Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #30,901 of 63,207
Could you please make a quick sound quality review of the Vivo?

for my slightly large ears, which usually use L size tips, the Vivo would be a bit loose, so the overall sound would be a bit thin because the reduced bass. but I'm using it with earbud foams, and the subbass can reach deep with it.

the overall feel is closer to using IEMs: separation is good, mids and treble are clear, bass is emphasized on the subbass than the midbass. i have to make adjustments to the case so it can fit and still charge with foams attached.

if you're using Vivo phones, you would have extra access to EQ and sound preset adjustments.

Mar 20, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #30,903 of 63,207
A specific information about those TWS is hard to find for most:
Which ones do have a "good" equalizer app that saves the settings in the device itself allowing you to unpair them with the smartphone then pair them to whatever device without EQ software (TV, Laptop, ...) while keeping the saved android EQ settings active ?

I use Earfun Free Pro as some test device with a PC and EQ APO/Peace GUI (they don't have an app/eq). This worked better than I expected (with up to +8dB for the 2k-4k frequencies though).
And now I am looking for higher sound quality with it's own integrated EQ but I have been googling for like 2 weeks for the JBL Club Pro+ and Cambridge MTs without finding an answer (do the EQ settings from their app stay active when pairing to a non-smartphone device ?). JBL seems to have a very good EQ while the MTs have a more limited one (not sure about the +-dB EQ range for those).

The only TWS I am quite sure that keep their custom EQ settings when switching media player are Sennheiser CX 400BT/MTW2 (but quite limited EQ) and Soundcore/Anker (not the top rated for sound but never tested myself so who knows...).

Starting to get old and developing some hearing losses does not mean you have to give up on Audiophile devices IMHO, just that you have to be more cautious with the Maximum Volume. I still love my Audeze and Hifiman headphones :)
Thank you !

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #30,904 of 63,207
for my slightly large ears, which usually use L size tips, the Vivo would be a bit loose, so the overall sound would be a bit thin because the reduced bass. but I'm using it with earbud foams, and the subbass can reach deep with it.

the overall feel is closer to using IEMs: separation is good, mids and treble are clear, bass is emphasized on the subbass than the midbass. i have to make adjustments to the case so it can fit and still charge with foams attached.

if you're using Vivo phones, you would have extra access to EQ and sound preset adjustments.
Can I ask which earbud foams are you using with the Vivo?
Thanks!

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #30,905 of 63,207
Update on the KEF Mu3 ANC! I used the buds on local trains and it was able to cut off commuter noise most of the times and only the rumbling of trains I could feel. The ambience is alright while I was inside the train.
But when I took them out while biking, it gives the natural effect in wind noise, you feel the wind how it is if you are not wearing the buds and no unnecessary amplification like the GB+. That’s a positive for me

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #30,906 of 63,207
Mar 20, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #30,908 of 63,207
Anyone knows what happened to the first Bowes and Wilkins TWS? Maybe supply issues given the pandemic?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bowers-Wilkins-Cancelling-headphones-resolution-White/dp/B08H8486Y7
In the US, stores are taking preorders but they are called P15 not P17. Same photo as supplied in your link but full details on them available if you look up P15, but no release date listed yet. They also seem to not be running a new Bluetooth like 5.1 or 5.2 but 5.0 and also only Apt X not Apt X HD or the newest Apt X Adaptive.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #30,909 of 63,207
In the US, stores are taking preorders but they are called P15 not P17. Same photo as supplied in your link but full details on them available if you look up P15, but no release date listed yet. They also seem to not be running a new Bluetooth like 5.1 or 5.2 but 5.0 and also only Apt X not Apt X HD or the newest Apt X Adaptive.
Two different TW models from what I understand. The PI5 being a single dynamic driver, and the PI7 being a more expensive higher-end hybrid set-up of dynamic driver and balanced armature. There was a PI7 listing with full details on Bestbuy a couple of weeks ago, but it’s been taken down, I’m assuming at the request of B&W.

