Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 1, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #36,871 of 62,084
Thanks for the tips!
looking forward to see your eq and will give it a try.
The call quality is on regular calls, not on Zoom.
Yes, for volume goes down by itself.
I thought I was going crazy so luckily you mentioned that. On 3 different occasions and I took them out of the case and the moment the music started the volume decreased by itself. I cancelled the touch controls for now through the app to see if it makes any difference.
equalizer.JPG

After the July firmware update, I brought down the treble/mids peaks a bit. CA altered the signature quite a bit between January and July for the better.

I have the ePro large now so I expect to change the equalizer over the next few days. Not sure yet.

I'm not too happy about the volume issue, but I must live with it. I'm waiting until next summer to upgrade -- hopefully to something from the next generation. This is good enough until then, especially for $150. Upgrade that would be somewhat significant would be the Gemini, but that is more than double the price for the same generation. I would rather wait for something more compelling from the next generation.

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #36,873 of 62,084
Samsung via eBay has Samsung Galaxy Buds Live Wireless Headset (Certified Refurbished) on sale for $59.50 when you apply promo code SAVE15LABORDAY (apply in cart). Shipping is free. Both Mystic bronze and white are available. A 2 year Allstate comprehensive warranty is also included with a purchase.
Thanks. Got black Galaxy Buds + (not the Live) for $63 shipped. Do I need them? Of course not. Have the Status Between Pro, CA melomania 1+ and UE Fit arriving soon. But with discounts and Indiegogo wound up paying about $450 for all 4 pair. Not to shabby. Variety is good!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #36,874 of 62,084

After the July firmware update, I brought down the treble/mids peaks a bit. CA altered the signature quite a bit between January and July for the better.

I have the ePro large now so I expect to change the equalizer over the next few days. Not sure yet.

I'm not too happy about the volume issue, but I must live with it. I'm waiting until next summer to upgrade -- hopefully to something from the next generation. This is good enough until then, especially for $150. Upgrade that would be somewhat significant would be the Gemini, but that is more than double the price for the same generation. I would rather wait for something more compelling from the next generation.
Thanks man, I appreciate that.
I sure hope they fix those hiccups.
Maybe I'm expecting a bit too much from the MT but was hoping the sound quality will amaze me and while the sound is good, I have 5 pairs of TWS in front of me and I'm not reaching out to the MT for whatever reasons.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #36,875 of 62,084
Just a quick comment about the Devialet. I have owned the B&W I7, and the Sony XM3s and 4. I had been using the AirPod pros for calls and audiobooks due to the superior ANC and solid user experience. Now, the Devialets have replaced the Airpods as my always carry IEMs. IMHO, the sound is comparable to the i7s, significantly better to me than the Sonys, and the phone calls and connectivity are very very good. I am not a bass head, but the depth and timber of the bass of the Devialets is very impressive. The Sonys were technically excellent, but the fit and sound quality tipped the balance against keeping them. I just had too many connectivity/dropping issues with the i7s.
Hear a lot about Gemini and i7. It's so hard. I have galaxy buds pro (ok) good for movies/gaming on Samsung. Noble Falcon Pro (technically very good), and Xm4 (very musical). For me and my hearing I put on the Falcon Pro, and always end up switching back to the Sony because they are so much smoother and more to my liking. Don't want to spend another $400 on a tws, but I'm curious about it and Gemini, but I already have a $200 (buds pro) and a $320 (Falcon pro) that I don't use regularly

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #36,876 of 62,084
I'm curious too, same thoughts, I returned Pi7 because xm4 were smoother and more complete. Though I'm not going to try anything else unless it's less bulky, have hires codecs and bigger drivers, full touch controls and an easy to access pause/ambient-mode function.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #36,877 of 62,084
I'm curious too, same thoughts, I returned Pi7 because xm4 were smoother and more complete. Though I'm not going to try anything else unless it's less bulky, have hires codecs and bigger drivers, full touch controls and an easy to access pause/ambient-mode function.
Ok....So you actually prefer the smooth sound of the Sony? See, a lot of people keep saying Sony lacks detail, but I disagree. It's a smooth more rolled off upper register, but it's still there. Reminds me of their house sound. I had zx507 DAP. Smooth overall sound which I liked, but wanted something more powerful. Anyway, xm4 is just soothing to my ears. I'm now using xelastec tips, and I just nestle in at work, or on the street, and enjoy many different genres.

