Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 16, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #33,287 of 62,151
Hi guys! Im about to buy myself a TWS set, but its isnt easy to choose one.. I will NOT be spending 3-400 usd on a new TWS. Im looking for max 200 new. I also use LG V40 with Android 10.
Does someone have experience with:

* Panasonic RZ-S500? Seems like a very good deal at 99 usd and it got full pot at "What HiFi".
* Moondrop Sparks? They look stunningly good! And the price is very good.
*Anker soundcore liberty air 2 (with or without pro) or other Anker TWS?
*Jabra elite (active)75T?
* LG Tonefree FN6/7 series? They seems very interesting since they are tunes by Meridian and for what i can understand they have some form of spatial audio? (Im fan of spatial audio, as long is done right).

Its important for me that it can be connected to 2 phones at the same time and that the micro Phone is decent( Teams meetings at work). Stable connectivity and decent soundquality. Its not gonna be my critical listening buds at all. Just buds for work, podcast and music when jogging/Walking

Since i use LGV40, i dont want Airpods og galaxy buds. This is because it seems that i cant use all the features they have since i dont have IPhone or Samsung.

Thanks!
I’m kind of in the same boat. I’ve had the Jabra 65Ts for years and they’ve been very solid. They have average sound and average battery life but rock solid connectivity, build quality and call quality. I keep looking for an upgrade but very few offer multipoint combined with good sound quality. The 75Ts are meant to offer slightly improved sound but vastly improved comfort. The 85Ts seem to be a step back in the sound quality department unfortunately.

My only hope is that the new releases from Sony and Samsung will introduce multipoint this year.

May 16, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #33,288 of 62,151
I can't give you a comparison, but I will confirm that Devialet has fixed the Gemini's battery issues 100%. I also think the new ear tips offer a surprising improvement in fit and seal. For me the core product is excellent and covers all bases. The ANC is very well done, as is transparency mode, and I like that those are simple long-press toggle and that (music) sound remains exactly the same with each while swapping the respective silent and open background. You've read about the sound, but for me what stands out are dynamics and the faithful rendering of instrument timbres. They do not fatigue my ears, even at occasional higher volumes and even after months I still look forward to listening to them.
Agreed - after the firmware update (and the new ear tips), I've very pleased with the Gemini :)

May 16, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #33,289 of 62,151
Interesting. Are you achieving that with Jabra's EQ? I'd be interested to try that out. 100% agree; they're almost muffled with the stock tuning and SoundID (or whatever they call it) didn't help.

After I say this, I may never be able to even buy another ADV product, let alone review one...

If you're choosing a pair that you will only listen to (that means you don't care about call quality, range, app support, firmware updates, etc), then the ADV would blow you away. I get a wireless listening experience that is almost akin to listening to my home stereo with the subwoofer on (in terms of FR). It has stunning, and I mean stunning detail retrieval in the mids while never feeling delicate. There is enough treble to create a convincing stage, but it never hurts, even on bad masters. This pair simply rocks in terms of sound.

My concerns lie where I previously stated; in practical use. I really hope ADV provides a satisfactory answer to my email. That's as much as I'm comfortable saying right now.

The closest match I have to it is the Cambridge Melomania Touch. As @samandhi recommended, they should be a pretty close match to what your ears prefer and the in-app EQ can quite literally be cranked to the max, positive or negative, and not crush the sound quality. It's really impressive.

The MT had a rough start; I bought them simply because I already owned one of their phono stages, was Jonesing for some of the higher-end stuff, and found out they made TWS. I don't think I'd have ever taken their CEO up on that offer to send him any concerns (his email is printed directly on the product box) if I didn't hear some potential in that set. So glad I did. So happy with how much they've improved.

Solid recommendation from me. We are here to help overcome the initial hurdle to enjoying them if you choose to do so.

To start, I sincerely hope you don't intend to go swimming with any of these. Rated or otherwise, that's a very harsh environment to create for your ears. I'd be terrified of water-logging myself.

