Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 18, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #40,336 of 62,439
Grabbed the Beats Pro to work with my Apple Ecosystem. Not a bad product. I like the fit. The sound is very balanced - APP like. The spatial audio part is really special. If Apple ever decides to do a hi end headphone (no the APM is not it), there may be something there. These are definitely passable for music. Good product with the typical Apple polish. I don't see why anyone would buy the APP unless the form factor is preferable.
maybe Beats Pro still not available in the region :) I can;t believe they don;t get them out here (in Japan) before xmas (last I heard was some time in January) ...
Those might be the last TWS I will buy for a long time :D .. at least that's what I keep telling myself

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #40,338 of 62,439
Was wondering if I am the only one experiencing discomfort with BT earphones.

I have tried quite few of them (lot's JBLs TWS and headphones, Jabra TWS and headphones, Sony TWS and headphones) and especially TWS with BT 5 or higher are hurting my ears after not big listening sessions.

Same with on ear headphones but only on side where wireless transmitters are placed.

Nothing like that with wired headphones and smaller effect with older versions of BT (like 4).

Anyone else experiencing same things? I am now quite sensitive to that and basically am staying away from wireless headphones. Not sure would that be the same with dedicated 2.4Ghz transmitters like gaming headsets (will have to test as well).

Seems to me that this might be due to wireless transmission of signals, because it is only with wireless that I get pain in ears.

Am I the only one? Anyone else experiencing same things?

I am exploring BT technology for this reason and looking for some clues in scientific papers.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #40,340 of 62,439

I have tried quite few of them (lot's JBLs TWS and headphones, Jabra TWS and headphones, Sony TWS and headphones) and especially TWS with BT 5 or higher are hurting my ears after not big listening sessions.

Same with on ear headphones but only on side where wireless transmitters are placed.

Nothing like that with wired headphones and smaller effect with older versions of BT (like 4).

Anyone else experiencing same things? I am now quite sensitive to that and basically am staying away from wireless headphones. Not sure would that be the same with dedicated 2.4Ghz transmitters like gaming headsets (will have to test as well).

Seems to me that this might be due to wireless transmission of signals, because it is only with wireless that I get pain in ears.

I am exploring BT technology for this reason and looking for some clues in scientific papers.
What kind of pain?

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #40,341 of 62,439
No there is not, at least not that I am aware of and I feel like I've seen most that is out there. I haven't seen actual aptx-hd and truthfully the only thing I have seen is on Bluetooth adapters with the codec at this point
Thanks I was tempted for the az60 but, atm, I may use my low budget fiil t1 pro for calls and easy listen

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #40,342 of 62,439

You mean pain in the concha?
My first set of TWS was an old Jabra was giving me a hard time for the first 2 weeks but I got used to it eventually and over the years kind of learned what works best for my ears with very little discomfort or pain.
You can always try adapters to use with your IEM.
I’m using the Shure TW2 nowadays and like them a lot. It might be worth a shot as they are decently priced.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #40,343 of 62,439
What kind of pain?

Deep in ear. Like pain in nerves of ear system, not mechanical pain on outside of ear, if that was the case then wired headphones would achieve same result but they don't. It is something to do with Bluetooth wireless technology. Sure I will figure out what it is in frequencies and communication protocols that harms ears.

You mean pain in the concha?
My first set of TWS that wand an old Jabra was giving me a hard time for the first 2 weeks but I got used to it eventually and over the ears kind of learns what works best for my ears with very little discomfort or pain.
You can always try adapters to use with your IEM.
I’m using the Shure TW2 nowadays and like them a lot. It might be worth a shot as they are decently priced.

Its not physical outer ear thing. It is inner nerve system of ear.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #40,344 of 62,439
Good last minute gift/stocking stuffer???

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #40,345 of 62,439
just got the sonys...

my day is ruined my disappointment is immeasurable.

sound quality is weird, LDAC keeps cutting out having the phone in my pocket (with the same phone i can go to the bathroom with the BTR5 on me leaving the phone in my room using LDAC), went to the shopping center and had to turn off dynamic sound control because it kept going to ambient due to it detecting other people talking.

its not that they dont sound as good as the N400 i had before, that i knew, what i didnt know is that it would be trading blows with a ZEX on a AZ09 Pro...

Put them on alzas, now they sound a bit better, the default tips are horrible, its like they tried to copy complys and got EVERYTHING wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #40,347 of 62,439
sound quality is weird, LDAC keeps cutting out having the phone in my pocket (with the same phone i can go to the bathroom with the BTR5 on me leaving the phone in my room using LDAC), went to the shopping center and had to turn off dynamic sound control because it kept going to ambient due to it detecting other people talking.
LDAC is definitely tricky, I find I have to use 660 at most, 990 is not very stable. If you look back through the thread several people give strategies on getting the most out LDAC. I think my smart watch just adds to much strain to the BT stack in my case.

Dec 18, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #40,349 of 62,439
I got the Shure TW2 along with a set of the Aonic 5 iems. I couldn’t get enthusiastic about what I was hearing. So I kept the relatively expensive Aonic 5s and returned the TW2s, figuring I could enjoy the iems once I figured out some ways around the barricades Apple puts around our experience of quality sound. So got my Qudelic, my Apple CCK, and the stray cables to open the music up! I don’t know how to experience this music on the go, as it is truly a dongle/cable orgy.

Bottom line: I did all this and I just don’t like the sound signature on the Aonic 5s. D’oh!

Personally, I think the TW2 is a very nice product but the whole system is pretty unique and may not be as a main TWS set.
With the SE 215 Special Edition I like what I hear. It may not be a super audiophile sound but it's better than most of the stuff that I currently own or heard and at $165 the price was right too.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #40,350 of 62,439
I need to win the lottery...

I keep wanting to buy the WF-1000XM4. My reason is not because I think my AZ60 sound bad. Nope, I just want to satisfy my curiosity of whether the Sony's sound as good or better. But spending $400 to satisfy that itch is just crazy.

Question, for those who own the Sony, can you use LDAC plus EQ in the app? I always hated the limitation of stock sound when using LDAC on older Sony BT headphones. I ask because I know the bass is going to be over cooked and the treble to polite for my liking.

Still likely going to wait until the XM4 starts to go in sale for $200 or around that price. But would like to know I can use the best codec plus shape the sound before I even consider them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back