Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 24, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #31,126 of 62,704
Honestly haven't bought a Bose product in over a decade. That being said, the QC 35 (original, not the II) have been absolute tanks here at the house. Wife bought me a pair new when they first came out and I finally had to swap the pads out this past week. Guess they build them tough when they want to, eh?

Finally got all the foam tips in (Comply S/M and Dekoni EZ-TWS-M). Complys were total duds for the NFPs as they wouldn't extend over the nozzle, no matter how much I tried. They work really well for everything else with the exception of the Technics AZ70W and 85t, but both of those have comically-large nozzles. I'll most likely keep them on the side in case I'm having an itchy-ear day; foam tips tend to make those a little more bearable than the silicones.

The Dekoni tips, even if they had to stretch a little to get over the NFP's nozzles, seem way more suited to the task. Fit is great, no clearance issues with the case, and the foam in the tips has just enough rebound for me to bottom these IEMs out when compressed for a nice, secure fit. Granted, I may opt for the same tips in Small to see if I don't have to compress them with my fingers at all, but this is a nice middle-ground.
IMG_20210324_125402_Bokeh.jpg
And I'm happy to say I haven't heard any remnants of that dang driver flex/buzz I was dealing with previously. Knowing these are finally ready to go back into the rotation; that I won't be dealing with pop-pop-bzzz-bzzz every few insertions. Sound signature isn't too messed with, though there's more treble rolloff than with the stock tips (and I'm not complaining). Bass energy is still largely there, if not a little more diffused than with the stock silicone tips.

"Celebrating" with Wish You Were Here in DSD. Think I've earned it.

Edit: And this is probably a big one; I think my driver issues are actually codec-based in nature. Started getting the snap, crackle, and pop even with the Dekoni tips. Went into Developer Options and selected aptX instead of aptX Adaptive. BOOM - noise is gone. Just music again. Even if I close every other app except the music player and re-enable aptX Adaptive, the noise comes right back. Switch from Adaptive to regular aptX? Noise is gone. I think that's enough to confirm it being a codec issue, not a driver one.

I just spent a whole bunch on aftermarket foam tips only to be bit by the early adopter tax.
How would you compare the foam dekoni memory foam tips with your final type e silicone? In terms of comfort and sound quality, soundstage, highs/mids/lows.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #31,127 of 62,704
Well My New MT case while not creaking and feeling solid seems to have the right earbud for issue. As soon as I go to larger than standard tip it doesn't seat easily without me making sure to fit it properly.
This was not the case with the black pair I returned.

How did others save this who had this issue?
You have to jiggle it a bit until the red light comes on. I'm used to it now. Occasionally a bit annoying, but there isn't much choice. I feel it's a quality assurance issue

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #31,128 of 62,704
Mar 24, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #31,129 of 62,704
Well My New MT case while not creaking and feeling solid seems to have the right earbud for issue. As soon as I go to larger than standard tip it doesn't seat easily without me making sure to fit it properly.
This was not the case with the black pair I returned.

How did others save this who had this issue?
I also returned a black pair, then bought white at the $129 sale price. Chose the L tip, no issue with the case yet. But for whatever reason, I can’t understand why I returned them in the first place. They sound excellent. No issues with the controls. FW update went well. Now I own the M1+ and the Touch. Keeping both.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #31,130 of 62,704
Urgghh. My condolences.
Appreciate it. Not going to get worked up over it until I've exhausted all other options. Luckily, I had a backup pair...or few. Going with the Technics for now and not really complaining about it; even running on stock EQ and no ANC/HearThrough to warm things up.
How would you compare the foam dekoni memory foam tips with your final type e silicone? In terms of comfort and sound quality, soundstage, highs/mids/lows.
Their form factor is about the same. Took a photo to illustrate some differences:
IMG_20210324_160425.jpg
Dekoni is on the left, Final up front, SpinFit on the right, and one of the Comply in the back.

The Final still win out for shortest profile in terms of height, but looks like the Dekoni might be a little more narrow and have the benefit of foam to compress.

The SpinFit and Comply both seem to have about the same height, but the SpinFit are significantly wider at their widest point. Should help you decide what works better for you in terms of comfort. I won't be able to test the Dekoni tips on the MTs until Cambridge is done with their RMA, but know that both the SpinFit and Final worked just fine on the MT when it came to getting things in the case. Full disclosure: I'm usually a size Medium.
Ouch! Looks like Dekoni tips were too small for the NFP?
Nope, but the Comply definitely were and I was babying these when this happened. I just wanted to swap out the foamies for the stock tips to confirm my belief that it's the aptX Adaptive codec that was responsible for my noise issues. Can't test anything now.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #31,131 of 62,704
You're looking at the back end of two of the balanced armatures. Don't think I'm going to be able to press-fit this one back together.
Oh crap, I didn't even notice that :p Yeah... That won't just drop in nicely unfortunately :/ Hopefully Noble can get you a replacement; light speed!

