Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 23, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #47,911 of 62,112
I tend to agree with this.
Even the old SoundSport Free weren’t really warm and boomy. They were more of a U shape in terms of sound signature and pretty clear and spacious.
I didn't mean to give the impression that the Bose are boomy - they aren't. They are warm however. It was more my reaction to the difference from the APP. After a bit more time listening, the APP2 sound more open, big and spacious. The Bose are fuller, more intimate and, yes, warm. I prefer the Bose tbh for pure music. And the fit is great. There's probably a use case to keep both right @erockg?

Sep 23, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #47,912 of 62,112
I didn't mean to give the impression that the Bose are boomy - they aren't. They are warm however. It was more my reaction to the difference from the APP. After a bit more time listening, the APP2 sound more open, big and spacious. The Bose are fuller, more intimate and, yes, warm. I prefer the Bose tbh for pure music. And the fit is great. There's probably a use case to keep both right @erockg?
Don't drag me into this! :)

Yep. I definitely think the Bose QCII sound full, warm and intimate. ANC is awesome here at the hacienda. Honestly, I've never liked the sound of my APP first gen. I'm cautiously optimistic about Gen 2. I rarely use my APP, but for audio sharing, calls, and anything that you do in the Apple eco, the APP are great. But I do prefer my QCII. Now that Bose has slimmed them down, added EQ, they do beat the APP and probably the APP2 in many areas. Why no wireless charging is beyond comprehension. They have force pair, not multi-pair which is fine here. I rarely use only one bud, but I know some folks want that option. The Bose do not allow for that now, or yet. Bose tends to push out updates that fix these things. So, who knows. Maybe some of these oversights are coming.

Sep 23, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #47,913 of 62,112
Don't drag me into this! :)

Yep. I definitely think the Bose QCII sound full, warm and intimate. ANC is awesome here at the hacienda. Honestly, I've never liked the sound of my APP first gen. I'm cautiously optimistic about Gen 2. I rarely use my APP, but for audio sharing, calls, and anything that you do in the Apple eco, the APP are great. But I do prefer my QCII. Now that Bose has slimmed them down, added EQ, they do beat the APP and probably the APP2 in many areas. Why no wireless charging is beyond comprehension. They have force pair, not multi-pair which is fine here. I rarely use only one bud, but I know some folks want that option. The Bose do not allow for that now, or yet. Bose tends to push out updates that fix these things. So, who knows. Maybe some of these oversights are coming.
My crystal ball tells me the APP2 will probably be returned. I do enjoy the Apple magic but your assessment is right and the Bose do beat the APP2 soundly in the music department. I also did not love the APP1 and rarely used them for music. They probably have a place for media on the ios ecosystem but $250 just for that? I don't know. Did that shiny new iphone 14 pro max arrive yet?

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #47,914 of 62,112
My crystal ball tells me the APP2 will probably be returned. I do enjoy the Apple magic but your assessment is right and the Bose do beat the APP2 soundly in the music department. I also did not love the APP1 and rarely used them for music. They probably have a place for media on the ios ecosystem but $250 just for that? I don't know. Did that shiny new iphone 14 pro max arrive yet?
Dear Devil,

Yes, 14 PM in hand, set up. Bose QCII blaring the new Ozzy album. Best one in years IMO. I'm only keeping those APP because if my wife and I want to watch a show late at night on the ATV, we can connect together. It's awesome. I don't think you can do that with two different non-Apple earbuds/headphones.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #47,915 of 62,112
Amazon finally reserved money for the ATH TWX9! Should get them soon then :)

My credit card was hit as well, I do hope that is a good sign

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #47,916 of 62,112
whether you woke up tired or energized, depending on if you plan on getting starbucks or peets, different tws for coffee made at home, if it is raining or not, if you're going to be wearing sneakers or dress shoes, smartwatch or mechanical watch (diff tws for each), etc.

without a huge diversity of reasons, there's no way to justify the sheer number of wireless earbuds you've been amassing. :)
la la la ... i had hoped ppl had forgotten :D

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #47,917 of 62,112
APP2 first impressions here...

First, I'm one of the weird ones who doesn't care much about ANC or call quality. All my old wired IEMs, custom and non-custom, had good enough passive isolation that I never saw the need for ANC. My current favorite for the past year or two has been the Grado GT 220. The tips sit deep in your ear canal and passive isolation is excellent. And I just love the GT220 sound.

My wife uses first gen APP and I feel that their sound quality is far below the GT220, especially on the low end.

I listened to the APP2 for a few hours last night and then did A/B testing this morning with GT220 on 2 iPhones. I thought the Grado would continue to be far superior, but I ended up eating crow. They are *very* close in overall quality. The APP2 have significantly better low end response and tonality than the original APP.

