Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 18, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #35,311 of 62,573
Well Juturna wrote "I actually even feel like I am hearing a better bass response than I did the first couple of usesIs this purely my brain getting used to it or is it some mechanical thing with the driver units?". He doesn't look like a believer and I think that it's a typical brain burn-in, so I tried to help. Even if iems drivers burn-in have an effect it can't change that much, never documented and never experimented by me.

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #35,312 of 62,573
Well Juturna wrote "I actually even feel like I am hearing a better bass response than I did the first couple of usesIs this purely my brain getting used to it or is it some mechanical thing with the driver units?". He doesn't look like a believer and I think that it's a typical brain burn-in, so I tried to help. Even if iems drivers burn-in have an effect it can't change that much, never documented and never experimented by me.
This is akin to a religious debate…. Best left alone.

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #35,313 of 62,573
I've owned my N6 PRO for a few weeks now and I was happy until yesterday. That's when my hand inadvertently brushed against my right ear and the N6 PRO performed an unplanned mechanical drop test onto my asphalt driveway. The right-side unit was dead; as in no audio, no response to buttons, and most importantly, no charging indicator on the case. So, it's d-e-a-d. :angry:

The height of the drop was around 1.5 m ("ear level"). A google search shows absolutely nothing on shock and vibration standards for IEMs, or headphones for that matter. I did find a random article (5 Top True Wireless Earbuds That Don’t Break Easily) which was very clear that earbuds are expected to withstand drops from ear level. So, I did not abuse anything and expect this to be covered as a defective unit.

I'm within Amazon's 30-day return policy "for any reason" and they're going back tomorrow. A replacement will arrive the day after.

Of course, audio performance is top priority. However, there are other factors which can influence a purchase decision - water resistance comes to mind. Unless I missed it, I don't see any information in this forum or elsewhere that discusses engineering specifications for "shock and vibration" standards. Does anyone have a good reference?

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #35,314 of 62,573
I think what people are trying to say is that passing your beliefs off as fact can easily offend many people here. The best thing to do when talking about burn-in, or anything considered religious for audiophiles, is to let them know that you don't know if it is true or not, but your belief is that.....

Because both sides of the camp can come up with compelling arguments for their side and argument.

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #35,315 of 62,573
I personally have no gripes with what you said, and you were right (in the way you interpreted what I wrote). I know that i've read so much about it not being something that physically changes the sound of the earbuds but rather something you experience yourself through almost "conditioning" your brain and therefore your ears, to a new sound signature. But yes, if it's too much of a controversial subject, we should just let it rest.

However, I realized why they sounded better to me at some times but worse at others. For some reason these earbuds sound way better with the ANC turned on rather than off, and it really does change how I perceive the sound. My other earbuds are the exact opposite, ANC degrades the sound by quite a bit! Or I mean, it's possible that ANC degrades the sound here too, however it's not perceivable to my ears and they sound a lot more "full". So I think I just tried to keep them at ANC off because I thought they would for sure sound better like that, and since the ANC isn't particularly good I just figured it was going to be better that way... but nope.

Edit: Nope, I quit. They sound good now with ANC off. Why the hell did they sound so tinny and horrible when I was on my way into town with zero bass and now they sound so damn good when i'm sitting at home? Don't really get it.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #35,316 of 62,573
Edit: Nope, I quit. They sound good now with ANC off. Why the hell did they sound so tinny and horrible when I was on my way into town with zero bass and now they sound so damn good when i'm sitting at home? Don't really get it.
Because of the environment and level of ambient noise.

I use the ANC on my buds live in the car but turn it off otherwise. It cuts low level rumble and boosts the bass at the same time, which helps in nosier environments. Otherwise I prefer it off at home or walking around.

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #35,317 of 62,573
If an ear tip is on the cusp of fitting right (slightly to small or to big) it can affect the seal just enough in certain circumstances to a cause the signature to be impacted making the IEM sound tinny or lacking bass if it loses the seal. I also know my ear slightly changes size sometime affecting the seal.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #35,318 of 62,573
I've owned my N6 PRO for a few weeks now and I was happy until yesterday. That's when my hand inadvertently brushed against my right ear and the N6 PRO performed an unplanned mechanical drop test onto my asphalt driveway. The right-side unit was dead; as in no audio, no response to buttons, and most importantly, no charging indicator on the case. So, it's d-e-a-d. :angry:

The height of the drop was around 1.5 m ("ear level"). A google search shows absolutely nothing on shock and vibration standards for IEMs, or headphones for that matter. I did find a random article (5 Top True Wireless Earbuds That Don’t Break Easily) which was very clear that earbuds are expected to withstand drops from ear level. So, I did not abuse anything and expect this to be covered as a defective unit.

