Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 8, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #35,073 of 62,744
Jul 8, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #35,075 of 62,744
Like the Tronsmart clone then lol
way worse...not kidding. The Apollos were fine in passive and ambient, the latter to a lesser degree, in ANC mode, the Bass went to a rediculous level. Bass on the Ally Plus 2 is decent low bass anyway, but everything else about them is just aweful.

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #35,076 of 62,744
LE Audio (LC3 codec) and LHDC need some time to mature until properly ready for en masse adoption
Those two are different and I don't hold out much hope for LHDC. LC3 is an open standard and that is kinda scary. There was SBC XQ but why did we never get an optimized SBC codec? I fear Qualcomm and Apple may have had a hand trying to protect AAC and aptX against higher quality SBC and MP3 as BT codecs. I really wonder If LC3+ will really come along as a HQ codec or will it face push back. LC3 is not LDAC or LHDC and so far the listening tests say it is hard to tell it from SBC as long as both are at higher bit rate 192 and above. LC3 is still the base codec and will be much more efficient but is better than SBC but not HD, LDAC, LHDC or better bitrate codecs. Correct me but LC3 will be up to 345 bitrate and above that will be LC3+.
To me, the benefits low computational complexity are the standout. Meaning less time spent enconding/decoding everything. Less energy cost (batteries last longer), less audio lag (less time spent unpacking), better compression (can smash more info before sending). A handful of areas that bluetooth currently fails to deliver on while still riding on the old school cool SBC. Open standard to you might be scary, but to others it allows a lot of people who would never have oversight into a project to actually look under the hood and find unique ways to overcome hurdles others may be stuck on.

Dont quote me but if you buy a future proof BT v5.2 device, with the correct LE Audio SoC chip now, you may get a 20%+ battery bump if your device gets a firmware patch and can use LE audio (someday in the future).

Correct me but LC3 will be up to 345 bitrate and above that will be LC3+.

It'll depend on the codec's mode thats developed, Full-Band (FB) vs Ultra-Band (UB). "LC3plus also includes a high-resolution coding mode using Full-Band (FB) and Ultra-Band (UB) audio encoding at sampling frequencies of 48 kHz and 96 kHz with maximum frame sizes of 625 bytes for a 10 ms frame duration"

If you wanna nerd out, this doc I've slowly been reading through https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/103600_103699/103634/01.02.01_60/ts_103634v010201p.pdf

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #35,078 of 62,744
I just sent my second pair of Devialet Geminis back. I had the same issue in my replacement set that the music would not auto-pause when taking out the right ear IEM. Also this second pair had an audible high pitched whine in the left ear IEM. Really unfortunate as the sound of the Gemini's is truly fantastic. The battery life could be better, but I was willing to overlook that due to how good they sounded. Oh well the hunt continues. Still have my eye on the Melomania Touch if Amazon ever starts carrying them again.

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #35,082 of 62,744
LE Audio (LC3 codec) and LHDC need some time to mature until properly ready for en masse adoption

To me, the benefits low computational complexity are the standout. Meaning less time spent enconding/decoding everything. Less energy cost (batteries last longer), less audio lag (less time spent unpacking), better compression (can smash more info before sending). A handful of areas that bluetooth currently fails to deliver on while still riding on the old school cool SBC. Open standard to you might be scary, but to others it allows a lot of people who would never have oversight into a project to actually look under the hood and find unique ways to overcome hurdles others may be stuck on.

Dont quote me but if you buy a future proof BT v5.2 device, with the correct LE Audio SoC chip now, you may get a 20%+ battery bump if your device gets a firmware patch and can use LE audio (someday in the future).

It'll depend on the codec's mode thats developed, Full-Band (FB) vs Ultra-Band (UB). "LC3plus also includes a high-resolution coding mode using Full-Band (FB) and Ultra-Band (UB) audio encoding at sampling frequencies of 48 kHz and 96 kHz with maximum frame sizes of 625 bytes for a 10 ms frame duration"

If you wanna nerd out, this doc I've slowly been reading through https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/103600_103699/103634/01.02.01_60/ts_103634v010201p.pdf
You might have misunderstood. It is good to have more people work on developing. It is kind of scary cause MP3 and SBC were out there and SBC was certainly improved but not adopted( SBC XQ touted as = to aptX HD). The big boys do seem to have properties they want protected and the free open standard stuff gets suppressed. Battery improvement is not the issue more than the quality being held back esp. LC3+. Will base LC3 which will sound a bit better and be more efficient be all we see in the end devices like now? Money is in AAC, aptX and proprietary codecs like LDAC. Pretty sure they will put up a fight more than just loss the licensing $$$. We know the people that control the equipment have a big say of what goes on it. An XM5 TWS with a more efficient LC3+ on it? Apple not protect AAC etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back