Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 5, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #33,843 of 63,214
Hope the XM4's deliver decently on AAC as well.
What the XM4s REALLY need to do is offer a proper fit, the XM3s have to be the worst ever fitting TWS...unless you were ready to ram them in your ear canals and endure pain after a few minutes except with Complys maybe but then having to change them after a few days/weeks.

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #33,844 of 63,214
Jun 5, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #33,845 of 63,214
What the XM4s REALLY need to do is offer a proper fit, the XM3s have to be the worst ever fitting TWS...unless you were ready to ram them in your ear canals and endure pain after a few minutes except with Complys maybe but then having to change them after a few days/weeks.
Never tried the XM3's on account of their design but I can definitely see the fit being less than ideal

Jun 5, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #33,846 of 63,214
So did you ever receive the Echo Buds v1 ?
it’s maddening, they are in the country! The guy who brought them from the UK finished his quarantine. When he was done the island went into lockdown! And then it got extended until 14th. And since numbers are not going down, I am expecting another week.
He is only 3km away, but I don’t want to get arrested over getting earbuds :wink:

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #33,847 of 63,214
They probably had to sign non-disclosure agreements with Sony to not publicly discuss or release anything until Sony gives the okay

Yup most likely. Sony once offered me embargoed information if I signed NDAs, I said I would do it, but they never contacted me again, guess you gotta be one of the big boy tech sites/youtubers to get such stuff.

Still no LE Audio? Are we looking at end of 2021/early 22 for that to start shipping?

Looking like Im gonna hold on to my LP2s for a a little longer.

I feel this is the case, we first need smartphones and other devices with LE Audio before headsets get it. It's the chicken or the egg scenario. Manufacturers can release LE Audio headsets, but if no devices can send LE Audio, you can't really use the feature on the headphones.

Likewise, why add LE Audio to a smartphone, if there are no LE audio headsets to take advantage of it. From what I have seen, some bluetooth SoC chipsets support BT 5.2 and parts of LE audio (not all specs are released yet), so I suspect some devices on the market right now will be able to get LE audio upgrade via firmware and subsequent certification.

For example the Bluetooth SoC in the upcoming WF-1000XM4 is certified for BT 5.2 and some of LE audio specs (Isochronous Adaptation Layer for example). Will be interesting if Sony mentions the new SoC and LE audio in their press release, doubt it, but maybe they will tout future upgradability to LE audio once it is fully released. Would help future proof the headset.

Read on WalkmanBlog that one listing mentioned 6mm driver size but not 100% confirmed and we won't know for sure until next week at the announcement.

It is from a retail listing, I trust it since most of these retail listings just copy word for word from the press release/info Sony provides. Everything else in the retail listing matches the leaks and information, so looks like 6mm is the driver size, but from the leaked video, materials might be new.

The claim of the new drivers is most likely from the video, unless they have other information they are not sharing (ie embargoed material), but pretty sure websites are not allowed to mention such info, unless it has leaked. The video showed the new diaphragms but not driver, "new speakers and diaphragms" translating using google provides, "new speakers and diaphragms".

It does not look like Sony's previous TWS buds supported AptX. However, their headphones and neckbands do though...

Edit: I'm looking through the list and while the XM3 (over ear) is shown the XM4 is absent from the list.
Edit 2: If you look on the product pages for the WF-1000XM3 (TWS), AptX is absent from the specs.

There was moment when Qualcomm listed the WF-1000XM3 on their aptX website, I have screenshots on the blog, but it was removed. Not idea what the deal was. The WH-1000XM3 uses a qualcomm bluetooth SoC, so this is why aptX is supported. The WF-1000X is also on qualcomm but due to aptX's higher battery drain, sony left it out of the codec support. The battery life on it was pretty abysmal, so adding aptX would have killed it even further. Sony would also need to pay a license fee for aptX if they wanted to use it on their WF models.

The WH-1000XM4 is on mediatek bluetooth SoC, so this the main reason no aptX support. Sure qualcomm could provide the necessary codecs for Sony/mediatek, but it would probably again include license fees and maybe even other costs qualcomm would pull out of their butts.

Nobody outside of Sony and its retail partners will know about actual availability (dates and quantities), but that will become apparent in a few days... As to sound, well, it makes sense if you are concerned to wait for reviews and comparisons to other IEMs. I certainly am interested in the XM4, but they will be at a price point beyond “discretionary” for me so I will wait to hear what others have to say before taking the plunge...!

I've only seen 2 retail listings so far, none had a release date on them. I am sure more will go up right after they are announced. I suspect we might be looking at a situation where major markets get it first with other regions maybe later. The listings confirm 279 euros for a price, with my gut saying we could be looking at 279 USD, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sony kept the 249 USD price stateside.

Hope the XM4's deliver decently on AAC as well.

Personally hope Sony adds LE audio in the future, early 2022

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #33,848 of 63,214
Wf xm3 price just dropped on Amazon uk, £153 now. Cheapest I’ve seen them, they must know (or have in warehouse) new ones are coming out and trying to clear out stock.

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #33,849 of 63,214
Looks like Sony is putting out the WF1000XM4 to reviewers. It still under embargo, no details is allowed to share to the public just yet until next week 😜
What makes you think that ?

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #33,850 of 63,214
What makes you think that ?
Someone here already seems to have it and won't talk about it. :)

D'oh! Just should have looked closer at the Sabbat E16 Amazon listing and Magnetostat confirmation is right there...
1622918514531.png

So, the excellent sound with detail and "W" sig that Gamesky describe obviously fits as well. Think that makes them a safer bet to deliver the SQ goods. A very good driver that just has to be implemented well enough.

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #33,852 of 63,214
A new Sabbat ? Great, still love my X12 :wink:
Hadn't see the hints about the WF-XM4s, it looks like they're dropping next week...

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #33,853 of 63,214
Didn't audeze do one? NVM they have a planar wired one but not a TWS. It would make sense to have an internal amplification circuit like what is on the Geekfly GF8S for a planar that would make it sing on the go and be able to use on a phone without amplification. Someone will do it I bet.
Yeah I’m thinking of getting them when the Bluetooth cable is available too. I love my LCD-2s

https://www.audeze.com/products/euclid

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #33,855 of 63,214
Didn't audeze do one? NVM they have a planar wired one but not a TWS. It would make sense to have an internal amplification circuit like what is on the Geekfly GF8S for a planar that would make it sing on the go and be able to use on a phone without amplification. Someone will do it I bet.
You can combine them with an adapter to make it TWS. They aren’t the most portable though.

Attachments

• 01E3D31C-9684-4A71-B820-957D0FA8EBA3.jpeg
    01E3D31C-9684-4A71-B820-957D0FA8EBA3.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 0
  • B3A0C41D-05AD-4728-8DB6-97B315294213.jpeg
    B3A0C41D-05AD-4728-8DB6-97B315294213.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back