This Amazon NL listing has PI7 release date as 17 April.
https://www.amazon.nl/Bowers-Wilkins-Cancelling-hoofdtelefoon-verbinding/dp/B08H8486Y7

EDIT: Here’s a link I found from a different site with a pic of the PI7 and dual driver details, as was previously on Bestbuy:
https://slankit.com/products/bowers...-cancelling-in-ear-headphones-charcoal-162620

The PI7 is Bluetooth 5.0 with AptX Adaptive

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #30,910 of 63,207
Two different TW models from what I understand. The PI5 being a single dynamic driver, and the PI7 being a more expensive higher-end hybrid set-up of dynamic driver and balanced armature. There was a PI7 listing with full details on Bestbuy a couple of weeks ago, but it’s been taken down, I’m assuming at the request of B&W.

This Amazon NL listing has PI7 release date as 17 April.
https://www.amazon.nl/Bowers-Wilkins-Cancelling-hoofdtelefoon-verbinding/dp/B08H8486Y7

EDIT: Here’s a link I found from a different site with a pic of the PI7 and dual driver details, as was previously on Bestbuy:
https://slankit.com/products/bowers...-cancelling-in-ear-headphones-charcoal-162620

The PI7 is Bluetooth 5.0 with AptX Adaptive
Interesting just asked Crutchfield, they list the p15 and believe it’s being released within the next 30 days. While the p17 Crutchfield removed from preorder and the customer service rep I just talked to did not know why. The p17 is definitely interesting, being a hybrid like the Noble Falcon Pro and Apt X Adaptive. Hopefully with better Bluetooth formats like Apt X HD and Adaptive we’ll start seeing more interesting hybrid iems with a fuller more detailed range. I wonder if Apple is going to improve aac since it definitely does not sound as good as apt x hd/adaptive. Certainly be easier for me to be able to just use my phone over dap.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #30,911 of 63,207
Started a collection of wireless buds, Sony WF-1000XM3, Sennheiser Momentum True 2 and Noble Falcon Pro.
Out of the three best out of box sound was the Sony, Sennheiser was better when equalized (hifi mode) and Noble was much better when equalized.
Ranked
1. Noble’s out of the box sound pretty meh, plenty of detail but very V shaped with recessed vocals. Luckily Noble app has the best equalizer out of all of the ones I’ve tried. And the equalizer setting stays saved with the IEMs so when switching from my phone to Fiio m15 or iPad or A&K, my settings are all saved. Not the case on the Sennheiser’s. The Noble’s require the most playing with the EQ but once set they are drastically more detailed, better bass control and better dynamics then the other two. Noble includes the newest Apt X which when used with the m15 sounds great, much better sub bass, dynamic bass, more details and air in highs. I’m sure having BA for highs helps with the dynamic driver for lows, the vocals due have a BA which is both good and bad. It’s a modern BA so timbre is pretty good but the Sennheiser is definitely the best of the 3 for vocals. Noble’s mids need a bunch of EQ to sound textured and less thin. Also dropping the 4K EQ to get rid of sibilance. Although after EQ it is definitely the best of the group.
2. Sennheiser again only ok out of the box, but once EQ they sound good. They have best vocals of the three. The vocals are clear and warm, not as detailed as the Noble, but they have a great timbre. The mids do require a bit of EQ to sound best, since once again a very V shaped IEM. The bass can easily be tamed and pleasant but has no where near the speed of the Noble or the texture and detail of the Noble in the low end. Sennheiser again has very pleasant highs but they roll off quickly and not nearly as detailed as the Noble’s or even the Sony. Sennheiser’s timing was a bit off, but still enjoyable just not toe tapping. Overall I liked the Sennheiser over the Sony for vocals and fit.
3. Sony’s I liked least, even though they sounded best out of the box. Once again a theme all V shaped out of the box. Sony app did not include a way to EQ this, my biggest issue. The vocals or mids are dry, lifeless. Bass was a bit more boom then I like but was mostly controlled. The highs were extended and fairly detailed, can get sibilant. Timing and dynamics were better then the Sennheiser but a little behind the Noble’s. The only real reason I returned the Sony after a week was fit and dry mids that very lacking to me.

