Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 17, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #52,561 of 62,454
Hey bruvs so I have the nekocake but I think I can do better since I just got rid of my over ear bt headphones, was looking at the galaxy buds pro 2 but they seem to only be aac on non samsung phones so now I’m between linkbuds s and space a40, anyone know if it’s worth going with the sony? Or are the galaxy buds still better even with just aac?

Might stretch to the xm4 if it’s that much better than the linkbuds too…
Link buds good for a lot of things but have a kind of boring sound signature. Space a40 would be best value from the list. XM4 might be better if you want a big sony sound and are happy to play with EQ.

I haven't tried any, this is just impressions from too long reading this thread :wink:

May 17, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #52,562 of 62,454
Link buds good for a lot of things but have a kind of boring sound signature. Space a40 would be best value from the list. XM4 might be better if you want a big sony sound and are happy to play with EQ.

I haven't tried any, this is just impressions from too long reading this thread :wink:
Hmm yeah been looking at the thread too but still got a lot to read hahah, apparently there’s gonna be an anker aliexpress sale tomorrow so I’m trying to figure how good are the space a40, half decided on the linkbuds anyway unless I find the xm4 for a close enough price since those go on sale more often where I am… but yeah also if the space are cheap enough tomorrow, I might pull the trigger on them.

May 17, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #52,563 of 62,454
Hmm yeah been looking at the thread too but still got a lot to read hahah, apparently there’s gonna be an anker aliexpress sale tomorrow so I’m trying to figure how good are the space a40, half decided on the linkbuds anyway unless I find the xm4 for a close enough price since those go on sale more often where I am… but yeah also if the space are cheap enough tomorrow, I might pull the trigger on them.
So many choices, just 2years ago we had only one

May 17, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #52,564 of 62,454
Not a single post today. Wow. Guess we really have hit the innovation wall.

It's a weird time, isn't it? I find myself thoroughly unimpressed by the earbuds landscape at the moment. No breakthroughs in terms of size - it's time they're getting smaller! - or ANC (who's ready for massive Shure-like passive isolation combined with high class digital noise cancelling?), and in regards to features there's pretty much nothing apart from transmitting cases with a 3.5mm line-in (see Bowers&Wilkins PI7 and LG Tone Free DT90Q). LG are the ones trying to go for AirPods-like head tracking tech, but frankly it feels unnatural and not even remotely comparable to Apple's own approach. And then, when there's something like those B&W PI7 buds with great sound and an interesting concept, the manufacturer ruins it by FORCING YOU TO USE THE APP TO ACTIVATE TRANSPARENCY MODE. What are they smoking?

It's been almost one and a half years since I bought my Technics AH-EAZ60. I'm still happy with them, although the case battery is pretty much unusable (and a new case costs a fortune). I would be in the market for something new, but at this point in time I can't bring myself to order anything since it's all just so... mediocre.

May 17, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #52,565 of 62,454
Got the Huawei Freebuds Pro2 yesterday, ordered them the same morning because... bored I guess. I actually think they sound pretty good, and I love the feel of the buds and the case overall. Got the Silver Blue color and they certainly look nice. The case almost has a pearlescent shimmer to it, it's cool.

The sound is better than good, but a bit short of amazing, not as good as the top dogs, but in a segment maybe one or two notches below. Like better than I thought it would be since they were tuned by Devialet AFAIK, and their Gemini buds had one of the worst tunings I've ever heard, but everybody sings their praises so I could concede that it might be fit issues making them sound like doodoo to me.
But the FBP2's sound good, albeit very "dynamic". The bass is a bit too punchy but manages to stay clear of the worst bloating, and at the same time I feel like the tuning is slightly W-shaped so vocals don't get lost in the mix because of it, which is nice.
The battery life is a big disappointment though, managed to get like 3½ hours of listening before the left earbud died on me, the right one wouldn't have been far behind.

Getting the Liberty 4's tonight as well!

I don't need more earbuds, send help

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #52,566 of 62,454
I have some Tozo Golden X1 incoming. You guys know I only pay top tier price for TWS so this should be interesting, a boredom purchase. I will let you all know when I receive them.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #52,567 of 62,454
Well, for anyone that has this tws, I eq them this way, makes them listenable. Multipoint is good and the mic quality is good as well, so it's going into my rotation for calls at the computer.
That looks similar to what I had them left at, but I was dissatisfied with the trebles, tried playing around with them in Wavelet then gave up. I do think they have their merits, but I didn't like that the EQ didn't seem to save to the buds, only the device running the app.

