multipoint.

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #53,535 of 62,242
Impressive. I am not sure that would mean that the detail and resolution of the Nura would be better than the Svanar. There is more involved than just the codec. Not trying to start an argument but I think the consensus is that codec is part of the ingredients that make up a great TWS, but it is not the only ingredient. When you are talking LDAC versus Aptx Lossless you are really down to splitting hairs. In any event, I wish my ears could pick up the differences you note.
Higher codecs bring out more clarity detail in hifi music. Not saying that that alone defines the rest of the sound but I like to hear as much possible detail. I do use my Audeze Euclid wired from time to time and tws are not to that level yet. But with Aptx Lossless offers the best experience for detail retrieval. The rest like sound stage, instrument separation, treble etc comes second to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back