Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 16, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #49,411 of 62,402
It's hard to believe that highly compensated and presumably smart people green lit this project. Maybe I'm out of touch. I mean people pay $3,000 for LV purses so I guess maybe their is a market. I'll see if my wife would prefer these to that purse ...
To me wireless hasn't advanced to wired levels, not close. It is greatly improved, but I don't mind as much spending big bucks for wired. I don't like how expensive the wired market has become and feel there are diminishing returns, but I think we are a ways off from those prices in wireless, thank God.

Dec 16, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #49,412 of 62,402
Nice! I am only able to get them down to just a tad under 40$ ... I have the original ones and they are great for that price area . hearing they now even have better ANC, at that price makes them a winner ... but alas, I really have given up on hoarding more and more cheapos .. I keep rotating my higher end models and there are some that should get more play time, but just don;t ... so, no more new stuff for me for a while ... maybe the APP 2 in 3 weeks ..
I have not high hopes for the mini pro ldac, but the price. My main are mtw3, the tronsmart apollo bold were good but -20C seemes to have crashed them-

the old jabra 65t seems to survive everything but sounds very dull,

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #49,413 of 62,402
In case anyone is interested, this was just posted here on our "Deals" thread, thanks to @evantilu.
Has anyone tried the MU3? Worth trying?

KEF is (as they usually do) having holiday sales. Mostly speakers but also a few headphones like MU3 ($229->$129)
https://us.kef.com/pages/specials

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #49,414 of 62,402
Any one here heard the Nuarl Next1 yet? I've asked our local stockist for an opinion and they've said wide sound stage is gone with out HDSS, sounds sibilance and thin, took me by surprise as Nuarl has put out great sounding earbuds. they recommended me my N10pro and was spot on with it's sound but they don't recommend the Next1.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #49,416 of 62,402
Fiio FW5 - first impressions.

Bought at AliExpress for $134.99 (Fiio Official Store)

Good:
- Sounds amazing with the included balanced medium tips (will do a tip roll later anyway). Really good in every aspect. By far the best TWS I've heard (but keep in my mind I stopped buying TWS after Senn' MTW3). I'm not sure I will use my newly bought Ikko OH10 and ITB03 much now :) :thinking:
- They play loud!!
- They fit me very good. Very light and comfortable. Almost like I can't feel wearing them. (was a bit sceptical to this due to their build/form)
- No driver flex or other artifacts with the fit.
- BT range is VERY good. Extremely stable (Tested with AAC on iPhone 14 Pro Max, will test AptX Adaptive from Creative BT-W4 later)
- Codec support is great. SBC, AAC, AptX Adaptive and LHDC.
- They look cool :)
- There is a Fiio App with OTA firmware updates, battery info, etc
- All controls done with physical buttons. (2 on each bud). Incl volume (not the phone's volume, but the buds')
- Taken 2 calls, and both said they heard me loud and clear
- Impressive hardware. Qualcomm QCC5141 + independent AKM DAC/Amp AK4332. 1 Dynamic Driver 2 Balanced Armature.

Not so good:
- No ANC or transparent mode.
- The mentioned app doesn't have en EQ.
- The case is kind of cheaply built. Plasticky with a "flimsy" cover etc..
- No wireless charging
- The buds are also light and kind of "plasticky" in a way, but not sure if that is negative since it makes them very comfortable to wear. What I'm trying to say is that they don't feel like a premium product when holding them.
- No multipoint connection (I think)
- No in-ear detection

A set of TWS that's made for sound, looks and nothing else I guess :)

Any questions?
Hi, I would like to ask if you tested LHDC codec with FW5? I am still kinda confused how to use LHDC on TWS, I only know some Android phones supports it but I dont have. And I dont know if any transmitter supports LHDC so I can use it on my PC.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #49,417 of 62,402
They don't but a page or so back someone said you can run LHDC in another mode via the FiiO App, I cannot confirm as mine are stuck with the crappy Royal Mail.

I have had 2 sets of buds with LHDC but did not know about that setting and was noy FiiO so would not matter unless others have a similar setting.