Sennheiser are the most comfortable for me with the Noble’s and Sony’s falling a bit behind. Noble’s need a deep fit to have good bass and can create some pressure. Sony’s are heavier, old shaped and I tend to have a hard time keeping them in place if I’m moving around. Sennheiser’s are not the smallest, Nobles, but are shaped well and easily sit in my ear.

For features, Sony’s noise canceling was best, Noble has none, Sennheiser’s didn’t really do much. App’s Noble app didn’t always find the falcon’s but had the best EQ by far. Sennheiser EQ was basic and helped but would have liked more control. Sony needs to include a custom EQ option. Noble latest Apt X definitely shined with flac and master quality songs, better lows and highs. Which in aac there definitely is less detail and control presuming from missing info. Unfortunately Noble’s app only works with location on, so only on phones and not on either of my daps so EQing needs to be done on your phone, luckily the falcons hold their settings until changed again. Sony could be a winner with a little app refresh just felt in need of an update. Sennheiser and Noble both have full customization of taps for commands in the app.

I chose to keep the Noble’s for my needs, comfort and sound quality. Far from perfect or a wired iem but best option I’ve tried so far. The Noble’s definitely have better bass control and more detail with good timing. The Wizard must have drunk when tuning these but they take EQ easily and well. Out of three, the Noble’s are the only ones where drums sound like drums, not thumps and small details are not completely lost. You can still hear artists breaths and guitar strings have an edge. The other two lose micro dynamic and small details. Although when using Apple aac you lose some of this edge Apt X adaptive with 5.2.

Any others I should try? I’m not a bass head, my favorite headphones are LCD 4’s, Verite Closed, Stellia, Utopia and A12t.

Great post agree with most of what you said about Sony and Sennheiser. Sony so does allow custom EQ however. There are 2 custom and 1 manual setting in addition to the presets.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #30,912 of 63,207
Great post agree with most of what you said about Sony and Sennheiser. Sony so does allow custom EQ however. There are 2 custom and 1 manual setting in addition to the presets.
Really, damn I only noticed the presets on the Apple app. Is it a detailed EQ? Like 8 or 10 way or just 3 or 4 way like Sennheiser’s.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #30,913 of 63,207
I'm pretty partial to the UE FITS if you're willing to dial EQ in like your did with the Noble. For a pair you might be able to toss around a bit and worry less about, I'd consider the Cambridge Melomania Touch. They're far from the resolving, detailed, technical beasts in your repertoire, but they have a unique character on their own and would be one of my go-to recommendations for a gym pair. Not bass monsters, either; just warm and unapologetically British.

Said it better than I could myself. The praise is well-deserved. I honestly favor these over the 85t most workdays.

I'm loving The Cambridge Melomania Touch. Especially after latest firmware, the Treble detail and highs are better and the bass is less boomy with better texture. I much preferred is overall sound to the Sony and the Sennheiser. It only lacks ANC and has a few quirks or it would be the perfect earbud.

If you want something to try that has a fantastic feature set and with some Separate EQ can should really great too look at the freebuds pro.

Been using them alot this past week and they have great ANC, full controls, stable fit, great case with Qi charging.
Sound of of the box is warm and mids centric with Treble too rolled off. After playing with wavelet EQ on Android and boosting the highs and lowering the mids a fraction with another tiny boost in the sub bass ( though truthfully only the Treble was needed), they really round great. They have a great soundstage better than the Sony and best equal with the MTW2.
Bass is tighter than the Sony and Sennheiser.
Treble detail after EQ is actually better than I thought.

This song just after the 1 minute mark, had some cymbals playing on the left. A gentle repetitive hit. On most TWS I find they can't resolve the different tonal character of each one except the 3rd hit which is lower frequency.

The only 3 buds I have tried that do are the Sony Sennheiser and Huawei. I was shocked. JBL even with us great EQ couldn't, the 75t, 85t neither. Technics I returned prior to testing so can't comment. Even the MT whose sound signature I really like don't quite get there.

In any case right now they are the best ANC tws with good sound for me but with EQ. Best combo of fit,sound, comfort and features. While they don't have official IP rating I have heard reviewers who reached out to Huawei who told them it is splash resistant so likely minimum ipx2 or4 level. And I was amazed how secure they were in my ears working out.

