Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 5, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #47,596 of 62,437
The find feature didn't help my GBuds 2. They fell out of my pockets at some point going to a park and in the coming weeks they made it into the back alleys of Chinatown before I lost track! (they were being pinged by other Samsung devices passing by the area)
DOH! I actually very fortunate in my case! The first time one of the buds fell out of my pocket in an indoor mall area and I found it rolled into a corner near where I sat for a while. The second time it showed the IEM had fallen out of my pocket in a parking lot!!! I managed to get there and find it and not have it run over and smashed to smithereens!!!!

Very lucky, but the find feature helped in both cases. I fully expected to find a smashed bud the second time and was so relieved when it was not broken!

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #47,601 of 62,437
Went for a walk in the wind today and found to my surprise a couple of things about the A40 versus the Linkbuds S.

First thing was not a good difference. The A40 has quite a change in signature going from ANC to no ANC. I never realized how different they sounded until today.

The next thing was the fact that the Linkbuds S have way less wind issue in non ANC mode whereas the A40 has wind sound when in non ANC. This coupled with the Linkbuds having almost as good non ANC isolation as the A40 ANC mode make it better for windy days. But the wind reduction feature of the A40 did help make it less noisy than the Linkbuds S when they were both in ANC mode.

The more I listen to the A40 the more I appreciate it musical abilities, it has more detail and a better sound stage than the Linkbuds S but only when I do back and forth a comparing. I am starting to play around with the Sony EQ to see if can bring out more detail in the Sony by emulating the EQ of the A40.

So I am still torn LOL. The A40 seems to work best in ANC only whereas the Linkbuds S work best when they can switch between ANC, no ANC, and Ambient on their own. Consequently the battery life of the Linkbuds starts to get a bit closer to the A40 because it doesn't need ANC very often.

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #47,602 of 62,437
Planar+dynamic drivers, LDAC, devialet tuned. Powerful and impactful bass. Mids and highs are clear and well defined without being sibilant. Mids sounds "fast" and a bit dry, maybe due to the planar driver?

esTrx7x.jpg

ZaUOwvB.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #47,603 of 62,437
Getting a bit impatient here I kept checking world wide Bose pages, in case there’s a glitch … so far nada, only interesting how other countries ‘translate’ the ‘Holy SH97’ message.
74AA260D-49BF-456A-8C44-9A78CA3090A5.jpeg

Question remains, will they wait for Apple to flinch first?

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #47,604 of 62,437
The whole set? This sucks! Why does that happen only with our favorite buds?
Maybe they still show up?
Here’s hoping!
Yeah, lost the entire thing. Unfortunately they didn't turn up! I think there's a real chance that somebody at my work ended up taking them. Could also be hotel staff/other guests (but there were very few of them) or possibly our bus driver that we had on the way here.

No way of knowing really, it is sad though.
Anybody have a set of L3Ps that they don't use that they could donate to me? :frowning2:
Lol, i wish.

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #47,605 of 62,437
Went for a walk in the wind today and found to my surprise a couple of things about the A40 versus the Linkbuds S.

First thing was not a good difference. The A40 has quite a change in signature going from ANC to no ANC. I never realized how different they sounded until today.

The next thing was the fact that the Linkbuds S have way less wind issue in non ANC mode whereas the A40 has wind sound when in non ANC. This coupled with the Linkbuds having almost as good non ANC isolation as the A40 ANC mode make it better for windy days. But the wind reduction feature of the A40 did help make it less noisy than the Linkbuds S when they were both in ANC mode.

The more I listen to the A40 the more I appreciate it musical abilities, it has more detail and a better sound stage than the Linkbuds S but only when I do back and forth a comparing. I am starting to play around with the Sony EQ to see if can bring out more detail in the Sony by emulating the EQ of the A40.

So I am still torn LOL. The A40 seems to work best in ANC only whereas the Linkbuds S work best when they can switch between ANC, no ANC, and Ambient on their own. Consequently the battery life of the Linkbuds starts to get a bit closer to the A40 because it doesn't need ANC very often.
How do they compare to the L3Ps if you've had them? I think the L3Ps are fantastic and hard to beat, but they need serious EQing and I don't love the wing tips.

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #47,606 of 62,437
Lol. 2 days until apple introduces lossless streaming on ios....
Do you mean a lossless Bluetooth codec? Because I’ve been enjoying HiRes Apple Music for a long time now, over a year:
1662543195911.png

1662543276056.png

Don’t bag on me for using “just” aac on the go… sounds about the same on my car stereo (VW Golf, since John made this a car thread 😂), saves battery, and has less chance of interruptions while driving cross country. But home, with my iPad connected to my desktop DAC/amp and HD 800, I do appreciate the lossless formats.

@subguy812 Hey good to see you again! Now that I’m currently left unemployed (long story, investment partner pulled funding and I don’t know why, wish I could have helped more), I’m going to try reviewing again, like you!!! I am so rusty though, and seem to have very little seratonin floating in my head currently 😅

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #47,607 of 62,437
Purchased the new Xiaomi Buds 4 Pro and really impressed with these. Feel that they are notch ahead of Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 and the new Samsung Buds Pro 2

APP has a lot of options. No EQ but supports multiple codecs, including LHDC and has been working with my FLAC files at 48 and 96 KHZ

Controls are pretty good and include volume, ANC,etc

Screenshot_2022-09-03-10-08-20-390_com.android.settings.jpg
Screenshot_2022-09-03-10-07-54-713_com.android.settings.jpg
Screenshot_2022-09-03-10-07-38-243_com.android.settings.jpg
How good is the ANC on the Xiaomi Buds 4 Pro, compared with the ANC on the Samsung Buds2 Pro?

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #47,608 of 62,437
Getting a bit impatient here I kept checking world wide Bose pages, in case there’s a glitch … so far nada, only interesting how other countries ‘translate’ the ‘Holy SH97’ message.
74AA260D-49BF-456A-8C44-9A78CA3090A5.jpeg

Question remains, will they wait for Apple to flinch first?
Not if they are smart. They'd be better off locking in pre-orders before the apple event.

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #47,609 of 62,437
Planar+dynamic drivers, LDAC, devialet tuned. Powerful and impactful bass. Mids and highs are clear and well defined without being sibilant. Mids sounds "fast" and a bit dry, maybe due to the planar driver?

esTrx7x.jpg

ZaUOwvB.jpg
That would be a planar characteristic for sure. Planar are known for their super fast and often very deep bass response but they won't rumble like a dynamic. Where can I get these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back