EDIT:

Quote: "Otherwise you have Hiby's and Fiio's apps which can transmit HWA which is basically LHDC in software"

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #49,418 of 62,402
Any one here heard the Nuarl Next1 yet? I've asked our local stockist for an opinion and they've said wide sound stage is gone with out HDSS, sounds sibilance and thin, took me by surprise as Nuarl has put out great sounding earbuds. they recommended me my N10pro and was spot on with it's sound but they don't recommend the Next1.
Had the same feedback, shame cause I liked the style and expected good things from Nuarl. Apparently something else coming out in Jan/Feb with HDSS, hoping it's a continuation of the N6 line, even the Mini as it's my most used bud atm.

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #49,419 of 62,402
I keep wanting to upgrade my AZ60 but truthfully from all I am reading there is nothing substantially better.
Might hold off u til next year when we finally get lossless tws.
Was asking my local stockist about the Campfire Orbit and Noble Fokus for sports and they recommended the AZ60 as the best all rounder.

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #49,420 of 62,402
New Fiio FW5 is kick ass. You think your TWS stuff sounds good. These have a dedicated AK4332 DAC chip in them and it makes a difference. Its the same DAC chip Fiio used on their UTWS5 arms but integrated to a greater effect on the FW5. My take on the new Fiio FW5.

DSC00694.JPG
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-fw5.26235/review/29795/

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #49,421 of 62,402
I have not high hopes for the mini pro ldac, but the price. My main are mtw3, the tronsmart apollo bold were good but -20C seemes to have crashed them-

the old jabra 65t seems to survive everything but sounds very dull,

I don't use my Apollo Bold for music, but it's a beast for watching movies and gaming that it sits permanently on my TV room table.. Really love that old thing.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #49,422 of 62,402
Apolo Bold were one of worse ever for me, totally overhyped release.

@mikp, The SoundPeats Mini Pro HS seemed to have touch sensor issuee for me the other day due to the cold weather (-4 to -7 and -9c with the windchill) if you remember the WH-1000XM3 (or was it the 4's) had this issue.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #49,423 of 62,402
Apolo Bold were one of worse ever for me, totally overhyped release.

@mikp, The SoundPeats Mini Pro HS seemed to have touch sensor issue for me the other day due to the cold weather (-4 to -7 and -9c with the windchill) if you remember the WH-1000XM3 (or was it the 4's) had this issue.

I agree for music. the bass is too overwhelming, mids sounds distant, and treble slightly veiled /subdued. But i found that specific for movies (and casual gaming), that same tuning makes the sound big like listening in movie theater, and the slightly subdued treble makes it enjoyable for really long listening, added bonus is the long battery life even for today's standard.

Have you tried the Soundcore Dot 3i? It has buttons instead of touch sensors, so it might work nicely for cold weather. A word of caution though, in stock/preset tunings it has overwhelming bass too like the Apollo Bold, but one saving grace is that this one can be custom EQ ed, and i found that after removing the bass, the sound is really good

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #49,424 of 62,402
Nope, do not think I will buy Anker/Soundcore or a few others again, lets be honest 90% of TWS have been disappointing so far and I have had quite a lot low/med and high end.

New FiiO FW5's have been sat at airport due to postal strike.

My dailies are my Soundpeats Sonic Pro's (buttons) and indoors use the Soundpeats H1's but not keen on them so much due to some issues never fixed.

For Hi-Res I use my FiiO Neckband+FiiOFH5's and for wired FiiO FH7's.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #49,425 of 62,402
Nope, do not think I will buy Anker/Soundcore or a few others again, lets be honest 90% of TWS have been disappointing so far and I have had quite a lot low/med and high end.

New FiiO FW5's have been sat at airport due to postal strike.

My dailies are my Soundpeats Sonic Pro's (buttons) and indoors use the Soundpeats H1's but not keen on them so much due to some issues never fixed.

For Hi-Res I use my FiiO Neckband+FiiOFH5's and for wired FiiO FH7's.

I feel as though, reading some of your posts, that you and I have similar tastes in sonic signatures, especially based on your list of gear. I will be very interested in your opinion of the FW5’s if and when you get them.:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back