Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 10, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #51,601 of 62,423
Was looking into getting the Earfun Air Pro 3 as I've been pretty happy with the Earfun Air Pro 2 (and Earfun Free Pro 2) as my daily driver, sound is decent , ANC too and they're very comfortable to wear. Their passive isolation isn't great though so for public transportation I switch to the Earfun Air Pro 2...but they're less comfortable. Have you had either of these ?
I have the original EarFun Free Pro....not the other 2 you mentioned. My experience with the Earfun Air Pro 3 was short lived....While I felt it had some of the deepest base I have ever heard in an earbud, I also felt that the bass was a bit sloppy as well and overpowered the rest of the dynamic range. These buds werent very articulate and instrument seperation wasnt anything to write home about. I felt the sound on the Edifier 240TN to be superior and cleaner for less money. But I also have been spoiled by the B&W PI S2 so everything just pales in comparison that I have tried since.......Im actually also quite happy with my Liberty Air 2 Pro buds as well for a cheaper guilty pleasure...but only after some app eq'ing as the treble on these is overly sparkly and bright....But they have good seperation, sound stage and detail for cheap pair of buds. I got them when Amazon had them on sale for $34....An absolute steal IMO

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #51,602 of 62,423
I've been listening to the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro more recently to compare to my WF1000-XM3, I feel that the buds 2 pro are a bit too intense? The bass is incredible of course, it slams and has texture but, everything else feels edgy and harsh. When I put on my Sonys I feel as if the vocals take a step back with more atmosphere, but of course lacking that heavy bass impact. My perfect TWS would be a mix of the sonys and the Galaxy.
I tried a ear tip trick. I cut part of a foam eartip I had lying around into donut shaped rings and then place them over the stem and under the silicone part of the ear tip. It adds some fullness to the sound improves the ANC a bit as the tips are otherwise quite thin and now seal better.

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #51,603 of 62,423
You might need to play around with tips to get the best seal. I switched to the Azla Max and get a great seal and no negative impact to SQ.

You can also load a custom hearing test that you can use an app for. Also make sure you don't have a "stock" EQ setting on.

I'm a bass head and these aren't going to shake your skull, but you should get good quality and quantity on the lower end.
Thanks. I do usually tip roll a bit on my TWS, for better or worse. Just trying to save some cash in these. Time to hit up Amazon.

Mar 10, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #51,604 of 62,423
I’ve been underwhelmed by my purchase of the APP2. I feel they are lacking some of the lower mids/upper midbass, and the sub bass. Granted, I am a self-proclaimed basshead, but I’m interested in how to “burn in” the APP2? I’ve never put much stock in the process, but I’m willing to give anything a go to improve sound. Thanks.

For any type of headphone or speaker I’m an advocate for burn-in. Many people don’t believe in it, many people do. I’ve heard significant differences, sometimes night and day, with certain speakers and headphones.

In this, I’m talking about mechanical burn-in, in which drivers “settle” their frequency reproduction. I usually do 72 to 96 hours of white/pink noises and full frequency sweeps at around 50% volume. Or I go through 4 or 5 iPod batteries with music in shuffle at 60% volume. And I go there to listen every 24h. Some people talk of brain burn-in, which obviously also occurs. Your brain tends to get accustomed to a certain tonality, a certain timbre. But the mechanical part is very true. At least for me and many others.

Since you’ve already had them a while, mechanical burn-in has occurred while you listened to music. You may EQ them more to your taste but you won’t change the fundamentals mentioned above.

You might need to play around with tips to get the best seal. I switched to the Azla Max and get a great seal and no negative impact to SQ.

You can also load a custom hearing test that you can use an app for. Also make sure you don't have a "stock" EQ setting on.

I'm a bass head and these aren't going to shake your skull, but you should get good quality and quantity on the lower end.

I’m using the Azla Crystal (in Large) and I’m loving it. I also agree that the amount of bass is correct and enough for me.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #51,606 of 62,423
For any type of headphone or speaker I’m an advocate for burn-in. Many people don’t believe in it, many people do. I’ve heard significant differences, sometimes night and day, with certain speakers and headphones.

In this, I’m talking about mechanical burn-in, in which drivers “settle” their frequency reproduction. I usually do 72 to 96 hours of white/pink noises and full frequency sweeps at around 50% volume. Or I go through 4 or 5 iPod batteries with music in shuffle at 60% volume. And I go there to listen every 24h. Some people talk of brain burn-in, which obviously also occurs. Your brain tends to get accustomed to a certain tonality, a certain timbre. But the mechanical part is very true. At least for me and many others.

Since you’ve already had them a while, mechanical burn-in has occurred while you listened to music. You may EQ them more to your taste but you won’t change the fundamentals mentioned above.

I’m using the Azla Crystal (in Large) and I’m loving it. I also agree that the amount of bass is correct and enough for me.
I appreciate the description and help. I’m going to try tips (again!) and see what comes of that. I’ve always liked what foam does for me, so Comply got the nod.

