Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 8, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #31,666 of 63,212
Based on all my rankings
If you want great all arounders then T1pro, Freebuds pro, Jabra would be my top choices.

If ANC isn't important the JBL and MT T1 pro would be tops for sound alone

Bassheads go for Jabra, MT JBL, L2P

Treble heads go for Sony buds pro or Technics

Balanced goes to T1pro Mtw2,JBL freebuds pro
Have you heard the MW07? Any impressions on those versus the JBL? Rtings liked the JBL but didn’t think they were mind blowing or anything.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #31,667 of 63,212
Anybody have the Status Between Pro yet? Assuming I return the MT, am wondering how they sound, if they have any glitches of their own?
Might replace my MT with them.
I've had a pair for a month, and IMHO they are the closest to listening to full-sized phones I have heard so far. I've owned many brands/models of TW phones (Sony, Senn, Nuarl ... a half dozen more) and returned or sold them. Now down to the MTs and the M1+ along with the Oluv-tuned Earfun Free Pro (not bad, but I wish I had not bought them). The BPs offer the best sound of what I've heard. I have had no issues so far otherwise, considering I got them early on Indiegogo for $79. You've seen the Youtube reviews, and I agree with El Jefe, Gamesky, EBPMan, TechRadar and soundstagesolo.com on these. Perfect? No. But they all like the Between Pros very much. I am not one who cares much about call quality, so I can't comment on that. But overall, I find them to be a very fine, fun listening experience. Unless I have durability/connection issues with the Between Pros, they are not going anywhere. And Status, to me, is a solid company. I absolutely love their relatively inexpensive BT-1 on-ear phones, so I had some prior experience with their sound quality offering.

Oh, and I am not returning the MTs either, I also find them to be very good price to performance-wise, got them for $129. They connect and stay connected I did send back my first pair for those reasons (connection), but whatever they did worked for the pair I own. And I also love the CA M1+ as well. My three TW pairs still here.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #31,668 of 63,212
Have you heard the MW07? Any impressions on those versus the JBL? Rtings liked the JBL but didn’t think they were mind blowing or anything.
Rtings reviews take with grain of salt and read the fine print. They test with SBC and don't adjust the equalizer. JBL has best equalizer out there which makes these buds go from meh to great!

Have not heard the mwo7 am tempted on the plus model which is being sold at Costco for great price but based on poor anc I am not sure what they add over my current stable.
The mw08 sound intriguing but cost is a bit high for me.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #31,670 of 63,212
Anybody have the Status Between Pro yet? Assuming I return the MT, am wondering how they sound, if they have any glitches of their own?
Might replace my MT with them.
Still waiting. The rep on their Indiegogo campaign insists they'll fulfill all orders this month, so we'll see.

Think I'm going to mellow out on TWS for a while. Had some money burning in my pocket, but couldn't bring myself to pick up any of the big players (Grado, KEF, KLH, etc). Probably sitting in that "waiting for the next generation" camp along with some others here, especially with regard to bandwidth stability on aptX Adaptive. Really wish I could take advantage of that on the Noble Falcon Pro, but it's practically codec-driven distortion hades any time I try to use it. Have even had a OnePlus 8T update since and that didn't seem to help at all.

Happy with the MT's performance now that I figured out Location Services was the major culprit there. I still love its sound signature and think it does a phenomenal job of flirting with "warm" and not venturing into "dark" territory quite like the MW07 GO did with stock tips. HearThrough works superb, latency is fantastic, resolution is great for the price, and the in-app EQ is more than robust enough for most listeners. Might be a bold claim, but I see them as the current 99 Classics of the TWS space. Comfy? Check. Sounds great? Check. Good-looking? Check.

I probably find myself rotating most between the MT, NFP, and Technics AZ70W at this point. @Canabuc and I seem to have different preferences as I'm positively smitten with the Technics. I find it to be fairly bass-accurate, but can see why others would consider them bass-light. If I need that extension on the top and bottom ends, I'll reach for the Noble. Warmth? I'm going with the Cambridge MT. I could rotate through all three of these just based on what I think my ears need/want at the time and not feel like I'm missing out at this point. Might toss in the JBL as a wildcard from time to time.

The UEs, while very good, really only come out when I know I'll be moving around a bunch and not taking any calls; I favor its fit over just about every other feature and have received criticism on how I sounded over the phone on more than one occasion; I have a feeling that my longer hair causes the microphones to go haywire, so that may not affect you as much.

I still stand by my recommendation for the Noble Falcon 1 for a sub-$100 choice, though it's certainly a crowded space of similarly-competent pairs. Don't think any of them quite have the curb appeal of those backlit Noble shells, though. Still, you've heard plenty of suggestions for the Fiil T1 Pro as well. The Earfun Free Pro is still my favorite tiny bud, especially at its price bracket, but I've just found myself spoiled by the other items in the stable; eventually I'll sit down and really dial in EQ to see if I can get rid of that stubborn midbass bloom without losing all of my impact cues.

