Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 20, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #52,261 of 62,728
I've got to add the Final ZE3000 to this discussion - to my ears, they are one of the best tuned IEMs in general and being TWS is an icing on the cake.

Very enjoyable tuning indeed, focused more on warmth and meat than details etc. These IEMs are for long listening without any fatigue, nicely made and really cool all in all considering their price.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 21, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #52,262 of 62,728
I've got to add the Final ZE3000 to this discussion - to my ears, they are one of the best tuned IEMs in general and being TWS is an icing on the cake.
- Not a lot of bottom end but clean, fast bass, lovely crisp mids and just the right level of sizzle in the treble (can be a bit much for sensitive ears but fixable through tip rolling)
- transients and resolution are exceptional and more than a match for many wired and higher end IEMs
Admittedly, the functionality is not great - touch controls are a bit wonky and ultra-sensitive and bluetooth can sometimes pick up distortion.
I have these and the Hifiman TWS600 and on pure sound, the Final outpaces the Hifiman easily.

I have to say so far ALL the final offerings are solid to outstanding options for people on the market for TWS with different budgets. Even my Final X Evangelion collab TWS was a totally solid and convincingly sounding set - for a rather lengthy period of time they remained the most detailed and well-balanced set I had come across (now overtaken by the HA-FW1000t, the Aviot Piyaphone 6 and final's own ZE8000). The ZE3000 was one set I had seriously considered acquiring, but refrained from so doing as I had my Eva model and they are tuned similarly enough to render the purchase not too worthwhile. The ZE8000 is, on the other hand, a class of its own.

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #52,263 of 62,728
I agree! Exceptional TWS, comfort is really good too imo since they don't sit very deep in the ears. Given the proprietary eartips you don't need to waste time trying different type of tips either haha...

Sadly there hasn't really been any software update since Februari, Final Audio could do so much more with the software.

I hope they'll release a succesor in the next 1-2 years with LE-Audio, QI, better touch controls/software and above all a better battery life.

edit: NVM, I thought you were refering to the latest Final Audio offering ^^
How did you update your earbuds, if you were talking about the ZE8000s?
I tried updating to the latest firmware when i got the earbuds but it just got stuck on the downloading update part, and there were zero instructions whether you should keep them in your ears, if you could listen to music still during the update, or if you're supposed to put them in the charging case, etc.

So i'm still on the annoying firmware that keeps changing the EQ back to flat/stock all the time.
Also yeah they could do more with their software, I want a real EQ that let's me change all the bands if I want to, but at the same time I am supremely satisfied with the sound I get from them with the EQ I'm currently using!

Apr 21, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #52,264 of 62,728
I have to say so far ALL the final offerings are solid to outstanding options for people on the market for TWS with different budgets. Even my Final X Evangelion collab TWS was a totally solid and convincingly sounding set - for a rather lengthy period of time they remained the most detailed and well-balanced set I had come across (now overtaken by the HA-FW1000t, the Aviot Piyaphone 6 and final's own ZE8000). The ZE3000 was one set I had seriously considered acquiring, but refrained from so doing as I had my Eva model and they are tuned similarly enough to render the purchase not too worthwhile. The ZE8000 is, on the other hand, a class of its own.
Btw, how do you feel about the te-z1pnk compare to the others like ze8000, fokus pro and the ha 1000t?

Apr 21, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #52,265 of 62,728
How did you update your earbuds, if you were talking about the ZE8000s?
I tried updating to the latest firmware when i got the earbuds but it just got stuck on the downloading update part, and there were zero instructions whether you should keep them in your ears, if you could listen to music still during the update, or if you're supposed to put them in the charging case, etc.

So i'm still on the annoying firmware that keeps changing the EQ back to flat/stock all the time.
Also yeah they could do more with their software, I want a real EQ that let's me change all the bands if I want to, but at the same time I am supremely satisfied with the sound I get from them with the EQ I'm currently using!
Just tried it a few times and let the earbuds lay out of the case. Was very slow Thought.

Final just updated the app the other day, maybe it's easier now.

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #52,267 of 62,728
not a tws, but still fills that need for those of us who are always looking for a good headset to make calls on... The Jabra evolve2 75.

Just received it yesterday and have been using it all day on calls and listening to music. The mic is EXCELLENT and the multipoint connects to both devices really fast. Downside is that there is some wonkiness with the mac audio path getting confused between music and calling, meaning that the music will switch over to a really compressed non-stereo sounding delivery sometimes when interacting with parts of the operating system that is connected to non-music driver interactions (ie. third party volume and eq software). But it's intermittent and can be is predictable when working with third party software (ie soundsource on the mac).

The surprise was how capable the drivers on this headphones are. There's noticeable mid bass bloat and mid freq recession but those issues can be addressed with the jabra eq pretty effectively. The result is really good sound. I wasn't expecting the results. Pretty good separation and decent sound stage. Excellent treble extension (though can be a bit too much sizzle with cymbals.)

All in all, a really good wireless headphone. The price to value ratio sucks but I've been spending more and more time on calls for work, so the excellent mic is worth it to me for my use case.

