Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 13, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #51,076 of 62,385
Back on topic..

I caved and purchased some Nuratrue Pro at a ridiculous price brand new sealed.

I had been looking at something which could kind of replicate the sound of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro as far as I possibly could. With that in mind, I wanted something with a wide soundstage, great bass with slam and impact and slightly sparkly highs (I EQ the sparkle down slightly to avoid the sibilance that most speak of) and decent mids to boot.

I'd tried a few different TWS sets and nothing really seemed to get me there, pretty close with the likes of the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro but something just wasn't quite there with those and the timbre was off somehow.

So instead of borrowing some from Uncle Jeff to test, I bit the bullet with the price I couldn't refuse, especially being a local sale knowing I could sell them on for the price I paid or better if I wasn't into them.

So far, they're pretty much fitting the bill. Out of the box after the sound personalisation, the highs aren't *quite* up there with the beyers but with the (limited) 'Pro EQ' now included in the Nura app, it's pretty close. Bass is fantastic, great impact and slam which goes deep but doesn't bleed, very wide soundstage (probably to do with the Spatial Audio and pretty comfortable.

My main gripe is just the sheer size of them, they must take promo photos with people with gigantic ears as they take up two thirds of my tiny ears! Reminds of Will.I.Am buttons!

Interested to know if Nura Pro users tip roll or use the included tips? I was quite surprised at the foams (don't quite feel right to my ears). Also what notch you use for immersive mode?

All in all, I'm pretty impressed so far with my limited testing.

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #51,079 of 62,385
I cannot believe they did not add App support for the Dongle and AFAIK it is not aptX Lossless unlike the buds.

The dongle is on their site, not sure if it will state if in stock or not once you get to checkout.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #51,080 of 62,385
I seem to have lost my XM4s.

I have been more interested in watches lately and don't know what the contenders are for IEMs in that zone. I wondered if anyone could give me some recommendations. I was thinking ultimately I want a pair of grab and go IEMs that won't be literally such a big loss if they fall out of a pocket. I was looking at Pixel Buds Pro to fill that utility spot. Then later (after I am employed again, I'm a student for a few more months) I could get some dedicated listening buds. Would appreciate any suggestions. I have a Pixel 6 Pro phone. I have Tidal. I am not a bass head, I like distinct mids, a flat EQ, and smashy, clear trebs on my rock and jazz.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #51,081 of 62,385
I seem to have lost my XM4s.

I have been more interested in watches lately and don't know what the contenders are for IEMs in that zone. I wondered if anyone could give me some recommendations. I was thinking ultimately I want a pair of grab and go IEMs that won't be literally such a big loss if they fall out of a pocket. I was looking at Pixel Buds Pro to fill that utility spot. Then later (after I am employed again, I'm a student for a few more months) I could get some dedicated listening buds. Would appreciate any suggestions. I have a Pixel 6 Pro phone. I have Tidal. I am not a bass head, I like distinct mids, a flat EQ, and smashy, clear trebs on my rock and jazz.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I would suggest looking at the GalaxyBuds series, maybe GB2 if you want to keep the cost down. Another good option is the Soundcore A40. Both are a more neutral signature. The A40's go on sale or have a coupon on Amazon quite often. 3rd option is the 1More Evo, in Canada they have a $55 coupon, so hopefully the US is doing something similar.

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #51,082 of 62,385
Back on topic..

I caved and purchased some Nuratrue Pro at a ridiculous price brand new sealed.

I had been looking at something which could kind of replicate the sound of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro as far as I possibly could. With that in mind, I wanted something with a wide soundstage, great bass with slam and impact and slightly sparkly highs (I EQ the sparkle down slightly to avoid the sibilance that most speak of) and decent mids to boot.

I'd tried a few different TWS sets and nothing really seemed to get me there, pretty close with the likes of the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro but something just wasn't quite there with those and the timbre was off somehow.

