Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 14, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #34,246 of 62,439

WF-1000XM4​

Turned on fully charged buds/case at 00:35 BT 5.2, AAC, Non-ANC, Vol 30% playing brown noise, low batt warning on the R bud just after 5am and shortly after than same on the L bud.

R bud powered off at 5:48, immediately got phone and waited 1 minute and tapped R bud to power on and reconnect to the PC then quickly swapped to the phone to see the Sony App’s battery meter.

L bud 11% and R but 1% with just over 4 hours use instead of claimed 11 hours (assuming 50% Vol as not stated).
DSEE on?

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #34,247 of 62,439
Has anyone tried both the XM4s and the Galaxy Buds Plus/Pro? I’m tossing up whether to pre-order the XM4 (arriving mid-July) or wait for the Galaxy Buds 2 (rumoured for August). I much prefer a more neutral sound than the Sony house sound, don’t require ANC, and would prefer multipoint, so am hoping the Buds 2 might be the ticket.
Nothing about the XM4 reviews suggest it will be different enough from the Sony sound of late. If you prefer more neutral I imagine the Galaxy Pro would be more your liking of this upcoming Buds 2.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #34,248 of 62,439
I know we always say this and that is better than this but really it all boils down to personal preference and opinion. I’m also into running and I always say one shoe that works for me might not necessarily work for someone else. Thank god for good old return policies in this game lol

Jun 14, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #34,250 of 62,439
Nothing about the XM4 reviews suggest it will be different enough from the Sony sound of late. If you prefer more neutral I imagine the Galaxy Pro would be more your liking of this upcoming Buds 2.
One thing you might want to keep in mind is that the Sony EQs EXTREMELY well and has a bunch of presets as well as a 5 band equaliser for finer adjustments. While out of the box they are tuned for mainstream bass sound, if you use the preset sound profiles or the EQ you can get neutral sound from them as well.

AFAIK the Galaxy Bud app only has presets and no EQ.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #34,251 of 62,439
I think (in the end after many FW updates and re-tuning) the MT are one of those rare gems that punch in higher than their price tag IMO. Are they perfect? No! Are they accurately tuned? Heck no! But, do they have some really good technicalities in their single DD driver? Oh yes! Hopefully CA has learned a thing or two and the next gen will be better. I know I will be tempted (at least) to check them out. In the end, I am glad I bought them!

I dig the Melomania Touch. It’s a very decent sounding tws for the money but frustrated me with the connection issues. I look forward to the next iteration 100% if they keep or improve on the sound quality but work on improving the overall experience.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #34,252 of 62,439
Yea I agree, the Melomania touch kinda reminds me of the Shure Aonic 50, perfect SQ-wise/comfort, that pushes way above its price tag, but with a lackluster technical experience.

If CA can launch the next iteration without any bugs/connection issues with decent ANC-functionallity and Bluetooth LC3... I'd buy it in an instant. The case itself wasn't really that great build quality wise, I wouldn't mind a slight price increase compared if they gave us ANC and a better case.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #34,253 of 62,439
For those of you looking to run in the XM4, went out for a second longer run today and you do actually feel them after about an hour, I think it’s mainly because it was a hot day, but they did manage to stay glued to the ears. In this regard, I think I prefer the AirPods Pro for running as they feel lighter and smaller.

However, the ANC when running is top shelf, absolutely superb, you feel 100% in a music bubble.

One thing I need to commend Sony on is the Speak to Chat. It works flawlessly and is so good. Saves me having to remove one earbud when someone talks to you.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #34,255 of 62,439
Why would I need to upscale brown noise to sleep?

You did get I was using my PC? (so no Sony app or EQ's etc). :relaxed:

the XMs store their settings on the earpiece so (that i know of) it should stay that way even when connected to a PC. for example, my friend once tested my unit on his phone (which never have the Sony app installed), and my EQ settings still carried on the unit. so if you did turn it on, it's a factor.

on whether or not you need to upscale brown noise or not: maybe you want to enjoy the extra brown-ess of the sound? :slight_smile:

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #34,256 of 62,439

WF-1000XM4​

Turned on fully charged buds/case at 00:35 BT 5.2, AAC, Non-ANC, Vol 30% playing brown noise, low batt warning on the R bud just after 5am and shortly after than same on the L bud.

R bud powered off at 5:48, immediately got phone and waited 1 minute and tapped R bud to power on and reconnect to the PC then quickly swapped to the phone to see the Sony App’s battery meter.

L bud 11% and R but 1% with just over 4 hours use instead of claimed 11 hours (assuming 50% Vol as not stated).
Sounds like a potential defect. Do you have the opportunity to return them?

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #34,257 of 62,439
[re Sony WF-1000XM4]

DSEE on?
Not for my 5.5 hr trips. The Sony description says DSEE is "technology developed by Sony, to enhance the sound quality of compressed audio files by restoring high-range sound removed by the compression process." All my tunes on the phone are FLACs, so I don't have any music files with lossy compression that DSEE is intended to improve.

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #34,258 of 62,439
Not for my 5.5 hr trips. The Sony description says DSEE is "technology developed by Sony, to enhance the sound quality of compressed audio files by restoring high-range sound removed by the compression process." All my tunes on the phone are FLACs, so I don't have any music files with lossy compression that DSEE is intended to improve.

5.5 hours to go from 100% to 0%? may i know did you use ANC and/or LDAC? if it's with ANC and LDAC off, that number is a bit underwhelming..

on DSEE, i suspect that it's just adding high freq harmonics on whatever material is playing, to add illusion that the music is of higher quality bitrate. i currently don't store flac files on my phone so i couldn't test it, but maybe you could help confirm this by listening to the same flac file and toggling the DSEE on and off, and see if there's a difference (especially on the high frequency).

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #34,259 of 62,439
5.5 hours to go from 100% to 0%? may i know did you use ANC and/or LDAC? if it's with ANC and LDAC off, that number is a bit underwhelming..

on DSEE, i suspect that it's just adding high freq harmonics on whatever material is playing, to add illusion that the music is of higher quality bitrate. i currently don't store flac files on my phone so i couldn't test it, but maybe you could help confirm this by listening to the same flac file and toggling the DSEE on and off, and see if there's a difference (especially on the high frequency).
Sorry, I should have repeated that info from my prior post ... ANC on and LDAC all the time.

Obviously we are all different, but I don't have a common use case that says I need 10-12 hours of wireless music without an hour break for a fast recharge in the case.

I'll give DSEE a listen later tonight. If if affects really high frequencies, I may not hear it, I have old man hearing that tops out at 14.5 kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back