Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 9, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #33,016 of 62,422
Personally I don't think you should compare ordinary tws with these tws adapters...

A True-Wireless earbud is all about convenience and portability, the earbuds are small, the case is small, you got features like ANC/ambient mode which is awesome when you're out and about.

Whereas true-wireless adapters like the UTWS3/CF01 are big and bulky (both case and the actual adapter), there's also no ANC/ambient mode. Obviously they will sound much better since ordinary IEMS dont need to make room for all various tech components like a tws. There's also plenty of space in the actual adapters for better amps etc.

They're two completely different products.
Agreed. Mentioning them without saying what IEMs they’re driving for the comparison seems even less relevant.

May 9, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #33,017 of 62,422
In case of interest to anyone the M&D MW07 Plus in the Nike KD13 colours are currently 50% off direct from M&D with the code HYPE. I have a pair inbound in the U.K. for £114.50 delivered.
Thanks for the heads up, after ruminating for ages on whether I can justify the £279 for the MW08 these seem an absolute steal. Also went for the slim reaper as the most subtle of them all (it’s all relative 😂). Looking forward to trying these out.

May 9, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #33,018 of 62,422
Thanks for the heads up, after ruminating for ages on whether I can justify the £279 for the MW08 these seem an absolute steal. Also went for the slim reaper as the most subtle of them all (it’s all relative 😂). Looking forward to trying these out.
They’re great tws. I had the GO for a while which are identical, they have an interesting and very punchy signature. Ideal for workouts. At £115 its a heck of a deal tbh.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #33,019 of 62,422
The new WF-1000XM4?!

57D8466F-1E6C-4EF0-A426-AF239A962EFD.jpeg

329A3D99-D44A-472F-B9B1-DCDBBD057858.jpeg

7661AB60-6D5B-4EC3-9EE8-FD4DA2D5464D.jpeg

EBC1FEED-B3A5-4AC5-AA06-5E72FD46ED79.jpeg

4A982BBA-100A-4A26-BB18-61FA350CB469.jpeg

I liked the new design, if it’s true.

source : https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2021/05/sony-wf-1000xm4-full-design-leaked.html?m=1

May 9, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #33,020 of 62,422
Feels quite nice to finally be pleased by my CA MT :) I'll keep these until Bluetooth audio Le/LC3 finally arrives. I hope that Cambridge Audio makes a new version of the MT touch with LC3/ANC, I really like their "house sound".

Glad you’re enjoying them. I too am eager for what’s coming...

May 9, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #33,021 of 62,422
May 9, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #33,022 of 62,422
The only thing I don't like is that they should probably have a button as well as the touch control. Are they gonna leave off volume control again like the XM3 with track controls on right and ambient/ANC/answer calls on the left.
Yeah, I’m guessing that too. One more thing, the XM4 are using looks like a foam tips if you looked at the pictures, it is likely that the XM4 have a brighter sound vs the XM3, but still we have to see and hear the final product.

May 9, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #33,023 of 62,422
The only thing I don't like is that they should probably have a button as well as the touch control. Are they gonna leave off volume control again like the XM3 with track controls on right and ambient/ANC/answer calls on the left.
Has it already been established LDAC will not be onboard ?

May 9, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #33,024 of 62,422
Personally I don't think you should compare ordinary tws with these tws adapters...

A True-Wireless earbud is all about convenience and portability, the earbuds are small, the case is small, you got features like ANC/ambient mode which is awesome when you're out and about.

Whereas true-wireless adapters like the UTWS3/CF01 are big and bulky (both case and the actual adapter), there's also no ANC/ambient mode. Obviously they will sound much better since ordinary IEMS dont need to make room for all various tech components like a tws. There's also plenty of space in the actual adapters for better amps etc.

I’m gonna push back a little here. These adapters are truly wireless. There’s no cable tethering you to your source or tethering the earbuds to each other, making them a heck of a lot more convenient. And you can pick your favorite iem’s.
Now on the continuum of truly wireless earbuds, are they less convenient and less feature-rich than made to order TWS? Yep. But I contend they absolutely belong in a discussion of truly wireless earbuds, and I’m thankful for the proponents who have chimed in.

