Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 2, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #36,886 of 62,483
Also, Samsung sends the latex sleeves for the live if you contwxt them. But not everyone likes them enough to go through the extra step
Wasn't aware there were sleeves, can they stay on for charging ?

Sep 2, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #36,887 of 62,483
Sep 2, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #36,888 of 62,483
A little sunshine story from my Airpods Pro :)

Started to get yellow fit test again, bass totally gone with ANC set to off, on my 3rd set of APP. (manufactured 01/21)
Also the right mic were very bad compared to the left. People I talked to complained, and I also noticed it when using the transparency mode.

Read some tips and tricks on the internet, bought a package of UHU Patafix, and started to clean all meshes.
Wow! Fit test is green again, bass is back and the right mic is just as good as the left (confirmed with the voice memo app)

Thanks again, UHU Patafix! :)

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #36,889 of 62,483
Wasn't aware there were sleeves, can they stay on for charging ?
You can absolutely keep sleeves on. They ha w cutouts made for them to stay on. Apparently there are also 3rd party ones on Amazon as well.
Screenshot_20210902-060909_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #36,890 of 62,483
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #36,891 of 62,483
Yes I suppose that would be an option but not terribly convenient and still the problem of slipping with the sweat. I'll go back to the X12 and remove the foam sleeves for charging (or go looking for the rubber ones as they're probably stronger for on/off action).
Might be worth looking at the Pixel Buds A series too, I got my pair today and I haven't been for a run but from walking (and jogging up the stairs as a quick test) around the house there seems to be no thud at all because they've got a "spatial vent" in them. They're also in ears with a fin so should be a lot more stable, they seem to let a reaosnable amount of outside noise in too.

Sound wise they seem pretty decent, quite a balanced sound with rolled off bass which is always a surprise in a consumer facing earbud, so maybe not the best for high energy running music, although there is a bass boost option which seems to work well, I'd probably turn this on if I was listening to anything bass heavy but I mostly listen to rock/metal and they sound nice with it off. I paid £80 for them so they're in a bit of a weird middle ground where they're not quite budget but they're not massively expensive either.

Rtings review with some graphs: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/google/pixel-buds-a-series-truly-wireless

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #36,893 of 62,483
I've noticed some scepticism, but still, hopefully it will be a big improvement regarding the sound quality on many coming wireless headphones:

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/relea...th-lossless-audio-technology-snapdragon-sound

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/features/snapdragon-sound

Then again, I've seen several blindtests on very high end speakers and with experienced "audiophiles" trying to determine if they are listening to higher or lower bitrate-versions of the same songs, the results have not been very good in the tests I've seen. All were beforehand convinced they would hear a clear difference and be able to decide which is which with ease. Not so much after. The quality of the recording is way more important than bitrate, in my opinion and with my ears. Still, I'll get Spotify HiFi the day it comes out, and probably a pair of wireless headphones with Qualcomm "lossless".

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #36,894 of 62,483
Ok....So you actually prefer the smooth sound of the Sony? See, a lot of people keep saying Sony lacks detail, but I disagree. It's a smooth more rolled off upper register, but it's still there. Reminds me of their house sound. I had zx507 DAP. Smooth overall sound which I liked, but wanted something more powerful. Anyway, xm4 is just soothing to my ears. I'm now using xelastec tips, and I just nestle in at work, or on the street, and enjoy many different genres.
Honestly XM4 are a bit lacking in the treble department, but not as much as many people complain about, probably because of the tuning. I'm using xelastec too, they make the highs somehow a smidge more refined and clear. Adding also some eq with wavelet, not much, in a 4.5db range.
In my opinion it's crucial to have enough space in the concha in order to find the best insertion and rotation, in my case a shallower fit gives the best results.
I'm using LDAC and no ANC (if I am in a not noisy enviroment).

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #36,895 of 62,483
So I was finally able to do a hard running session with the Galaxy Buds Live and it was a...bust ! Not only do they start moving around too much when the sweat builds up but where they really "fall apart" is that when you readjust them there's a 99% chance to trigger a "tap" so the music stops. The Sabbat X12s move a bit too when used without the foams but at least they can be readjusted without stopping the music. So they're going back.

On the other hand I finally got an Aftershokz "bone-conduction" headset (mostly because I'm doing more riding now), the "cheap" OpenMove and while the SQ is obviously not their focus (not as bad as I thought it would be though) they serve their purpose and are even better at not blocking outside noise as "earbud" designs, no surprise there.

I'm intrigued by the upgraded L2Ps, I still use mine a lot for "critical" listening. I wonder if they finally managed to get rid of the hiss that remained even on the latest (v3 ?) "first" version.
And this is why I loved the Live’s feature of turning off the buttons in the app. I think those were the first I had that offered that. I could readjust all I wanted, until my sweat killed one …

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #36,896 of 62,483
Thanks man, I appreciate that.
I sure hope they fix those hiccups.
Maybe I'm expecting a bit too much from the MT but was hoping the sound quality will amaze me and while the sound is good, I have 5 pairs of TWS in front of me and I'm not reaching out to the MT for whatever reasons.
You can always return them if you don't use them. Wait until low energy Bluetooth hopefully next year.

I tried the epro tips. They sound almost the same as MT oem, but they have much better grip and don't slip out. Makes the earwings unnecessary imo. I was already using the MT without the wings but they used to slip out sometimes. No more slippage! I do think that bass has tempered down a bit so eq a tiny bit. There is definitely better isolation.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #36,899 of 62,483
@miserybeforethemusic
You can always return them if you don't use them. Wait until low energy Bluetooth hopefully next year.

I tried the epro tips. They sound almost the same as MT oem, but they have much better grip and don't slip out. Makes the earwings unnecessary imo. I was already using the MT without the wings but they used to slip out sometimes. No more slippage! I do think that bass has tempered down a bit so eq a tiny bit. There is definitely better isolation.

I may need to go that route.
Unfortunately another gremlin showed up today.
I took them out of the case and they won't pair automatically, second time they paired but got disconnected after a few seconds, third time they paired but 10 mins in transparency mode got turned off by itself. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back