Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 30, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #40,742 of 62,460
For those keeping score… I got the MMCX to 2 Pin adapter. Tried it with my Variations on the Shure TW2 2nd Gen. The TW2s just don’t have enough power to drive the V. That said, put the adapter on the MMCX UTWS5 and popped on the V and it works like a charm. Like @Dsnuts said, no need to get two versions of the Fiio. I think I’ll be returning my 2 pin version!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #40,743 of 62,460
Bump. Re read post. Was going to ask you about which tips you’re using on the Shure
More deets: I've rolled a lot of tips on the SE846 (well before getting the TW2). Some people swear by the Spinfit CP800, but IMHO I find that the thin, sticky silicone walls collapse easily and can be picky with fitment even if the SQ is great. The CP240s, IMO hurt the beautiful bass and mids. Which is odd, given the double flange, but I suppose the wider bore causes this. The standard length, medium sized Westone star tips are just perfect for me with the SE846, both in terms of fit and sound signature. If you can still find a Westone tip fit kit, I'd grab it.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #40,744 of 62,460
More deets: I've rolled a lot of tips on the SE846 (well before getting the TW2). Some people swear by the Spinfit CP800, but IMHO I find that the thin, sticky silicone walls collapse easily and can be picky with fitment even if the SQ is great. The CP240s, IMO hurt the beautiful bass and mids. Which is odd, given the double flange, but I suppose the wider bore causes this. The standard length, medium sized Westone star tips are just perfect for me with the SE846, both in terms of fit and sound signature. If you can still find a Westone tip fit kit, I'd grab it.
I’ll second that. The Westone tips are great. I use them too. 🤘

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #40,745 of 62,460
I’ll second that. The Westone tips are great. I use them too. 🤘
Funny I was wondering what others use on the TW2 last night as I was ordering some foam tips for my SE846.

I have Westone STAR tips on my wired SE846 but sized up to a large CP800 for my TW2 (better seal for me due to longer length). I just ordered some of the Shure foam tips last night to put on my wired SE846 for some more isolation and hoping it will ease some of the ear pain I have been getting due to extended IEM use, which I never really got with foam tips. With medium CP800 vs STAR, I found the STAR tips to be a bit more comfortable due to a combination of the material and a slightly shallower fit. I do find the sticky silicone material of the CP800 does create a better seal though.

Anyone using foam tips with the TWS adapters?

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #40,746 of 62,460
Funny I was wondering what others use on the TW2 last night as I was ordering some foam tips for my SE846.

I have Westone STAR tips on my wired SE846 but sized up to a large CP800 for my TW2 (better seal for me due to longer length). I just ordered some of the Shure foam tips last night to put on my wired SE846 for some more isolation and hoping it will ease some of the ear pain I have been getting due to extended IEM use, which I never really got with foam tips. With medium CP800 vs STAR, I found the STAR tips to be a bit more comfortable due to a combination of the material and a slightly shallower fit. I do find the sticky silicone material of the CP800 does create a better seal though.

I have the Shure beans, the Comply tips, Westone, Ety double flange and all the stock Shure tips, but I keep going back to the largest Westone or the stock grey silicone. I tend to get a better seal with silicone and like the bass with them.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #40,747 of 62,460
For those keeping score… I got the MMCX to 2 Pin adapter. Tried it with my Variations on the Shure TW2 2nd Gen. The TW2s just don’t have enough power to drive the V. That said, put the adapter on the MMCX UTWS5 and popped on the V and it works like a charm. Like @Dsnuts said, no need to get two versions of the Fiio. I think I’ll be returning my 2 pin version!
Makes sense man... I wish I would've thought about that before I got the 2 pin. Esp since that is exactly what I did with the Utws3. I have to say that I am constantly being surprised by the utws5... They just gel with quite a number of my iems... The dac/amp is nice for sure

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #40,748 of 62,460
Congrats! What brand did you get and what sized 2 pin?

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #40,749 of 62,460

I tried the stock foam tips that came on the SE215 Special Edition and while the fit was good, it changes the sound too much for me. Kind of muffled and lacking highs.

On a separate note, I was reading an old review about the SE215 Special Edition (Japan model) they said they lack sparkle - I dunno but the reviewer must have some sort of a hearing loss. I was expecting some ultra dark sound like my soul by these are tuned really nice. Highs are never too bright or hot and they have some nice on-stage like tuning - they just sound really nice for what they are with the TW2.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #40,751 of 62,460
Really depends on your use cases, IMO. I don't think there is one clear absolute winner. If you have something very hard to drive, probably the UTWS5. If you really appreciate polish around usability/experience and can't wait for firmware updates and fixes or if you own a negative profile IEM like a Shure or Westone, the TW2 is an easy choice.

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #40,752 of 62,460
Congrats! What brand did you get and what sized 2 pin?
Fiio UTWS5, OEAudio MMCX to 2 Pin adapter and today using the Moondrop Variations IEM. Good stuff!

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #40,753 of 62,460

My take: Since when was aptX Hi-Res it is 16bit so CD quality, it would need be at least aptX-HD or the newer aptX Adaptive and going by specs on their site is does not have either. Even with 2 or 3 driver with BT 5.2 Chipsets is really should have more than 7 hours battery life assuming that is with lowest codec so SBC @50% Volume so aptX @ 70-80% will be more like 4-5 hours and that is without ANC.

saw this product few months ago on our australian dealer facebook page here is the full specs.
https://www.facebook.com/earspantech/posts/416985999818143
it does have apt-X adaptive but i don't think its Sony hi-res certified like on that alibaba link in the video.

the mifo S specs
https://www.facebook.com/earspantech/posts/416980509818692

looks like the mifo S have independent ANC mode for sleeping a standalone feature with out needing a device.

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #40,754 of 62,460
I do not have/do FB so cannot see the page.

This is all I see on stores pages:

Hc6ac1856492f4ec0a64e1c047705c7ab5.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #40,755 of 62,460
I do not have/do FB so cannot see the page.
hifipods
Specs:
- Triple Driver 2x Balance Armature 1x Dynamic
- 6mic - 40DB Active Noise Cancelling
- Full IPX7 Waterproof
- Apt-X adaptive
- 7hrs Playtime

mifoS

Specs:
-Dual balanced armatures
-6Mic Active Noise Cancellation
-Full IPX7 water proof
-Sleep mode ANC active with out needing to connect to device
-Ultra Tiny. Fits in your ear for side sleepers (20% smaller than the O5) one of the smallest ANC TWE on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back