The Grado's bass is still more visceral, but I attribute that to the deeper seat in my ear canal and tighter seal. I wouldn't say it's stronger or better bass, but you do feel it more. An example would be on Solsbury Hill. There's a subtle bass drum kick that you hear and slightly feel on the APP2 but feel strongly on the Grado. The Grado low end is fuller and does color the sound profile more. (Interestingly, the GT220 is very different from the Grado house sound of their open-ear cans.) The APP2 are more neutral. Surprisingly, I'd give a slight nod in upper mid and highs to the APP2 as well. I never thought the Grados were sibilant, but I hear a touch when A/B'ing against the APP2. Overall, the APP2 is a much more audiophile-friendly sound while still being extremely fun and musical. I'm surprisingly impressed and a little sad for my poor beloved Grados.

I ended up using old non-pro AirPods a lot for iPad and phone movies due to the ease of use within the Apple ecosystem. I'm really glad the sound quality is so good on these APP2s so I can get the best of both worlds.

A few random notes:
-I'm so used to IEMs that go down into the canal that it's hard for me to feel like these are sealed. They're performing like they are though.
-The Apple fit test for tip size is garbage. I pass the fit test with S, M, L tips. I didn't bother trying the XS but I'd probably pass with those too. Medium feel the most "right"
-They connected very easily with a non-Apple device (Peloton bike which runs Android) and then went right back to my iPhone when I picked it up. Very smooth.
-The speaker and "Find My" on the case are awesome. You'd really have to try to lose them.
-I ordered CharJenPro silicone covered foam tips to see if I can get a tighter-feeling seal

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #47,918 of 62,112
If you have an Android phone that's the last thing you should be looking at IMO. Apple makes things to work well in their walled garden, that's their goal to get you only on their products. And while many are fine and some are great, the integration is a huge part of it. There are far better options for Android
You are absolutely right…

However as someone who works in a Windows, Android, iOS, iPadOS and MacOS world and occasionally crosses eco-systems… this was purely out of interest as sometimes one is forced to connect across e.g. I occasionally use my Airpod Max to Windows. Just thought with all the talk of both Fold and iPhone Max that someone had tried.

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #47,920 of 62,112
Which of the adidas you deem are best? The FWD-02 or other? Sound wise et all? Thx.
The FWD-02 IMO. Missing some feature, but I found them to be better than the other offerings by Adidas.

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #47,921 of 62,112
https://www.theverge.com/23365910/apple-airpods-pro-second-generation-review

They said “If you do intend to use the AirPods Pro with Android, be aware there’s currently a significant bug where playback cuts out after 20 seconds or so.”

Anyone tried the APP2 on Android?

Also, if anyone has the QC2 and APP2 can they compare voice call quality, sound, fit and ANC please?

I'm using the APP 2's with several android devices. So far, no issues. Tested on fold 4 and s21. Eventually will have them paired on the pixel 6, s22 ultra, and dx170.

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #47,923 of 62,112
Samsung Galaxy buds2 pro. 24 bit sound.

Ou7nn2j.jpg

Testing with Samsung flip 4 which supports the new seamless codec. Revealing mids, I can hear soft sounding mids which I didn't notice before. Listened to some 24 bit flac files, the sound was just amazing. The highs are not piercing and well controlled and the bass had good impact without being overbearing. Overall quite a balanced sound, the non emphasis on highs unlike the Harman curve might make it sound a tad bland to people who are used to "hotter" treble.

Very comfortable in the ears, no hot spots in the ear. As noted in a few reviews, the earwax guard in the ear tips are fragile, I've broken one side while changing ear tips. So I've removed the earwax guards as it doesn't seem to affect the sound.

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #47,924 of 62,112
Samsung Galaxy buds2 pro. 24 bit sound.

Ou7nn2j.jpg

Testing with Samsung flip 4 which supports the new seamless codec. Revealing mids, I can hear soft sounding mids which I didn't notice before. Listened to some 24 bit flac files, the sound was just amazing. The highs are not piercing and well controlled and the bass had good impact without being overbearing. Overall quite a balanced sound, the non emphasis on highs unlike the Harman curve might make it sound a tad bland to people who are used to "hotter" treble.

Very comfortable in the ears, no hot spots in the ear. As noted in a few reviews, the earwax guard in the ear tips are fragile, I've broken one side while changing ear tips. So I've removed the earwax guards as it doesn't seem to affect the sound.
Hmm.... This is not a post my wallet wanted to see. I was going to pass on the buds 2 pro. I thank you. My wallet despises you. :)

5E4B271E-8CD4-4470-8567-DFDB4CACFB0C.jpeg

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #47,925 of 62,112
I had a comical moment yesterday. I had my B&O EX at the pool and someone noticed them and inquired. I switched to an ultra hd track and said here you go. He put them in his ears and the gradual grin turned into an out and out toothy smile. He took them out and said WOW and I thought my AirPods were good. Then he raved about them looking so quality. He asked about the price, I told him, and he said "Wait, I see you in the pool with these and they are $400"?

Magical moment for this dude. LOL

Next up is the ATH-TWX9, hopefully I receive a shipping notice this week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back