Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 22, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #31,036 of 62,420
Hmm. Id say i like a U type graph/sound. But, with more emphasis on mids. I like the l2p quite a bit. I wouldn't mind perhaps a better mid range presence as i think that is the weak point of the l2p.

I currently own the L2P and Nuarl N6. I've tried the Sony XM3 - which i liked but they were bought used and had more damage than id have liked (ebay) and at one point had the adv sound model x.

I'm more intrigued by new offerings as a whole.

Price isn't really an issue.
I love my N6Ps. Best sound of all my TWS (Jabra 65t, crappy XM3s...) but they truly do not compare to the KEF mu3s.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #31,037 of 62,420
Hi;

When I pair the Soundpeats H1 with the Hiby R3 pro and the connection is never be as good as connection to phone (redmi T9 pro), no matter what codec I selected, it drops a lot and a lot, for seconds every time. This happens with all my TWS IEM, Mpow, Lypertek levi, Fiil T1x, ... DAP pioneer XDP-300R or R3pro....

Anything else I could do?

Second question is about sound quality.
While using TWS IEM and the DAP/Phone is not using the chipset which output to the headphone jack. It is using another chipset for bluetooth to send the sound to the TWS, right? In this case, no matter how good that the DAP output sound to the , say 3.5mm jack, the sound should be same as phone if the bluetooth chips same? The tuning is only depends on the TWS IEM? if yes and seems really no point to use a DAP for this purpose. OR my understanding is wrong??

People using TWS IEM here only use their phone for music?
Unfortunately it all depends on what Bluetooth chip was used and how it’s implemented (codec), nothing to do with the devices internal dac. Just the two Bluetooth chips and their ability to share and translate that information. The better the two devices communicate (codec same language and better rates), the better the quality of the music can be. With chips that use AAC primarily, Apple devices tend to be better since Apple doesn’t restrict the power supply with Bluetooth the way many Android devices do to lengthen battery life. Strange because Apple bottlenecks it’s lightning port with low power use through it for dongle dacs but not it’s Bluetooth, while Android seems to do the exact opposite. Part of the reason my Bluetooth headsets require lower volume levels through my iPhone then through my Fiio m15. Although the Fiio m15 plays Apt X HD to my Falcon Pro’s which I like better then AAC with the Falcon Pro’s.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #31,039 of 62,420
the chipset thing is annoying.

I got some cheap soundpeats for sleeping and podcasts, didnt think i need much.

so you have Qualcomm, Realtek and Mediatek now with chipsets, and unless you get something qualcomm powered or something from Sony, its going to be just SBC and AAC and the latency will suck. and were seing a lot of manufacturers saving a buck or two getting the realtek or Mediatek chipset so they can skip on the aptx license, so they are great for music, but as soon as you watch a video o try to follow a clip on youtube. screw it.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #31,040 of 62,420

I got some cheap soundpeats for sleeping and podcasts, didnt think i need much.

so you have Qualcomm, Realtek and Mediatek now with chipsets, and unless you get something qualcomm powered or something from Sony, its going to be just SBC and AAC and the latency will suck. and were seing a lot of manufacturers saving a buck or two getting the realtek or Mediatek chipset so they can skip on the aptx license, so they are great for music, but as soon as you watch a video o try to follow a clip on youtube. screw it.

That's what the Bluetooth SIG are trying to solve with Bluetooth Audio LE and their LC3 codec, hopefully the market will look quite different in 2-3 years :)

Such a shame about the time frame tho, LC3 was announced at CES 2020, but we still don't have a single device with it. I'm sure the whole COVID-situation played a big part in the delay.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #31,041 of 62,420
Supremely. I'm more annoyed because the so-called "leaps" in tech improvement due to poor implementation seem like either lateral or downward moves as far as stability is concerned. I had high hopes for LDAC, but getting a consistently-high bitrate is a constant problem. Seems aptX Adaptive isn't that far off.

To date, I still think aptX HD was as good as it got all around, meaning that's what I'll look for if I can help it. Your options are severely limited for HD, though, and it's really unfortunate that it's been so overlooked these days. Pretty sure only the Etymotion cable will do it; while the NFP are technically backwards-compatible with legacy aptX codecs, aptX HD is somehow not selectable in Development Options.

So, yeah, it's a mess.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #31,042 of 62,420
At this point I doubt that CA can fix them via software updates, it seems to be an inherent design problem.

I'm not that tech savy, but I do find it odd that Melomania shows up as L and R in the bluetooth menu instead as a single pair like most other TWS.