On the battery drain, it's not an issue at all if they're your only pair or you're using them daily. Where it becomes a problem is when you put them away charged, come back a week later, and find out they're completely drained. I have to think something funky is going on with that Panasonic/Technics firmware that's causing the drain, but it takes a very long time to become a perceived problem unless you're someone like me who already has way too many pairs to rotate through.

I think the Sparks could turn out to be a pretty cool little device. Moondrop has a unique aesthetic and an established reputation in the IEM market for very intelligent tuning. They also make regular rounds through the product threads here, which is always nice to see. What concerns me is their overall size. On the official Moondrop thread, there's a lineup that includes the Spark next to other members of their lineup. They do seem slightly larger than the Kanas Pro, which are already hitting the limits of what my ear shape can handle. For that reason alone, they may not be a wise choice for me.

But I completely agree with you that that they could be an amazing pair for the right person and I applaud Moondrop for taking the risk. I look forward to seeing some impressions here!
Thanks! I am taking yours and @samandhi recommendation and ordering the MT. Waiting to see how the ADV saga plays out... I am also thinking about the Devialet Gemini once they come back in stock...

May 16, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #33,290 of 62,151
Interesting. Are you achieving that with Jabra's EQ? I'd be interested to try that out. 100% agree; they're almost muffled with the stock tuning and SoundID (or whatever they call it) didn't help.

After I say this, I may never be able to even buy another ADV product, let alone review one...

If you're choosing a pair that you will only listen to (that means you don't care about call quality, range, app support, firmware updates, etc), then the ADV would blow you away. I get a wireless listening experience that is almost akin to listening to my home stereo with the subwoofer on (in terms of FR). It has stunning, and I mean stunning detail retrieval in the mids while never feeling delicate. There is enough treble to create a convincing stage, but it never hurts, even on bad masters. This pair simply rocks in terms of sound.

My concerns lie where I previously stated; in practical use. I really hope ADV provides a satisfactory answer to my email. That's as much as I'm comfortable saying right now.

The closest match I have to it is the Cambridge Melomania Touch. As @samandhi recommended, they should be a pretty close match to what your ears prefer and the in-app EQ can quite literally be cranked to the max, positive or negative, and not crush the sound quality. It's really impressive.

The MT had a rough start; I bought them simply because I already owned one of their phono stages, was Jonesing for some of the higher-end stuff, and found out they made TWS. I don't think I'd have ever taken their CEO up on that offer to send him any concerns (his email is printed directly on the product box) if I didn't hear some potential in that set. So glad I did. So happy with how much they've improved.

Solid recommendation from me. We are here to help overcome the initial hurdle to enjoying them if you choose to do so.

To start, I sincerely hope you don't intend to go swimming with any of these. Rated or otherwise, that's a very harsh environment to create for your ears. I'd be terrified of water-logging myself.

On the battery drain, it's not an issue at all if they're your only pair or you're using them daily. Where it becomes a problem is when you put them away charged, come back a week later, and find out they're completely drained. I have to think something funky is going on with that Panasonic/Technics firmware that's causing the drain, but it takes a very long time to become a perceived problem unless you're someone like me who already has way too many pairs to rotate through.

I think the Sparks could turn out to be a pretty cool little device. Moondrop has a unique aesthetic and an established reputation in the IEM market for very intelligent tuning. They also make regular rounds through the product threads here, which is always nice to see. What concerns me is their overall size. On the official Moondrop thread, there's a lineup that includes the Spark next to other members of their lineup. They do seem slightly larger than the Kanas Pro, which are already hitting the limits of what my ear shape can handle. For that reason alone, they may not be a wise choice for me.

But I completely agree with you that that they could be an amazing pair for the right person and I applaud Moondrop for taking the risk. I look forward to seeing some impressions here!
I wouldn't have tried these swimming, but I get a killer discount on jabra products through work so I thought i'd put their 2 year waranty claim to the test. The og 65T had a 2 year dust and water waranty. They're the only pair I was willing to try that with. when I did use them, it was a nice change of pace from the aweful gym music and was able to keep the concha and canal dry.