Multi pairing is great feature too and only the Jabras can claim that too unless you are all in in Apple ecosystem. Unlike Hebrew you can use either buds independently.

My search is over between them and the MT to meet all my needs. Coming down the pipe, I don't see much outside of the time xm4, or maybe a retooled Devialet Gemini.

The Kef reportedly has weak ANC so see no reason to get over anything else in that tier.

Have not heard the falcon pros, but truthfully for my budget, I don't want to spend that much on something that has a short lifespan. Over ear headphones have much better longevity often with replaceable batteries or a wire to use them wired so even if the technology is passed over you can still have the sound. TWS, have 2 to 3 years before battery degradation, and the technology changes so rapidly given the differing needs as they are used in the gym, commuting the workplace as well as home so that the features of IP rating, ANC and ambient etc are different than something used at home.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #30,914 of 63,207
I serving The Cambridge Melomania Touch. Especially after latest firmware, the Treble detail and highs are better and the bass is less boomy with better texture. I much preferred is overall sound to the Sony and the Sennheiser. It only lacks ANC and has a few quirks or it would be the perfect earbud.

If you want something to try that has a fantastic feature set and with some Separate EQ can should really great too look at the freebuds pro.

Been using them alot this past week and they have great ANC, full controls, stable fit, great case with Qi charging.
Sound of of the box is warm and mids centric with Treble too rolled off. After playing with wavelet EQ on Android and boosting the highs and lowering the mids a fraction with another tiny boost in the sub bass ( though truthfully only the Treble was needed), they really round great. They have a great soundstage better than the Sony and best equal with the MTW2.

This song just after the 1 minute mark, had some cymbals playing on the left. A gentle repetitive hit. On most TWS I find they can't resolve the different tonal character of each one except the 3rd hit which is lower frequency.

The only 3 buds I have tried that do are the Sony Sennheiser and Huawei. I was shocked. JBL even with us great EQ couldn't, the 75t, 85t neither. Technics I returned prior to testing so can't comment. Even the MT whose sound signature I really like don't quite get there.

In any case right now they are the best ANC tws with good sound for me but with EQ. Best combo of fit,sound, comfort and features. While they don't have official IP rating I have heard reviewers who reached out to Huawei who told them it is splash resistant so likely minimum ipx2 or4 level. And I was amazed how secure they were in my ears working out.

Multi pairing is great feature too and only the Jabras can claim that too unless you are all in in Apple ecosystem. Unlike Hebrew you can use either buds independently.

My search is over between them and the MT to meet all my needs. Coming down the pipe, I don't see much outside of the time xm4, or maybe a retooled Devialet Gemini.

The Kef reportedly has weak ANC so see no reason to get over anything else in that tier.

Have not heard the falcon pros, but truthfully for my budget, I don't want to spend that much on something that has a short lifespan. Over ear headphones have much better longevity often with replaceable batteries or a wire to use them wired so even if the technology is passed over you can still have the sound. TWS, have 2 to 3 years before battery degradation, and the technology changes so rapidly given the differing needs as they are used in the gym, commuting the workplace as well as home so that the features of IP rating, ANC and ambient etc are different than something used at home.

The Noble Falcon Pro’s pick up the cymbals very well from soft to firmer hits, starting at 1:07-08. They also pick up the light clicking sound and the singers breath. The reason I’ve been a bit surprised by the hybrid design of the Falcon pro’s granted out of the box they badly need EQ. Even in stairway to heaven, Led Zeppelin remastered Flac HR they pick up him gently tapping his guitar at 16-17 seconds in, which the Sennheiser’s and Sony’s didn’t pick up at all. Cambridge are cheap, I’ll have to order one to try.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #30,915 of 63,207
I serving The Cambridge Melomania Touch. Especially after latest firmware, the Treble detail and highs are better and the bass is less boomy with better texture. I much preferred is overall sound to the Sony and the Sennheiser. It only lacks ANC and has a few quirks or it would be the perfect earbud.

With the update are the Cambridge Audio Apt X HD or Adaptive or only standard? After hearing the difference not sure I want to buy one with older technology. Personally don’t like ANC on most they add a static sound that I can’t stand. I switch to comply foam tips and usually block enough outside sound for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back