Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 18, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #49,428 of 62,402
Had the same feedback, shame cause I liked the style and expected good things from Nuarl. Apparently something else coming out in Jan/Feb with HDSS, hoping it's a continuation of the N6 line, even the Mini as it's my most used bud atm.
its priced at $220 USD for the NEXT1. i think they're out of their minds charging this type of money for no stand out functions or sound. i was expecting even larger sound stage with more clarity given it's their "flagship". the Fiio FW5 with its dac and snapdragon sound looks to be a better tech and $70USD cheaper.

Dec 18, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #49,429 of 62,402
A bit about the Fiio FW5. They aren't perfect, heck I don't know if there is a perfect TWS product. But it does so much right for the price point, especially sound quality. I have been testing them for the past month using my phone, my Fiio M15 DAP, My laptop. The sound quality is consistent. It really doesn't matter what you connect them to. They sound superb for media due to how dynamic and spacious they sound. I am talking about, movies, gaming and especially music listening.

I am an IEM reviewer. I have reviewed Fiios top flagship IEMs that cost $599. Referring to the FH9 and the FD7 both are outstanding. I can honestly say at the $135 price Fiio is asking for one of these. It is an absolute bargain for the sound quality. Let me put it this way. I don't think they have a hybrid IEM that cost that much that sounds like these. The closest one they have is the current FH5S which sells for $250 and the FW5 is actually tuned better. It turns out the team responsible for Fiios FH9 flagship hybrids are responsible for the FW5 tuning. It clearly shows too. Fiio this year has been on a new level like I have never seen a company do before. I am lucky to have an insight into their offerings.

Of all the folks that needs to check out a set of their newest it is you guys. I am willing to bet you. Your more expensive TWS stuff is not going to sound better. If your even remotely interested. They happen to be on sale with an added leatherette sleeve and from what I read some extra tips.

They don't sound like your traditional TWS product at all. They sound like a nicely tuned hybrid IEM connected to a powerful source is the best way I can describe them. Fiio is testing the FW5 to see how well it is received. If they sell enough of them, they will probably produce even better stuff in the future. More than that. You guys gotta hear these things. I am so blown away by them I am getting another set to give to a good friend of mine. Cus these are the gift you give to your best friend that has no idea.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #49,430 of 62,402
Hi, I would like to ask if you tested LHDC codec with FW5? I am still kinda confused how to use LHDC on TWS, I only know some Android phones supports it but I dont have. And I dont know if any transmitter supports LHDC so I can use it on my PC.

They don't but a page or so back someone said you can run LHDC in another mode via the FiiO App, I cannot confirm as mine are stuck with the crappy Royal Mail.

I have had 2 sets of buds with LHDC but did not know about that setting and was noy FiiO so would not matter unless others have a similar setting.

EDIT:

Quote: "Otherwise you have Hiby's and Fiio's apps which can transmit HWA which is basically LHDC in software"
I talked about LHDC in software form on both Fiio's and Hiby's apps (aka HWA).
My FW5 are coming soon so I will be testing things out. I'll do a comparison between the LHDC on a friend's OnePlus 9 Pro (native) and this LHDC (HWA) on my Asus Zenfone 6 which doesn't have it natively.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #49,431 of 62,402
Well just like that I decided with a price drop to buy the galaxy buds pro 2 at Costco.
Figure as a Samsung phone user will get best sound from them.
Crinacle calls them best sounding tws.
Most importantly they apparently are Bluetooth 5.3 so will get LE when updated so more future proof than all the 5.2 buds out.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #49,432 of 62,402
I really like my GB2P, if you like there default signature they get everything else right for the most part. Wish they offered a proper customizable EQ and a bit more battery life. But the rest of the controls work extremely well and if you turn on the experimental features you can tap your ear lobe to turn the volume up (right) and down (left). Giving basically a full set of controls from the buds.