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #51,607 of 62,423
Just managed to snag a pair of Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 on eBay for £30. I’m surprised how similar they are to the APP2. Sound signature is very close, although the dynamic range is a bit larger, especially in the high end, probably due to the planar driver tuning. NC is very good quality wise, but the APP2 seems to have more power behind it. It obviously plays via AAC on my iPhone 12 mini, but my older Xiaomi Mi 9 SE has LDAC, which bumps up the SQ a fraction (although it’s hard to tell as my Xiaomi has other issues re Bluetooth). The biggest surprise are the control gestures. Pinch to pause, twice to advance, hold to turn off NC and swipe up on the edge to increase volume. Pretty much identical to the APP2. Considering these were released first, has Apple possibly taken some inspiration from Huawei?

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #51,608 of 62,423
I'm absolutely debating clicking home the Fokus Mystiques now.

Anyone who've heard them who can compare the sound to Nuratrue Pro's (which I have) and the Campfire Audio Orbits (that I might get if I don't get the Mystiques)?
Because I know the Fokus Mystiques will be an expensive affair to me... our currency is currently performing very poorly in comparison to the USD (and most others lol) and ordering from the US will probably net me a 25% of the cost extra on the customs/import fees.

I can also safely say that sometimes I don't always agree with the hype trains here so that's why i'm extra careful about buying them for that price... the Nuratrue Pro's for me are hit and miss. They don't sound 100% like I want them, they're a bit too "dry" for my taste, and they have really bad cutouts for me A LOT.
The orbits are trash. The mystique isn't better than the xm4. So much hype with all this stuff. Get the xm4, run ldac with your phone and use hiby mseb, and download the ultra hifi settings into mseb and you're all set. Use sedna azla tips as well. Stick tips are garbage. I've yet to hear a tws that beats the xm4. I've tried all the major ones, like 2 dozen or so different tws. Mystique, gemeni, and z3000 can come close, but xm4 still comes out on top as a full package, though I haven't heard the new ze8000 yet.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #51,609 of 62,423
The orbits are trash. The mystique isn't better than the xm4. So much hype wirh all this crap. Get the xm4, run ldac wirh your phone and use hiby mseb, and download the ultra hifi settings into mseb and you're all set. Use sedna azla tips as well. Stick tips are garbage. I've yet to hear a tws that beats the xm4. I've tried all the major one, like 2 dozen different tws. Mystique, gemeni, and z3000 can come close, but xm4 still comes out on top as a full package, though I haven't heard the new ze8000 yet.
Oh boy.... Let it rain, and head for cover!! 😂

Mar 11, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #51,610 of 62,423
Oh boy.... Let it rain, and head for cover!! 😂
I know. It's like talking politics. Lol. I get it. People want to believe their thing is great because they paid for it, but again having purchased probably... he'll, I don't know, just about everything and compared extensively (thanks amazon return policy), I haven't heard anything better or more functional. B and O and B and W were meh, evo is decent, mystique is about equal in sound, but everything else is worse. Az60 and akg are pretty good. Mw07 just sucks. Talk about hype. Cambridge audio one plus is the best value on the market for $60. Ze8000 is on the way.

Haters can bring it.

Mar 11, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #51,611 of 62,423
I've been listening to the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro more recently to compare to my WF1000-XM3, I feel that the buds 2 pro are a bit too intense? The bass is incredible of course, it slams and has texture but, everything else feels edgy and harsh. When I put on my Sonys I feel as if the vocals take a step back with more atmosphere, but of course lacking that heavy bass impact. My perfect TWS would be a mix of the sonys and the Galaxy.
You could try the XM4 with azla crystal. Not many tws have that kind of neutral tuning with a sub bass emphasis. I like it too. The only cons are XM4 lower treble on high volume. Also their batteries can get damaged over time. I would wait the summer for the XM5, or maybe the new Technics.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #51,612 of 62,423
I know. It's like talking politics. Lol. I get it. People want to believe their thing is great because they paid for it, but again having purchased probably... he'll, I don't know, just about everything and compared extensively (thanks amazon return policy), I haven't heard anything better or more functional. B and O and B and W were meh, evo is decent, mystique is about equal in sound, but everything else is worse. Az60 and akg are pretty good. Mw07 just sucks. Talk about hype. Cambridge audio one plus is the best value on the market for $60. Ze8000 is on the way.

Haters can bring it.
Well even az60 or mtw3 are better than xm4.

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #51,613 of 62,423
The orbits are trash. The mystique isn't better than the xm4. So much hype wirh all this crap. Get the xm4, run ldac wirh your phone and use hiby mseb, and download the ultra hifi settings into mseb and you're all set. Use sedna azla tips as well. Stick tips are garbage. I've yet to hear a tws that beats the xm4. I've tried all the major one, like 2 dozen different tws. Mystique, gemeni, and z3000 can come close, but xm4 still comes out on top as a full package, though I haven't heard the new ze8000 yet.
My xm4 are too far below my mystique sound quality wise. One reason I'm selling the xm4. It's not like the xm4 are bad, but they are definitely not as good she noticeably.

If you want great ANC and other features not related to SQ, then the xm4 are competitive. But not for SQ. Or fit. The mystique are super comfortable, better than any other iem I've had or tried

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #51,614 of 62,423
Mar 11, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #51,615 of 62,423
Maybe clean up the typos before you trash everyone’s favorite tws? Just a suggestion. The ze8000 is solid. I fear I gave up on them too fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back