May 9, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #33,025 of 62,422
I’m gonna push back a little here. These adapters are truly wireless. There’s no cable tethering you to your source or tethering the earbuds to each other, making them a heck of a lot more convenient. And you can pick your favorite iem’s.
Now on the continuum of truly wireless earbuds, are they less convenient and less feature-rich than made to order TWS? Yep. But I contend they absolutely belong in a discussion of truly wireless earbuds, and I’m thankful for the proponents who have chimed in.
I definitely think they should be included in this discussion. And while they are somewhat different products, comparisons are fair even though I think the adapters are niche products. Depending on someone’s priorities, an adapter plus iem may be the best tws experience for them. For me personally, I do prefer the all in convenience of the tws products over the adapters. I find myself going wired with iems even though I have the adapters but some of the more recent posts have me considering trying one of these newer adapters. As technology improves, regular tws may approach the sound quality of the adapter combos while at the same time the adapters will get even better. Will be fun to watch things develop.

In any event, the broader the discussion here the better and there is room for both.

May 9, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #33,026 of 62,422
I'm pleased to see the ibasso CF01 finally getting some attention on the forum - I'm using them in combination with their IT00's and I have to say that they really are rather remarkable.

Whilst admittedly they're bulky - especially the case, but once you're wearing them they really are just like standard TWS Earbuds except that tend to have a more secure fit due to their form factor.

Power output is insane and the sound quality is very pure and accurate in my opinion. I just wish they had better controls - benefits from being used with a smartwatch.

May 9, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #33,027 of 62,422
Sony added volume control in one of the XM3 FW updates. Then had to config in headphone connect app. It was choose ANC or volume control on left side.

May 9, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #33,028 of 62,422

And that's why I'm going to be working on getting a UTWS3 into the stable. Really curious to see the differences in approach to control scheme, ergonomics, and amplification. Might be a while, though. I've definitely gone hog-wild on the new stuff lately.

Yeah, sonically, this is a one-sided fist fight. The genuine TWS products are far more feature-rich (usually) and I do find it irritating that there is currently no way to do firmware updates on the CF01, nor do I see any indication of that changing soon.
Thanks buddy. I'm sure the ire on that OT/derailment is aimed at me. I'll work on finding a middle. Maybe just link the impressions directly to the related IEM page or something.
I'm pleased to see the ibasso CF01 finally getting some attention on the forum - I'm using them in combination with their IT00's and I have to say that they really are rather remarkable.

Whilst admittedly they're bulky - especially the case, but once you're wearing them they really are just like standard TWS Earbuds except that tend to have a more secure fit due to their form factor.

Power output is insane and the sound quality is very pure and accurate in my opinion. I just wish they had better controls - benefits from being used with a smartwatch.
What's funny is I find the case bulky, but the adapters absolutely aren't. They're really small. The braided wire earhook is perfectly comfortable, even for those with glasses. Helps me to remind them it's basically a replacement for the cable with a built-in microphone and a couple buttons that I can occasionally use for limited controls.

But these can hang with the rest in terms of usability. I just spent hours yesterday detailing a car with the P1 plugged into the CF01 and never once did they budge, slip out, fall off the ears, or give me any discomfort. No neckband in the past has been capable of doing this for me, and certainly not with this much power.

I'll spare the suspense on whether the CF01 can drive the P1. Yes it can, with caveats. I'll take the caveats to the P1 page if preferred, or can answer them here for any curious. It's going to be a mixed bag for some, dealbreaker for others, and a "sign me up" for even others.

But it gives the DK-3001 Pro/CF01 combo a serious run for its money (and surpasses in some regards). You will darn near max out headroom, but you can definitely pull it off.

Would have written this sooner, but been working behind the scenes with @samandhi to make sure this testing is done as fairly as possible and we've learned a thing or two about sending any BT signal out in the process. That sort of stuff we'll be very pleased to share in the upcoming days.

