Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 10, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #45,213 of 62,573
Me too. The wingtips have no support/nothing to "attach to" (can't explain it better :) ) if the logo is straight.

Exactly! Same for me :)

Is there are anything like the CX 400 BT the instructions say to insert and twist to lock them in place and believe that should be the method too here.
It’s getting a bit getting used to but when they are locked in they are super comfortable and stable.

May 10, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #45,215 of 62,573
Is there are anything like the CX 400 BT the instructions say to insert and twist to lock them in place and believe that should be the method too here.
It’s getting a bit getting used to but when they are locked in they are super comfortable and stable.
Yes. Same here.

Attachments

• E7372897-93A9-4F4B-9B8F-5043DA537EC1.jpeg
    E7372897-93A9-4F4B-9B8F-5043DA537EC1.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 0
May 10, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #45,217 of 62,573
Reading the title of the thread, do we think its too early still ?
I believe until we get Custom TWS it is still early to say these are close to wired earphones.
TWS is limited by two things in my opinion.

One is the BT technology itself. It is a technology designed more for transmitting digital information such as keyboard and mouse and as such is not inherently good enough to transmit sound information without the use of a lossy format (losing data). The sound quality can be improved by dividing up the responsibility of the chip receiving the digital signal from managing everything. The challenge is by separating different components from the BT chip you need more electronics making the internals bigger.

This leads to and exacerbates the second issue with TWS. Everything has to be crammed into one small enclosure! This leads to less than optimal driver configuration and allows for very little if any room to let the driver have a cavity (more important with dynamic drivers). The TWS manufacturer then is reduced to using electronic processing to make up for the poor driver placement and design.

Neither of these issues will be solved by a custom shell unless its using only BA drivers and is designed to fully encased with no cavities and then all electronics would need to be placed on top of the driver configuration making it too bulky.

Having tried 2 different hybrid TWS and one hybrid (Fiio FH5) with TWS adapter (Fiio UTWS5) I can say that using an adapter gives the best possible experience sonically speaking. A good TWS adapter has enough room to allow for more electronics so the BT chip can be dedicated to only the BT processing and a separate DAC cab ben used to convert that signal into music. This combined with the IEM itself not needing to be compromised in regards to driver placement and design will give you the closest to a wired sound as possible and it is very good in my opinion.

The good news is if your existing custom IEM is either a 2 pin or COAX connected model you will be able to easily attach it to a TWS adapter allowing you to get the best of both worlds sonically speaking.

May 10, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #45,219 of 62,573
I returned the B&O EX, mainly due to weird issues like left earbud not auto powering on after taking out of the case, the case LED blinks red when used for wireless charging(B&O says it is from overheating, and to use USB-C even though my wireless charger has a fan), Charging case battery level not updated in the app(gets stuck and have to remove/reinstall app or factory reset buds to get the correct level), battery % on one earbud is 7 to 10% different than other bud (though this is more common in other buds too IMO). And lastly, the fit was better than EQ but still hurt my ears after couple hours. And that "dark" sound signature of the EX didn't help either.

Well I am gonna go down the MTW3 rabbit hole now...

I just need to accept that Technics AZ60 are the most feature rich, great sounding buds there are and learn to be content with it. These are my goto buds and they just work with no issues with music or calls...(battery % difference is still there though only 3% offset)

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #45,220 of 62,573
I returned the B&O EX, mainly due to weird issues like left earbud not auto powering on after taking out of the case, the case LED blinks red when used for wireless charging(B&O says it is from overheating, and to use USB-C even though my wireless charger has a fan), Charging case battery level not updated in the app(gets stuck and have to remove/reinstall app or factory reset buds to get the correct level), battery % on one earbud is 7 to 10% different than other bud (though this is more common in other buds too IMO). And lastly, the fit was better than EQ but still hurt my ears after couple hours. And that "dark" sound signature of the EX didn't help either.

1652221967730.png

1652222027952.png

May 10, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #45,221 of 62,573
Nothing that excited me on the TWS front. I went and bought this though...
1652223570231.png

1652223589182.png

Got a Hiby WU1 and a pair of CCA CRA. Total was $98 with tax and shipping($69 + $21). Got some power with a QCC5125 and AK4331 combo. LDAC, UAT, and the aptX's and all that. Hi-Res and Hi-Res wireless certified and I can ditch the case. A safer bet with glasses as well over TWS adapters and nicer to press the buttons than behind the ear for my liking. Lays right off the shoulder so not bouncing or pulling down. Better than the usual pods hanging down with less weight and freer turning the head left and right. Nice compromise for my liking and we can all appreciate more power and headroom. :) Does use an app...
1652224902640.png

