Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 7, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #53,296 of 62,750
So what do we think?...
1686088083816.png
1686088064926.png
Normally underwhelmed by Sony and this is the same for me. Not a very snazzy look, but fit and form would likely be better.

If Sony came out with a looker I'd finally become a customer but these are a bit to plain-Jane.

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #53,297 of 62,750
I have to admit part of my attraction the Technics is they look good in my opinion.

I like the XM4 look even though it's big. This new model though... it looks really plasticky with that gloss bottom half which is not a good look for something that is supposed to be premium.

The MTW3 look OK, but is not as premium looking as the older models. But at least Sennheiser lowered its MSRP by $50 to justify the cheaper design. I suspect Sony will not...

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #53,298 of 62,750
Hearing HelmutCheese praise the MTW3. These are on sale on Amazon for $189. Is this a contender in 2023 SQ wise?
Yes. Progress i made mainly in functionality, ANC and so on. SQ wise there is only a little to none progress in TWS.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #53,299 of 62,750
Yes. Progress i made mainly in functionality, ANC and so on. SQ wise there is only a little to none progress in TWS.

On my side, I consider there is still a room for improvement as there are still too few TWS with a proper LDAC codec and maybe with hybrid drivers.. A tiny XBA-N3 with a BTR7, UP4(22) or Go blu receivers is still more intense than the buds2 pro/AZ80 even in LDAC mode.
There is a real gap with my BT receivers and my LDAC TWS when I switch between AAC limited to 20 to 25% of the bandwith of an old CD sound quality and LDAC at 990Kbs which reaches 70 to 80%...
So I would think, there some real progress for sound quality, but there are still some room for improvement.... we will see if Sony 1000XM5 can go a little further, though it's more important for me to be less bulky with same battery playing time than the actual 1000XM4.

NB : I never use ANC unless I am in trains and planes.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #53,300 of 62,750
I have to admit part of my attraction the Technics is they look good in my opinion.

I like the XM4 look even though it's big. This new model though... it looks really plasticky with that gloss bottom half which is not a good look for something that is supposed to be premium.

The MTW3 look OK, but is not as premium looking as the older models. But at least Sennheiser lowered its MSRP by $50 to justify the cheaper design. I suspect Sony will not...

I wonder if that design change in the looks has to do with the new company that acquired Sennheiser a year or two ago. I liked the MTW2 look better.

I wouldn't say it was really "audio quality" improvements as much as improvements to their EQ functionality. MTW3 now has a 5 band EQ and the MTW3 EQ pretty well in my opinion, especially compared to something like the Samsung offerings. They also added a mode that helps you EQ by adjusting strings, bass and drums to your personal preference, which seems pretty cool to me.

In the end, I think what you are describing is more preferred sound signature than audio quality. I have almost every Samsung TWS since the original Galaxy Buds stuffed away in a box somewhere and have never really liked their tuning for music (I also find the Harman curve to be a bit bright for my personal taste). I have a Galaxy S22+ and Tab S7 FE and actually preferred the MTW3 using regular aptX classic for music over my Galaxy Buds2 Pro even before the firmware update (although I continue to use them for their functionality within the Samsung ecosystem and basically use them for watching Netflix, Youtube TV, etc.). I do find the MTW3 bass to be too much for me but EQ stored on the earbuds themselves quickly and effectively solves that for me. Just my personal preference, which sounds like it may be very different from yours.

All the AZ80 talk has me checking my B&H order status multiple times a day even though I know it is probably not coming anytime soon...
Those are some good EQ additions, I remember the 3 band EQ on my MTW2 and wishing they add more. The Hi-res mode was really good though. Also I still think MTW2 was the only TWS that almost matched my wired MEST IEMs for SQ.

I am not a fan of Samsung's prior bud releases, did not like their past buds at all, but maybe with the acquisition of Harman Kardon, AKG + Samsung's in house sound, I think the tuning on Buds2Pro is very good for my tastes. I also think the Buds2pro emphasize treble a lot so I use the "smooth" preset which makes them sound very very good to me especially since they lack custom band EQ in app.

Jun 7, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #53,302 of 62,750
So do we have any TWS and DAPs with AptX lossless yet?

When we do, I might really jump in the Bluetooth bandwagon.

What will miss for a while is DAP and Smartphones with such Codec.. I doubt that the 2 biggest firms Samsung & Apple will join this before a long time for their smartphones. Then most DAPs are based on obsolete hardware (they usually use what is left in stock when smart-phones change their hardware to next gen) so I wonder if Aptx Lossless will be really available soon to end users ?

Jun 7, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #53,304 of 62,750
Soundpeats Engine 4 are 20% off on Amazon UK (probably US also) and an additional 10% via email voucher so £65.99 becomes £46.20.
Great price for those imo. a really good all arounder. Can't remember if I mentioned this here or not, but I feel like they are a great recommendation for someone who just wants a good sounding TWE that doesn't cost alot. I get asked a fair amount from friends and family for a good cheap recommendation, and sometimes I want to figure out based on questions what is important to them, but I've found in some cases, there are some who just want a good sounding pair at a good price. Everyone has different sound preferences of course, but out of the box the Engine 4 I feel are tuned to be pleasing to a large audience. Soundpeats hit a home run with the Engine 4 imo.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #53,306 of 62,750
Still on the fence on the Svanar. Kinda wish I had kept the ZE8000. Premature sale. The one time I used them outside, they seemed to let in a lot of external noise which kind of killed the SQ. Anyone else experience the same?

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #53,307 of 62,750
Still on the fence on the Svanar. Kinda wish I had kept the ZE8000. Premature sale. The one time I used them outside, they seemed to let in a lot of external noise which kind of killed the SQ. Anyone else experience the same?
I'm still getting it. If i don't like em, selling them on eBay right after I see them potentially sold out. Will sell them at the same or maybe more

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #53,308 of 62,750
Normally underwhelmed by Sony and this is the same for me. Not a very snazzy look, but fit and form would likely be better.

If Sony came out with a looker I'd finally become a customer but these are a bit to plain-Jane.
Sony had one interesting looker that was only in Japan. I guess the XB with the 12mm driver wasn't bad looking in blue but these are as good as any lately as far as Sony goes. I think a bit better than the XM4, C700, and linkbuds S. If Sony came out with a real looker it would be their first. :)

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #53,309 of 62,750
Got the AZ80 yesterday from Technics finally.
Listened only about 2 hours so far.
Fit: super comfortable
App: works
Sound Quality: very good. I find it to be coherent, full, and large sounding (soundstage). Surprisingly that I like it best on “direct” or flat EQ mode since I like bass and soundstage, since I listen to modern trailer music. With any amount of bass boost, even with the Dynamic” mode, makes the bass lose too much quality and become too boomy for me. I like sub bass emphasis and not too much mid bass. I’m also surprised it doesn’t sound too thin for me.
Volume: good. This is always a concern of mine with TWS. I listen quite loudly. Using my iPhone and listening to Qobuz, I had the volume in the 80-some% and the iPhone decibel tracking went into the high 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back