It's honestly the Sennheiser CX400BT that somewhat sits in that no-man's land where I can't really give it a solid recommendation. Sound signature is great, but the stock tips didn't work for me and, with a nozzle that small, you're pretty limited on aftermarket pairs you can use. It's the comfort I can't get past and I just could not get it to fit in a way that didn't generate hotspots on my outer ears. I understand the lack of supporting features is made up with the MTW2, but I really think the 400BT needed HearThrough at a minimum, especially with those comfort concerns. Having to take these things in and out of my ear constantly to hold a conversation leads to early ear fatigue, something I think is impossible to ignore at any price point.

So what's next? Well, the R5 and WH3 are set to arrive tomorrow. Edifier TWS1 Pro are still sitting in the ether and have been since they allegedly got stateside late March. Status is supposed to finish shipping all of their existing Between Pro orders by the end of the month.

Until then: Hurry Up and Wait
Rtings can be weird with their overall impressions sometimes. Fwiw I have yet to find one of their AutoEQ curves that doesn't sound funky to my ears. My guess is they have a specific preference and they're fiercely loyal to it. In terms of overall signature, I guess I can see why Rtings was underwhelmed, but here's what my ears hear:
  • Sub-bass - Well-extended, good decay, not overpowering
  • Bass - Refined, accurate, fast for a DD
  • Midbass - One of the higher points on this set IMO. Has a good amount of impact without blooming into the mids. Very Harman-esque
  • Midrange - Just fine. Not the most articulate pair out there, but worthy of being in the upper tiers for TWS. Hifiman probably have them beat hardcore here
  • Upper Midrange - Neither honky nor boxy. Just what I like. Sennheiser pulls the edge on vocal timbres, but the JBL pull ahead in fast transient response and a much smoother midrange overall. Will get sharp on material that was recorded hot, but it has to be really hot. These are fairly forgiving of bad source material.
  • Treble - Extends better than most TWS. Not much to write about, but you get a good sense of air in between instruments
If you're familiar at all with how JBL pro audio gear sounds, you can kinda get an idea for how the Club Pro+ are tuned. The average Joe is going to put them in and say "wow, these are really clean" and probably not have much else in descriptors. In my opinion, though, the Club Pro+ are a cut above in terms of technical ability and would definitely fit well in your rotation. The EQ is JBL's real hidden weapon, but I'm such a fan of its stock tuning that all I've really done with it is create a flat EQ that's +4dB over neutral. Helps with volume control when things get louder outside. Also has one of the better AAC implementations I've come across and it doesn't seem to suffer from the same occasional grain that the Technics can pull out of material.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #31,671 of 63,212
I've had a pair for a month, and IMHO they are the closest to listening to full-sized phones I have heard so far. I've owned many brands/models of TW phones (Sony, Senn, Nuarl ... a half dozen more) and returned or sold them. Now down to the MTs and the M1+ along with the Oluv-tuned Earfun Free Pro (not bad, but I wish I had not bought them). The BPs offer the best sound of what I've heard. I have had no issues so far otherwise, considering I got them early on Indiegogo for $79. You've seen the Youtube reviews, and I agree with El Jefe, Gamesky, EBPMan, TechRadar and soundstagesolo.com on these. Perfect? No. But they all like the Between Pros very much. I am not one who cares much about call quality, so I can't comment on that. But overall, I find them to be a very fine, fun listening experience. Unless I have durability/connection issues with the Between Pros, they are not going anywhere. And Status, to me, is a solid company. I absolutely love their relatively inexpensive BT-1 on-ear phones, so I had some prior experience with their sound quality offering.

Oh, and I am not returning the MTs either, I also find them to be very good price to performance-wise, got them for $129. They connect and stay connected I did send back my first pair for those reasons (connection), but whatever they did worked for the pair I own. And I also love the CA M1+ as well. My three TW pairs still here.
My concern with the BP are they look very bulky in that they stick far out of the ears. I would keep 1 of them or MT so am wondering how they compare sound wise.

As for the online reviewers you mentioned I have stated before that I don't trust reviews when the merchandise is free and you get paid by affiliate purchases.
They all love the Liberty air 2 pro also which may have been the fastest I have ever returned earbuds.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #31,672 of 63,212
They all love the Liberty air 2 pro also which may have been the fastest I have ever returned earbuds.
So does my son and I even gifted him the MW07 GO. He gives both an equal amount of listening, too.