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #52,269 of 62,728
I have a Jabra headset. Can’t remember the model but can check later.
It has a dongle and you can pair with a cellphone too. Call quality is excellent and sq is surprisingly decent too!
after getting my evolve2 75, I did a search if anyone posted on the model... nothing. But this post mentions the evolve2 65.

I don't know if the 65's frequency response is similar to the 75, but after adjusting things, the sound is very good.

IMG_A9D283CAD285-1.jpeg

The evolve2 75 after eq sounds better than the bose 700, my previous king for wireless headphones with excellent call quality.

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #52,270 of 62,728
yeah, no offense to whoever tuned the evolve2 75 but they need to be replaced. Jabra is obviously trying to market to people who might use these headphones for something other than calls -- the hidden mic feature would suggest this. So why not spend the time and actually get the tuning right for this model? The default sound is trash. The sad thing is Jabra could have pulled off defining a new sub-market, high fidelity on-ear wireless headphones. I'm kind of laughing at that last sentence... sounds so niche that even headfi-ers would think it's non-sensical.

Jabra did an excellent job at improving comfort. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a really comfortable headset (I wear eyeglasses, so nothing is super comfortable) but it's easily the most comfortable on-ear headphones I've tried (between the 3 I've ever tried over 20 years. haha)

There's potentially something here but it'll never be discovered. One last thing, with the trend of wireless headphones being near impossible to wear on your neck when not in use, the evolve2 75 is designed in a manner where I can leave it on my neck all day with no discomfort. It's sad (and odd) that so few headphones can pull this off. I'm going to wear this around my neck all weekend, at the mall, at the farmers market, walking with my dog, going around town with my wife because I'm a headfi-er and I don't care what other people think -- I live for good clean audio. =)

So if you see an older asian man walking around with headphones around his neck, that's me. haha

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #52,272 of 62,728
yeah, no offense to whoever tuned the evolve2 75 but they need to be replaced. Jabra is obviously trying to market to people who might use these headphones for something other than calls -- the hidden mic feature would suggest this. So why not spend the time and actually get the tuning right for this model? The default sound is trash. The sad thing is Jabra could have pulled off defining a new sub-market, high fidelity on-ear wireless headphones. I'm kind of laughing at that last sentence... sounds so niche that even headfi-ers would think it's non-sensical.

Jabra did an excellent job at improving comfort. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a really comfortable headset (I wear eyeglasses, so nothing is super comfortable) but it's easily the most comfortable on-ear headphones I've tried (between the 3 I've ever tried over 20 years. haha)

There's potentially something here but it'll never be discovered. One last thing, with the trend of wireless headphones being near impossible to wear on your neck when not in use, the evolve2 75 is designed in a manner where I can leave it on my neck all day with no discomfort. It's sad (and odd) that so few headphones can pull this off. I'm going to wear this around my neck all weekend, at the mall, at the farmers market, walking with my dog, going around town with my wife because I'm a headfi-er and I don't care what other people think -- I live for good clean audio. =)

So if you see an older asian man walking around with headphones around his neck, that's me. haha
Jabra’s hardware in general is very capable and the app is great but I complexly agree that in most cases the default sound out of the box is bad and once you play with the eq they shine and as they very responsive.

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #52,273 of 62,728
not a tws, but still fills that need for those of us who are always looking for a good headset to make calls on... The Jabra evolve2 75.

Just received it yesterday and have been using it all day on calls and listening to music. The mic is EXCELLENT and the multipoint connects to both devices really fast. Downside is that there is some wonkiness with the mac audio path getting confused between music and calling, meaning that the music will switch over to a really compressed non-stereo sounding delivery sometimes when interacting with parts of the operating system that is connected to non-music driver interactions (ie. third party volume and eq software). But it's intermittent and can be is predictable when working with third party software (ie soundsource on the mac).

The surprise was how capable the drivers on this headphones are. There's noticeable mid bass bloat and mid freq recession but those issues can be addressed with the jabra eq pretty effectively. The result is really good sound. I wasn't expecting the results. Pretty good separation and decent sound stage. Excellent treble extension (though can be a bit too much sizzle with cymbals.)

All in all, a really good wireless headphone. The price to value ratio sucks but I've been spending more and more time on calls for work, so the excellent mic is worth it to me for my use case.
Hope you still have the box because you need to use the Jabra Link adapter that came with the headset to help remedy this issue..

https://www.jabra.com/supportpages/...ing-the-included-jabra-link-bluetooth-adapter

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #52,274 of 62,728
Well finally bought the KEF MU3 and holy crap do they sound good and are so comfortable. For $98 they are an insanely good deal.

I have owned plenty of KEF earphones and headphones and have to admit the brand always suffered from fit issues even when they sounded really good. This is the best fitting and sounds as good as the best KEF IEM I have heard.

Amazing sound straight out of the box, no muss no fuss. I get how the lack of an app makes these limiting but there is so much to be said for a company that knows how to tune their product and these show KEF's tuning prowess.

If they take a stab at a new model I hope they go touch controls, add an app, and adopt a hires codec, plus throw in a wear sensor, just to keep up with the Joneses.

They nailed the shape of the unit and it's built extremely well built. That combined with their obvious audio prowess plus catching up in the areas I mentioned would make them a contender. But will see if they have the will to try and stay in the game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back