I have been having fun playing with JBL, Soundcore, and Sony but think I am going to flip all of those and buy the Fiio FW5. I have a feeling that TWS will give me all the musical aspects I want and the GB2P will give me all the ANC and all rounded features I need for daily use.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #49,433 of 62,402
I talked about LHDC in software form on both Fiio's and Hiby's apps (aka HWA).
My FW5 are coming soon so I will be testing things out. I'll do a comparison between the LHDC on a friend's OnePlus 9 Pro (native) and this LHDC (HWA) on my Asus Zenfone 6 which doesn't have it natively.
Wait are you saying I get LHDC from the Fiio app?

Wow if that so I will test on my UTWS5 and see what happens!

I was starting to line up some TWS to sell to get the FW5 and that will hasten the process!

OK, so I installed the Fiio app and turned on HWA, is that all I need to do? If so I will compare some of my hires flac songs from Neutron player and then the Fiio player and report back my findings. All from the UTWS5/FH5 combo

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #49,434 of 62,402
Another wild hair led me to purchase the JVC HA-FW100T off Woot for $149. Wow. I do wish they had an app, but have to admit, the tuning is stellar and the clarity, soundstage and separation is excellent. I was worried they wouldn't fit me, but with some Azla tips they work great. Only negative so far is you have to crank them for some volume. I know a few of you on here love these thing, and you're right, they're great. Especially for the Woot price!

https://electronics.woot.com/offers...r-11mm-true-wirel?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_elec_3_29

Attachments

• F329DA1E-59B9-42AA-A018-ADA2069F1DB6.jpeg
    F329DA1E-59B9-42AA-A018-ADA2069F1DB6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #49,435 of 62,402
OK, so assuming turning on the HWA setting is the secret to using LHDC with my UTWS5/FH5 I picked through a few of my HiRes Flac files and did some A/B comparisons and the differences are not huge so out and about every day world activity I would suggest most people would have a hard time distinguishing them or care that much as they have distractions and competing sounds etc.

But there is a definite difference and in a quiet session where you want the best audio possible LHDC has more detail and sounds less etched than APTx which my Samsung defaults to. I listened to a couple of songs from Patricia Barber album Smash which is 24bit, 192kHz, 5697kbps and APTx makes her voice more sibilant and etched and lots of decay and subtle detail is lost through out the songs. LHDC on the other hand sounds more natural bringing in the decay of strings and cymbals and her voice sounds more natural.

I had similar results listening to JD Souther Natural History 24bit 48kHz, 1507kbps. His album is not quite as Hires as Patricia Barber but I could hear the same differences between APTx and LHDC which likely shows the limits of BT in regards to how much of the detail that can be transmitted.

I finally played some songs from Hans Zimmer Interstellar 24bit, 44.1kHz, 1209kbps, and the difference in the storm/wind sound in the song Dreaming of the Crash was stark between APTx and LHDC. In APTx it sounded very sharp and etched focusing on the edge of the wind and loosing the subtle detail. Similarly when the big organ kicked in there was a harder drone on the APTx but the detail was less. It's almost like an EQ shift on top of the change in detail. The wind and storm on the LHDC was more subtle and detailed and when the organ kicked in there was a bigger more expensive quality to it with way more detail. It didn't hit as hard as APTx but at the same time affected me emotionally more.

I don't own a ton of hires files so will not get this from everything I own as most of my flacs are my own rips from CD which will be no better than 16bit audio. But you can get better audio from LHDC if you have a lot of hires Flac music.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #49,436 of 62,402
Wait are you saying I get LHDC from the Fiio app?

Wow if that so I will test on my UTWS5 and see what happens!

I was starting to line up some TWS to sell to get the FW5 and that will hasten the process!

OK, so I installed the Fiio app and turned on HWA, is that all I need to do? If so I will compare some of my hires flac songs from Neutron player and then the Fiio player and report back my findings. All from the UTWS5/FH5 combo
Just read about the Fiio and it sounds very good. My only concern is that in an effort to get good sound the anc transparency call quality etc won't be as good.

I am a believer I want my tws to do everything. Great sound with good controls good and Mics etc.

Technics have been great only missing wireless charging and a bit more comfort for pronged wearing.
Sound is about 90%.

