Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 7, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #39,961 of 62,385
I wanted to say boomy but it's not exactly right since it's not overwhelming such that it covers everything else. Maybe impactful sub bass would be a better term. The Sony has a more mid bass sound, I think it's due its smaller driver as compared to the Technics and Samsung, so the Sony gives an illusion of bass but I don't actually feel it like on the Technics and Samsung. The Technics sound more airy but less "spatial", the sound is mainly concentrated within the head. Sony has the most "spatial" soundstage while the Samsung is somewhere in-between (more left right and less centre back).
Agree Sony lacks sub bass and is heavier in mid bass.
With LDAC found a wide sound stage with the AZ60

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #39,962 of 62,385
Both. They opened up a lot when I swapped them out. I thought at the time that those hybrid Sony tips kind of muffled them a bit. It's been a bit now, I may throw on the Sony's again and see the differences. I am also not a fan of foam tips, which was another driving reason for swapping them. @erockg is running EPros on his, he might be able to provide some additional insight as those are a bit easier/cheaper to get ahold of over the Finals (Hong Kong)

Looks like they're on Amazon. Are these the same ones you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Audio-Silicone-Audio-Technica-Campfire/dp/B083KN15MJ?th=1

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #39,965 of 62,385
Agree Sony lacks sub bass and is heavier in mid bass.
With LDAC found a wide sound stage with the AZ60
The Sony mid bass is very well done. I don't usually like earbuds with strong mid bass, but the Sony has has done it in a way which makes it sound natural and without compromising the mids and highs, so vocals come through as extremely natural.

I find LDAC to sound better over AAC for both the Sony and Technics, LDAC gives the top end more air and resolution. I find the Sony in particular to be quite bad at decoding AAC. I was connecting the Sony to a new phone and thought I was listening to a low bitrate file until I remembered to turn on the LDAC option on the phone and everything sounded much better.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #39,967 of 62,385
Hallelujah! After messing around with them a bit more, the AZ70W are back in action. The factory reset process on these is a little weird and the manual doesn't do the best job of trying to explain it, so here's my version:
  1. Remove bud from case, wait for light to turn blue
  2. Hold finger on sensor until lights alternate blue & red (~5 sec)
  3. Release finger, then hold again until only blue light blinks (~10 sec)
  4. When lights turn off, put back in case
You have to do this whole procedure for each side, so keep that in mind. Hopefully it's not something you'll find yourself going frequently, but it's at least possible.

Honestly, I'm just grateful to have them back in the arsenal. They fit a good niche.

PXL_20211207_162613220.jpg

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #39,969 of 62,385
Both. They opened up a lot when I swapped them out. I thought at the time that those hybrid Sony tips kind of muffled them a bit. It's been a bit now, I may throw on the Sony's again and see the differences. I am also not a fan of foam tips, which was another driving reason for swapping them. @erockg is running EPros on his, he might be able to provide some additional insight as those are a bit easier/cheaper to get ahold of over the Finals (Hong Kong)
I seem to be using those ePros on everything nowadays, even all my B&Os. Love the fit. Truly was unhappy with all the stock tips Sony provided with the XM4. I agree with your tip assessment. Sonys were very muffled and I couldn't get a secure feel.

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #39,970 of 62,385
Looks like they're on Amazon. Are these the same ones you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Audio-Silicone-Audio-Technica-Campfire/dp/B083KN15MJ?th=1
I disagree with what they've told you above. These are what I purchased and they did in fact fit my XM4s just fine. Type E is what you want. They also come with that little red adapter that lets you adapt them for the Shure/Westone buds. Hmm, maybe I should revisit for that. Either way, you can just return them if you don't like them. I did that with my Finals because they're just Sony clones from way back. I had a few of the Sony tips in my arsenal.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #39,971 of 62,385
I disagree with what they've told you above. These are what I purchased and they did in fact fit my XM4s just fine. Type E is what you want. They also come with that little red adapter that lets you adapt them for the Shure/Westone buds. Hmm, maybe I should revisit for that. Either way, you can just return them if you don't like them. I did that with my Finals because they're just Sony clones from way back. I had a few of the Sony tips in my arsenal.
I have both and they do both work, The TWS model are a bit shorter though and let the Sonys sit a bit further in your ear for stability. I can take some pictures in a bit when I get some time.

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #39,972 of 62,385
I have both and they do both work, The TWS model are a bit shorter though and let the Sonys sit a bit further in your ear for stability. I can take some pictures in a bit when I get some time.
I trust your assessment. Only you, Boo.

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #39,973 of 62,385
I am going to give my trusty Sony hybrids a try on the AZ60 today. Will see what that does to the sound. Know they will be more comfy even though I really like the default tips. Those original Sony hybrid tips are simply the best tip ever made for comfort...

Edit: The Sony change the sound quite a bit! Treble has a lot more sizzle, vocals have added sibilance, bass is different... will need to spend more time with different tracks to give a better opinion on the bass.

I have old man ears, so the added treble and midrange is simply more revealing for me, might cross the line for younger more sensitive ears. I have some wider mouth tips that would be more like the default tips minus the foam insert, I will try a pair of those at some point. My suspicion is they may make the AZ60 to sharp for me which will make me glad I have left the default tips alone...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #39,974 of 62,385
https://www-phileweb-com.translate....4.html?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US
Looked pretty sweet but then saw just SBC/AAC. $140 should probably have it and 18 hours battery life is also not a reason to shy away from better codecs. Lot of talk about SQ there but you can kinda see they protected the higher model there instead of doing their best. Too bad. Nice shade of red. :)

Sorry , work has kept me super busy. ATH is boomy and a bit darker when compared to EQ. Apps are similar. Portability goes to EQ but I think the controls may be easier on ATH
Is that with stock tips? Also, thankfully some boom goes away after a while with enough hours. I can even use some EQ presets that add bass even though they are not bass shy. My favorite for bass of all I have heard so far. Have you tried the AT with any 360 spatial audio?

I would expect, given the prices the B&O to be better but seems they are not far apart. EQ a bit better but AT better value perhaps? Not bad as it is a 5 series level. Not bad at all. :) Still keeping an eye on that TWX9 FCC filing for the pics and or manual to come out. Curious to see if that is the flagship and how good it looks. All we have is a blurred charge case pic...
1638904925341.png

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #39,975 of 62,385
https://www-phileweb-com.translate....4.html?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US
Looked pretty sweet but then saw just SBC/AAC. $140 should probably have it and 18 hours battery life is also not a reason to shy away from better codecs. Lot of talk about SQ there but you can kinda see they protected the higher model there instead of doing their best. Too bad. Nice shade of red. :)

Is that with stock tips? Also, thankfully some boom goes away after a while with enough hours. I can even use some EQ presets that add bass even though they are not bass shy. My favorite for bass of all I have heard so far. Have you tried the AT with any 360 spatial audio?

I would expect, given the prices the B&O to be better but seems they are not far apart. EQ a bit better but AT better value perhaps? Not bad as it is a 5 series level. Not bad at all. :) Still keeping an eye on that TWX9 FCC filing for the pics and or manual to come out. Curious to see if that is the flagship and how good it looks. All we have is a blurred charge case pic...
1638904925341.png
You guys just convinced me to pass and stick with my heavenly EQs :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back