Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 6, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #35,041 of 62,585
Hmmm, if you didn't like the XM3 sound wise, everything I read suggests the sound is a bit darker and treble even less pronounced on the XM4 which is one of the reasons aside from price I am struggling with the new model. If you do decide on trying the XM4 I would make sure it's from a company that allows returns like Amazon.

I had the XM3 since they were released and only recently transferred over to the XM4 and I can tell you that the treble is an improvement over the XM3. I would say the XM4 has more authoritative bass over the XM3 so if you're not a lover of bass then stick with the XM3. Have given it a mix of most genres and I found it particularly good for EDM, pop and classical music especially since it adds weight to those instruments like double bass and cello adding some nice richness to those warm low pitches.

I would say having owned the XM3 and the XM4, that it's a great improvement across the board but at the moment with the price difference, it's better to go with XM3 if you're working with a budget. If not, then XM4 is currently top shelf stuff in this realm.

I'd add that if you live in a climate where you get a lot of wind and you use them outdoors a lot, then the wind reduction feature in the XM4 is worth the price alone lol
It was one major annoyance of mine with the XM3 that I'm glad Sony addressed.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #35,042 of 62,585
I had the XM3 since they were released and only recently transferred over to the XM4 and I can tell you that the treble is an improvement over the XM3. I would say the XM4 has more authoritative bass over the XM3 so if you're not a lover of bass then stick with the XM3. Have given it a mix of most genres and I found it particularly good for EDM, pop and classical music especially since it adds weight to those instruments like double bass and cello adding some nice richness to those warm low pitches.

I would say having owned the XM3 and the XM4, that it's a great improvement across the board but at the moment with the price difference, it's better to go with XM3 if you're working with a budget. If not, then XM4 is currently top shelf stuff in this realm.
I’ve already had the XM3’s, and I wasn’t convinced by the sound but I think that was due to the poor fit I had with them, something that seems to be drastically improved with the XM4’s.
I can say that I’m never going back to the XM3’s anyway, I honestly despised everything with them except for the sound, that still wasn’t fantastic but it was definitely GOOD those first minutes before the buds had slid out enough for the seal to be broken. :frowning2:

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #35,043 of 62,585
I think the MTs handle a wider variety of music better than the XM4s. You can throw a bit more bassy music at them and it still sounds proper where as the XM4s don't quite reach the same level. From a feature stand point, I love the XM4s as they do it all and still sound good. I kept them both :) which doesn't help your decision. If you are going to be using them for calls/conference calls at all, I feel the Sony's are built a bit better for this. I don't like the fingers in ear effect and like to have transparency when talking on calls and the MTs don't allow that as the transparency mode repurposes the mic (which is used for the call) from what I have read so far.

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #35,044 of 62,585

I'd add that if you live in a climate where you get a lot of wind and you use them outdoors a lot, then the wind reduction feature in the XM4 is worth the price alone lol
It was one major annoyance of mine with the XM3 that I'm glad Sony addressed.
Thanks for chiming in with real world experience! Much better than 2nd hand news. I am really glad to hear your take too as the comments I saw saying the treble was even less than the XM3 definitely had me worried.

