Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 25, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #40,471 of 62,436
Santa arrived. Showdown today to see which goes back! Fiio FA9 vs Thieaudio Legacy 4. Or maybe they both go back for something else? So far, leaning towards keeping the L4.

Attachments

• 95C132AE-8D53-4B8D-98F3-AAB57879B24E.jpeg
    95C132AE-8D53-4B8D-98F3-AAB57879B24E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 25, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #40,472 of 62,436
Which headphones do you want me to compare ANC with? I’m actually selling off a bunch and keeping these because I truly love them. I’m not having any issues with them at all.
Did that bass flesh out yet? Not night and day but less boom and more definition and more distinct. By 24 hours it settles.

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #40,473 of 62,436
Santa arrived. Showdown today to see which goes back! Fiio FA9 vs Thieaudio Legacy 4. Or maybe they both go back for something else? So far, leaning towards keeping the L4.
If I may ask, why FA9 and not FH9? Price?

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #40,474 of 62,436
Did that bass flesh out yet? Not night and day but less boom and more definition and more distinct. By 24 hours it settles.
Seems so. It's not as good as say, the Fokus, but I don't expect it to be since it was almost half the cost. I'm definitely impressed by the soundstage and ANC on them of cost. Have only listened to them for maybe 5 hours collectively.

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #40,475 of 62,436
If I may ask, why FA9 and not FH9? Price?
Figured I'd start out with the lesser expensive ones. Have you heard the FH9? They're actually in my cart. I want to like the FA9 but there is something missing with them. The sub bass and the mids on the L4s beats them. The FA9 are warm, maybe too warm for my taste. Always open to suggestions :)

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #40,476 of 62,436
Figured I'd start out with the lesser expensive ones. Have you heard the FH9? They're actually in my cart. I want to like the FA9 but there is something missing with them. The sub bass and the mids on the L4s beats them. The FA9 are warm, maybe too warm for my taste. Always open to suggestions :)
Missing a good dynamic :) And FiiO trying to compensate but not turning out right. Too warm hurts what armatures can do well and still doesn't add the sub bass which they can't. No experience with the FH9 outside of reading the impressions

The Autumn seems to be turning out well and the bass is adjustable in a more unique way than front screen filters. You need to find a L4 - Autumn comparison. :) Sounds like the Autumn is the right price and single driver should behave well with the adapters for drivability and coherence plus the bass adjustable feature.

Seems so. It's not as good as say, the Fokus, but I don't expect it to be since it was almost half the cost. I'm definitely impressed by the soundstage and ANC on them of cost. Have only listened to them for maybe 5 hours collectively.
Like the stage and the weight which is good when out against all the noises and warmth and note weight get lost to that. The CK70TW was too far though in the thickness.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #40,477 of 62,436
Missing a good dynamic :) And FiiO trying to compensate but not turning out right. Too warm hurts what armatures can do well and still doesn't add the sub bass which they can't. No experience with the FH9 outside of reading the impressions

The Autumn seems to be turning out well and the bass is adjustable in a more unique way than front screen filters. You need to find a L4 - Autumn comparison. :) Sounds like the Autumn is the right price and single driver should behave well with the adapters for drivability and coherence plus the bass adjustable feature.

Like the stage and the weight which is good when out against all the noises and warmth and note weight get lost to that. The CK70TW was too far though in the thickness.
I'm not familiar with the Autumn. I'll look into them. I'm also leaning towards revisiting some Moondrop buds. The Variations, Blessing 2 and/or S8.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #40,478 of 62,436
I'm not familiar with the Autumn. I'll look into them. I'm also leaning towards revisiting some Moondrop buds. The Variations, Blessing 2 and/or S8.
Can't go wrong with the Blessing 2. SQ, value, looks with the color faceplates though maybe you'd want the bass of the Dusk...
1640463209252.png

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #40,479 of 62,436
The Soundcore Life Note 3 (Life P3) is definitely a good TWS at its price point. Offering a great set of features for its price of $99 making it an excellent budget choice on sale right now at BB and Amazon in Canada at $69. I would say as long as your OK with a stem (my first stem TWS) these are a better value than Sony and Jabra entry level offerings.

The noice cancelling and ambient modes both work remarkably well and are above average in ability. The supplied tip selection is also very good.

Having the AZ60 where I see the drop off is sound quality. I would say it's as good or maybe slightly better than the Sony and Jabra entry level TWS but only may be 70% of the AZ60 when using LDAC and around 80% when using ACC on the AZ60. Considering is around 1/3 the price though it is still a bargain and unless you have both IEMs to A/B test a person would blissfully enjoy the Lifenote 3 without missing a beat.

I am going to give them to my son and sell the Jabra and Sony entry level items.

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #40,482 of 62,436
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #40,483 of 62,436
Anybody have any info about the upcoming Ultrasone TWS (https://ultrasone.com/lapis/?lang=en)? They look promising but I haven't seen any coverage on this yet.
They’re claiming 32 dB of isolation which is very high (like that’s Etymotic quotes which I haven’t heard a single IEM-based ANC system be able to match). 30 hour total battery life including case which is about 5 hours of single-charge life, 65 mAH battery (per earbud I assume) and 650 mAH case battery means that the case can recharge 5 times plus the 1 time for the IEMs themselves, so we get about 5 hour battery life on a single charge.

Historically Ultrasone has been a mixed bag regarding sound quality. Some of their headphones are OK/good while others are rubbish. Just ask Tyll about the Edition 10

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #40,484 of 62,436
Surprisingly, I did not notice any sound degradation when I A/B tested multiple ambient sound volume levels (and vs. ambient mode disabled).

Right now, you activate ambient mode within the app by setting a volume level. Supposedly, FiiO might be planning support to toggle it via the earhook button, but TBD on that.

My main feedback is that ambient currently requires an active audio stream to work (i.e., playing music, sitting in a vid call, etc.) and that wind noise suppression is inconsistent.

But, for hearing traffic on a run or hearing your own voice during a video call, etc. it works really well.

For whatever reason, the ambient microphone sound quality is seemingly better than the voice call quality.

I'm hopeful that FiiO will continue to support the UTWS5, because there is a lot of room to make an already great product amazing IMHO.

These sadly might be deal breakers for me as I normally use ambient when music is paused. I usually use ambient if I have people around me but I often find it difficult to carry even a short convo when the volume level is low enough.
Also, switching the ambient on/off via off is a pain in the neck as I often don't have the phone on me.
Re mic, one reviews that I was watching, the guy praised the device itself but says the mics are useless and to not even bother with them.
All in all, I may pull the trigger but the feedback feels like this product has great potential but is still half-baked to be highly recommended.

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #40,485 of 62,436
Not too bad so far - Marshall Mode II. Very tiny. They have an app and transparency mode. Sadly, no volume controls on the buds.

Attachments

• 6A501EAD-488E-4EB6-9334-9A93943F0AAB.jpeg
    6A501EAD-488E-4EB6-9334-9A93943F0AAB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 54729B69-4C8F-4912-8F05-8CBB75E7432A.jpeg
    54729B69-4C8F-4912-8F05-8CBB75E7432A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back