Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 3, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #47,566 of 62,544
I have decided between older ears that can't really appreciate the benefit, the need to constantly fiddle with developer settings, and often to my ears an actual loss of detail after tweaking LDAC is just not worth trying anymore. At best it sounds as good as AAC and worst loses so much detail when you forget to tweak it that you think your TWS sounds bad.

I look forward to the day a truly great codec is made but until then, as long as I use Samsung products I will just use AAC or AptX (not willing to root my phone to get higher AptX codecs).
I feel you! Old ears here as well ...
When I fiddle around or use one of my LDAC players I think I can still hear the difference between the codecs .. but there is usually some hassle involved, i.e. connection drops, which are annoying. My Tempotec V1 is really nice, but seems I have to carry it in a breast pocket as close to the master bud as possible ...
I think I am done chasing after the latest greatest codec ...
Mainly I want killer ANC, dynamic happy sound .. and a comfortable fit ...
So, Bose & Apple, get ready to receive my money in a few days :D

Sep 4, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #47,568 of 62,544
Only if your equipment supports it. I think only my HiBy gear does. :thinking:
ok, so, now I googled that ... and while I cannot confirm if my HiBy R2 player can do LHDC, it appears that my Redmi 9T is on the list of devices that can support it IF I upgrade to MIUI 12 ... something I am a bit reluctant to do, as this phone currently does everything I want from it nicely (mainly as a media player) and I don't want to rattle the cage (never done a UI / OS upgrade on an Android phone :D )

edit: nevermind .. it appears that phone already came out with MIUI 12 .. but it is hairy to confirm LHDC as the naming of Xiaomi / Redmi phones is just terrible .. there is a Redmi 9T, Mi 9T and Redmi Note 9T ... and articles tend to mix those up a lot .. anyways, can't find the buds 4 pro anywhere anyways

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #47,569 of 62,544
Purchased the new Xiaomi Buds 4 Pro and really impressed with these. Feel that they are notch ahead of Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 and the new Samsung Buds Pro 2

APP has a lot of options. No EQ but supports multiple codecs, including LHDC and has been working with my FLAC files at 48 and 96 KHZ

Controls are pretty good and include volume, ANC,etc

Screenshot_2022-09-03-10-08-20-390_com.android.settings.jpg
Screenshot_2022-09-03-10-07-54-713_com.android.settings.jpg
Screenshot_2022-09-03-10-07-38-243_com.android.settings.jpg
By saying these are a notch ahead, do you mean in sound quality, or just overall features? If sound quality, can you say how so, eg. Dynamic range, details, soundstage?

Sep 4, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #47,570 of 62,544
ok, so, now I googled that ... and while I cannot confirm if my HiBy R2 player can do LHDC, it appears that my Redmi 9T is on the list of devices that can support it IF I upgrade to MIUI 12 ... something I am a bit reluctant to do, as this phone currently does everything I want from it nicely (mainly as a media player) and I don't want to rattle the cage (never done a UI / OS upgrade on an Android phone :D )

edit: nevermind .. it appears that phone already came out with MIUI 12 .. but it is hairy to confirm LHDC as the naming of Xiaomi / Redmi phones is just terrible .. there is a Redmi 9T, Mi 9T and Redmi Note 9T ... and articles tend to mix those up a lot .. anyways, can't find the buds 4 pro anywhere anyways
Yeah, I don't know if anything that old has it. My R5 does, but I don't think the R3 does and I'm not sure where it is to check. I suspect Android is part of it, and not the HiBy OS that the R2 and R3 use.

Sep 4, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #47,571 of 62,544
You had me at she tracks you. That's hysterical. But you know, those 20-somethings are just irresistible. I'm with you at this moment re: iMessages. That said, I've got the Google Messages app up on my Mac all day and it's working okay. Def not as smooth, but my workarounds are getting there... until the aren't. The GB2 Pro integrate nicely. Really stupid that Apple and Android won't get along. Synergy would make things a bit more fun. All this said, my wife found out the Fold 4 is in the house. I mean, I needed it, right?
Yeah I don't even try to hide stuff anymore. It's not worth it. Wife was not happy about another new gadget. Although the phone pales in comparison to the Audi I'm expecting .... yes you absolutely needed it.

Sep 4, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #47,572 of 62,544
Yeah I don't even try to hide stuff anymore. It's not worth it. Wife was not happy about another new gadget. Although the phone pales in comparison to the Audi I'm expecting .... yes you absolutely needed it.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #47,573 of 62,544

I feel this
I want to build an e36 m3 coupe
Screenshot_20220904-110346_LINE.jpg

Problem is I already have a sedan e36 m3

tired-exhausted.gif

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Sep 4, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #47,574 of 62,544
By saying these are a notch ahead, do you mean in sound quality, or just overall features? If sound quality, can you say how so, eg. Dynamic range, details, soundstage?
A few thoughts:

• App is dedicated to the TWS units while Huawei is a broad type app
  • Control response feel better with the Xiaomi, but do like the Huawie volume control approach
  • Case is smaller for the Xiaomi which is always a +
  • The stems are rounded in lieu of square with the Huawei
  • Getting them in and our of case is absolutely easier with the Xiaomi
  • Sound , bass response seems close. I think the treble is better on the Xiaomi. Fell the highs are again close. Details come across better for me on the Xiaomi
  • Was expecting was more of Devialet tuning to come thru for the Huawei, but felt it was close to the previous version

Sep 4, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #47,576 of 62,544
Here is the raw Hear ID results for me, as can be seen I cannot hear anything above 10khz.
Screenshot_2022-09-04_162000.png

It sound better to me if combine that ID with acoustic which end up looking like this.
Screenshot_2022-09-04_163848.png

I have to admit I generally am not a fan of EQ but this combo sounds really good to my ears. It doesn't sound strained or fake and is very immersive.

I am torn between the A40 and the Linkbuds S, the A40 edges the S for sound quality as a whole with a wider more natural sound but the Sony definitely sounds good and is better for certain genres. The S has better quality of life features such as higher ANC, better ambient mode, ability to use assistant without having to touch the earbud, synaptic response to touches, voice activation for ambient when you start to talk, and auto pause. While the A40 is miles ahead on battery life, wireless charging.

I am pretty sure if I bought both at the same time I would just give the win to the A40 because I would not have taken the time to get used to the S features and would have just settled on the A40 as it has a more traditional set of features so I wouldn't know any better. But having used the S for a couple of months and gotten used to what is brings to the table with those features, you quickly realize how much they make life easier or better so are not as easy to dismiss.

Really wish one of these companies would just make the complete package... For now though, I have two great TWS I can use as needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back