Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 18, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #51,721 of 62,452
I keep waiting for Apple to come out with something superior to AAC and other wireless audio. I heard once that Airplay is lossless up to an extremely high bit rate
Nothing wrong with AAC as a codec. It’s technically superior to most of the others. In fact there isn’t even anything wrong with SBC as a codec either. The fundamental issue is the limited bandwidth support at the transport layer, combined with power consumption constraints (hence why we’ve never seen AirPlay 2 support implemented)

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #51,723 of 62,452
I keep waiting for Apple to come out with something superior to AAC and other wireless audio. I heard once that Airplay is lossless up to an extremely high bit rate
Despite spec chasing (myself included), AAC over an iphone is considered audibly transparent to the human ear. I'm sure others will chime in and say otherwise but unless there's a blind test, it doesn't mean much to me. And even if there is a difference, it's likely so insignificant that only the most discerning ear would notice or more importantly, care. If you are that focused on getting every last bit of detail and resolution etc., I assume you'll be going wired anyway. I think eventually Apple will do something but probably more for marketing purposes rather than meaningful improvements to sound quality.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #51,724 of 62,452
IDK, my son and I were at BB yesterday, and he said his left earpiece (Airpod pro) was cutting out, so he picked up the 2's for $199.. He texted today and said they are excellent... So, I'm not sure what the motivation would be, they already have a huge winner... I would like to some real innovation to their phone, I don't think the new 14's are any better than my 6S to be honest. Sure nicer scree and faster, but the 6 does everything I need...
The only thing about the 14 that seems vastly superior to the 12 is the camera. My wife has one and the photos are absolutely astonishing. I’m waiting for the 15 to upgrade

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #51,725 of 62,452
The only thing about the 14 that seems vastly superior to the 12 is the camera. My wife has one and the photos are absolutely astonishing. I’m waiting for the 15 to upgrade
My iPhone 14 Pro Max can never beat my Sony A7IV with a G Master lens :) I will say, I've been using my the Oppo Find N2 Flip for the last week and it's not too shabby. Even have iMessages coming to it with AirMessage. Also still obsessed with the Oppo Enco X2s with all my gear. Finally found a tip I like and they really do sound great. Not disappointed.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #51,726 of 62,452
For those who have the GB2Pro (or anyone), how in the hell do you turn Dolby Atmos on? I cant find it anywhere in the Wear app, its updated to the newest fw. Not sure it matters but I have a Note 20 Ultra for the source.

Mar 18, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #51,727 of 62,452
When it comes to the newer Aptx Adaptive/Lossless, not a single phone with a Samsung SoC/modem supports it including anything that Google has released. Despite Adaptive being quite well established by now.

Don't think any device without a qualcomm SoC supports it now that I think about it.

If this is Google/Samsung refusing to purchase the license or if its Qualcomm (licence or technical) your guess is as good as mine.

Aptx lossless is basically an extension of Adaptive, so far nothing is implying that any non Adaptive device will support it. The S23 series are a great example.

My guess it's that for Google it's a technical problem since Samsung made SoC don't support "Snapdragon Sound" for obvious reasons.

Wereas Samsung are straight up refusing to purchase the license since the hardware support for the S23 series is there.
Google Pixel series only uses the Samsung modem for mobile networks. Bluetooth and other things are handled with a Broadcom BCM chipset.

Can't find any teardowns with specifics for the S23 Ultra but since S21 Ultra Samsung has also been using BCM chipset whether or not they used Snapdragon or Exynos SoC in the past (before that generation they used Murata BT/WiFi modules). Perhaps it means better optimization for their ecosystem of Galaxy Buds but having used the S23 Ultra it is still rather mediocre for other devices using other codecs including AAC and LDAC. Samsung Seamless/Scalable seems far more stable but I would say AAC performance sounds worse than the Murata chipset on the Note 9 as I am noticing some distortion and delays. Back in the days of the Note 9 in 2018 a Samsung developer claimed AptX HD was unstable but they considered adding AptX Adaptive after some testing, but ultimately this never happened.