So instead of borrowing some from Uncle Jeff to test, I bit the bullet with the price I couldn't refuse, especially being a local sale knowing I could sell them on for the price I paid or better if I wasn't into them.

So far, they're pretty much fitting the bill. Out of the box after the sound personalisation, the highs aren't *quite* up there with the beyers but with the (limited) 'Pro EQ' now included in the Nura app, it's pretty close. Bass is fantastic, great impact and slam which goes deep but doesn't bleed, very wide soundstage (probably to do with the Spatial Audio and pretty comfortable.

My main gripe is just the sheer size of them, they must take promo photos with people with gigantic ears as they take up two thirds of my tiny ears! Reminds of Will.I.Am buttons!

Interested to know if Nura Pro users tip roll or use the included tips? I was quite surprised at the foams (don't quite feel right to my ears). Also what notch you use for immersive mode?

All in all, I'm pretty impressed so far with my limited testing.
Nice choice on the Nura, they are pretty sweet. I found the foams quite poor, very chodey and after trying everything else went with Spinfits.

I haven't found the size much of an issue as the don't poke out which is more of a problem for me.

I was on immersion +2 at first but listening to mostly electro they became a bit too much and also gave podcast voices subbass. Now on +1. Which there was 1.5 but otherwise still my fav bud in the mix.

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #51,083 of 62,385
I seem to have lost my XM4s
I think I found them I found them the other day, crushed into the dirt sorry to say.

If you can spend the extra $ then the Fiio FW5 would be sweet for your genre choice. About $250 AUD

Feb 13, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #51,084 of 62,385
I think I found them I found them the other day, crushed into the dirt sorry to say.

If you can spend the extra $ then the Fiio FW5 would be sweet for your genre choice. About $250 AUD
I've had a few different pieces of Fiio gear over the years and have always enjoyed. I think my heart is telling me that if I'm only buying one set of earphones right now I should get the one that sounds really good, that FW5 looks great, and get a utility set later. I've read some reviews on the site and this seems like a great recommendation, thank you. Thanks also to dweaver I think those are good recs to and I might take advantage of Amazon's return policy and just pick up a few sets and see what I like.

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #51,085 of 62,385
I believe they all compress to some extent.. For Apple lossless, they say, whoever they are, that there is zero loss in sound quality.. Only a true double blind test would satisfy me, as to the truth to this.

"The ALAC format option in iTunes is short for Apple Lossless Audio Codec (or simply Apple Lossless), and it does not compress your music to the extent that sound quality is impacted. The audio is still compressed like AAC, but the big difference is that the sound quality remains identical to the source."

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #51,087 of 62,385
@Khangero I have been tempted by the FW5, from what I have read you might not find a better sounding option in that price range. For me the lack of other features has held me off buying them. I like better battery life for one and do like good ambient and ANC. So between the those things and the fact I am using Samsung so am very limited in codec options in regard to all the APTx xx choices I have been hesitant. But ido think those will sound killer.

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #51,088 of 62,385
Those of you with the Campfire Orbit give me your opinion. Is there any point in getting the Orbit if I have the Nuratrue Pro? Both wide soundstages a and both big low ends.

I love dynamic driver mids but I want them to be able to scream at me. Not fussed on features.

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #51,089 of 62,385
Those of you with the Campfire Orbit give me your opinion. Is there any point in getting the Orbit if I have the Nuratrue Pro? Both wide soundstages a and both big low ends.

I love dynamic driver mids but I want them to be able to scream at me. Not fussed on features.
IMO, no. I think you're good with the NTP. I loved the Orbit but after the sensor issues (others aren't having) I gave up.

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #51,090 of 62,385
All,
Don't know if someone pointed this out.
I was checking out the ear tips for my Bose SoundSports Free's, and noticed these might work for my AKG 5005's...
Holy cow, they are perfect and the built in wing tips fit amazing.... These were an absolute steal now, and couldn't get any kind of good fit before this.. I'm listening to The Who's amazing journey and am floored...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back