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #36,878 of 62,084
So I was finally able to do a hard running session with the Galaxy Buds Live and it was a...bust ! Not only do they start moving around too much when the sweat builds up but where they really "fall apart" is that when you readjust them there's a 99% chance to trigger a "tap" so the music stops. The Sabbat X12s move a bit too when used without the foams but at least they can be readjusted without stopping the music. So they're going back.

On the other hand I finally got an Aftershokz "bone-conduction" headset (mostly because I'm doing more riding now), the "cheap" OpenMove and while the SQ is obviously not their focus (not as bad as I thought it would be though) they serve their purpose and are even better at not blocking outside noise as "earbud" designs, no surprise there.

I'm intrigued by the upgraded L2Ps, I still use mine a lot for "critical" listening. I wonder if they finally managed to get rid of the hiss that remained even on the latest (v3 ?) "first" version.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #36,879 of 62,084
when you readjust them there's a 99% chance to trigger a "tap" so the music stops.

it's so much a problem to me too that i ended up turning the touch control off entirely.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #36,880 of 62,084
Yes I suppose that would be an option but not terribly convenient and still the problem of slipping with the sweat. I'll go back to the X12 and remove the foam sleeves for charging (or go looking for the rubber ones as they're probably stronger for on/off action).

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #36,881 of 62,084
So I was finally able to do a hard running session with the Galaxy Buds Live and it was a...bust ! Not only do they start moving around too much when the sweat builds up but where they really "fall apart" is that when you readjust them there's a 99% chance to trigger a "tap" so the music stops. The Sabbat X12s move a bit too when used without the foams but at least they can be readjusted without stopping the music. So they're going back.

On the other hand I finally got an Aftershokz "bone-conduction" headset (mostly because I'm doing more riding now), the "cheap" OpenMove and while the SQ is obviously not their focus (not as bad as I thought it would be though) they serve their purpose and are even better at not blocking outside noise as "earbud" designs, no surprise there.

I'm intrigued by the upgraded L2Ps, I still use mine a lot for "critical" listening. I wonder if they finally managed to get rid of the hiss that remained even on the latest (v3 ?) "first" version.
Sorry to hear. We all have different shaped ears, as the live font move at all in mine, in just a bit of an audio sbob and wanted better sq, lol. Running with Noble Falcon Pro, but gonna try my Sony xm4 now that I have xelastec ear tips

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #36,882 of 62,084
Yes I suppose that would be an option but not terribly convenient and still the problem of slipping with the sweat. I'll go back to the X12 and remove the foam sleeves for charging (or go looking for the rubber ones as they're probably stronger for on/off action).
Also, Samsung sends the latex sleeves for the live if you contwxt them. But not everyone likes them enough to go through the extra step

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #36,883 of 62,084
Interesting. I didn't find the bass to be especially impactful first time around - the lower frequencies I listed as fast, tight and punchy, but the mid-bass sounded slightly congested on more complex tracks. Just re-listened to them with the Tanchjim Bass and Treble Enhancement tips and the bass is much heavier than I remember with both, maybe I used the wrong tracks to test but you're right, they definitely need to be EQ'd slightly.
It definitely depends on what you're listening to. If you're listening to something that's more acoustic or low-key it's just going to show itself a bit of extra warmth, but if you listen to something that has a bunch of bass it's going to really bludgeon you with that bass.

I also feel like it's very depending on fit and tips, too. With the included tips they sounded so bass-y that I was originally wondering how I was even going to listen to them, but with the Comply TrueGrips the bass tightens up a bit even though it's definitely a bit too rumbly and is lacking a bit in timing and speed. If I wasn't on iOS i would definitely EQ these but they work with the stock tuning for me too even if the bass can detract a bit from the overall sound.
Also yeah, I feel like these are very sensitive to fit as well. If I don't roll the foam tips properly before I put them in it's going to have bass overload, if I push them too far in... also too much bass. If I hit that one point in between it's definitely a lot better.