With all that said it does seem that BCM chipsets have the potential to support AptX HD at least, because they Pixels and even the older Huawei P20 Pro has BCM chipsets that support that codec, but Samsung has opted not to get its drivers.

Right now I'm finding myself in a tossup between the Sony Linkbuds S and Buds 2 Pro for my commute. Generally I prefer the Harman-esque sound of the Buds 2 Pro and it is also far more stable for connectivity, but its ANC is inferior and the fit is a tad loose for my ears. It isn't terrible ANC and removes low frequencies quite well (maybe slightly better than the Linkbuds S even), but it does so to the point that high frequencies sometimes stick out and sound rough (especially talking and sudden train screeches).

The fit is much better with the Linkbuds S but the main reason I use it is that the ANC is stronger overall in reducing/smoothing high frequencies. However, I am sometimes put off by its warm sound (I've grown to enjoy it more but sometimes wish there was a bit more sparkle). Its connectivity is also quite poor in congested areas, even with SBC. With my Galaxy S23 Ultra it seems to have less distortion with AAC than other devices I tested but is still there subtly. Changing to connection priority in the Sony app alters the bitpool when using SBC and they sound similarly trash to Galaxy Buds on SBC

Correction: S23 Ultra does use a Qualcomm modem. S21 Ultra and S22 series use Broadcom.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #51,728 of 62,452
My iPhone 14 Pro Max can never beat my Sony A7IV with a G Master lens :) I will say, I've been using my the Oppo Find N2 Flip for the last week and it's not too shabby. Even have iMessages coming to it with AirMessage. Also still obsessed with the Oppo Enco X2s with all my gear. Finally found a tip I like and they really do sound great. Not disappointed.
Ha that camera looks amazing. I actually don’t even have a camera which sucks for any long distance photos. I’d have to take a class or something to learn how to use it too.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #51,729 of 62,452
For those who have the GB2Pro (or anyone), how in the hell do you turn Dolby Atmos on? I cant find it anywhere in the Wear app, its updated to the newest fw. Not sure it matters but I have a Note 20 Ultra for the source.

It's in the drop down notification, just slide down and click this icon
Screenshot_20230319_093738_Chrome.jpg

The position will differ though, you might need to search a bit

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #51,730 of 62,452
Well I got bored and decided to try some Sennheiser...

But bought the sport model as it was on sale and wasn't willing to have a big talk with my wife about insane TWS spending... LOL.

This model is pretty crazy. The ambient mode and tips versus the focus mode and tips sounds CRAZY different.

I had to create 2 presets, one for each tip and mode.

But this is not a bad thing IMO. The modes and tips are vastly different. The open mode and tips actually are pretty darn good for awareness. I can see these being a safer option when jogging or even fast walking on the streets and bike paths barring maybe some wind issues (time will tell). They might also be a good option at home for hearing my wife and son.

The focus tips and mode needed to be tweaked down as the bass was to strong but once adjusted sound very nice.

Have to say these do sound darn good. From what I have read they use the same driver as the MTW3 but may not have all the same tweaks. Since I am Samsung user I can't use anything more than Aptx anyway so thought this would do.

My justification is or exercising options... LOL.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #51,731 of 62,452
The MTW3 are one of the best SQ TWS but for the small loose fit (the Sports Buds are lager and so are the wing tips) and launch bugs (I got 2-3 FW Updates so gave them a fair chance) I would have kept them and only now I may have heard better with the FiiO FW5's.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #51,733 of 62,452
This sport model works well for fit, it's a butuncomfortable.lying down, but pretty comfy otherwise.

The fin is not to stiff which is good but definitely makes them more secure.

My only complaint is phones calls with side tone has a mechanical buzz that's annoying.

I did try the older CX400 model, and these seem to sound a lot better with more bass from memory. I remember flipping that model pretty quickly because it just wasn't my cup of tea. This model on the other hand is a very good signature.

Will maybe just turn off the side tone and see if can accept the phone call quality that way.

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #51,735 of 62,452
iPhone replacement? How’s the battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back