I'll give them until my return window is up.

As the guy below you mentioned. There are some newer offerings that still do this. I too also wonder how different phone types play into issues people have and dont have. Every bluetooth solution has worked without hiccups on my note 10. My friends LG G6...not so much. Im hoping its the same when my CA MTs arrive this week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210322-124542_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210322-124542_Settings.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #31,044 of 62,420
As the guy below you mentioned. There are some newer offerings that still do this. I too also wonder how different phone types play into issues people have and dont have. Every bluetooth solution has worked without hiccups on my note 10. My friends LG G6...not so much. Im hoping its the same when my CA MTs arrive this week.
Fingers crossed for your sake. My issues are on a OnePlus 8T and may have been linked to a firmware update that didn't take quite well the first time. My suggestion is remain patient and be prepared to hard-reset the buds a time or two if you hit a dead end.
Still use my pair when I DJ (very seldom lately). I very much need to replace my earpads though.
Gave mine to the movers a while back when I realized how many pairs I had to have them box up. Figured it was the least I could do. I'm sure they really appreciated it.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #31,046 of 62,420
im wondering if i should pick up the MTW300 from Shanling, the MTW100 was quite nice and it has a APTX capable chipset.
Only experienced their DAPs, which I thought were a pretty darn good value. I also like that they're relatively active on Head-Fi, meaning you're more likely to have your grievances heard.

Hope they fit well. Specs look pretty good. Based on what I'm seeing regarding sound signature, you're looking at Chi-Fi V-shaped tuning; how extreme is the question. Caught these initial impressions in the announcement thread:
I don't want to comment to much on sound since it's still not burned it. But out of the box and with 1h playing time they already sound good. Have no obvious pitfall. Imaging is good, soundstage also good. Generally a fun slightly V tuned frequency response. Although again they need some burn in, they sound bit "loose" and bit harsh high frequencies.
Could probably EQ out the trouble zones, but this sounds like they could have spent more on the driver itself than they did.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #31,047 of 62,420
Fingers crossed for your sake. My issues are on a OnePlus 8T and may have been linked to a firmware update that didn't take quite well the first time. My suggestion is remain patient and be prepared to hard-reset the buds a time or two if you hit a dead end.

Gave mine to the movers a while back when I realized how many pairs I had to have them box up. Figured it was the least I could do. I'm sure they really appreciated it.

The adv sound model x had similar issues as you and pulling them out doing a special reset and then placing them back in the case and then out only to do it again 3 days later was not fun. If there is any remote chance i have to do this more than once in a week - back they go.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #31,048 of 62,420
The adv sound model x had similar issues as you and pulling them out doing a special reset and then placing them back in the case and then out only to do it again 3 days later was not fun. If there is any remote chance i have to do this more than once in a week - back they go.
Don't think you'll do it on a periodic cycle. My point was more that it might take a couple initial resets to stave off the gremlins for good. I think Cambridge agrees this might be necessary as well, which is why they now pack in a card with hard reset instructions in the retail package.

My issue is most likely hardware-based and unrelated to what other people seem to be encountering. I hold no ill will towards Cambridge, either. They've been really easy to deal with throughout all of this.

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #31,049 of 62,420
I don't usually think about Jabra, either. I almost forgot to recommend them, but maybe the EA75t's fun tuning helps. Still surprises me that I find myself reaching for them more than the 85t during the workday, even on days where I know I won't be taking any calls.
I initially ordered the 85t as an all-arounder but later tested my friend's pair and wasn't too keen on the tuning (treble was a bit rolled off for my tastes but aside from that, just sounded a bit flat) so my set is still sitting BNIB (will be putting them up 4sale). Took advantage of a coupon and got the EA75t refurb'd due to your vouching for them and the mention of fun tuning - these things are the "bee's knees", "cat's pajamas" and whatever quips you'd care to throw at them, granted due to the fun tuning, the bass out of the box is a bit more than I care for but easily tweaked via EQ. Thx!

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #31,050 of 62,420
I initially ordered the 85t as an all-arounder but later tested my friend's pair and wasn't too keen on the tuning (treble was a bit rolled off for my tastes but aside from that, just sounded a bit flat) so my set is still sitting BNIB (will be putting them up 4sale). Took advantage of a coupon and got the EA75t refurb'd due to your vouching for them and the mention of fun tuning - these things are the "bee's knees", "cat's pajamas" and whatever quips you'd care to throw at them, granted due to the fun tuning, the bass out of the box is a bit more than I care for but easily tweaked via EQ. Thx!

How much you pay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back