Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 6, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #39,931 of 63,207
Thought about it. They only had two colors (pink and black) I didn't want early on and then forgot about them.
I remember reading about them a while back, but they fell off the radar. I don't have any experience with Urbanista.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #39,932 of 63,207
Still curious with the flat fit for the wind out there this winter and hat and hoodies and such in use. Doesn't stick out nearly at all and no need to activate any ambient or anything. I am mostly a side sleeper as well:)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #39,933 of 63,207
Still curious with the flat fit for the wind out there this winter and hat and hoodies and such in use. Doesn't stick out nearly at all and no need to activate any ambient or anything. I am mostly a side sleeper as well:)
Same here. The Comfobuds Z have been a godsend with my loud family. I may take a shot at the Lisbon for a backup. 40 plus 10% back with Rakuten.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #39,934 of 63,207
Couldn't help myself. Instead of constantly wondering if the claims of the CX400BT and MTW2 being identical in SQ were founded in anything...
PXL_20211206_212158750~2.jpg

...I got a pair to find out for myself lol. Had a few minutes to get them in the ears for general fit before it needed a FW update (ver 4.13 to 4.14), which took long enough to require a season recap once it was complete. Seriously, guys, there's no reason for a 45-minute update these days.

But now it's time to give these some serious listening. I have a feeling that having the MTW2's High End Sound Tuning enabled will make them pretty different pairs from the CX400BT. Guess we'll see.

I’m very curious if they are indeed the same. This claim was also made by a local store I go to. On their site they the said they are identical but the MTW2 offer you ANC and Ambient.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #39,935 of 63,207
I’m very curious if they are indeed the same. This claim was also made by a local store I go to. On their site they the said they are identical but the MTW2 offer you ANC and Ambient.
My understanding is the driver is shared, but the MTW2's High End Sound Tuning (just going to call it HEST from now on) is supposed to emulate certain tuning features of the IE800, so there's a little extra DSP-ery going on.

What I will say is, in both of the MTW2's sound modes, I think I still prefer the way kicks and short transients are represented on other pairs, even the CX400BT. While there is a lot of bass here, you can tell staging and vocals were the priority choices in tuning. Because of that, I don't think these are a very good pair to only wear with one bud in; they end up sounding bloated, too warm, and fairly detail-less.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #39,936 of 63,207
Of course, you might want to try the Denon for the sound but they are not feature rich and the word on them is the ANC is not really very effective. Sounds like the AZ60 is better for sound and ANC. Denon does seem to have a bigger stage but other things are not quite as good.
You are right, should have listened to you :D I would say they are a step down from the AirPodsPro (using EPro tips).
Pros -
They fit nice, touch controls are pretty sensitive, fit in case well. Mics are pretty good compared to some others while on calls. BT connection has been rock solid
Cons-
ANC/Transparency is really cooky sounding for sure. Volume level is below par especially on calls (needed max on calls).

Glad I set my expectations low. They are going back to their birthplace for sure.

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #39,937 of 63,207
You are right, should have listened to you :D I would say they are a step down from the AirPodsPro (using EPro tips).
Pros -
They fit nice, touch controls are pretty sensitive, fit in case well. Mics are pretty good compared to some others while on calls. BT connection has been rock solid
Cons-
ANC/Transparency is really cooky sounding for sure. Volume level is below par especially on calls (needed max on calls).

Glad I set my expectations low. They are going back to their birthplace for sure.
Well sometimes you don't know until you try. :)

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #39,938 of 63,207
Pros -
Cons-

You took one for the team and it's the effort that counts and we thank you for that :D

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #39,939 of 63,207
It's been awhile since I've been in this thread, but I recently lost the right bud of my Nuarl N6 Pros on a flight thanks to an errant mask strap. I really loved those headphones but I figured I'd use this as an opportunity dip my toes back into the market to see what has improved in the past couple years since I settled on the Nuarls as my only TWS set. So far I have ordered the Technics AZ60, Sony XM4 and Nuarl N6 Pro 2.

The Technics AZ60 just arrived today and so far I'm enjoying them quite a bit, but they're not perfect. They sounded markedly worse over AAC vs LDAC (it's really noticeable) but LDAC definitely hoovers up battery life when you have ANC active. This is out of my Pixel 6 Pro phone. I've been listening for prob 2.5 hours and they're comfortable to fit and isolate decently with ANC.

