Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 1, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #33,706 of 62,138
The Sony would seem to be coming at the $279 price point. If, esp. with LDAC and the new chip and driver they are even better sounding and all the features they have I would think they are not bad. $129 more than the $150 M5. Perhaps even more rock solid connection and capable of more hours per charge as well. The PI7 are a bit much at $400 but if $279 on release the Sony will be popular and worth the $$$ if they realize the promise of SQ, better ANC, and everything else they tout.
I feel like we can go in circles while people act on imaginary lines drawn regarding this Sony debate. Makes sense to me that those interested can go for it, those who aren't can pass. I'm planning to pass, but mainly because I already have enough fantastic-sounding pairs here and I think my hobby has pulled me back into the wired realm more anyway. Totally see where everybody's coming from here, but really seems like we're trying to defend our "flavor" here.

LDAC would be cool to have, but I have my suspicions it's going to translate to a massive drain on the battery. Granted, it's Sony's own codec and they probably have some optimizations written for it when used with their hardware (Samsung and Apple do the same thing), so I'm interested to see what comes out of that myself. Asking $275 is pretty high up there, but I think we can all agree that Sony's M.O. has never been "cheap" with their flagship products. Don't see much of an issue with their early adopter tax; consumers will snatch them up like hotcakes as soon as they hit the YouTuber rounds, anyway.

On a related note, I noticed Flossy had reviewed the PI7. Haven't had the time to watch it, but could be interesting.

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #33,708 of 62,138
I like my WF-1000XM3 but I also did not pay full retail. I vacillate between them and the Technics AZ70 due to their different sound signatures. Between the 2 I do prefer the AZ70 for more genres though as it's not quite as warm sounding so a bit more engaging to my ears. I am curious about the new model for sure, but not full retail early adopter tax curious... unless I wind the lottery! In which case I will take one for the team LOL.

Will be watching that youtube event though...

For the wind issue, if you use the headphones app they have a wind setting that's one step away from full ANC that does remove the vast majority of wind noise. It works on the WH-1000XM3 and the WH-910N as well. Its not perfect but does work.

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #33,709 of 62,138
Best to wait on the XM4 than buy on release. I am never making the mistake again that I made buying the Melomania Touch on release. There are usually issues to iron out on release, and rushing out to buy it based on the hype is a recipe for disaster. Wait for the reviews and see what others say. Maybe wait for a firmware update to fix those issues then buy it. Perhaps by then, price might drop 20-30 bucks too. Most of these companies overcharge initially to make up for high research/development costs (excluding perhaps chifi companies that don't usually do their own first-hand research/development). Then once that's recouped, they can afford to slash price $20-$30.

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #33,710 of 62,138
Best to wait on the XM4 than buy on release. I am never making the mistake again that I made buying the Melomania Touch on release. There are usually issues to iron out on release, and rushing out to buy it based on the hype is a recipe for disaster. Wait for the reviews and see what others say. Maybe wait for a firmware update to fix those issues then buy it. Perhaps by then, price might drop 20-30 bucks too. Most of these companies overcharge initially to make up for high research/development costs (excluding perhaps chifi companies that don't usually do their own first-hand research/development). Then once that's recouped, they can afford to slash price $20-$30.
Wise words. Sometimes much easier said than done unfortunately for some of us.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #33,711 of 62,138
Always better :) Think the XM3 was dropped to $230 after a higher early price. First ADV M5 was as much as $249 and then $199 and now $149 with the new version. Klipsch T5 II versions go $50 or even $100 lower on the sport.

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #33,712 of 62,138
as interesting the XM4 is, i think i would wait until the price drops, because even now i still use my XM3 and still loving it. i have no problem with the fit (I'm using the Sony Hybrid with it) and can even use it comfortably for sleeping sideways, combined with some fluffy pillows of course. it even fits inside my motorcycle helmet, though i currently use the Apollo Bold specifically for that purpose.

but I'm definitely interested on the XM4 in the future, it seems Sony improved the XM line in the right direction.

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #33,713 of 62,138
I feel like we can go in circles while people act on imaginary lines drawn regarding this Sony debate. Makes sense to me that those interested can go for it, those who aren't can pass. I'm planning to pass, but mainly because I already have enough fantastic-sounding pairs here and I think my hobby has pulled me back into the wired realm more anyway. Totally see where everybody's coming from here, but really seems like we're trying to defend our "flavor" here.