Some people just prefer that type of tuning and I thought it was configurable enough to keep around. Things dramatically improve after running SoundID as well. Not trying to detract from your opinions of donated audio gear; it's an issue every reviewer faces as well. Heck, I've paid for everything I've got here and I still can't put the words together to describe them sometimes.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #31,673 of 63,212
Still waiting. The rep on their Indiegogo campaign insists they'll fulfill all orders this month, so we'll see.

Think I'm going to mellow out on TWS for a while. Had some money burning in my pocket, but couldn't bring myself to pick up any of the big players (Grado, KEF, KLH, etc). Probably sitting in that "waiting for the next generation" camp along with some others here, especially with regard to bandwidth stability on aptX Adaptive. Really wish I could take advantage of that on the Noble Falcon Pro, but it's practically codec-driven distortion hades any time I try to use it. Have even had a OnePlus 8T update since and that didn't seem to help at all.

Happy with the MT's performance now that I figured out Location Services was the major culprit there. I still love its sound signature and think it does a phenomenal job of flirting with "warm" and not venturing into "dark" territory quite like the MW07 GO did with stock tips. HearThrough works superb, latency is fantastic, resolution is great for the price, and the in-app EQ is more than robust enough for most listeners. Might be a bold claim, but I see them as the current 99 Classics of the TWS space. Comfy? Check. Sounds great? Check. Good-looking? Check.

I probably find myself rotating most between the MT, NFP, and Technics AZ70W at this point. @Canabuc and I seem to have different preferences as I'm positively smitten with the Technics. I find it to be fairly bass-accurate, but can see why others would consider them bass-light. If I need that extension on the top and bottom ends, I'll reach for the Noble. Warmth? I'm going with the Cambridge MT. I could rotate through all three of these just based on what I think my ears need/want at the time and not feel like I'm missing out at this point. Might toss in the JBL as a wildcard from time to time.

The UEs, while very good, really only come out when I know I'll be moving around a bunch and not taking any calls; I favor its fit over just about every other feature and have received criticism on how I sounded over the phone on more than one occasion; I have a feeling that my longer hair causes the microphones to go haywire, so that may not affect you as much.

I still stand by my recommendation for the Noble Falcon 1 for a sub-$100 choice, though it's certainly a crowded space of similarly-competent pairs. Don't think any of them quite have the curb appeal of those backlit Noble shells, though. Still, you've heard plenty of suggestions for the Fiil T1 Pro as well. The Earfun Free Pro is still my favorite tiny bud, especially at its price bracket, but I've just found myself spoiled by the other items in the stable; eventually I'll sit down and really dial in EQ to see if I can get rid of that stubborn midbass bloom without losing all of my impact cues.

It's honestly the Sennheiser CX400BT that somewhat sits in that no-man's land where I can't really give it a solid recommendation. Sound signature is great, but the stock tips didn't work for me and, with a nozzle that small, you're pretty limited on aftermarket pairs you can use. It's the comfort I can't get past and I just could not get it to fit in a way that didn't generate hotspots on my outer ears. I understand the lack of supporting features is made up with the MTW2, but I really think the 400BT needed HearThrough at a minimum, especially with those comfort concerns. Having to take these things in and out of my ear constantly to hold a conversation leads to early ear fatigue, something I think is impossible to ignore at any price point.

So what's next? Well, the R5 and WH3 are set to arrive tomorrow. Edifier TWS1 Pro are still sitting in the ether and have been since they allegedly got stateside late March. Status is supposed to finish shipping all of their existing Between Pro orders by the end of the month.

Until then: Hurry Up and Wait

Rtings can be weird with their overall impressions sometimes. Fwiw I have yet to find one of their AutoEQ curves that doesn't sound funky to my ears. My guess is they have a specific preference and they're fiercely loyal to it. In terms of overall signature, I guess I can see why Rtings was underwhelmed, but here's what my ears hear:
  • Sub-bass - Well-extended, good decay, not overpowering
  • Bass - Refined, accurate, fast for a DD
  • Midbass - One of the higher points on this set IMO. Has a good amount of impact without blooming into the mids. Very Harman-esque
  • Midrange - Just fine. Not the most articulate pair out there, but worthy of being in the upper tiers for TWS. Hifiman probably have them beat hardcore here
  • Upper Midrange - Neither honky nor boxy. Just what I like. Sennheiser pulls the edge on vocal timbres, but the JBL pull ahead in fast transient response and a much smoother midrange overall. Will get sharp on material that was recorded hot, but it has to be really hot. These are fairly forgiving of bad source material.
  • Treble - Extends better than most TWS. Not much to write about, but you get a good sense of air in between instruments
If you're familiar at all with how JBL pro audio gear sounds, you can kinda get an idea for how the Club Pro+ are tuned. The average Joe is going to put them in and say "wow, these are really clean" and probably not have much else in descriptors. In my opinion, though, the Club Pro+ are a cut above in terms of technical ability and would definitely fit well in your rotation. The EQ is JBL's real hidden weapon, but I'm such a fan of its stock tuning that all I've really done with it is create a flat EQ that's +4dB over neutral. Helps with volume control when things get louder outside. Also has one of the better AAC implementations I've come across and it doesn't seem to suffer from the same occasional grain that the Technics can pull out of material.
You definitely have me intrigued and I need a new toy. Be nice to find them on sale.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #31,675 of 63,212
You definitely have me intrigued and I need a new toy. Be nice to find them on sale.
They're really good. When I was putting them through the paces, this track stuck out to be as particularly fun on the JBL. That sub-bass energy can be infectious.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #31,676 of 63,212
So does my son and I even gifted him the MW07 GO. He gives both an equal amount of listening, too.

