Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 4, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #48,616 of 62,300
Just picked up APP2 from local store yesterday. Here is my first quick thought about it (~221$) vs Oppo Enco X2 (~92$) - which I have been used for about 10 days.

Design
Quite similar between the two, stem style, glossy white color, small and pocketable case (APP2's case is a bit smaller). Both are scratched and get dirt easily.

Comfort & Fit
About fitting, I got a good and comfortable fit with the default L size tips of Enco X2, but non of the default tips of APP2 give me that level of fit and comfort. I switched to the M size Azla SednaEarfit MAX with CP1025 adapter and feel a lot better. I didn't use the CP1025 tips because it even worse than the default tips.
For me, after get a good fit, they both really comfortable. They are the most TWS I ever used. I feel a bit more comfortable with the Enco X2 but not much, maybe because its tips fit me better. But APP2 have an edge if you are an side-sleeper, I will feel a little discomfort when sleep on side with the Enco X2 while with APP2 I have zero discomfort.

Connection
Let be clear, I am an iPhone user for 2 years and this is my first Airpod after Samsung Buds Plus, MTW2, Gemini, MTW3, Enco X2. Before getting this APP2, I have heard many good things about how fast, how convenient when using Airpod with Apple devices. But after having this APP2, to be honest, I don't really impressed. Maybe because right now I am not having an Apple ecosystem to use the features which I think are really convenient such as seamlessly switching between devices, share listening with other's Airpod. The Apple devices I currently have are only one iPhone and one Apple Watch, no iPad, no Macbook, no iMac,...

For now, the two features I have used is (1) simple setup step at the first time connected the APP2 to my iPhone and (2) I don't need to download a separate App to control it. For the (1) feature, it convenient but I think I still be fine without it, with my two recent TWS before APP2, the MTW3 and the Enco X2, the setup step with iPhone although is not as simple as the Airpod approach but still very easy and straightforward. Plus, you don't do it everyday, just one time. And I also don't mind downloading separate App to control my earbuds, especially when some give me the ability to EQ them.

About the connection speed when open the case and takeout the buds, my Enco X2 connected as fast as APP2 do, while the MTW3 is slower about 1-2 seconds.

Next is the multi-point connection, as I said before, I don't have other iDevices to take advantage of the APP2 multi-point feature. While with Enco X2, It support me to connect to two device at the same time, no matter it is Apple device or not, so I can connect with one more device such as my Windows PC or my Pixel and switching between them.

ANC
About the ANC performance, the APP2 is better than Enco X2. But Enco X2 have Smart mode, which will auto control the ANC level base on the noise level of the environment, this features make me feel less pressure when using Enco X2.
Now come to the biggest problem of the APP2, it is the noise when using APP2 ANC in a windy enviroment. The APP2 are really really bad of cutting the wind noise when using ANC, when using APP2 while cycling all I hear is wind noise, it even louder than my music and is unusable. Really disappointed, hoping Apple will fix this soon via software update.

Transparency mode
The only thing APP2 do noticeably better than Enco X2. The voice is louder, clearer and more nature than the Enco X2

Sound
I will not go to detail but for me the APP2 sound is good enough but the Enco X2 is better.
Here is my rank of my currently owning TWS
Devialet Gemini > MTW3 > Enco X2 > APP2

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #48,617 of 62,300
Anyone pick up the nothing ear buds?

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #48,618 of 62,300
Anyone pick up the nothing ear buds?
Which ones? I hand the Nothing 1 buds. They are great, decent features for the price, but I prefer others with the same form factor. Posted about them somewhere in this thread a while back. Haven't tried the new Stick ones yet.

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #48,619 of 62,300
Which ones? I hand the Nothing 1 buds. They are great, decent features for the price, but I prefer others with the same form factor. Posted about them somewhere in this thread a while back. Haven't tried the new Stick ones yet.
Nothing Ear Stick (not the previous version with anc, these are more akin to the airpods)

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #48,620 of 62,300
Nothing Ear Stick (not the previous version with anc, these are more akin to the airpods)
Yah, I'm sure they'll be similar. Haven't seen them on Amazon or the like here in the US. Nice products, but the clear plastic everywhere was blah. Pleasantly surprised by what they jammed in there for the price though.

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #48,621 of 62,300
Welcome! Well hopefully not; just ordered them :beerchug:
@gabriely Just arrived and 10 minutes in... wow these are good. Will post thoughts after some time but Beoplay Ex... well played.

Initial things that stick out:
1. Excellent calls (quality I hear and mics).
2. The music has a presence I haven't heard on TWS before. The bass is really textured.
3. Supremely comfortable.
4. No initial buyers remorse... which I get no matter what I buy.
5. It does exactly what I need. Calls come in on teams? Music pauses. Call ends? iPhone continues music.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #48,622 of 62,300
@gabriely Just arrived and 10 minutes in... wow these are good. Will post thoughts after some time but Beoplay Ex... well played.

2. The music has a presence I haven't heard on TWS before. The bass is really textured.
5. It does exactly what I need. Calls come in on teams? Music pauses. Call ends? iPhone continues music.
you forgot waterproof :p love mine.

Nov 5, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #48,626 of 62,300
Hi folks,

What are some decent $200ish stem type TWS?

So far I'm considering...

Oppo Enco X2
Soundcore Liberty 4

Anymore to consider?

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #48,627 of 62,300

I'm so happy you love them. They are great - the price point is bit steep, but that's the only big problem I have with them. That and ANC/transparency aren't great. Beyond that, on every other front they just work beautifully. Even in the pool or in the bath! Hahaha

Nov 5, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #48,628 of 62,300
After trying the Galaxy Buds Live for awhile, I do have some thoughts about them. I know they're pretty much old news at this point, but there might still be some interest I guess.
They're definitely NOT all bass as somebody said, on the contrary the bass is definitely the leanest frequency here.
I'm gonna say it like this, it's not impossible to get bass from these earbuds - If you wear them incorrectly and try to shove them in your ears as if they were in-ear earbuds.

Getting a good fit with these is however very tough, because it's so easy to shift these just a little bit incorrectly and it makes the sound quality very poor/very different when your fit is different between the two earbuds, and just finding the way to wear them is also difficult - because it's just so damn different from how I would wear most other earbuds.
I think it's very interesting though to have earbuds where you can so clearly hear the world around you and I see them at least getting some use at my office for an example. I was cuddling with my partner earlier and could listen to music for myself while I was talking to her which was really nice honestly.

They dont sound anywhere near as good as a pair of ordinary TWS's however, but if somebody has specific requirements of hearing their environments but want a little background soundtrack these are definitely interesting for the price. This type of fit will probably be perfected later on, but it's definitely interesting.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #48,630 of 62,300
Hi folks,

What are some decent $200ish stem type TWS?

So far I'm considering...

Oppo Enco X2
Soundcore Liberty 4

Anymore to consider?
Having owned several Soundcore products including one stem style, a couples Liberty Pro models and the A40. I can say Soundcore delivers in every area and does it more affordably than others. Combine this with good reviews coming out about the Liberty 4 I would say go that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back