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #31,132 of 62,704
You have to jiggle it a bit until the red light comes on. I'm used to it now. Occasionally a bit annoying, but there isn't much choice. I feel it's a quality assurance issue
It seems as if the magnet is not aligned right on that side. The first pair I had were much better in that regard.
Dropping them from an inch up and the magnets would ensure the contacts were made.
These that doesn't happen. I have to press fit

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #31,133 of 62,704
Appreciate it. Not going to get worked up over it until I've exhausted all other options. Luckily, I had a backup pair...or few. Going with the Technics for now and not really complaining about it; even running on stock EQ and no ANC/HearThrough to warm things up.

Their form factor is about the same. Took a photo to illustrate some differences:
IMG_20210324_160425.jpg
Dekoni is on the left, Final up front, SpinFit on the right, and one of the Comply in the back.

The Final still win out for shortest profile in terms of height, but looks like the Dekoni might be a little more narrow and have the benefit of foam to compress.

The SpinFit and Comply both seem to have about the same height, but the SpinFit are significantly wider at their widest point. Should help you decide what works better for you in terms of comfort. I won't be able to test the Dekoni tips on the MTs until Cambridge is done with their RMA, but know that both the SpinFit and Final worked just fine on the MT when it came to getting things in the case. Full disclosure: I'm usually a size Medium.

Nope, but the Comply definitely were and I was babying these when this happened. I just wanted to swap out the foamies for the stock tips to confirm my belief that it's the aptX Adaptive codec that was responsible for my noise issues. Can't test anything now.
Any interest in selling any large final E tips?

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #31,134 of 62,704
Any interest in selling any large final E tips?
If I had any left, I would, but they now live on the Earfun Free Pro and MW07 GO.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #31,135 of 62,704
It seems as if the magnet is not aligned right on that side. The first pair I had were much better in that regard.
Dropping them from an inch up and the magnets would ensure the contacts were made.
These that doesn't happen. I have to press fit
Now that you have mentioned it, I slipped on the large tips for mine, and sure enough, the left one doesn't drop right in (like they do when using the M or S or even the spinfits). Interesting find. Seems like their tolerance levels in the factory are pretty laxed for these. Oh well, I'm keeping them anyhow, they work well for me, connect every time, do what they are supposed to do, etc...

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #31,136 of 62,704
I can't get my preferred extral large tips in any case but my cheapo tws sets. I can get by with large tenmakk whirlwinds in my bomaker case but the fit is problematic. Those dekonis might be worth a shot.

Pretty much the most annoying thing about tws sets to me. Really gets my goat.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #31,137 of 62,704
I can't get my preferred extral large tips in any case but my cheapo tws sets. I can get by with large tenmakk whirlwinds in my bomaker case but the fit is problematic. Those dekonis might be worth a shot.

Pretty much the most annoying thing about tws sets to me. Really gets my goat.
If the Dekoni don't work out, give the Final a shot. They're pricey, but the smallest form factor and most flexible shroud I've seen so far. I recommend both, but one might be better for certain applications than another.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #31,138 of 62,704
Incase anyone missed it there's new firmware with EQ options for the Enco X. If you hated the Enco X's default v shape with recessed mids like I did, the new EQ options improve it massively, both tunings are way more neutral. Now using these over my kef mu3's and track air + due to the form factor and just overall features/convenience/size. Hopefully can also try LHDC on my next phone and see if they improve anymore. Reasonably happy with these now. Got half an eye on the b&w pi7 - doubt ill get £250-300 worth of improvement for the premium but I like being surprised and I gotta try them all. 😅

Latest Hey Melody app isnt on google play yet, which is where the Eq options are.
Wouldn’t hold my breathe on the B&W P17, two US dealers I spoke with stated only the P15 is on the upcoming order sheet. No mention of a P17 anymore even though it was listed a few months ago.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #31,139 of 62,704
I also returned a black pair, then bought white at the $129 sale price. Chose the L tip, no issue with the case yet. But for whatever reason, I can’t understand why I returned them in the first place. They sound excellent. No issues with the controls. FW update went well. Now I own the M1+ and the Touch. Keeping both.
I recall you returning due to connection issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back