Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 5, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #46,486 of 62,452
Funny you should mention the BWPi7 ... just spotted them for 200€ used on amazon.de ... but I faintly recall that many ppl had this and that issue with them .. I DO like the idea of using the charging case as a BT transmitter (for using in flight entertainment systems), but how often do I fly these days? once a year .. sooooo ..

Guess I just have to wait and NOT buy anything new ... The Horror!!!

(Kinda mulling over the KEF Mu3 ... everyone says they sound so great ,... )
If your in Canada I have seen the MU3 on sale for as low as either $88 or $98CAD at Visions Electronics. Generally they put them on sale for $148 versus the MSRP but I have seen them drop that price sub $100 twice in the past month or so. we don't get a lot of good deals up here but that is one of the better ones I have seen recently.

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #46,487 of 62,452
I would so sell my Devialet Geminis on the cheap if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have a receipt for them (got them as a gift), I never really use them and feel like somebody else might get more joy from them than I do lol.

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #46,488 of 62,452
Amazing and intrigued.

0a184728.png

https://www.reviewgeek.com/122293/asus-new-wireless-earbuds-can-convert-to-wired-listening/

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #46,489 of 62,452
That is a neat idea on Asus part. Will be interesting how good they sound.

I wish I had a time capsule, I used to own a pair of MDR-7550 which was a pro level in ear monitor from Sony that was an amazing IEM. I made the mistake of thinking I needed the MDR-EX1000 so sold them and bought the latter which I hated due to way to sharp a treble. Going from memory the Linkbuds S have a very similar signature. Not as big sounding, as that IEM had a massive dynamic driver that was very well tuned and the design was meant to give a more open sound, but the balance was very similar, again going from memory....

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #46,490 of 62,452
That is a neat idea on Asus part. Will be interesting how good they sound.

I wish I had a time capsule, I used to own a pair of MDR-7550 which was a pro level in ear monitor from Sony that was an amazing IEM. I made the mistake of thinking I needed the MDR-EX1000 so sold them and bought the latter which I hated due to way to sharp a treble. Going from memory the Linkbuds S have a very similar signature. Not as big sounding, as that IEM had a massive dynamic driver that was very well tuned and the design was meant to give a more open sound, but the balance was very similar, again going from memory....

So? What is stopping you?? :) No reason you can't have that with true wireless adapters. Most likely the EX800ST since that is the one that is available but that is the same sound. TWS adapters plus the connectors...
1657054104181.png

...and you are good to go. You could be listening to that right now! :) No time capsule needed just $$$.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #46,491 of 62,452
LOL I can't afford to buy THAT time capsule at the moment :xf_cool: . But yes the EX800ST is the same model as the MDR-7550 if I remember correctly. I did not know about that adapter though, very interesting! That is very cool and would allow me to Frankenstein them with the Fiio UTWS5.

My best 2 Sony IEMS were the MDR-7550 and the XBA-Z5, the latter was an insane 3D monster with a theater like BIG sound. Far from balanced but so amazing it didn't matter! Until the $$%#$%$E#%$% MMCX connector died and then broke when I tried to repair them, turning $700 into rubble...

The Linkbuds S are not those IEM's but is the next best sounding Sony IEM I have owned due to its balance sound and super comfy fit.

maybe someday I will be able to afford to take that time capsule for a spin...

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #46,492 of 62,452
LOL I can't afford to buy THAT time capsule at the moment :xf_cool: . But yes the EX800ST is the same model as the MDR-7550 if I remember correctly. I did not know about that adapter though, very interesting! That is very cool and would allow me to Frankenstein them with the Fiio UTWS5.

My best 2 Sony IEMS were the MDR-7550 and the XBA-Z5, the latter was an insane 3D monster with a theater like BIG sound. Far from balanced but so amazing it didn't matter! Until the $$%#$%$E#%$% MMCX connector died and then broke when I tried to repair them, turning $700 into rubble...

The Linkbuds S are not those IEM's but is the next best sounding Sony IEM I have owned due to its balance sound and super comfy fit.

maybe someday I will be able to afford to take that time capsule for a spin...
I took a time capsule ride last year and bought a NOS of the Ultimate Ears UE900. I wasn’t wowed like I was 10 years ago when I paid $400 CAD for them but oh the nostalgia lol
Nowadays they live on the Shure TW2 and I’m very happy with the SQ on the go.
I remember he the Sony 800ST were highly recommend back then and now I’m curious if I should look around.
They are around $250 on Amazon nowadays.