I've gotten very used to the sound and I've started listening to these way more than the XM4's now because these just sound... honestly just a lot clearer to me. They're not better in all aspects but the Sony's just don't sound good to me. There's nothing I inherently dislike about the Sony's and they're obviously better from a usability and utility perspective, i'm just not wowed by anything in the sound and it really falls apart if you push the volume up over 70-ish percent. (trying to sell them but i'm not getting any bites at all on my ad) Plus these fit my ears a lot better and are more comfortable.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #36,884 of 62,084
Ok....So you actually prefer the smooth sound of the Sony? See, a lot of people keep saying Sony lacks detail, but I disagree. It's a smooth more rolled off upper register, but it's still there. Reminds me of their house sound. I had zx507 DAP. Smooth overall sound which I liked, but wanted something more powerful. Anyway, xm4 is just soothing to my ears. I'm now using xelastec tips, and I just nestle in at work, or on the street, and enjoy many different genres.
Now, I'm not OP but I feel like there's something about the Sony's and the fit that really is a make or break thing.
I feel like they actually fit my ears quite well if we're talking the feeling in the ears, but they don't sit flush in my ears even though I feel like the eartips are firmly in place in my ears, I just can't get them to sound anywhere near what I enjoy the most.

I think it boils down to a couple of things overall why they're a bit polarizing:

1) The fit, like I mentioned earlier, combined with having to find the perfect tips to get the most of them.

2) People who listen to their music with no regard for ear health and volume restrictions - Because they sound really bad to me over 70%, the last 30% of volume honestly don't sound louder to me, it's like every click of the volume up button just makes it sound more and more bloated and congested in the mids and seemingly making the treble even more rolled off. So if somebody immediately blasts up the music to 70% will probably just think they're pretty bad.
Not basing that on anything other than my experience, but I know that the SQ changes A LOT after 70%-ish and I prefer being around 70-80% if i'm not in a super quiet environment. (don't need to know that I should lower the volume lol).

3) People who haven't even heard them but just seen a frequency graph and thinking that they're "trash" because they do have some treble roll-off with EQ off.

I see a lot of people saying that they're just so good because they make you really "feel" your music. I'm not one who just wants an analytical sound at all, but the XM4's actually leave me completely cold because it's just not delivering enough clarity/details or punch to really move me, nothing sticks out but they're smooth and easy-listened, sure.

They're very easy to use in the long run and supreme as a TWS for everything but the sound imho, but once again that's just my opinion.
Also i'm on AAC so that might also be why i'm not feeling like I enjoy them, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference either even if it's noticeable.
I used to love the wired Sony earbuds I bought when I was younger but maybe I just don't enjoy their "house sound" anymore? I don't know.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #36,885 of 62,084
Hold on a second :) ...
1630516691759.png
"Qualcomm is greatly improving the data rate over its existing aptX (352kbps) and aptX HD (576kbps) codecs. In fact, it can even exceed Sony LDAC’s 990kbps data rate. Although, sustaining this high bandwidth is the key problem and one that Qualcomm says it has addressed thanks to end-to-end control and optimization of its radio stack via its Snapdragon Sound ecosystem. As such, Qualcomm notes Snapdragon Sound is a requirement for sustainable aptX Lossless and that it intends for all branded products to support the new codec going forward. Sadly, the new hardware requirements mean existing products are unlikely to be backwards compatible."

A good news bad news sort of thing.

I bought into this “halfway there” tech concept when Minidisc was a thing with Atrac compression (as this is similar sounding). I quit with the move to MDLP.

This, again, sounds to me like halfway through to BTLEAudio/LC3 (or whatever will allow us to listen to 44.1, or more, on buds, wirelessly).

Sorry for being kind of a skeptic but I’m not buying it. With my current mindset I’m not willing to fund more “halfway there” developments.

Maybe I’m just worried with allocating the available funds somewhere else. I’m also happy with my current wired and wireless options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back