CCA is indeed the little overachiever and easily powered. Big and open and surprisingly detailed and nicely extended and fun. Inexpensive, predictable, smallish, and the first one has a good F.R. for BT which is the reason I got it along with it's very spacious nature to counter compression. Great starting point anyhow. I did get the CCA first to run off my Z3 cable which has weaker power and it did well there but quickly got the Hiby to get better earguides and get USB-C and lose the dangle pods. :)

Course we lose ambient here. Well it just converts to popping the buds out instead of holding in to activate really. I always like the lay on the neck style since I use DAPs 3/4 of the time so no master/slave issue or turning the head giving a stutter since the antenna is no longer moving away. I mean I can still choose the master by which side Yamaha TW-E5B I pull out of the case first based on the pockets I have or want to use for a player. No issue with a phone having true stereo but for sports a 25 gram clip player versus the size and weight of a phone is a worse issue so I'll take tiny and select a side based on where best to clip on. Just no TWS connection issue using the Hiby though. Plus I love my little Cowon but it has older BT and I can't get perfect reception with TWS but I can with the Hiby esp. through walls.

Buttons are a little small and close together but it is a real good solution for me over the TWS adapter route.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #45,222 of 62,573
Not sure who Bart is, but it seems odd to compare them to the xm3. Why wouldn't you do the Xm4? They are just about the standard bearer right now in terms of the whole package. Yes, the Fokus has greater clarity, but not my much, and for fit and function (plus ANC), XM4 still takes the cake for me.

May 10, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #45,223 of 62,573
So, as far as TWS adapter, I bought the UTWS5 as soon as it came out, and I used the z1r with them... at the gym. My experience is that it didn't sound better than the XM4, which was a bummer, but I think the true issue was lack of power. The z1r need some power to make them shine. Paired with the Ifi idsd signature, they sounded flipping brilliant. with UTWS5, not so much. I considered going with a more easily powered iem, but that's just another rabbit hole... but I guess this whole hobby is that. My wife gives me the side eye every time something shows up on our porch.

May 10, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #45,224 of 62,573
TWS is limited by two things in my opinion.

One is the BT technology itself. It is a technology designed more for transmitting digital information such as keyboard and mouse and as such is not inherently good enough to transmit sound information without the use of a lossy format (losing data). The sound quality can be improved by dividing up the responsibility of the chip receiving the digital signal from managing everything. The challenge is by separating different components from the BT chip you need more electronics making the internals bigger.

This leads to and exacerbates the second issue with TWS. Everything has to be crammed into one small enclosure! This leads to less than optimal driver configuration and allows for very little if any room to let the driver have a cavity (more important with dynamic drivers). The TWS manufacturer then is reduced to using electronic processing to make up for the poor driver placement and design.

Neither of these issues will be solved by a custom shell unless its using only BA drivers and is designed to fully encased with no cavities and then all electronics would need to be placed on top of the driver configuration making it too bulky.

Having tried 2 different hybrid TWS and one hybrid (Fiio FH5) with TWS adapter (Fiio UTWS5) I can say that using an adapter gives the best possible experience sonically speaking. A good TWS adapter has enough room to allow for more electronics so the BT chip can be dedicated to only the BT processing and a separate DAC cab ben used to convert that signal into music. This combined with the IEM itself not needing to be compromised in regards to driver placement and design will give you the closest to a wired sound as possible and it is very good in my opinion.

The good news is if your existing custom IEM is either a 2 pin or COAX connected model you will be able to easily attach it to a TWS adapter allowing you to get the best of both worlds sonically speaking.
The issue with battery drain that we're finding with most TWS is due to the app connectivity.
The Grado GT220, is simple using pure bluetooth connection, no app or any fancy equalizers and definitely no ANC.
In fact I would not use it for calls too as the microphone is quite poor.

But, the sound quality is amazing for music, awesome bass and good tonality.
The volume can get very loud, you will never run out of headroom and the battery last for weeks.
I could not use it for a few weeks and there will be no standby drain whatsoever.
I'am thinking of hanging on to them until somethin else comes up that can better it on the sonic ground without compromising things like battery.

May 10, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #45,225 of 62,573

I just need to accept that Technics AZ60 are the most feature rich, great sounding buds there are and learn to be content with it. These are my goto buds and they just work with no issues with music or calls...(battery % difference is still there though only 3% offset)
That power on issue seems to have resolved itself for me. I did clean the contacts and wiggle them a few times when taking them out. Lucky I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back