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #35,045 of 62,585
Only the right earbud can be independent. However the noise canceling state carries over as far as I can tell.
I almost hate to reply to this so many days after the original post, because i'm betting a lot of people have shared what I'm about to. But just incase that isn't true, @Dregur it might depend on what phone you're using these with. Even on older phones with QC SOCs on the 800 series prior to 845, as well as other 6 and 7 series, I've found that if I have a True Wireless model that is otherwise capable of being used in mono, i can pair each individually, and use one at a time. When both are out, the handoff is generally seamless. The phone stays paired with the TWE that was out first, and worst case scenario I've had to resume the audio. Can't speak to how this might work with an IOS Device or on Android phones with mediaTek SOCs.
Regarding the WF XM4, @DigDub both TWEs pair to the phone at the same time. If one is placed in the case then the audio usually and I'd say 90-95% of the time, doesn't stop playing from the other TWE. I've been using these pretty consistently for 12 days now, and have switched to mono with each often, and never had the audio stop. But after reading your post, I wanted to see what would happen if I kept swapping them wrapidly. only then did the audio stop and I had to resume it FWIW.
I switched them in and out probably 20 times, and the audio stopped twice. But in more normal use cases, as I mentioned, switching from one to the other while keeping one in has been smooth sailing.
Also, the WF XM4 remember the state they're in, so if I leave them in Ambient, put them both away and pull them out later, they're in Ambient. if I place the left TWE in the case while in ANC then the right TWE seems to switch from trying to use ANC to passive. i can hear it cycling, but it doesn't go in to Ambient mode. But if I've previously had Ambient mode on while both were out, then ambient remains active with either TWE being used in mono.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #35,046 of 62,585
i
After today, I can confirm that the XM4s do not sound as good on the receiving end of calls/conferencing as the other TWS I have (B&W and Air Pods Pro). Not a big deal to me as I will not be using them for that generally, but if that is important to anyone. They said it still sounded clear enough, just not as nice as the others..That's basically in line with what I expected, i've only made a few calls with them and i decided I need to put them through the paces more because I was talking to someone on the phone the other day while laying in a recliner, wearing the XM4 and i turned up my TV to a decently high volume that many other TWEs and headphones easily pick up. The person on the other end said they could hear me the whole time no issues and couldn't hear the TV at all. This is someone who will let me know immediately if some background noise is loud so I was pretty surprised.

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #35,047 of 62,585
I managed to stretch the Fender Xelastic type tip shaped like a volcano onto the Galaxy Bud Pro Stem.

It fits very snug and offers a unique fit and feel. More like the original tip because it rides up the IEM housing so much but with a better seal because it rides up the housing so much. If any one has the old Aurisonic or a Fender IEM with these tips, I suggest giving them a try. Tricky to get on but worth the effort.

May I digress .. is that the Logitech K380 keyboard? How you liking it?

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #35,048 of 62,585
For people who have heard the Melomania Touch and the Sony WF-1000XM4's, which sounds better in your opinion?
Just watching reviews of earbuds is unfortunately a bit puzzling sometimes, I feel like it's hard to scale their scores accurately across different price segments.
I've been looking at people here saying that the MT's sound absolutely fantastic, I've seen reviewers say that the SoundPeats H1's sound amazing, but it's always compared mostly with buds that are the same price.

I'm currently weighing my options for you who saw hat I was trying to decide between the Sony's and the Sennheisers awhile back. I've ruled out the Sennheisers because the sound did not fit me, and now I'm trying to weigh my options, and if I want to buy the Sony's when they get back in stock, or if I should be slightly more... cheap.
So my options are looking kinda like this right now (some of the prices are estimates since I just crudely converted them to USD from the local currency):

Sony XM4's: $280
Bose QC Buds: $100 (quite a steal, open box but in mint condition, however the massive case makes my pp soft)
Lypertek Pureplay Z3 $89
Melomania Touch $129
Status Between Pro $99
Soundpeats H1 $69
Edifier Neobuds Pro $69-ish (early bird price, these are coming out in july/august sometime, new hi-res certified buds from Edifier with ANC etc)

Sound quality is priority number one, but I do care about call quality, convenience, noise cancellation (be it active or passive, preferrably ANC but not necessary), case size, good connection and wireless charging,
Sound is so subjective that it's difficult to just say "that is better", but I can only try to rely on other peoples opinions here. Really want a pair that I can be satisfied with in the long run (i mean, a year or maybe two?) that would give me that pure listening joy, but I feel like buying buds without ANC feels less than good at this stage even though I know that passive noise cancellation can be almost as good.
But I could also go for two cheaper earbuds on the list if they end up going for $200 and under. Also open to other suggestions.

I usually like a versatile sound because I'm going to listen to music that requires PHAT BASS like electronic genres, pop, but i'm also going to listen to jazz classics and ambient music where good separation and soundstage is important, and just about anything else you can imagine, death metal, indie-folk, r&b, hip-hop, trap, emo, you name it, basically.
just saying that the Bose QC buds have become my Go-To buds ... but I would not trust my 50+ old ears on sound quality .. i DO like the bose house sound, but I imagine that some here find it less refined ... but for 100$ .. that is really a steal!!!

