Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #39,946 of 62,381
Ya, as the honeymoon wanes I am noticing the bass is just a bit boomy making rhythm a bit off. It works amazingly well for other instruments that fall into the bass range but rhythm definitely suffers. Still enjoying my pair as a lot of my music works extremely well with these.

I do find if I turn down the 315 band a smidge it helps reduce some of the boominess though. I also found it kind of pleasing to up the 100 band just a smidge in regards to oomph. Actually I noticed the treble+ and dynamic EQ's both were the same except in the bass and I modeled the 3 upper bands off of their graph and then just tweaked the bass bands after that.

I also have continued using them with no EQ when I am not playing around with the EQ to see if I can get used to the signature Technics was driving for.

Just fired these up with AAC and will see how long the battery lasts using that plus ANC. Definite drop in sound quality using AAC, but OK for working as I am not paying attention to the music as much anyway, plus it will allow me to used multi-point which was one of the reasons I bought the AZ60...
Any dips between 250-500Hz should help split the bass and lower mids, giving you what you're after.

Really happy to see how happy you are with the AZ60. Enjoy!

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #39,947 of 62,381
How would you compare the Technics to Sony and Samsung? How did the Acoustune tips change sounds from stock?
The Technics sounds more exciting than the Sony and Samsung, more treble and bigger bass, I would say the Technics has a more consumer friendly sound. The Technics also has all controls available on buds. The accoustune tips makes the mids and highs sound drier and faster and cuts the smoothens the bass. The Sony is smoother and more refined and is more suitable for prolonged listening, but can't have all controls. The Samsung is well balanced and the bigger driver produces bass that can be felt.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #39,948 of 62,381
Earlier today I spent about 3.5 hours with the Technics AZ60 and liked them a lot, but I don't think I like them as much as my old Nuarl N6 Pro.

I also ran to Best Buy tonight and grabbed a set of the Sony XM4 to give a shot and have been listening to them for the past 90 minutes.

Well dang, Sony really brought their A-game when it comes to the DSP. The tuning out of the box is very bass heavy and dark and lush (not objectionably so), but the EQ functionality in the app is really excellent. Major kudos to Sony as they give you a much more usable set of tuning bands as well as a separate bass level slider compared to the Technics app. These headphones respond amazingly to EQ without any distortion or weird changes to tonality. The fundamental driver implementation and tuning seems to be such that it's not much trouble to find a frequency response that works for you AND maintains the smooth and rich quality of the sound without compromising on clarity.

I think the Technics is quite nice, but the Sony sounds a bit more detailed and controlled and has a really impressive ability to be sculpted to the user's tastes. I'd definitely choose the XM4 over the AZ60 from a sound perspective alone.

Incidentally, the ANC of the Sony is a bit better than that of the Technics. I briefly owned the XM3 when it first came out, and I have to say that Sony has come a long way.

My only quibbles thus far:
- I'd love more than 3 sizes of eartips. The L is just a tad too large and the M is just a tad too small. Damn these Goldilocks ears
- Like the Technics (and most other TWS earbuds) the staging is pretty intimate. I'd like some more depth to the soundstage and better layering and separation. From memory, my dearly departed Nuarl N6 Pro had better imaging in that regard.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #39,949 of 62,381
Earlier today I spent about 3.5 hours with the Technics AZ60 and liked them a lot, but I don't think I like them as much as my old Nuarl N6 Pro.

I also ran to Best Buy tonight and grabbed a set of the Sony XM4 to give a shot and have been listening to them for the past 90 minutes.

Well dang, Sony really brought their A-game when it comes to the DSP. The tuning out of the box is very bass heavy and dark and lush (not objectionably so), but the EQ functionality in the app is really excellent. Major kudos to Sony as they give you a much more usable set of tuning bands as well as a separate bass level slider compared to the Technics app. These headphones respond amazingly to EQ without any distortion or weird changes to tonality. The fundamental driver implementation and tuning seems to be such that it's not much trouble to find a frequency response that works for you AND maintains the smooth and rich quality of the sound without compromising on clarity.

I think the Technics is quite nice, but the Sony sounds a bit more detailed and controlled and has a really impressive ability to be sculpted to the user's tastes. I'd definitely choose the XM4 over the AZ60 from a sound perspective alone.

Incidentally, the ANC of the Sony is a bit better than that of the Technics. The last Sony TWS I heard was the XM2, and I have to say that they've come a long way.

My only complaint on first thought is I'd love more than 3 sizes of eartips. The L is just a tad too large and the M is just a tad too small. Damn these Goldilocks ears.
I haven't used their tips since I bought my XM4s. I use Final Type E TWS on mine and they made a world of difference for me.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #39,951 of 62,381
Did they change the sound at all, or just the fit?
Both. They opened up a lot when I swapped them out. I thought at the time that those hybrid Sony tips kind of muffled them a bit. It's been a bit now, I may throw on the Sony's again and see the differences. I am also not a fan of foam tips, which was another driving reason for swapping them. @erockg is running EPros on his, he might be able to provide some additional insight as those are a bit easier/cheaper to get ahold of over the Finals (Hong Kong)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #39,952 of 62,381
The more I start to use these MTW2, the more I start to like them. Their shells are considerably more comfortable in my ears, getting a seal is nigh effortless, and they have been overall very tonally pleasing.

