Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 22, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #35,401 of 62,436
From what I gathered is that the Nobles get pretty loud. My beats pros in ear get loud enough to drown out all the noise there. I'm kind of leaning to getting the Sonys tomorrow and giving them a try.

i tried my ANC TWS in the gym when there's a zumba class's subwoofer-y music blasting away.
it's surprising at the difference of volume needed to be audibly enjoyable and drown the background sound...with ANC on i can turn down the volume quite a lot compared to when i toggle the ANC off. after that i would not consider using just a regular passive isolation for any situation with similar background noise level.

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #35,402 of 62,436
Well if just turning up the volume was a great answer we might not have/need ANC but it really isn't so good for your ears. :)
It's too late for that "isn't too great for your ears" lol. Years of loud music already messed me up.

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #35,403 of 62,436
Awesome! I haven't commuted in so long, I forgot commutes are the perfect use case for that type of sound signature! Same would apply to the stuff everyone complains about being V-shaped. Take that same pair on a metro and you'd be far more likely to call it "balanced" because of the ambient noise.

Well thank goodness you were able to get them back. That sounds like it would have been heartbreaking.
Yeah, you're right actually, for commuting, more bass does seem to cut through the really loud train rumbling. But also, these create a great seal quite deep in my ears.

Yes, I was reaching around for the long metal Creative case in my camera bag and was like "Damn, they're not here!" I thought maybe I'd dragged the case out of the bag accidentally without knowing while I was changing lenses and it's likely dropped onto a pavement and some lucky person just got free TWS. They cost me £64 which is about $89. I sighed and resigned myself to having to re-purchase them.

Then I thought, maybe there's a chance I left them in a new camera bag I'd tried in a camera shop earlier, as I'd transferred all my camera gear from my old bag into the new bag just to test the weight and comfort. I didn't buy the bag in the end. Anyway, I phoned them and asked if anything was left in the bag. He went and checked and came back to the phone and said "I found something that looks like a charger?" I said "Does it have Creative printed on it?" And he said it did. Phew!! :relaxed: The shop was about to close in just under ten minutes so I legged it and managed to get there with 5 minutes to spare and retrieved the buds. Very relieved with a happy ending. :D

Do they give you that sound you are looking for to hear the drums? For me they do very nicely in that realm. Now that you have them, listen to some Rush (anything from) "Moving Pictures" or "2112", and you should enjoy the absolute magic that is Neal Peart (IMO). Congratz!
samandhi, yeah, they definitely do actually. I really enjoy the way the drums sound on these. I use these tips, they're the largest size that came with the buds. Looking at them I didn't think they'd produce much bottom end, but they really do.
20210722-192743.jpg

I haven't gone back and listened to my ibasso for a while so it'll be interesting to compare again. But the Creative overall sound is so full and solid and smooth. Has similarities to me of my Sennheiser 580. Yes, Neil Peart, amazing player. I shall check out those records! :)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #35,404 of 62,436
@wazzupi - Got a Phiaton email today and remembered they did decent wired ANC models and might still have at least one...
https://phiaton.com/collections/noise-cancelling/products/ps-202-nc
I actually bought a pair of akg k391 NC for 24 bucks(Amazon) they look brand new in box(states new). And work well. They sound pretty good too. Supposedly 39 hours of battery but charge time is 5.5 hours xD but you can use them while they charge. I wonder if these phiaton would sound better.

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #35,405 of 62,436
I'm really stuck in a pickle here. Can't decide between the X4, Falcon Pro, pi7. I'm going to finally pull the trigger tomorrow and retire my beats pro I used at the gym for like 2 years straight. Sq and gain are most important to me. I've missed a lot of pages so does anyone have any input?
Only one (I own is) the Falcon Pro, but I think you'll have plenty of gain to use and the EQ should help combat peaks as you move up the F-M curve. Even though they don't have a wing of any sort, they stay in place just fine, but I'm not sure how that'd hold up over time and as you start to sweat.