But today is Mother's Day in the states (and hopefully abroad), compounded with Nurses' Week. As my wife is both and out of my tremendous respect for her, today goes to anything she needs. I wish ALL of the mothers out there a very happy Mother's Day and all those who put their lives (and sanity) on the line in the name of healthcare the best darn Nurses' Week anybody can get. May your admin thank you genuinely, keep the donuts at home for a change, and show you your proper dues.

I mean you've already been through the gauntlet for a year already...

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #33,029 of 62,422
I definitely think they should be included in this discussion. And while they are somewhat different products, comparisons are fair even though I think the adapters are niche products. Depending on someone’s priorities, an adapter plus iem may be the best tws experience for them. For me personally, I do prefer the all in convenience of the tws products over the adapters. I find myself going wired with iems even though I have the adapters but some of the more recent posts have me considering trying one of these newer adapters. As technology improves, regular tws may approach the sound quality of the adapter combos while at the same time the adapters will get even better. Will be fun to watch things develop.

In any event, the broader the discussion here the better and there is room for both.
I've been preferring the sound of the TWS adapters over wired tbh. I think the synergy plays a huge part and I don't notice a drop in sound quality really.

The UTWS3 for example is very high quality and pairs excellently with the Dusk and ZAX. The BT20S pro is very good as well and pairs better with EST 112 and P1.

I still prefer using my Hip DAC for the P1 just because it can drive them to louder volumes. But for the rest of my IEMs, I've been solely using them with TWS adapters.

Also ANC/ambient mode aren't important features for me unless I'm in a really noisy environment like a plane. But I have the old Sony WH-1000xm2 for that.

Listening to the UTWS3 and ZAX combo yesterday, I thought sounded just as good if not better than some of the $1k+ headphone rigs I've setup in the past.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #33,030 of 62,422
Thanks buddy. I'm sure the ire on that OT/derailment is aimed at me. I'll work on finding a middle. Maybe just link the impressions directly to the related IEM page or something.
I think that as long as you are keeping with the true nature of the title of the thread, and are conveying your thoughts (and discussions) about the adaptors, and not as much about the IEMs, then you are following the topic that was intended (if not at least the spirit of the original thought). Because, while I do agree with @C_Lindbergh that they are different and there is no comparison sonically, I don't believe that they are so different that they don't warrant discussion on here. After all "true wireless" is true wireless regardless the shape they take.

I have a feeling that as these TWS adaptors become more popular, they will start adding things like ANC and Passthrough. The only reason they haven't yet IMO is because these adaptors are more targeted to the discerned listener (and a niche market), and not so much the people out and about on their daily lives. When companies find that there is a market for such things, they will be added to increase their profit margins, and remain competitive (and relevant) .

I don't think that these will ever replace TWS earbuds, or the other way around either. I think there will always be a market for both, and TWS IEMs will catch up to the adaptors in sound quality at some point. With the bright idea of removing headphone jacks from (most) all phones, there will even be new innovations that we might not have considered to this point. TWS have a head-start on these adaptors in a way. TWS was starting to become a thing even before headphone jacks were removed. Now that more and more people are forced to either carry more than one device around, or go BT, there is a need for everything wireless.

True audiophiles won't bock at spending $1k for just one piece of equipment, but there is a growing number of audiophiles that are more of a hybrid animal. They still crave the quality in sound, but are looking more for avenues that save them some money, time, conveniences, etc... BT in general has not quite caught up with wired sound, but the gap is closing, and IMO these adaptors are an important step in helping to close this gap.

It is also my opinion that as long as we keep the discussion going, the word gets out, and they are not forgotten. Which means that companies will green light new projects, and more innovation. I would argue that this site in general (Head-Fi) is a pretty important tool for companies to get feedback on what is trending, what works well, tech used, etc (not that it is the ONLY site out there, but important nonetheless)...

Sorry to make this so long! I just wanted to share my thoughts, and I hope I have not offended anyone?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back