Some people just prefer that type of tuning and I thought it was configurable enough to keep around. Things dramatically improve after running SoundID as well. Not trying to detract from your opinions of donated audio gear; it's an issue every reviewer faces as well. Heck, I've paid for everything I've got here and I still can't put the words together to describe them sometimes.
Actually if you look at my opinion of the Technics most of my criticism is the case battery life and low volume. I find they shine in the mids but lack enough Bass that music outside of vocals sounds lifeless.
And no it's not because I am a basshead. The Sony and buds pro from Samsung have great Treble and livelier sound without being Bass heavy.

As for libertry air 2 pro. They lacked volume were uncomfortable with every tip. Poor as he'll battery life with anc. The sound seemed to have good mids but tinny Treble and bass was not good either. I would not recommend them over any warbud I mentioned and there are many new budget anc earbuds out now that are much better at half the price.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #31,678 of 63,212
Sony WF-1000xm4 has been certified with Bluetooth 5.2 but no aptx/aptx HD. Seems they may be going for LDAC, and I'm sure it will have AAC/SBC.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-S...les-out-aptX-or-aptX-HD-support.531036.0.html

Supposedly the new MT2822 is on a new manufacturing process so should improved power efficiency, if this will be enough to provide decent battery life with LDAC is unknown.

I will mention this, Sony did toy with adding LDAC to the wf-1000xm3 during the development, but the play time with LDAC was rather poor and the main complaints about the wf-1000x was the mediocre battery life and Sony didn't want to repeat that, so LDAC was left out.

What the notebookcheck article does not mention is that the wf-1000xm4 model on the FCC is labelled as a prototype rather than pre-production, which is interesting as all previous sony TWS models were pre-production. Maybe covid is to blame, who knows.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #31,679 of 63,212
New firmware releasing for MT soon according to CA customer support. I contacted them due to volume automatically dropping in half when I initially play music the first time after I put them on. That's when I was told of new firmware releasing very soon.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #31,680 of 63,212
Actually if you look at my opinion of the Technics most of my criticism is the case battery life and low volume. I find they shine in the mids but lack enough Bass that music outside of vocals sounds lifeless.
And no it's not because I am a basshead. The Sony and buds pro from Samsung have great Treble and livelier sound without being Bass heavy.

As for libertry air 2 pro. They lacked volume were uncomfortable with every tip. Poor as he'll battery life with anc. The sound seemed to have good mids but tinny Treble and bass was not good either. I would not recommend them over any warbud I mentioned and there are many new budget anc earbuds out now that are much better at half the price.
We can agree to disagree. I found plenty of rewarding qualities with the Soundcore and things get remarkably better once you've gone through the SoundID tuning. I know comfort can be an issue with those; they're a unique fit. Guess they worked just fine for my ears. I also have zero issues with the Technics' battery life or output volume. They're fantastic once ANC is on and I usually just throw on HearThrough for the free midbass lift it provides. Haven't charged them up in two weeks and they're still at 2/3 on the case battery indicator. All on stock tips, by the way. In each case, it took time to elicit the wow moments and I found more of those with the Technics, to be quite honest. It's unapologetically a 90s living room Hi-Fi kinda sound. Not going to be everybody's preference.

It sounds to me like you favor a V-shaped signature. I know you've mentioned wanting a W or U from time to time, but I honestly think you'd be happier with better-tuned V-shaped pairs. that doesn't imply you're a basshead, but I think you need to be realistic with what your sound preferences are. It'll help narrow down what to spend your money on later, rather than hopping on whatever flavor of the week has run rampant through the internet circles. I used to think I wanted neutral. Neutral, neutral, neutral. Nope. I wanted natural and I'm a timbre fanatic over just about everything else. Took me over a decade and a lot of money that could have been used better had I been more honest with myself about what I wanted. Please don't take this as a negative; definitely not meant that way.
New firmware releasing for MT soon according to CA customer support. I contacted them due to volume automatically dropping in half when I initially play music the first time after I put them on. That's when I was told of new firmware releasing very soon.
Always down for improvements. Thanks for the update!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back