Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #51,751 of 62,472
Qualcomm's aptX and aptX HD encoders are finally free to use on Android
https://www.androidpolice.com/qualcomm-aptx-hd-open-source/

I hope Samsung doesn't act like morons and at least add aptX HD on their mobile devices since now there is no license to pay for.. although we still miss aptX adaptive, but at least if you have a pair of headphones with aptX adaptive/HD and no LDAC you don't lose anything by having to resort to normal aptX.
Samsung included until now aptX codec because they could include it for "free" when using the Qualcomm chipset. But aptX HD and adaptive were not shipped since they would have to pay the license (because of course they offer you their own scalable codec)

You are a day later and a Doller short! 😉

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #51,752 of 62,472
Actually, I think there are still some real room for improvements for any TWS on the market (almost 90% are missing a CD quality lossless codec).
I bought these last 10 years many types of TWS and kept them almost all (B&O, Apple, Sony, Cambridge Audio, Samsung, Victor, ..). Actually I think the HA-FW1000T is the most convincing TWS I own concerning sound quality (Buds2 pro and 1000XM4 are not really far).
But the HA-FW1000T are still a real step behind my 2 favourites IEM HA-FW1800/XBA-N3 plugged with a balanced cable to my BTR7/UP4(22)/GoBlu (BT receivers with LDAC mode).

HA-FW1800 vs HA-W1000T Stack.jpg

The HA-FW1000T with some little PEQ adjustments is a very good sound experience with an efficient Noise Cancellation, but user interface is just hopeless !!! it's a real pain just to change the volume level, and it's very slow to react for any changes (pass-through, next/back tracks,...) ... but, I prefer it over the Samsung Buds2 Pro even with the seamless codec activated.

I have some hope with the future 1000XM5 from Sony, to allow a real lossless CD Quality transmission like any of my LDAC BT receivers with some improvement concerning sound quality (maybe less dull ?).

On my side, I feel more comfortable/confident to buy and use "industrial" TWS with important research centres, strong quality controls & measurements like from Sony, JVC, Apple, Samsung, ... than almost any individual integrator/company which are making fully hand made/3D printed which, maybe, would have difficulties to produce some consistent "sound qualities" at a reasonable price. I would think a firm like FIIO is an "in between" company, and can manage to produce at reasonable price some really consistent audio devices with good service.

NB: Actually, a Sony NW-WM1A (In BT LDAC receiver mode) + XBA-N3 or IE900 + Z Fold4 is my sound quality reference as portable & streaming audio system.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #51,753 of 62,472
Shameless Plug (yes, I have no shame). My Mystique are available in the classifieds. Special price for TWS forum members of $240 shipped CONUS.

@erockg, you make me want a shiny new phone. Hows the overall screen size compare to the max? Looks narrower perhaps?

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #51,754 of 62,472
FWIW: Out of the box, I was not very happy with either sound or comfort of the EX. Was about to give in, when I tried the Spinfit CP360. They really are comfortable and provides excellent sound. However, this is on cost of the noise cancelling and maybe the bleeding will get worse (not a problem I have, though). Just went on a 2 h flight using the Comply foams instead of the Spinfits and then the EX worked fine for me wrt. noise cancelling.
I second the spinfits! Change my experience with them.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #51,755 of 62,472
FWIW: Out of the box, I was not very happy with either sound or comfort of the EX. Was about to give in, when I tried the Spinfit CP360. They really are comfortable and provides excellent sound. However, this is on cost of the noise cancelling and maybe the bleeding will get worse (not a problem I have, though). Just went on a 2 h flight using the Comply foams instead of the Spinfits and then the EX worked fine for me wrt. noise cancelling.
Thanks! Definitely worth a lot and convincing me in giving them a try. Have you also heard the AZLA in comparison?

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #51,757 of 62,472
Shameless Plug (yes, I have no shame). My Mystique are available in the classifieds. Special price for TWS forum members of $240 shipped CONUS.

@erockg, you make me want a shiny new phone. Hows the overall screen size compare to the max? Looks narrower perhaps?
Oddly enough, I'm thinking about flipping mind as well. LOVE the sound, but they haven't been used in over a month.

Here are a few pics. I will say this, the Oppo Enco X2 were having a terrible time outdoors yesterday by work. Was walking to get a coffee and in intersections they were fading in and out. I was really annoyed. I'll do some rebooting, repairing, go back to AAC, etc. and see how it goes tomorrow. The phone is great, although I do wish I had cellular on it. Had a few bumps yesterday taking calls in the car in some data dead spots. That said, iMessages is working great via Airmessage :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #51,758 of 62,472
Mar 21, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #51,759 of 62,472
Thanks! Definitely worth a lot and convincing me in giving them a try. Have you also heard the AZLA in comparison?
I have only tried the AZLA Xelastic and to my ears they were very uncomfortable with the EX. (They are reasonably ok with Beoplay E8 3G). Although the AZLA Crystal could be another option for the EX, I have chosen to stay with the Spinfits.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #51,762 of 62,472
Is the Oppo Enco x2 essential the same as the Huawei freebud pro 2 ?
Someone here has posted about this before, and apparently The tuning is different. @erockg has had both, wondering what he thinks 🤔.
It's been so long, I just don't remember. Devialet vs Dynaudio. I remember loving Devialet's tuning, but felt the ANC could've been better at the time. I've been using the Oppo non-stop for a few weeks. Really enjoying them outside of bluetooth hiccups yesterday. If that keeps happening, I won't be using them outdoors. Booo! The form factors are similar, but molded differently. I mean, all these things are just derivative of the Airpods Pro buds which are still a staple in my collection.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #51,763 of 62,472
It's been so long, I just don't remember. Devialet vs Dynaudio. I remember loving Devialet's tuning, but felt the ANC could've been better at the time. I've been using the Oppo non-stop for a few weeks. Really enjoying them outside of bluetooth hiccups yesterday. If that keeps happening, I won't be using them outdoors. Booo! The form factors are similar, but molded differently. I mean, all these things are just derivative of the Airpods Pro buds which are still a staple in my collection.
I wonder what could cause such Bluetooth problems. I'm guessing it's something in your area. I've had similar experience with only one unit, the AKG n400, and it would always be around the same "hot spots". Ironically the H F Pro 2s are my around-town goto, mostly because of how well they handle wind. RF-wise they are flawless.

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #51,764 of 62,472
I wonder what could cause such Bluetooth problems. I'm guessing it's something in your area. I've had similar experience with only one unit, the AKG n400, and it would always be around the same "hot spots". Ironically the H F Pro 2s are my around-town goto, mostly because of how well they handle wind. RF-wise they are flawless.
I haven't had an issue like this since the first gen Earin m-1 buds. It's a fade in and out issue. I'll test tomorrow and report back. Maybe I need to revisit those HFP2s. Ugh. Must. Look. Away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back