Is the Melomania Touch out of contention? You'll get more passive isolation than you reasonably need with the right tip choice and, at least in my book, it's easier to shrug off losing a $120 pair of TWS to a $300 after rigorous use. Tonally, I think those will make you happier anyway. Otherwise, I think you'd be good with the Pro, but you will have to play with EQ for a bit.
Well if just turning up the volume was a great answer we might not have/need ANC but it really isn't so good for your ears. :)
Passive isolation is rock solid on them, too, so you don't really have to crank volume much. To my eyes, I don't see any driver vents, which is probably why things get so quiet once they're on. To be honest, it's the HearThrough that I'm not a big fan of.
Yeah, you're right actually, for commuting, more bass does seem to cut through the really loud train rumbling. But also, these create a great seal quite deep in my ears.

Yes, I was reaching around for the long metal Creative case in my camera bag and was like "Damn, they're not here!" I thought maybe I'd dragged the case out of the bag accidentally without knowing while I was changing lenses and it's likely dropped onto a pavement and some lucky person just got free TWS. They cost me £64 which is about $89. I sighed and resigned myself to having to re-purchase them.

Then I thought, maybe there's a chance I left them in a new camera bag I'd tried in a camera shop earlier, as I'd transferred all my camera gear from my old bag into the new bag just to test the weight and comfort. I didn't buy the bag in the end. Anyway, I phoned them and asked if anything was left in the bag. He went and checked and came back to the phone and said "I found something that looks like a charger?" I said "Does it have Creative printed on it?" And he said it did. Phew!! :relaxed: The shop was about to close in just under ten minutes so I legged it and managed to get there with 5 minutes to spare and retrieved the buds. Very relieved with a happy ending. :D

samandhi, yeah, they definitely do actually. I really enjoy the way the drums sound on these. I use these tips, they're the largest size that came with the buds. Looking at them I didn't think they'd produce much bottom end, but they really do.
20210722-192743.jpg

I haven't gone back and listened to my ibasso for a while so it'll be interesting to compare again. But the Creative overall sound is so full and solid and smooth. Has similarities to me of my Sennheiser 580. Yes, Neil Peart, amazing player. I shall check out those records! :)
That's awesome! I've been pretty happy with Creative's audio gear for its price point. Use the Pebble 2.0 speakers at my desktop because they're one of the few that have present bass, but never overwhelms vocals. Makes for a great diffuse listening experience at the desk.

Edited for syntax 20210723

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #35,406 of 62,436
Only one the Falcon Pro, but I think you'll have plenty of gain to use and the EQ should help combat peaks as you move up the F-M curve. Even though they don't have a wing of any sort, they stay in place just fine, but I'm not sure how that'd hold up over time and as you start to sweat.

Is the Melomania Touch out of contention? You'll get more passive isolation than you reasonably need with the right tip choice and, at least in my book, it's easier to shrug off losing a $120 pair of TWS to a $300 after rigorous use. Tonally, I think those will make you happier anyway. Otherwise, I think you'd be good with the Pro, but you will have to play with EQ for a bit.

Passive isolation is rock solid on them, too, so you don't really have to crank volume much. To my eyes, I don't see any driver vents, which is probably why things get so quiet once they're on. To be honest, it's the HearThrough that I'm not a big fan of.

That's awesome! I've been pretty happy with Creative's audio gear for its price point. Use the Pebble 2.0 speakers at my desktop because they're one of the few that have present bass, but never overwhelms vocals. Makes for a great diffuse listening experience at the desk.
I agree with all of this.

If you are really keen to spend more money, check out the Devialet Gemini $300USD. They sound the best out of everything I have tried (have not tried the PI7) including the XM4. I had multiple technical issues with mine and their battery life is not stellar (but neither is the PI7 for $100 USD more.) I could not justify keeping them with those problems at their price point.

That said, the Melomania Touch are a fantastic all rounder that I have finally settled on as my gym buds at $129USD. I have tested 7 sets at this point (I think) and at the price point, the MT are hard to beat. They are not without their quirks, but for the price I am willing to overlook.

The Moondrop Sparks are a close second for me. Very different sound signature than the MT. More analytical/hifi sounding. Surprisingly great for metal/punk/guitar driven tunes. Unfortunately no app support/EQ/etc. Also the fit is weird, but manages to remain comfortable.