Jul 7, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #35,051 of 62,585
JBL budget $50 Wave 100...
1625659112891.png

I do like lidless designs. They should have one that can do both be left open or close if you want. Maybe just as simple as a pen cap snapping on the other end of the pen a cap can snap on the other side and be out of the way and be storage but also be there to go on for rain or whatever you want to protect from. We certainly do need more ingenuity in case designs.

Hmmm, now the N6 Pro2 is 10% off making it $150 shipped to pre-order and price protection if it were to drop any more. I doubt it but good to know you will get the adjustment automatically if it drops. On Amazon.jp the 10% says it will be in effect till October. In my cart and probably will complete my purchase on my first Nuarl. Gamesky actual came in handy with his Nuarl showing the mics are pretty damn good so I know the ambient will be pretty natural.

Jul 7, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #35,052 of 62,585
I wonder if there's a new Sennheiser Momentum TW coming out soon? One store here just put up the MTW2 for half off, costing around $135, that's one hell of a deal honestly. Considering that they also were fine with selling them for a big discount with the whole football/soccer in England/UK (don't remember if it was just england or not), there seems to be something brewing, right?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #35,053 of 62,585
I wonder if there's a new Sennheiser Momentum TW coming out soon? One store here just put up the MTW2 for half off, costing around $135, that's one hell of a deal honestly. Considering that they also were fine with selling them for a big discount with the whole football/soccer in England/UK (don't remember if it was just england or not), there seems to be something brewing, right?
Easy check with FCC documents that would show this.
1625662749468.png

Just the CX so nothing is close.

The thing is they have sold the consumer brand to Sonova and the sales are most likely for a cash influx. Hopefully that bodes well for future Senn models having a bit better pricing. Lucid is doing this with Westone all of a sudden the Japan version of the W30 is for sale at $149. Lets price to sell, sell the old stuff off and make some money for the new direction. Unfortunately while, like you said, things are brewing the changeover may make something new take longer. Keep an eye for filings but might not have anything new till CES as things get sorted.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #35,054 of 62,585
Easy check with FCC documents that would show this.

Just the CX so nothing is close.

The thing is they have sold the consumer brand to Sonova and the sales are most likely for a cash influx. Hopefully that bodes well for future Senn models having a bit better pricing. Lucid is doing this with Westone all of a sudden the Japan version of the W30 is for sale at $149. Lets price to sell, sell the old stuff off and make some money for the new direction. Unfortunately while, like you said, things are brewing the changeover may make something new take longer. Keep an eye for filings but might not have anything new till CES as things get sorted.
Fair point! They actually changed the price back to $269 just now so the price was literally just for a few hours at the very most.

I actually snagged a pair for the discounted price and literally 15 minutes later the price has gone back up, so i'm thinking that it was accidentally discounted or something, but I reserved them for the price they were up for, so i'm going to pick them up and if I don't like them I can just sell them for more than I bought them for (not saying I will, but I COULD)!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #35,055 of 62,585
May I digress .. is that the Logitech K380 keyboard? How you liking it?
Your close, the keyboard is the K780, I use it in conjunction with the M720 and it allows me to switch between two side by side computers for work. Its not perfect as the mouse is supposed to slide between machines by simply traversing them like 2 monitors and the keyboard is then supposed to follow which does not always work but even though I get frustrated it has improved my efficiency a ton. The keyboard itself has a nice feel to the keys for me as I am not a great typist anyway.

Edit: talking about my frustration got me motivated. In reading the Logitech website they mention that the software may not feel like its working correctly when just using the move to the edge of screen feature so I just enabled an option where you do that plus hold the CTRL down and damn that feels much better! Hopefully its solves my issues with the mouse accidentally switching computers and the keyboard not correctly following the mouse. If it does I might stop swearing at the mosue and KB 30 times a day LOL.

Also if you buy the mouse and KB for the purpose of seemlessly switching between to computers, realize this is all done over the network using the Logitech Options software so may require you to play around with the firewall software to gets things working. The biggest issue is making sure both machines are set to a trusted network when working at home. In my case I had to manually adjust this as they defaulted to untrusted because they are company machines. Once I sorted out the network piece then I was to use the software features. I also would confirm with your business if wanting to use it on a company PC to make sure it's allowed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back