Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 24, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #31,142 of 62,382
I've been a Bose fan for many years and have owned various products that are really good quality and have lasted. However, the rubber on the original SSF is an exception to that and is a common issue but Bose has not owned up to it. The left side of mine have broken off and the way they designed it is with a plastic piece under it so now I can't activate the button on my left bud. Fantastic sound and I really enjoyed them and had been considering their Sport or QC but am now hesitant as I'm concerned they're using the same rubber formula.

Aside from the bug you mentioned, their Bluetooth implementation is quirky on a few of their devices; even though they're supposed to be "off", I always see the SSF and the Revolve+ as being available for pairing (not so with their 700 at least).

This isn't meant to be a rant, I'm still enjoying a bunch of their products - just sharing experiences FWIW.
It's interesting, I never had trouble with the rubber on the SSF .. my first pair 'died' of some battery / charging failure and I was not able to claim warranty, that was well within the first year. But I liked them so much, I bought them again, and this set as well has charging quirks, basically I need to watch them charge with open case ... other wise they stop blinking (and thus charging) after 3 blinks ... my guess is that somehow there is the wrong 'I am done charging' feedback given.
Still, I enjoy them so much that I keep doing that and keep running with them
Can't say my Jabra Elite Sport lasted that long, they, too, had charging issues / playing music while in case and such. Got them replaced once, but then eventually they just died ...

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #31,143 of 62,382
Received my Fiil T1 Pro's yesterday from AliExpress (which was hella fast considering I ordered them March 8). I really dig the sound, ever so much more than the Earfun Free Pro. I knew going in that to unlock all the goodies of this set I'd need the Chinese app. What I didn't know was 1) that I couldn't do ANYTHING save play/pause without the app; and 2) that the app is sort of a pain in the ass to get on iOS.

I could wait and hope Fiil update the global app, but I think these are going on the auction block. I like them quite a bit: they sound great, fit great, wireless charging, etc., but I'd rather recoup some of the $70, as I'm more likely to keep using the Jabra 75t's as my daily driver.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #31,144 of 62,382
For those who hopped on the refurb'd EA75t, wanted to share something that might not be readily obvious given that no manual was provided (and not that one is really needed for the most part given the excellent app albeit this wasn't covered in the app though - EDIT: Actually it's covered in the Quick Start Guide but can't be changed in MyControls).

If you press and hold the respective buttons: L will decrease volume, R will increase it. Excellent! Can't say enough about how much I'm enjoying these - aside from the SQ, the controls were just so well thought out both in functionality and customization flexibility. I also much prefer buttons over touch controls and the pressure is just right so that it doesn't require a lot of force (thus potentially breaking the seal of the tips) but yet provides enough haptic feedback giving assurance on your executions. Kudos to whoever designed these!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #31,145 of 62,382
For those who hopped on the refurb'd EA75t, wanted to share something that might not be readily obvious given that no manual was provided (and not that one is really needed for the most part given the excellent app albeit this wasn't covered in the app though).

If you press and hold the respective buttons: L will decrease volume, R will increase it. Excellent! Can't say enough about how much I'm enjoying these - aside from the SQ, the controls were just so well thought out both in functionality and customization flexibility. I also much prefer buttons over touch controls and the pressure is just right so that it doesn't require a lot of force (thus potentially breaking the seal of the tips) but yet provides enough haptic feedback giving assurance on your executions. Kudos to whoever designed these!
Definitely two thumbs up on 'em. My personal favorite part about the EA75t is the non-slip coating they've used for the shell. These don't budge once they're in, which is exceptionally awesome because they don't have fins/wings, either.

Suppose it's one of the better-kept secrets in Jabra-land.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #31,146 of 62,382
Received my Fiil T1 Pro's yesterday from AliExpress (which was hella fast considering I ordered them March 8). I really dig the sound, ever so much more than the Earfun Free Pro. I knew going in that to unlock all the goodies of this set I'd need the Chinese app. What I didn't know was 1) that I couldn't do ANYTHING save play/pause without the app; and 2) that the app is sort of a pain in the ass to get on iOS.

