Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 3, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #48,586 of 62,472
Here’s a fun game.

For iPhone users, I EQ’d TWX9 to match APP2’s frequency response (as best as I could) and it makes A/B’ing them “fairly” a lot more simple.

It sounds quite good, give it a try and your feedback. Mainly adds a sense of clarity and reduces midbass in favor of more sub bass punch.

This EQ will only be proven to sound like APP2 tonally through AAC codec. With android, you can use other codecs and TWX9 does sound a tad bit more analytical off the bat.
5016DF96-4BE4-4DEB-B49C-6AEFF03A8073.png

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 3, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #48,588 of 62,472
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 3, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #48,589 of 62,472
Now you understand when folks try to pin me down to answer which is best EX or TWX9, and I am wishy washy with my answer. IMO, the TWX9 improve in sq slightly with ANC. More than likely, it won't unseat Bose in ANC level, but the TWX9 is better than the EX in ANC.
I read a lot of comments on the EX having crappy Bluetooth connectivity and not pairing all the time. Sounds like that's not your experience?

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #48,591 of 62,472
I read a lot of comments on the EX having crappy Bluetooth connectivity and not pairing all the time. Sounds like that's not your experience?
Mine were buggy - not as bad as the EQ but not polished in that regard. Once paired no issues but pairing could be a chore which frankly is unacceptable even for $30 TWS. I wouldn't not buy them over it however.

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #48,592 of 62,472
I bought the Melomania touch a while ago but find they lack a bit of bass , even when I use the built in app to EQ.
Lets say if I spend say £200 to £300 what would you guys recommend ?

I think for the use they get , like out and about I do like a good level of bass impact .

Been reading about the NOBLE Fokus Pro and the Sony XM4
Honestly, I don't know if those others will make you happy either. AFAIK the MT are still considered one of the "bassiest" models you can buy without becoming "beats like", where the bass takes over the entire presentation. I mean, if you find the MT lacking in bass, I am not sure if there is anything out there that can give you the level that you want. The MT have always been known to be VERY boosted in that area.

Unless you like nothing but bass, I might suggest that you are (possibly) having a fitment issue. That will indeed cause them to sound like they don't have much bass. Try some tip rolling and see if that might help?!
I too have the MT but honestly I don’t find them lacking in bass. Your mileage does vary. I actually like their sound. But honestly I’m tired of their connection and charging (wonky sitting in case) quirks.

So, I too am searching for the next “sensibly priced” TWS. My main goals are better SQ, but this time around I’d also like better transparency, ANC and possibly Qi.

My current short list is: Free Byrd (230€), ATH-TWX9 (230€ but only in Japan), MTW3 (250€) and APP2 (299€).

I haven’t heard any of them, hence my ongoing indecision. The MTW3 are still on the list because I’m always curious about Sennheiser. The TWX9 are there because of others praise but they are not easily attainable. The APP2 are there because I’m in an Apple environment but they’re on the “too expensive” side. The Free Byrds may be the sweet spot but I’m very skeptical of buying without listening.

I hadn’t listened to the MT before getting them. I just trusted @miserybeforethemusic , @samandhi and others comments on them. They were right. But we want more... and better.
While I don't listen to them (or any TWS) as much as I used to, I still have mine and (still) don't have any issues at all. I must have gotten really, really lucky when I got mine, I think.

Thanks for trusting us (I really miss talking with @miserybeforethemusic), and glad that you approved of them. But, you are right, fast forward a few years, and I just think that buyers expect more for the money. I personally think that the sound quality alone makes them worth the asking price (still), but that is only because I haven't had any issues with mine. Now, from the standpoint of all the issues I have read about, I DON'T think they are worth that same money.

Between the 4 pairs I currently have, I don't really need to upgrade any time soon (other than out of simple curiosity). So, I will keep them until such time as the battery no longer gives enough play time to make it even worth it. :) Good luck in your hunt, though I would be 0 help to you (I am so far out of the loop for today's products).

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #48,593 of 62,472
They are the same, Victor bought Jvc sometime ago
Um, what? :thinking: What do you think the V in JVC stands for? Originally Victor Company of Japan but then JVC.They have changed naming around but don't think they ever bought themselves. Maybe you are thinking of JVC buying Kenwood.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #48,595 of 62,472
Nov 3, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #48,596 of 62,472
Wha, really? New to the scene and am super surprised to hear this - don't think I've ever had much issues with the EX

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #48,597 of 62,472
Not a TWS but AT is releasing a special BT headphone...
1667492037919.png
1667492052056.png

A wooden model with two L/R DAC's...

"For the DAC chip, a total of two ESS DAC "ES9038Q2M" are used, one on each side. It is said that it achieves lower noise and lower distortion than before. The operational amplifier is equipped with the flagship chip "MUSES05" of the MUSES series made by Nisshinbo Microdevices (formerly New Japan Radio). Mutual interference is eliminated by a two-chip configuration with separate input and output stages, and ultra-low distortion is achieved by a fully balanced differential amplifier circuit.

Equipped with a newly designed φ45mm HD driver. The diaphragm is molded in our own factory, manufactured using a new manufacturing method that produces high-resolution low frequencies, and is coated with DLC to improve high-frequency reproducibility. By incorporating this into the driver, it is possible to achieve high-response and expressive broadband playback."

It does have multipoint and LDAC. Special large 10mm condenser mic for calls. Being more about SQ it will only get 9 hours of battery life though. Some might complain about paying over $2,500 and getting only 9 hours of battery life. It can be used wired but only comes with USB C to A and C to C cables.

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #48,599 of 62,472
Seems nothing new being announced lately in the tws department. I guess companies are on edge about potential upcoming recession (we may already be in one). Conditions could get worse so companies might just be hunkering down.

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #48,600 of 62,472

Users who are viewing this thread

Back