In terms of sound:

PROS: Really black background to the point where I couldn't detect a noisefloor. Mids and upper bass are rich and smooth with good separation and clarity. Customizable EQ (the app is pretty good!). ANC seems to do good work (although I haven't had too much experience with ANC on TWS). Overall, it's a very pleasing sound that walks the line between detail and richness well, but doesn't grate on poorer recordings.

CONS: Bass isn't the tightest (it's full but slightly bloomy and not as articulate as the best I've heard) and also the treble is uneven. There's a bit of a frequency spike somewhere in the mids that emphasizes sibilance and cymbals can be a bit lacking in harmonic ring and texture, resulting in a papery quality. This contributes to a "clicky" quality to snare drum hits despite my best attempt to dial it out EQ. The EQ is only 5 bands and mostly does an OK job, but it can't make the treble and mid transition more even.

Other notes: Like most earbuds in this space, everything is very "up-front" and intimate in terms of imaging. I wish there was more depth, but the imaging is still decent.

Here's where I ended up on the EQ:

Screenshot_20211206-165416.png
Ya, as the honeymoon wanes I am noticing the bass is just a bit boomy making rhythm a bit off. It works amazingly well for other instruments that fall into the bass range but rhythm definitely suffers. Still enjoying my pair as a lot of my music works extremely well with these.

I do find if I turn down the 315 band a smidge it helps reduce some of the boominess though. I also found it kind of pleasing to up the 100 band just a smidge in regards to oomph. Actually I noticed the treble+ and dynamic EQ's both were the same except in the bass and I modeled the 3 upper bands off of their graph and then just tweaked the bass bands after that.

I also have continued using them with no EQ when I am not playing around with the EQ to see if I can get used to the signature Technics was driving for.

Just fired these up with AAC and will see how long the battery lasts using that plus ANC. Definite drop in sound quality using AAC, but OK for working as I am not paying attention to the music as much anyway, plus it will allow me to used multi-point which was one of the reasons I bought the AZ60...

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #39,940 of 63,207
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #39,941 of 63,207
Yeah I get it. My tinnitus is better but now I have an unbearable popping sound in one ear. So I’m looking for ways to mask it. Hoping transparency with a fan along with some background sounds will do the job. I tried the Bose sleepbuds but The occlusion effect makes the pop more evident. I did better with my Gemini on transparency but they are too big.
These buds mentioned allow you to have 6 nature sounds on them out of 30 in the app. You can have various forms of wind rain ocean sounds etc so no need for fan noises. Plus the sounds can work on a timer.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #39,942 of 63,207
My current top tws buds (tied) are the Sony wf-1000xm4 (with original Sony hybrid tips) and Samsung buds pro (with grey spinfit cp100 tips). The Sony has a very smooth and organic sound. The Samsung buds pro has a brighter and engaging sound signature without going overboard. Technics AZ60 (with accoustune aet0u tips) comes close but I prefer it to have a little less bass slam.

How would you compare the Technics to Sony and Samsung? How did the Acoustune tips change sounds from stock?

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #39,943 of 63,207
One thing is for sure. LDAP drains the battery on the AZ60! I have been listening to music for a little over 2 hours and the battery is down to 41% on the right ear and 44% on the left and that listening at around 25% volume. Will let it run until one bud dies. Then see what the life is with AAC. This is with ANC enabled BTW.

Edit: right around 5hrs before the batteries died.

I had half that drain with note 20 ultra.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #39,944 of 63,207
I do find if I turn down the 315 band a smidge it helps reduce some of the boominess though. I also found it kind of pleasing to up the 100 band just a smidge in regards to oomph. Actually I noticed the treble+ and dynamic EQ's both were the same except in the bass and I modeled the 3 upper bands off of their graph and then just tweaked the bass bands after that.

That's smart thinking. I'll take a look at both of those. It's really not the bass that bothers me so much as the mids into the treble. There's this emphasis there that really throws off the timbre for me for some reason. Other than that I think these are really nice sounding headphones. I don't want to underemphasize that fact.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #39,945 of 63,207
That's smart thinking. I'll take a look at both of those. It's really not the bass that bothers me so much as the mids into the treble. There's this emphasis there that really throws off the timbre for me for some reason. Other than that I think these are really nice sounding headphones. I don't want to underemphasize that fact.
I actually dipped the 2md highest band a bit to soften treble a touch. I also have Dolby Atmos enabled and find bass is very good. It is tight and deep just not as overwhelming the mids as so.e more bass heavy buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back