Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 16, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #41,791 of 62,437
Thanks! Yeah, I have been reading about that one. I'm truly on the fence about needing another planar. Not that I don't absoulutely love them, but I JUST got the Timeless. I may have to pass on this one for a time (but maybe later). I am excited that more and more companies are on the planar bandwagon. It can only benefit us honestly.

Do I am interested in hearing how they run on the Fiio solution. I am also considering the UTWS5 myself, but I don't have anything that can do AptX Adaptive, and it is not backwards compatible with AptX HD, only AptX, and was hoping to hear from someone here on how they sound (in comparison) running only on AptX. If it isn't in the stars then so be it. I still have a few pairs of TWS, and lots of IEMs, and don't really mind cables (in all honesty). Just wanted to check the water temperature... :)
I can confirm that the utws5 sound fantastic on aptx

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #41,792 of 62,437
I was watching that review of the S12 earlier today. Much better form factor in comparison to the Timeless imo. Honestly, I really didn’t like the fit of the Timeless no matter how many tips I tried. These S12s look so much better.
They look like they would fit alot better. So far every review has been positive that I have come across. We are seeing legit planar iems for under 200, that is nuts. Tinhifi p1 and p1 plus were never to my liking. I think I will prob check this set out at some point. I'll wait on more reviews.

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #41,793 of 62,437
That's surprising to me. You are only like the 2nd person that I have seen that has had issue with fitment for the Timeless (even though it looks like it would fit maybe 10 people hehe). Hopefully the S12 will check all the marks for you then?!
Yup, too shallow for me. I’m special.

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #41,794 of 62,437
Shure TWS and 1More Comfobuds Pro both have really good ambient mode.
Shure is adjustable and can be amplified and well executed and works while on calls too. The 1More is more leveled and not available during phone calls.
Thanks for the recommendation! The 1More has me intrigued especially with the price and their claim for 40db of NC. I honestly never even considered that ambient mode wouldn't be available during phone calls. Bonephones were ordered bit earlier in the day, though I'll keep these in mind if I end up going back to TWS.

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #41,795 of 62,437
Dude...the lea for 26 is a no brainer. I own the tripowin Tc01 which is just an awesome set for 40ish usd and the Mele is wonderful as tripowins flagship at the moment but the Lea has gotten very good reviews. BGGAR describes the tonality as the same as the moondrop Kato. Tripowin does it right. There is a new BGGAR coming out that is an upgrade to the Mele...I don't know when.
I use balanced cable primarily just because on almost every device the more output power comes from the balanced port. Normally the sound opens up with more depth and soundstage,dynamics among other things. Not all iems hugely benefit but most do imo. You can find good balanced cables like tripowin c8 for 25-30 on Amazon. Really most of the Amazon balanced cables are great. You also have to take into account the type of cable...spc (silver plated copper) or pure copper etc which changes tonality a bit which matters to which iem you choose.
Ah, you silver-tongued devils! Ordered the Lea‘s last night after reading this and checking out the Mele’s. I‘ve had my eye on the Timeless (waiting for price drop/coupon again), but now you have me considering the s12.

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #41,796 of 62,437
Ah, you silver-tongued devils! Ordered the Lea‘s last night after reading this and checking out the Mele’s. I‘ve had my eye on the Timeless (waiting for price drop/coupon again), but now you have me considering the s12.
Ya, definently watch some reviews on the S12. A few select reviewers have gotten their hands on them, all of whom I have grown to trust in their opinion over the years, that's just me though. So far it looks very very promising and for $50-70 cheaper than Timeless... That is fantastic. The Lea is an easy buy at $26...Tripowin was a cable making company who is really making a great name for themselves as an iem making company. Really, apart from their first set the Tp10, they have had only hits and no misses...

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #41,797 of 62,437
Thanks for the recommendation! The 1More has me intrigued especially with the price and their claim for 40db of NC. I honestly never even considered that ambient mode wouldn't be available during phone calls. Bonephones were ordered bit earlier in the day, though I'll keep these in mind if I end up going back to TWS.
The comfobuds are just ok. For me the NC is below the Soundcore Liberty Air Pro, and those below the Gemini. To make matters worse, they do not default to noise canceling and for some reason, the touch controls do not always work for me from a non-phone device.

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #41,798 of 62,437
Let's start. What can you get now for about...
1642351070199.png

Calculation is a $39.99 TWS with 70% Prime discount making it $12.00 and then a 70% check this box discount off the $12.00. About tree fiddy worth of fun on a cold Sunday in January then I will gift them on.

About tree fiddy doesn't get you contact shield stickers so they need to charge but nothing to peel off:)
1642351423247.jpeg

1642351447005.jpeg

Plasticky but not that cheap and a nice look even if bland. Notice the oval tips in the first pic. These might be worth the under $4 price of admission by themselves. Those and a USB c cable actually are especially if these tips turn out to be good they will stay and I'll swap out before gifting. They are shorter TWS style tips with a wider oval shape bore. Interested to test them out.
1642352015566.jpeg

1642352028665.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #41,800 of 62,437
Been enjoying the AZ60 all day while doing chores, they just work, and work great too, ANC is pretty good, touch controls are superb, easy to switch to ambient (with music stoppage) etc.