I'm within Amazon's 30-day return policy "for any reason" and they're going back tomorrow. A replacement will arrive the day after.

Of course, audio performance is top priority. However, there are other factors which can influence a purchase decision - water resistance comes to mind. Unless I missed it, I don't see any information in this forum or elsewhere that discusses engineering specifications for "shock and vibration" standards. Does anyone have a good reference?
Very good question and concern. I would say there are probably "internal only" documents related to drop testing for the big players (Sony, Bose, etc). For the smaller outfits it is probably an afterthought. The demand for TWS devices is clearly growing. Once the demand fully rolls over into the professional/front line workers realm (ie law enforcement, manufacturing, etc) we will likely see a lot more engineering and test data become available to the end consumer. Just my 2 cents.

From what I know of Nuarl, they might be interested in your particular issue. Not that I wouldn't return your set through Amazon, but might be worth contacting the manufacturer just to help improve the product. I gave lots of feedback to Devialet on the two sets of Gemini I owned and they were thankful.

Good luck with your return/replacement process.

Jul 18, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #35,319 of 62,573
I bought a set of Azla Crystal that I received yesterday. I have them both on the CA Melomania Touch and Moondrop Sparks. So far I really like these on both sets. The Sparks look less goofy due to deeper insertion. The MT with crystal tips, I spend WAY less time futzing with trying to get a good seal. Just put them in and go.

Still liking both the MT and Sparks. I think they complement each other very well. At this point planning to keep both which is a nice feeling after buying and trying so many sets.

The CA MT are a super solid contender. Very nicely balanced signature. Slightly boosted bass and mids that are just barely recessed. All easily corrected by the app. I think these are going to be my new go-to all rounders. The Sparks are really nice but sound their best only with certain types of music.

I still think the Devialet Gemini sound the best of all sets I have tried overall. However, for the price point, the issues I had with multiple sets just are not acceptable. Hopefully on a good path for the next release though. If they drop the price on the Gemini, I'm all in.

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #35,320 of 62,573
Anyone got the Life P3 yet? I am really puzzled and of course a tad upset that I just sprang for the liberty air 2 pro a few weeks back ... and now every reviewer says these are possibly better? And the one thing that puzzles me is that new ambient / sleep sound feature, which seems to be very much app based, but only available to the Life P3? as far as my 5 minute testing just now went ...
Nice kick in the nuts Soundcore. Locking app features for others?

rant over

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #35,321 of 62,573
Anyone got the Life P3 yet? I am really puzzled and of course a tad upset that I just sprang for the liberty air 2 pro a few weeks back ... and now every reviewer says these are possibly better? And the one thing that puzzles me is that new ambient / sleep sound feature, which seems to be very much app based, but only available to the Life P3? as far as my 5 minute testing just now went ...
Nice kick in the nuts Soundcore. Locking app features for others?

rant over
This youtuber ranks the P3 lower than the Liberty Air 2 Pro on a bunch of metrics:

I think it's just that it's so much cheaper that people are raving about it.

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #35,323 of 62,573
I believe they are Chinese so not big or anything but anyone experienced Formula Lab stuff...
1626707652270.png

1626707758933.png

1626707813954.png

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #35,324 of 62,573
I finally figured out how to crank the Galaxy Buds Pro in properly and, gonna be honest here, I end up using them more than my much "better" wired setup. Good on Samsung/AKG.
Similar here, finally got access to an android phone and was able to do a firmware update and now I can even use the edge double-tab for volume control, while the buds are connected to my iPhone (it also keeps the 'dynamic' EQ I selected on the android phone) ... I was surprised to see when the Buds Pro were connected to Android that they were playing in AAC! I thought AAC was an apple only thing ...
I still hope some day there will be an app upgrade on iOS .. i like to block touches from time to time (i.e. for running, when I might have to adjust fit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back