May 16, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #33,293 of 62,151
The Bowers & Wilkins PI5 is such a frustrating product. Love the sound, the ANC has been great for me, and they fit great. But the connectivity issue just kills the entire experience. I picked mine up at audio46 near Times Square and I kept getting frequent drops. Figured that it was a tough environment for a good bluetooth signal despite having had other TWS work fine there. Get to my neighborhood and I'm still having issues. We're talking about connectivity performance similar to budget TWS from about 2-3 years ago. Get home, and still get a weird clipping when connecting to the app. Do a factory reset and still get the clipping when connecting on the app, but I'm able to listen with no issues for about an hour or two. Fast forward to today and I pull them out to do some listening and I'm getting drops with the phone no more than 3ft (1m) away from me... I don't know if I should wait for a firmware update or if I should just return them now, ugh.
Sounds pretty similar to signal strength with the M5; maybe it's something about the radios they use. I'll see if I can get some details from ADV to help narrow it down.
Actually, I would not have really noticed the drainage if I had not read about it here. what happens (in my case) is if you do not use the buds frequently, after a week or so you might find them drained in a drained case ... so, I basically make sure I charge them before I use them :) I have other buds that can retain charge over months.

Not really a deal breaker iMHO ... the ANC and sound is rather impressive
Mirrors my experience exactly. Fwiw, I checked the case after its initial charge a few days ago and the case still has all 3 bars. I've used it for maybe 30 minutes plus the firmware updates.
Sorry to hear that. My experience with the Model X at least was good in terms of them refunding $$$. Honest crew.
I hope so. They seem friendly enough, which is why I'm trying to reserve judgment. If these are issues that can be worked through, I only see it helping ADV in the long run, anyway.
Thanks! I am taking yours and @samandhi recommendation and ordering the MT. Waiting to see how the ADV saga plays out... I am also thinking about the Devialet Gemini once they come back in stock...
Enjoy the MT first. It's a great pair of TWS that can honestly fit as a daily driver for people now. I still dig mine, even if I think the M5 carries most of the character, but noticably ups the midrange quality.
I wouldn't have tried these swimming, but I get a killer discount on jabra products through work so I thought i'd put their 2 year waranty claim to the test. The og 65T had a 2 year dust and water waranty. They're the only pair I was willing to try that with. when I did use them, it was a nice change of pace from the aweful gym music and was able to keep the concha and canal dry.
Can't break PRs when they're playing Top40 stuff? Glad the 65t have been so bulletproof. Full props to Jabra for caring about the whole experience. It's honestly refreshing.

May 16, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #33,294 of 62,151
Sounds pretty similar to signal strength with the M5; maybe it's something about the radios they use. I'll see if I can get some details from ADV to help narrow it down.

Mirrors my experience exactly. Fwiw, I checked the case after its initial charge a few days ago and the case still has all 3 bars. I've used it for maybe 30 minutes plus the firmware updates.

I hope so. They seem friendly enough, which is why I'm trying to reserve judgment. If these are issues that can be worked through, I only see it helping ADV in the long run, anyway.

Enjoy the MT first. It's a great pair of TWS that can honestly fit as a daily driver for people now. I still dig mine, even if I think the M5 carries most of the character, but noticably ups the midrange quality.

Can't break PRs when they're playing Top40 stuff? Glad the 65t have been so bulletproof. Full props to Jabra for caring about the whole experience. It's honestly refreshing.
Adv will definitely work with you. I had a very pleasant experience with them when my customs were a little loose and when returning them became damaged (on their end). They wound up giving me a gift card but that wasn't good enough and then they also took them back and made a new custom for me. I think they will refund you but dunno if you will be able to change the quality of their product as based on feedback in the telegram channel - they do listen but to what extent is the missing link.

May 16, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #33,295 of 62,151

lol. Sometimes the top40 hits playing is motivation enough to power through a tired morning and get outta there haha.
i've become a big jabra fan as of late. I also use an Evolve 2 85 for work and it's a battery champ. plus being able to blare music and coworkers not hearing it while i'm talking to them is a huge perk. Edit, blaring from a Google Home or other speakers while i'm in a meeting or on a call with them.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #33,296 of 62,151
Big MT fan. After trying a few tip alternatives, back to the OEM large tips. Fit is everything; you get that right with the MTs, you won’t be disappointed.