Am interested in something with dedicated drivers for highs and lows and good comfort.

The Huawei freebies pro 2 and Oppo which are harder to get both qualify.
The Lp3 do but think they are bulky and don't love shrill treble. Seems the GBP2 for the bill and Crinacle rates them tops for sound.
1more seem like another good option but are lacking in controls on bud.

GBP2 as a Samsung user intrigues me. Can control all features from the buds. Like the talk feature that triggers transparent mode. Also to have the higher res 24 bit sound. And only 1 I know with Bluetooth 5.3 so will get updated to the better codecs when released.

Am I missing any others?

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #49,437 of 62,402
I hear you about wanting one device that can do it all. My budget is limited to the $200 point mostly so I can't comment on higher end stuff from companies like B&O. But I do like everything the GB2P does. I am just curious how far Fiio has moved the bar in terms of sound quality. My UTWS5/FH5 combo definitely sounds better than most TWS so if Fiio has taken that and been able to apply it to an actual TWS form factor it will be worth giving it a whirl. I know they did not have ambient initially on the UTWS5 so am hopeful that will get added and hopefully will be a step up from the UTWS5 implementation regarding not having hiss.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #49,438 of 62,402
Well, I have enjoyed all of these TWS but it's time to clean house. Each has it's merits but fall short on something.

So going to keep the GB2P (general daily driver) and the Soundcore A40 (work driver for Teams meetings due to longer battery life) and am going to buy the Fiio FW5 to see if Fiio has truly moved the sound quality bar at the $200CAD price range.

Attachments

• 20221218_163359.jpg
    20221218_163359.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #49,439 of 62,402
OK, so assuming turning on the HWA setting is the secret to using LHDC with my UTWS5/FH5 I picked through a few of my HiRes Flac files and did some A/B comparisons and the differences are not huge so out and about every day world activity I would suggest most people would have a hard time distinguishing them or care that much as they have distractions and competing sounds etc.

But there is a definite difference and in a quiet session where you want the best audio possible LHDC has more detail and sounds less etched than APTx which my Samsung defaults to. I listened to a couple of songs from Patricia Barber album Smash which is 24bit, 192kHz, 5697kbps and APTx makes her voice more sibilant and etched and lots of decay and subtle detail is lost through out the songs. LHDC on the other hand sounds more natural bringing in the decay of strings and cymbals and her voice sounds more natural.

I had similar results listening to JD Souther Natural History 24bit 48kHz, 1507kbps. His album is not quite as Hires as Patricia Barber but I could hear the same differences between APTx and LHDC which likely shows the limits of BT in regards to how much of the detail that can be transmitted.

I finally played some songs from Hans Zimmer Interstellar 24bit, 44.1kHz, 1209kbps, and the difference in the storm/wind sound in the song Dreaming of the Crash was stark between APTx and LHDC. In APTx it sounded very sharp and etched focusing on the edge of the wind and loosing the subtle detail. Similarly when the big organ kicked in there was a harder drone on the APTx but the detail was less. It's almost like an EQ shift on top of the change in detail. The wind and storm on the LHDC was more subtle and detailed and when the organ kicked in there was a bigger more expensive quality to it with way more detail. It didn't hit as hard as APTx but at the same time affected me emotionally more.

I don't own a ton of hires files so will not get this from everything I own as most of my flacs are my own rips from CD which will be no better than 16bit audio. But you can get better audio from LHDC if you have a lot of hires Flac music.
Something you need to consider: the UTWS5 is capped at max 600kbps LHDC. That's what it'll negotiate with the Tx device. The FW5 on the other hand gets the full 900kbps.

If only Neutron got something similar to a BT encoder with its 64bit engine.. Ah wishful thinking :p

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #49,440 of 62,402
Well, I have enjoyed all of these TWS but it's time to clean house. Each has it's merits but fall short on something.

So going to keep the GB2P (general daily driver) and the Soundcore A40 (work driver for Teams meetings due to longer battery life) and am going to buy the Fiio FW5 to see if Fiio has truly moved the sound quality bar at the $200CAD price range.
Where will you buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back