I think the Nuarl N6 Pro 2 is one to keep your eyes on as well. Early reports sound promising.

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #35,408 of 62,436
If I choose to purchase the Falcon pro tomorrow will the sedna xelaxtec fit or do I have to purchase the tws Crystal one? The one made for tws iems.
They fit normal size tips, so XELASTEC should be fine. May need to go a size down, though, as the nozzles are long

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #35,410 of 62,436
this is the combo i am trying to get tin t2s and the trn20 either that or the utws3 not sure yet depending on sound quality. also looking for a real good anc iem as well. those look sick!

Looks like the next version of TWS adapters from Fiio is gonna be released soon'ish. May be worth waiting for. I'm hoping for built in QI charging and an option for straight MMCX plugs (not angled). We will see.

Soon, it may be released in August or September :L3000: :L3000: :L3000:

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #35,411 of 62,436
My plan of not needing to get any more TWS after the N6 Pro 2 hasn't even lasted a week. I now have the Nuarl N10 Pro. I'll put a comparison up when I can.

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #35,412 of 62,436
Looks like the next version of TWS adapters from Fiio is gonna be released soon'ish. May be worth waiting for. I'm hoping for built in QI charging and an option for straight MMCX plugs (not angled). We will see.
QI charging, this can meet you :L3000: :L3000: :L3000:

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 23, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #35,414 of 62,436
0.jpg

Sooo, I picked up my Sennheiser MTW2's that I managed to snag for $135 like I mentioned earlier. Now i'm just thinking... if I should even open these and try them out or just sell them for a bit more than I bought them for (sorry, i'm not trying to be a "scalper" but I could still sell them for a decent price and still make a few bucks on them) and buy the Sony XM4's that I had originally decided to buy?

I feel like the Sennheisers were too good of a deal to pass on here, but I feel like they're probably not all the way what I want from a pair of earbuds. I would really want a pair with better ANC and also earbuds that CAN be bass cannons when I want them to (but not always) without sacrificing details too much. The Sony's seem to be a bit more complete when it comes to that.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #35,415 of 62,436
Well after having some time with the N6 Pro2 I have to say they are the most complete TWS so far. They work 100%. The controls respond right away and I have gotten used to their position. The buttons being toward the front took a few times to get used to. I might have preferred toward the back so the front has more room to adjust using thumb in back and forefinger in front but not an issue. You learn it after a bit. Battery life is good, controls are good, reception/stability is as good as any so far. Comfort is good and fit is good and got easier with time just not like my JVC AE5T where you just push them in and done. Maybe a little pushing the fin in place is needed but fine. Only thing I don't really like is still the ambient volume. Good usually but not great for noisier places. I was mailing out a pair of earphones I sold and when I got to the window I felt the need to take a side out to hear better against the noise from a bunch of other patrons going about their business.

I settled on some firmer very wide bore clear tips that I don't really know. Just in the kit but what they came from beats me:) Still shows they did burn in some. Airier and a bit bigger and the sound did flesh out and tighten up. That these are longer tips and not TWS short styles just confirms the bass has settled down so I am fine using normal tips now and get no bloat on the note effect like out of the box.

Stage and air is a bit bigger and quite good except for the height which, above average, is not as good as the width or even the depth. Good but not quite as impressive as the other two. Would be almost a huge stage with a coupe step up in the height. Still big and roomy and far from cramped. The bass amount is great and satisfying. Tight but capable of great power when called for. It has weight and reach and detail and texture and great imaging and placement. They do that throughout the whole range. Accurate and correct and the weight and 3D nature of all the notes is natural and sounds right. That is about the size of it. Pretty much everything sound right and is done well enough to satisfy and really impress for a TWS. Can certainly compete with some wired stuff. Complete and satisfying. If you want it it has it and done quite well. Note weight and depth, the placement, the detail, the texture, tightness and dynamics. Extension on both ends I am very happy with esp. for TWS but again good for a single dynamic even wired. Can go toe to toe with the DUNU Zen on those fronts. They don't say anything about having a built in amp but they sound like they do. They also take to EQ so I am sure they will satisfy most who decide to buy them. Think being really the third try after the N6 and N6 Pro they really dialed it in just right this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back