I could wait and hope Fiil update the global app, but I think these are going on the auction block. I like them quite a bit: they sound great, fit great, wireless charging, etc., but I'd rather recoup some of the $70, as I'm more likely to keep using the Jabra 75t's as my daily driver.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw1rMOCEWoUjx6HljqG5xTzs

Someone modified the Fiil app to be in English. The firmware is still Chinese as are the voice prompts but now the app is available in English.

So even if you don't have an I ok s phone anyone with Android can install use your buds to activated the advanced features and choose EQ you like. Then you can uninstall the app.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #31,147 of 62,382
A friend of mine has recently bought the Fiil CC2, but he's having a serious fit issue with it. He has big ears and these keep falling out of his ears. He has tried fitting them through all possible angles but no luck. If anyone here could tell any possible solution for this it'd be of great help and i'll pass it on to him.

Attachments

• 3333.jpg
    3333.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 25, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #31,148 of 62,382
Unfortunately it all depends on what Bluetooth chip was used and how it’s implemented (codec), nothing to do with the devices internal dac. Just the two Bluetooth chips and their ability to share and translate that information. The better the two devices communicate (codec same language and better rates), the better the quality of the music can be. With chips that use AAC primarily, Apple devices tend to be better since Apple doesn’t restrict the power supply with Bluetooth the way many Android devices do to lengthen battery life. Strange because Apple bottlenecks it’s lightning port with low power use through it for dongle dacs but not it’s Bluetooth, while Android seems to do the exact opposite. Part of the reason my Bluetooth headsets require lower volume levels through my iPhone then through my Fiio m15. Although the Fiio m15 plays Apt X HD to my Falcon Pro’s which I like better then AAC with the Falcon Pro’s.
Note, many thanks

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #31,149 of 62,382
A friend of mine has recently bought the Fiil CC2, but he's having a serious fit issue with it. He has big ears and these keep falling out of his ears. He has tried fitting them through all possible angles but no luck. If anyone here could tell any possible solution for this it'd be of great help and i'll pass it on to him.
Ear bud foams. Something decent like Hiegi.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #31,150 of 62,382
Wanted to provide a quick update with regard to the Jabra wars. The 85t still sits collecting dust for the most part; I'm really tempted to get another Link 380, this time with a USB-A termination, to use with the other work laptop. That way, I can have the 85t linked between one work computer and my phone and the EA75t to my phone and the other laptop.

Or I'll just start looking for a buyer for the 85t and keep the EA75t. Long and short of it is...having both seems very redundant right now.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #31,151 of 62,382
I've been using my bomaker sifi 2 as a daily driver for a couple of weeks. Lovely earphone, steal for 20 quid. Minor niggles with the case being too small for decent size tips and a tiny battery in it, having to charge the thing up every few days is slightly annoying. If my mifos sounded like these, they'd be perfect.

I still prefer buttons to touch sensors. Bring back the sifi 1, bomaker! And give us some 14.5mm tips not the ones made for babies, that I tossed in the bin.
Seriously....I can't make a single aftermarket tip fit these. It's very aggravating when manufacturers make the case so shallow that a tip even slightly taller won't fit. I'm looking at you too, Soundpeats!