ANC does feel like an afterthought. Sennheiser seems to rely more on passive isolation. That being said, passive isolation is great for a TWS. A HearThrough I can actually use is a major plus, though.

But it does bum me out that these are terribly bland when used as a mono (single-ear) set for music listening. All the tuning magic relies on a good center image. Get that (which means your tips NEED to seal well) and you're off to the races.

These also seem to be a size M tip for me, even though those initially didn't feel like a winner. I did try to use a L tip in my right ear, which seals...too well, to the point where I get suction on the tip. That'd be great if the bud itself wasn't a hair too shallow in my right ear compared to my left, throwing my CDO (that's OCD in alphabetical order, as it should be) completely haywire. Putting the M back on and understanding now that these like a medium-depth seal have been the winning ticket.

As with all Senns, tuning magic all seems to be in the midrange. They're doing some fancy psychoacoustic trickery to keep vocals as glued to the center stage as these get. Sadly, there's too much midrange and the end result is an overall disconnection with the physicality of things (meaning kicks and quick transients don't sound "real"). It's not quite a wooliness, but it's definitely not a magnifying glass for your tracks.

What I like, though, is I'm effectively hearing more of the technicalities I wanted in the CX400BT running abundantly here. HEST has some part to play in that and some of the magic disappears when I switch HEST off, but it still manages to sound more confident on basslines (from the instrument, not the synth) than most of what I've heard. If you particularly love to listen to bassists in a track or things that lend themselves well to having both a broad sense of space and intimate vocals, the MTW2 are a real treat. That EQ'd NFP is a force to be reckoned with, though, and probably reminds my top contender for best SQ in a TWS, barring the use of adapters.

Here's an example of the type of track I'm suggesting:

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #39,953 of 62,381

Incidentally, the ANC of the Sony is a bit better than that of the Technics. I briefly owned the XM3 when it first came out, and I have to say that Sony has come a long way.

My only quibbles thus far:
- I'd love more than 3 sizes of eartips. The L is just a tad too large and the M is just a tad too small. Damn these Goldilocks ears
- Like the Technics (and most other TWS earbuds) the staging is pretty intimate. I'd like some more depth to the soundstage and better layering and separation. From memory, my dearly departed Nuarl N6 Pro had better imaging in that regard.
Doh! Now you got me interested in the WF-1000XM4 again!!!!

As soon as I can get a pair for $200Cad I will give them a try :wink:. Unfortunately the best deal in Canada has been $350cad. So suspect it will be this time next year before that might happen.

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #39,954 of 62,381
Doh! Now you got me interested in the WF-1000XM4 again!!!!

As soon as I can get a pair for $200Cad I will give them a try :wink:. Unfortunately the best deal in Canada has been $350cad. So suspect it will be this time next year before that might happen.
I saw the white ones for $320 on Amazon for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. I was a bit disappointed to read they have narrow sound stage the sort of cramped and in your face but maybe someone can clarify that 😀

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #39,955 of 62,381
I saw those whites too! LOL. I was tempted I won't lie. But that's still $120 more than what I paid for the AZ60. And while the Sony have a few bells that the AZ60 does not have the AZ60 has multi-point which did want and I do like having all the controls built in to them.

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #39,956 of 62,381
Got those and they actually sound ok. Still feel them when lying sideways on my pillow though.
Wish battery was better.
Wonder if foam esrtups would be better.
I usually set them to 90 mins of rain but they do run out or stop before morning. I only get annoyed if I wake up in the middle of the night (which happens often lately). Haven't had any issues with side-sleeping. They're so small I don't know if they even make tips for them. Maybe Comply?

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #39,957 of 62,381
Hey @darveniza what is your verdict here? Should I check out the ATH-CKS50TW or do you think they'll disappoint if I have my B&O EQs? Thanks for any new update!
Sorry , work has kept me super busy. ATH is boomy and a bit darker when compared to EQ. Apps are similar. Portability goes to EQ but I think the controls may be easier on ATH

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #39,958 of 62,381
The Technics sounds more exciting than the Sony and Samsung, more treble and bigger bass, I would say the Technics has a more consumer friendly sound. The Technics also has all controls available on buds. The accoustune tips makes the mids and highs sound drier and faster and cuts the smoothens the bass. The Sony is smoother and more refined and is more suitable for prolonged listening, but can't have all controls. The Samsung is well balanced and the bigger driver produces bass that can be felt.

By bigger bass you mean?
My experience with Sony is it is a warmer more midbass sound.
Technics to me seems to have more space and air with tighter but less mid bass bit better sub bass.

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #39,959 of 62,381
By bigger bass you mean?
My experience with Sony is it is a warmer more midbass sound.
Technics to me seems to have more space and air with tighter but less mid bass bit better sub bass.
I wanted to say boomy but it's not exactly right since it's not overwhelming such that it covers everything else. Maybe impactful sub bass would be a better term. The Sony has a more mid bass sound, I think it's due its smaller driver as compared to the Technics and Samsung, so the Sony gives an illusion of bass but I don't actually feel it like on the Technics and Samsung. The Technics sound more airy but less "spatial", the sound is mainly concentrated within the head. Sony has the most "spatial" soundstage while the Samsung is somewhere in-between (more left right and less centre back).

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #39,960 of 62,381
When you Samsung are you referring the GBuds Pro? If so I have those and can A/B them and the AZ60.

I quite like the Buds Pro as well. Just wish they had better ANC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back