Pansonic/Technicas did a wonderful job with these :)
They are a nice set. I loved the fit with them and the build, just nice. Maybe when the price drops again I will give them another try. I'm starting to think maybe I got a Lemon with the set I had.... Idk.

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #41,801 of 62,437
Guys i don't know how I missed this or did not know it but there is a High Gain mode on the KZ az09 pro. So if you click the right side 3 times that will enter you into High performance which is essentially 'gaming mode' but, (this is hidden and not in the included literature) if you click 3 times on the left it enters you into a 'High Gain Mode'. Somebody corrected me a bit ago and I tried it and.... Cool. It adds a few Db's to the Low end and a bit to the highs... Pretty cool. I have zero idea how I missed that

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #41,802 of 62,437
They are a nice set. I loved the fit with them and the build, just nice. Maybe when the price drops again I will give them another try. I'm starting to think maybe I got a Lemon with the set I had.... Idk.

Yeah, the nice comfort along with the awesome ANC and how the set handles ambient mode is fantastic. I basically never took them out for hours whilst shopping and talking with cashiers etc because of the fit and how well they do ambient mode.

Battery life is pretty good as well.

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #41,803 of 62,437
Yeah, the nice comfort along with the awesome ANC and how the set handles ambient mode is fantastic. I basically never took them out for hours whilst shopping and talking with cashiers etc because of the fit and how well they do ambient mode.

Battery life is pretty good as well.
Ya know, I promise the set I had came with such an odd tonality and I kind of ripped Technics a bit for it. I know I am repeating myself but I think I just had a bad set. I'm glad you are enjoying them, that is great to feel good about what you purchase and to actually get some good use out them. I did really like the way they looked as well as the fit. I remember being able to eq them to very nice sounding mids and vocals but was without some sub-bass/mid-bass. Kinda right in between the two. I'm going to try em out again for sure, check if I'm crazy or not... Lol

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #41,804 of 62,437
Ya know, I promise the set I had came with such an odd tonality and I kind of ripped Technics a bit for it. I know I am repeating myself but I think I just had a bad set. I'm glad you are enjoying them, that is great to feel good about what you purchase and to actually get some good use out them. I did really like the way they looked as well as the fit. I remember being able to eq them to very nice sounding mids and vocals but was without some sub-bass/mid-bass. Kinda right in between the two. I'm going to try em out again for sure, check if I'm crazy or not... Lol
I think you got a lemon honestly, because that doesn't vibe with what I'm hearing, not entirely anyway.
The mids are pretty great honestly, they are very vocal-forward (almost a bit too much... but just ALMOST).

The bass is 100% very present though, I would say almost too much at times.
I would like some more sub-bass though, and I would appreciate if the mid-bass was a bit faster and a bit clearer, it can occasionally sound slightly too muddy and warm, lacks a little bit of the instrument character and "bite".
I just put the 100hz band in the EQ down to -6 and the 315hz to -8 and the bass is still very much present at a level where it's almost... Maybe I wouldn't say that it's too much, but its just boosted in the wrong frequency, kinda. Too much mid-bass for my taste I would say, and I listen to plenty of bass-heavy music so it's not just that I'm some sort of treble-head, lol. But yeah I'm listening to a track that has a clear bass line but isn't meant to be a bass-bumping anthem and it still sounds plenty heavy on these settings to a point where I wish I had more EQ bands so I could fine-tune these even more.
I also have a hard time doing anything with the EQ that will make these sibilant even if I turn up the treble on them to the max, and I'm usually very sensitive to treble. Took me a bunch of time and eartips to be able to even stand listening to the Sennheiser MTW2's because they hurt my ears from the sibilance.

I find the ANC way worse than I expected when it comes to filtering out high frequency noise than I expected as well, but it seems a lot better than many other earbuds at filtering out low frequency-noises. I mean I know that high frequency noises are harder to cancel out, but I've definitely heard it done better on other headsets.

But overall they're a very solid earbud and they do sound really good, and I think when I've gotten used to the sound signature I will like them even more.
I know I sound like i'm ripping on them but they honestly do a lot of things right:
Battery life seems good so far, case has a decent size, the earbuds fit EXCELLENT in my ears, they feel like they're molded after my ear canals.
They also sound very clear in some frequencies, the mids are really good, the highs are solid enough as well.

It doesn't really sound like we're describing the same earbuds, right? Even to the point where I think the differences in our ears shouldn't make that huge of a difference, right?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #41,805 of 62,437
Been enjoying the AZ60 all day while doing chores, they just work, and work great too, ANC is pretty good, touch controls are superb, easy to switch to ambient (with music stoppage) etc.

Pansonic/Technicas did a wonderful job with these :)
I turned in the setting in the app to allow me to toggle from ANC to Ambient to Off. Love being able to have all 3 available from the touch mechanism.

Also find the signature to be very good in all areas. The mids are a bit forward but don't cross the line for me either and the bass is definitely not to lite for me but is slightly more rounded as compared to Sony but suits my music very well.

If @Ceeluh gets another pair I strongly suggest NOT modding the tips by removing the filter, I think it's more of a sound filter than just for wax. Use other tips if you want to experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back