LDAC would be cool to have, but I have my suspicions it's going to translate to a massive drain on the battery. Granted, it's Sony's own codec and they probably have some optimizations written for it when used with their hardware (Samsung and Apple do the same thing), so I'm interested to see what comes out of that myself. Asking $275 is pretty high up there, but I think we can all agree that Sony's M.O. has never been "cheap" with their flagship products. Don't see much of an issue with their early adopter tax; consumers will snatch them up like hotcakes as soon as they hit the YouTuber rounds, anyway.

On a related note, I noticed Flossy had reviewed the PI7. Haven't had the time to watch it, but could be interesting.
Funny you should mention wired. Decided to just do some listening tonight with the $129 on sale Ety ER4XR and Qudelix 5k combo. Damn. Admittedly I do tweak the bass just a little, but while the TWs I have here are fine, can’t touch the “wireless” Etys. Why I even use TWs when sitting in a chair is, as Spock might say, totally illogical.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #33,715 of 62,138
Ok, so I caved...Azla's reputation precedes them; couldn't pass up seeing what their TWS offering was capable of. Was already ordering a couple books from the 'Zon, so tossed these in as well. Should be "crystal" clear from the photo, but the size I rolled the dice on were Medium. They are also available in all the in-between sizes from SSS up to L (on MTMT as well, if Amazon ever runs out of stock). I believe the lack of larger sizing past this point would be a reflection of the Korean market; perhaps there's not much demand for anything larger.

Here they are pictured on the ADV M5 and they're honestly fantastic bedfellows. I was somewhat surprised to find their tip surface is a lot tackier than your typical silicone or foam tips, which I imagine is to help with grip inside your ear (which it does insanely well), but the tradeoff is that it'll grip onto whatever dust/hair/lint is floating around the air (or in your ear) until you clean it back off. If this becomes a chronic problem, you could always lick your thumb/forefinger and just wipe the surface of the tip prior to insertion. As always, good ear hygiene is a must with any TWS and can mitigate leaving "friends" on the eartip surface long-term.

Sound-wise, the M5 were already temperamental enough with tips as they really don't seem to like anything with a nozzle that protrudes too much. This is for two reasons:
1. The upper midrange begins to smear and become very sibilant. Anything that produces a more horn-like shape does not suit the M5 well, including the EPro TW00, which up until this point were my favorite tips
2. These fit inside the case more than easily. Due to the more rigid nature of the shroud, you do have to give the M5 a bit more of a tap when putting them in the case, but they will fit afterwards and do make contact with the charging pins. Same goes for the CX400BT and Melomania Touch, which I also tested for case compatibility.

And oh, what a difference in sound they make. Azla's full-size tips (the Sedna, not the XELASTEC) seem to perform a lot of cleanup for those TWS that have a slightly looser bass signature. In the case of the M5, which had a prominent, yet compartmentalized bass (not loose), it seemed to take the bass energy and give it more punch without sacrificing the overall intensity. Perhaps these are the tips the M5 were supposed to have all along, though might have been too expensive to include. The overall shape between the Azla Crystal TWS and ADV's flatter tips have a lot in common regarding shape and nozzle protrusion.

They even do fantastically with the CX400BT, which I have had a beast of a time trying to find aftermarket tips that permitted a good seal, didn't completely mess up the midrange tonality, and even performs a little bit of a treble lift. Unfortunately, I find the CX400BT's treble tuning is already pretty rolled off and the Crystal can't perform miracles, but I do find things neutralize enough just from the tip swap to make these plenty enjoyable for vocal-dominant tracks. They did admirably with The Erised's Desire EP, though I'll readily admit that the M5's extra bass weight (and added control, thanks to the tips) completely upstages the CX400BT on this sort of content:

Finally, I gave them a spin with the Melomania Touch. While they're very temperamental inside the MT's case, the tradeoff with in-ear comfort more than make up for it. Overall change to sound signature is probably the least different over stock compared to any other TWS I've tried with the Crystal, though perhaps there's a slight boost in bass clarity, especially with the upright bass in Track 2 of the EP I linked above. In this case, that's not really a bad thing. If the stock bass signature was too much for you, though, I'm afraid the Crystal isn't going to fix that enough to make a difference.

All in all, I think the Senda Crystal are a fantastic alternative set of tips for the ADV M5 (and the only aftermarket tip I've been able to recommend for the M5 so far), a suitable alternative over the stock tips for the CX400BT, and a comfort/fit upgrade (just not a big sound quality one) for the MT. At their current price of $25 for two pairs, however, don't buy until you're absolutely confident in what size you need. Even I was apprehensive at ordering the Medium, but they seem to be the perfect fit in my ears.

Considering the MT only, did you use the medium stock tips? Meaning, if you got the Crystal in medium, are they the same size?