I just reviewed the Earfun Air Pro 3 if anyone else is interested - here

May 17, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #52,568 of 62,454
wow, I am embarrassed to say I have been completely brain-washed by the Apple marketing machine. Even more surprising given that I've rooted and used over 30 Android phones (starting with the g1). I blame my work. Even though the last 5 startups all provided macbooks, I never had to get an iphone until my current startup (which only develops for the iPhone.) So, along with a shiny new macbook on my first day, I got a company iPhone... and thought to myself, "well, I probably should just get the basic airpods for calls." now I sit at my desk with this in front of me every morning.

apple tws.jpg

And of course, one of the numerous drug dealers (of tws info), @erockg, mentions that Apple should be releasing something new this morning. I really should just not browse this thread. lol

Kudos to Apple for free express delivery!

Mail_-_Sam_Lee_-_Outlook.png

May 17, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #52,569 of 62,454
Hey bruvs so I have the nekocake but I think I can do better since I just got rid of my over ear bt headphones, was looking at the galaxy buds pro 2 but they seem to only be aac on non samsung phones so now I’m between linkbuds s and space a40, anyone know if it’s worth going with the sony? Or are the galaxy buds still better even with just aac?

Might stretch to the xm4 if it’s that much better than the linkbuds too…
I have owned all 3. Bang for the buck the A40 is a really good IEM with good battery life. My issue was the signature was not quite my jam. Its a bit bass light.

The Linkbuds S have ANC almost as good as the XM4 but it's battery life is barely adequate. Sound wise it's good but agree with the comment that's it's a bit boring/safe.

The XM4 really surprised me as I thought I would not like it. But it responds well to it's EQ and it is one of my favorite TWS. It's got good battery life and is quite nice. The only issue is it mic is now behind some of the newer TWS including the Linkbuds S. But it is still serviceable.

The only other TWS I have started to like as much as the XM4 is the Sennheiser Momentum 3 but only with its new firmware and app updates. Prior to those I was actually going to sell them. But those updates elevated them to the top and they now get as much time as the XM4. Signature wise they have more upper mid and treble presence with a similar bass presence. They have better microphone and ambient mode than the XM4 but not as good ANC. Fit wise they are more comfortable in ear.

The good news is XN4 and MTW3 both seem to go on sale regularly now so you should be able to get a good deal on either one.

May 17, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #52,570 of 62,454
Alternative A2DP Driver has now added aptX and aptX HD support (hopefully aptX LL will follow) but like its LDAC option aptX HD is missing a 16bit option IMO which so far both are lacking so you are stuck in 24bit even if you set to 44.1k

aptX 44.1K

aptX.png

aptX HD 48K (Default)

aptX 48k.png

aptX HD 44.1K

aptX HD 44.1k.png

https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/a2dp/?v=0101000c&osv=10.0.25357.1

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #52,571 of 62,454
Does this driver support AptX adaptive or only Aptx HD and "plain"?

May 17, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #52,574 of 62,454
I have owned all 3. Bang for the buck the A40 is a really good IEM with good battery life. My issue was the signature was not quite my jam. Its a bit bass light.

The Linkbuds S have ANC almost as good as the XM4 but it's battery life is barely adequate. Sound wise it's good but agree with the comment that's it's a bit boring/safe.

The XM4 really surprised me as I thought I would not like it. But it responds well to it's EQ and it is one of my favorite TWS. It's got good battery life and is quite nice. The only issue is it mic is now behind some of the newer TWS including the Linkbuds S. But it is still serviceable.

The only other TWS I have started to like as much as the XM4 is the Sennheiser Momentum 3 but only with its new firmware and app updates. Prior to those I was actually going to sell them. But those updates elevated them to the top and they now get as much time as the XM4. Signature wise they have more upper mid and treble presence with a similar bass presence. They have better microphone and ambient mode than the XM4 but not as good ANC. Fit wise they are more comfortable in ear.

The good news is XN4 and MTW3 both seem to go on sale regularly now so you should be able to get a good deal on either one.
Ahh yes I was actually looking through your comments did you ever do that linkbuds s vs space a40 comparison?

Can’t you raise the A40 bass with the app? but yeah I’m probably still going with the linkbuds between those two unless I get a crazy coupon for the a40 on that anker sale tonight..

And between the Sony, I think the Xm4 are just like $25 more expensive than the linkbuds where I am though, would you say I should get them instead?

May 17, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #52,575 of 62,454
Sorry I never really did get around to that comparison. You can increase the bass but I find that sometime this just makes things more boomy.

For only $25 more for the XM4 I would just buy them and skip the Linkbuds S. Between the better battery life and superior driver they are the better TWS in my opinion. I just could not get the Linkbuds S to ever sound the way I wanted them to where as the XM4 just seem more capable of being EQ'd to my tastes.

Others might disagree but the Space A40 and the Space Q45 are a big switch in signature from their older models. The bass is scaled back and not as hard hitting. If they had found a more middle ground between the old and the new I would have liked both products more. But I ended flipping both of them because they just weren't working for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back