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #46,493 of 62,452
I took a time capsule ride last year and bought a NOS of the Ultimate Ears UE900. I wasn’t wowed like I was 10 years ago when I paid $400 CAD for them but oh the nostalgia lol
Nowadays they live on the Shure TW2 and I’m very happy with the SQ on the go.
I remember he the Sony 800ST were highly recommend back then and now I’m curious if I should look around.
They are around $250 on Amazon nowadays.
They were an awesome sounding IEM, no doubt. Sony at the pinnacle of their audiophile prowess in my opinion. I have bought so many Sony products based off that IEM hoping they would come back to those sound signature roots.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #46,494 of 62,452
for anyone owning the Sennheiser CX and the MTW3 is there a significant/justifiable upgrade to the MTW3? Also, I still have the MTW1, does the MTW3 sound "better"? I havnt bought a TW in over a year which is unheard of on the thread, lol. Cant decide between MTW3 and Beoplay EX.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #46,495 of 62,452
Funny you should mention the BWPi7 ... just spotted them for 200€ used on amazon.de ... but I faintly recall that many ppl had this and that issue with them .. I DO like the idea of using the charging case as a BT transmitter (for using in flight entertainment systems), but how often do I fly these days? once a year .. sooooo ..

Guess I just have to wait and NOT buy anything new ... The Horror!!!

(Kinda mulling over the KEF Mu3 ... everyone says they sound so great ,... )

The BT transmitter is a fantastic feature that really came in handy more often than I thought - flying of course, but also making my older 7.1 receiver able to pair with wireless earbuds which is kind of cool. Loved it.

What I didn't love was the fact that I couldn't switch between ANC / ambient mode without using the app. Also: no equalizer.

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #46,496 of 62,452
Rumor is that Amazon's return policy is killing them, I'd expect big changes in the near future.. apparently they have huge warehouses full of returned items.
Most likely a restocking fee up to 20% of the cost of the item..
Was just in the news last week, also their bottom line is suffering..
So I guess Amazon doesn't go through a cleaning process to re-sell all returned products? I always thought they did.

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #46,497 of 62,452
So I guess Amazon doesn't go through a cleaning process to re-sell all returned products? I always thought they did.
They do indeed. Amazon Renewed. The major problem I have seen with this and head gear specifically, is that because they (Amazon) has resold them, the head gear makers might not honor their warranty (because it's not through an authorized seller). Sounds like a bit of a grey area if you ask me, but it can be hard to fight that fight. I have seen it happen here on Head-Fi, though it may be a one-off so YMMV.

Edit: Also of note, Amazon is not very good at verifying whether the product is fake or not and has been known to sell those fakes as the real Mcoy. Or maybe they don't care, not sure. I know I tend to stay away from this side of Amazon altogether for all the above reasons. :)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #46,498 of 62,452
Interesting. Battery life seems to suck, but 5 driver hybrid (1 DD + 4 Knowles BA).... Oh, and don't forget the case doubles as a bottle opener. Gotta' have that! :)

1657074392144.png

1657074444141.png

1657074472156.png

1657074499369.png

1657074534591.png

1657074551887.png

1657074569198.png

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #46,499 of 62,452
Looks like it's not just Amazon, but all large online retailers; Target, Best Buy.. etc..
The article also said in some cases, if you don't like the product, just keep it, and they'll refund your money..
Now this sounds completely non sustainable, but who knows. Maybe there's hundreds of free headphones in our future.. There is a Santa... 😃

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #46,500 of 62,452
Looks like it's not just Amazon, but all large online retailers; Target, Best Buy.. etc..
The article also said in some cases, if you don't like the product, just keep it, and they'll refund your money..
Now this sounds completely non sustainable, but who knows. Maybe there's hundreds of free headphones in our future.. There is a Santa... 😃
So basically just lie about returning the product returning then get a refund? Most of them will turn up in the special dumpsters anyway lol like those money grubbers want the buyers to have free stuffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back