Also, if you had issues with the fit in the case, do you believe the large size would even fit for charging? (I use Large in the stock tips (and wings)). Can you remind me if those Final TWS or ePRO TW00 fit the case? Which of the three do you recommend?

(On a side note, would these Crystals fit the Rai Solo? Although I like the double flanged wide bore tips, I could use a little tackier function for a tackier seal :wink: )

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #33,716 of 62,138
if you already have something decent to use, I would honestly wait on the XM4, as the price will drop for sure. With their new speakers ra3000, it was 299 on release and now about 249 on Amazon.

Can’t wait to try them, as I have been waiting on them for a while. Having used a lot of different brands and not being happy with any of them for various reasons, I’ll be glad to get them as I know Sony never drop the ball with a new iteration, addressing known issues with the previous version and then some.

Jun 2, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #33,717 of 62,138
Considering the MT only, did you use the medium stock tips? Meaning, if you got the Crystal in medium, are they the same size?

Also, if you had issues with the fit in the case, do you believe the large size would even fit for charging? (I use Large in the stock tips (and wings)). Can you remind me if those Final TWS or ePRO TW00 fit the case? Which of the three do you recommend?

(On a side note, would these Crystals fit the Rai Solo? Although I like the double flanged wide bore tips, I could use a little tackier function for a tackier seal :wink: )

I can't answer the first question, but would say that for the second, it sort of ties into the third; the difference in size of those would probably not impact the fitment of the MT, though it IS possible being as how large sizes tend to be a bit longer than the smaller sizes. The issue with the MT fitting properly is/has been based on the length of the tips. These are TWS tips which makes them shallower, and SHOULD fit correctly. Also from being on here for a while, when @miserybeforethemusic first got the Final TWS tips, they fit the MT IIRC. It has just always been a challenge getting regular tips (like the Final Type E) to fit and be able to charge. I ended up using the Spinfit CP360 myself. They are a tad long, but as long as I "drop" them into place correctly, I generally don't have any issues. The larger Spinfits, on the other hand, will fit, but will not allow for charging because they are a bit longer than the medium and small sizes.

As for fitting the Solo, I would also say that they would probably fit. If you rely on putting them deeper into your ear for a seal, then these probably won't be the best for the Solo. If you DO rely on putting them deeper into your ears for a seal, the Final Type E would probably work for you. They are a tacky rubber, like you are describing for the Crystals as being, but longer (they are normal IEM tips, not TWS tips). I will let @miserybeforethemusic confirm this, and this is all my opinion from looking at the pictures of the Crystals.

Jun 2, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #33,718 of 62,138

Size is similar, which was refreshing.
IMG_20210602_084705.jpg
From left to right: stock, Azla Crystal, Final TWS

Bore depth is the biggest differentiator, which you can clearly see with this picture. If your TWS doesn't like having a very long nozzle, the Crystals make a great match.
IMG_20210602_084723.jpg

As to whether they'd fit the Rai Solo, I couldn't tell you for sure without knowing the nozzle dimensions. My guess is something like the SednaFitShort would probably be a better bet as they're more suited to the IEM market. They also make the XELASTEC, but those have a pretty steep learning curve to them.

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #33,719 of 62,138
Funny you should mention wired. Decided to just do some listening tonight with the $129 on sale Ety ER4XR and Qudelix 5k combo. Damn. Admittedly I do tweak the bass just a little, but while the TWs I have here are fine, can’t touch the “wireless” Etys. Why I even use TWs when sitting in a chair is, as Spock might say, totally illogical.
Thanks for that, I just ordered the ER4SR. Had them on my bucket list for a while and couldn't pass up on this sweet deal. 👍 Plan to use them with the BTR5. :)

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #33,720 of 62,138
Thanks for that, I just ordered the ER4SR. Had them on my bucket list for a while and couldn't pass up on this sweet deal. 👍 Plan to use them with the BTR5. :)
I don't have either of that specific chain, but I believe you will like the combo. I started out using the new version of Ety's triple flange, but just found an old pair of the small Ety foam tips and they are perfect for me. The foam tips that come with the Etys are much too bulky for my needs. I ripped one of the stem trying to take it off the ER4XR. Anyway, hope you enjoy them as much as I do (and plan to do more often). I was enamored with the wireless thing and when outside the house or doing something a cable makes impractical, still a big fan of the Melomania Touch and M1+. But with the Eudelix (I also have an ES100 on hand), it was just a lightbulb moment when I realized I am sitting in one place, no need for TW. And the two TW phones are no match for the Etys IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back