Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #52,066 of 62,458
Reading and watching a few reviews, I think I will pass on the Evo as I suspect the bass won't be to my liking.

I am watching several videos by someone called Ron on Tech for the 3ANC and he suggests they are a lot better than the Between Pro and he likes them better than the new Adio Technica TWS, MTW3, and a couple others, so they might be worth considering when the inevitably go on sale. The Opera 5 also looks interesting as a value proposition.

Switching between the MTW3 and XM4 and I like them both but strictly from an audio perspective I prefer the XM4 a bit more. I like its mids as they convey more emotion and detail. While the XM4 lacks a bit of the treble sparkle to the MTW3 it's not enough to balance the mids difference for me. The MTW has more bass presence but lacks the level of detail and texture of the XM4 so is an equal trade off.

Having said that both sound darn good to my ears, not WOW but still really good.

I suspect if had a phone that could properly use all of the sound functionality of the MTW they might take the lead. But without added APTx Adaptive functionality they take a small step behind the XM4 for detail.
Have you tried personalising the sound (I assume so). Before I used it, I thought the MTW3 was too boomy, but after swapping the tips to bi-flange and personalising, I'm really happy with the sound and the detail they produce. Still a U-shaped sound.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #52,068 of 62,458
Phillips Fidelio T1 for $100
B&W Si7 reconditioned (very good) Amazon -$175-$200ish
Game OVER for Sound Quality as of 4/9/2023
Ill save you all alot of wasted time
Ived A/B'd now over 45 TWS earbuds (Still need to get my hands on the B&O EX as I heard they might be very very good)
I also happen to agree with many TWS this guy has on his list...altho I wouldnt put the Sennheiser Momentum 3 as the best of the best...they were very good but lacked a bit of tonality in the mids

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones..._journey_to_the_best_sounding_tws_earbuds_in/

They do indeed. These guys can tune a headphone. The originals sounded really good.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones..._journey_to_the_best_sounding_tws_earbuds_in/

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #52,069 of 62,458
More listening to the ZE8000 and i just can't get over the [insert something that sounds ridiculously hyperbolic) detail and soundstage. Easily trumping a lot of wired IEMs.
Hmm, I think I might buy these

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #52,071 of 62,458
Ived A/B'd now over 45 TWS earbuds (Still need to get my hands on the B&O EX as I heard they might be very very good)
I also happen to agree with many TWS this guy has on his list...altho I wouldnt put the Sennheiser Momentum 3 as the best of the best...they were very good but lacked a bit of tonality in the mids

Thanks. The Reddit links don’t seem to work for me.

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #52,072 of 62,458

Not sure I understood correctly, do you mean for you the B&W Pi7 (which he lists as C-tier) is the best you've tested so far?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #52,073 of 62,458
He rates the Beyerdynamic Free Byrd as one of the best and audiophile material, IMO they sound horrible no matter what I did, and you can see that in some reviews and Amazon feedback as they are bass heavy and not even good bass at that.

They also have a poor fit for many inc me, so passive seal not good nor is ANC but not sure if that is down to the lack of passive seal or just poor overall.

They have good battery life that is one thing and controls though weird to get used to could be great if they let you customise them considering they have 1 extra feature most others do not have (tap then tap and hold) even with this they lack functions like power on/off and pair from buds.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #52,075 of 62,458
Have you tried personalising the sound (I assume so). Before I used it, I thought the MTW3 was too boomy, but after swapping the tips to bi-flange and personalising, I'm really happy with the sound and the detail they produce. Still a U-shaped sound.
Thanks I had done the personal tuning but kept getting different results so had gone back to something close to the stock tuning.

I prefer hearing test customizations versus preference tests. Preference tests are to subjective so tend to change. In my testing I hit 4 different personalized EQ's. One actually was the stock signature plus the first 3 screenshots.

In actual use I preferred the one with the big treble spike and very slight bass and midrange drop of -0.3.