May 17, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #33,297 of 62,151
Big MT fan. After trying a few tip alternatives, back to the OEM large tips. Fit is everything; you get that right with the MTs, you won’t be disappointed.
On that note, keep in mind also that these are not like typical IEMs that insert deep into your ears. They sit more on the outside and just seal up the hole. I think this is the reason that they can be polarizing with a lot of people. I had a heck of a time getting them to fit correctly in the beginning. Once I switched to the Spinfit CP360s, they became very comfortable, and they sealed correctly.

It is not so much that they didn't fit correctly with the stock tips per se'. It was more that they did seal, but if you smiled, or yawned, or turned your head it would break the seal. This has been fixed with the longer Spinfits. Also keep in mind that you can't just tip roll with these "willy nilly". Regular tips will fit, but they will be too long and will cause the buds to not fit into the case for charging properly. The MT do seem to follow the standard for TWS tips though, so any of those (and a few that are not like the Spinfits) will work. Don't even bother with foams unless you plan on trimming them down.

May 17, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #33,298 of 62,151
On that note, keep in mind also that these are not like typical IEMs that insert deep into your ears. They sit more on the outside and just seal up the hole. I think this is the reason that they can be polarizing with a lot of people. I had a heck of a time getting them to fit correctly in the beginning. Once I switched to the Spinfit CP360s, they became very comfortable, and they sealed correctly.

It is not so much that they didn't fit correctly with the stock tips per se'. It was more that they did seal, but if you smiled, or yawned, or turned your head it would break the seal. This has been fixed with the longer Spinfits. Also keep in mind that you can't just tip roll with these "willy nilly". Regular tips will fit, but they will be too long and will cause the buds to not fit into the case for charging properly. The MT do seem to follow the standard for TWS tips though, so any of those (and a few that are not like the Spinfits) will work. Don't even bother with foams unless you plan on trimming them down.
Foam does not typically last as long as silicone either. It ends up costing more in the long run to buy a new pair of foam every 3-5 months. Silicone is easier clean as well.

May 17, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #33,299 of 62,151
Has a listen to the lypertek z7. Wasn't impressed. The highs and mids sound compressed, it does connect to my Sony Xperia 5 ii in aptx adaptive though. The buds are pretty big and bulge out quite a bit from the ears. The case is big, I find it unnecessarily long and bulky.

In the same shop though, there was the Shanling mtw 300. Had a listen to it and was impressed. It sounds like a more refined Fiil t1 pro. Has all the controls and supports left or right single bud usage. The sound doesn't down mix into mono when a single ear bud is in use. The case is made out of metal and the buds are comfortable.

C35cPB6.jpg

May 17, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #33,300 of 62,151
The Bowers & Wilkins PI5 is such a frustrating product. Love the sound, the ANC has been great for me, and they fit great. But the connectivity issue just kills the entire experience. I picked mine up at audio46 near Times Square and I kept getting frequent drops. Figured that it was a tough environment for a good bluetooth signal despite having had other TWS work fine there. Get to my neighborhood and I'm still having issues. We're talking about connectivity performance similar to budget TWS from about 2-3 years ago. Get home, and still get a weird clipping when connecting to the app. Do a factory reset and still get the clipping when connecting on the app, but I'm able to listen with no issues for about an hour or two. Fast forward to today and I pull them out to do some listening and I'm getting drops with the phone no more than 3ft (1m) away from me... I don't know if I should wait for a firmware update or if I should just return them now, ugh.
This is so strange, I have the PI7 and can walk to the next room in my house and still listen to music. No cutting out, no drops, I've maybe had 40hours of listening time so far. Plenty of time in the busy streets of the city too. Pretty flawless experience, like you, I adore the sound.

As some people are having a seamless experience I can't see it being firmware, it's possible but would be odd. Sounds more like a faulty device.

The only occassional issue I've had is for some reason one bud doesn't play music and I put them back into the case. Weirdly, I get the exact same thing with my airpods pro sometimes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back