Mar 25, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #31,152 of 62,382
Seriously....I can't make a single aftermarket tip fit these. It's very aggravating when manufacturers make the case so shallow that a tip even slightly taller won't fit. I'm looking at you too, Soundpeats!
Manufacturers have a bit of a dilemma when it comes to making TWS, though...
  • Option 1 - Put every user-requested feature into the earbuds so everybody can potentially be happy. This has a very high implementation cost. Time to implement is completely dependent on the engineer's ability to say no, how many bin requests there are, how long they take to implement, and (hopefully) the testing time to ensure everything works prior to release. I'd say 1-2% of the industry probably lives here and most of them are very small operations.
  • Option 2 - Build based on your largest demographic and ignore the rest. This is what most Chi-Fi companies tend to do as they'll just crank out a refreshed model in a few months. Most of these guys don't have the running capital for anything else and quantity over quality is the name of the game. Parts costs is kept as low as reasonably achievable, so it's more cost-effective to throw away RMA returns rather than perform repairs. This is where I'd say about 90% of the market lives these days.
  • Option 3 - Everything must have a purpose, everything must work. Not all user suggestions get implemented, but you make an earnest effort to incorporate the "good ideas." Everything must work before release. These guys are very few and far between, have limited runs, and usually only have word of mouth to build awareness. Advertising capital is usually small to nonexistent. Average development cycle: 5-10 years
Tl;dr - we're a picky subset of a subset of the buying population. The majority of purchasers don't even know that aftermarket tips exist, let alone their benefits. They do care about their cases being built as small as possible, which means tolerances get stupid tight inside the case, et voila...we have all these issues in mass-produced cases. To date, only Noble seems to have a case that was more than reasonably accommodating for aftermarket tips.

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #31,153 of 62,382
I think AT did a good job on the CKR70TW. On the features set and quality. You got the DLC coated driver with stainless steel conduit and Rubycon capacitors for the sound. Both quick hear through tapping on the right and ambient tapping on the left. ANC is nothing special though it works just not as much as better ANC models that cancels out more. The beamform mics are good so the other functions besides ANC are quite good. You got the auto pause, a decent app with EQ, L/R balance, 64 volume step adjustment, locator function, and a good case that is small yet I am using 10mm long tips on them. Battery is 20 hours so decent with ANC and they split touch plus buttons for the controls. Also announce battery level upon insertion so you don't have to look on a phone though it will be there as well.

They just left out Qi charging but good quality and feature set for $199. and $172 at the time I purchased. Still I think fair price for the engineering thought and feature set that went into them and they shrank it down to an impressively small size for AT.

Not sure we will get them but I hope more companies want to throw almost everything in there and do it with some quality and not charge over $200.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #31,154 of 62,382
The Diofit eartips that I bought for the Samsung Galaxy pro also fit perfectly on the Jabra 85t. I finally have a perfect fit for my ears.
Anyone with the large still being to small the Diofit XL work perfect with Jabra 85t and the case shuts like normal to. I like it so much I just may return the Galaxy pro, maybe.

Mar 25, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #31,155 of 62,382
Manufacturers have a bit of a dilemma when it comes to making TWS, though...
  • Option 1 - Put every user-requested feature into the earbuds so everybody can potentially be happy. This has a very high implementation cost. Time to implement is completely dependent on the engineer's ability to say no, how many bin requests there are, how long they take to implement, and (hopefully) the testing time to ensure everything works prior to release. I'd say 1-2% of the industry probably lives here and most of them are very small operations.
  • Option 2 - Build based on your largest demographic and ignore the rest. This is what most Chi-Fi companies tend to do as they'll just crank out a refreshed model in a few months. Most of these guys don't have the running capital for anything else and quantity over quality is the name of the game. Parts costs is kept as low as reasonably achievable, so it's more cost-effective to throw away RMA returns rather than perform repairs. This is where I'd say about 90% of the market lives these days.
  • Option 3 - Everything must have a purpose, everything must work. Not all user suggestions get implemented, but you make an earnest effort to incorporate the "good ideas." Everything must work before release. These guys are very few and far between, have limited runs, and usually only have word of mouth to build awareness. Advertising capital is usually small to nonexistent. Average development cycle: 5-10 years
Tl;dr - we're a picky subset of a subset of the buying population. The majority of purchasers don't even know that aftermarket tips exist, let alone their benefits. They do care about their cases being built as small as possible, which means tolerances get stupid tight inside the case, et voila...we have all these issues in mass-produced cases. To date, only Noble seems to have a case that was more than reasonably accommodating for aftermarket tips.
To be honest some of us have also mentioned huge cases being a turn off when talking about certain TWS. I also do prefer a smaller case as it does make transporting the headphones a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back