Based on that EQ I created a 2nd EQ that is -1.4 for bass +1.0 for midrange and a +4.4 DB for the treble which is what I have been using today and enjoying that quite a bit more. It's a bit of mix between the 2 bass reduced profiles.

Bottom line is I prefer more treble and like to tone down the bass a smidge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230409_115939_Smart Control.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_115939_Smart Control.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230409_115951_Smart Control.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_115951_Smart Control.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230409_120003_Smart Control.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_120003_Smart Control.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230409_153121_Smart Control.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_153121_Smart Control.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #52,076 of 62,458
I blame Sony...

If they just released the XM5 I would have bought it. But nooooooo they twiddled their thumbs!

So I started thinking I should buy the Fiio FH9 for $800CAD which was scaring me...

Then I was thinking I should get the Fiio FW5 but I know gravitate to TWS with all the features so was hesitant.

Then I was standing in London Drugs and they had a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 3 Graphite on sale for $260CAD and I decided to give them a try.

So far pretty happy even though my phone is limited to just APTx because Samsung are jerks. They feel loose because of their size but in reality they are not. I am enjoying not having my ears feel stuffed like when wearing the XM4.

So far they seem very well designed and after the update I am liking how they work. They are a bit more intuitive and full featured for controls than Sony.

Sonically they have brighter treble, slightly softer mids, and bass that is a bit heavier and not quite as textured as the XM4. I appreciate the added treble and the added bass heft is enjoyable.

Having Sony, Samsung, and now Sennheiser top TWS I have to be honest and say they all sound good but none sound spectacular. But there is no reason to believe the XM5 will be spectacular either. So in that regard, the search continues.

The Fiio FH9 coupled with the UTWS5 might have given me spectacular but with lots of compromise and from what I read the FW5 would have similar compromises. So still waiting for a full featured TWS that also wows me.
I thought the MTW were great and loved the sound, did you see the hi-res switch in the settings page? These with Qobuz sounded really good! I did end up returning mine Friday as I thought I could get a good fit but it was hit and miss.
Also, I got a loud pop sound in the left bud and just figured I should return while still in the window to get all of my money back.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #52,077 of 62,458
Because I am using a Samsung my hires is limited to just APTx which sucks. But they are sounding better with the personalized EQ setting.

They are growing on me the more I use them.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #52,078 of 62,458
Best foam tips for airpods pro?
Charjen pro. Silicone wrapped memory foam, so sweat resistant, and you can wipe them down. Comfortable

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #52,079 of 62,458
So I purchased and returned the Buds 2 Pro only to repurchase again last week. I totally agree with your take on SSC, it works well. I have a real issue with getting a seal on short nozzles like the Buds 2 Pro. I switched to Spinfit tips and still have issue getting a constant seal, according to the Samsung app Earbud fit test. What I have found is I was way too fixated on what the app told me about seal as opposed to just listening to the music. I am trying to not look at the fit test...ugh!

Is the sound quality better than the B&O EX, IMO no, but it is really, really good.
They seal fine on my ears, but the ergonomics are poor. Although they do actually stay in my ears most of the time, the fit "feels" loose. I wish the eartips were larger (the largest ones are smaller than some medium tips I've had on old IEMs!).

They are my main daily driver because depending on other situations other TWS have crackle or dropouts with my S23 Ultra. My main gripe is noise cancelling which is not as good as Linkbuds S for my commute. They seem to remove a bit more low frequencies than the Linkbuds S but it's so uneven that the high frequencies stick out.

Apr 10, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #52,080 of 62,458
I've told myself I won't buy tws without some form of "Roomfeel/Dirac Virtuo/HDSS" technology, really makes a massive difference.

Dual driver with magneto-static and planar 6mm being used.

Mixed reviews on magneto-static driver implementation but it sounds really interesting with a planar hybrid design.

I originally had a quick look at this link and ignored them but after reading further think I will get these.

Available June 2023

Users who are viewing this thread

Back