Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 16, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #29,341 of 62,439
I believe most of us who have the n6pro would agree it is not exactly bassy or warm sounding. The n6pro is known more for its detail retrieval and neutral signature. The xm3 is bassy and a more consumer friendly sound. So that would match what most of us describes. It just happens that you appreciate a more bassy sound while some appreciate a flatter and "faster" sound.
How do the N6pro EQ? I do like the notion of a flatter tuning, but like to EQ it to my taste (depending on the type of music I am listening to). Flat is great for critical listening, but sometimes you just want to tune it a bit to a more fun nature.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #29,343 of 62,439
How do the N6pro EQ? I do like the notion of a flatter tuning, but like to EQ it to my taste (depending on the type of music I am listening to). Flat is great for critical listening, but sometimes you just want to tune it a bit to a more fun nature.
I wouldn’t describe N6pro as having a “flatter tuning”. I have Etymotic ER4S, and they have a perfect amount of bass (and a perfect tuning for a deep-fitting iem). I know that opinions vary, but N6pro do NOT sound anywhere close to ER4s. Again, it’s just my opinion, but NUARL’s sound to me like somebody EQed bass out of them on purpose.
Here in Japan where I live, there are so many N6PRO circulating on the second-hand market, that the average price of these has dropped to around $60 US.
I have to admit that there is a chance that I was unlucky and got a busted pair... who knows...

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #29,344 of 62,439
I wouldn’t describe N6pro as having a “flatter tuning”. I have Etymotic ER4S, and they have a perfect amount of bass (and a perfect tuning for a deep-fitting iem). I know that opinions vary, but N6pro do NOT sound anywhere close to ER4s. Again, it’s just my opinion, but NUARL’s sound to me like somebody EQed bass out of them on purpose.
Here in Japan where I live, there are so many N6PRO circulating on the second-hand market, that the average price of these has dropped to around $60 US.
I have to admit that there is a chance that I was unlucky and got a busted pair... who knows...
WOW! The cheapest I have seen them here (US) is $120. So would you call these a more mid forward presentation? I have some Tinhifi P1 and most people that are used to a lot of bass called them bass lite. I find them (with just a tad of EQ) to be very punchy (though not a ton of rumble) and satisfying for most of my music needs (I use the Audiosense T800 for better bass and more musical). I am looking for something more analytical in nature than most of the TWS I have heard (ER4S not being one of them). I know I am asking a lot from a TWS.

I also have the Hifiman TWS600 (which I got for $50) and while they aren't bad with the 1k and 2k reduced by a ton and some bass bumped up, they sound a bit grainy and not quite what I was looking for. They are pretty decent at detail retrieval, but lack body, and are thin sounding. Overall They are pretty good for the price, and considering they ONLY have SBC they sound pretty good in that respect.

I have found the Melomania Touch way off for my taste. Big boomy bass, recessed mids, and veiled treble keep me from loving them. They DO EQ decently (not from the app though IMO), but even after EQ to my taste they don't quite get the tone and timbre right for me.

I still have my OG Bose Soundsport Free, and they DO sound pretty good, and can EQ them to my tastes, and have a natural passthrough mode (not being an in ear earphone), they stick out SOOO much, and the battery life is atrocious. The bass is a bit boosted and does (in some songs) override the mids, but I can EQ that out for the most part, but then they sound pretty dull. I like flat response, not lifeless... :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #29,345 of 62,439
N6pro doesn't respond to EQ well. Maybe that's why nuarl has the n6 for those who prefer a warmer sound.

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #29,346 of 62,439
It is finicky though. More dependent on a good ear seal than say Jabra. Samsung also very dependent.

Think comply tips would make all the difference as for me the MTW2 fit seems to vary. Sometimes tighter and then it is better sometimes a bit looser.
something is up then. There are reports all over the place of terrible ANC on the MTW2 (reddit has several threads on the topic). Either this is user error, ANC is terrible or there are a lot of these in the wild with faulty hardware. I did some digging and ultimately concluded the ANC was just weak and it was not hardware related. I attempted to contact Sennheiser about it but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Everything is done via an email portal.

Perhaps it is a fitment issue - IDK but it is strange that some report excellent ANC and others report virtually no ANC. With mine I could hear the ANC "engage" but it just didn't do anything. My test was against an exercise fan so maybe the particular hum of my fan wasn't in the sweet spot but with my Bose and Gemini, the fan immediately gets killed.
I think @Canabuc put it best. When i think back to first owning these, i remember how weak the ANC was for me until the firmware update i did in october. Even then while they do fit better than the OG MTW for me, meaning i didn't have to spend as much time finding a perfect fit as i did with the 1st gen, they are more difficult to get a seal with. That's gonna be key for many things obviously, ANC included. @clerkpalmer I'm not disputing what you're saying, i'm just saying while they definitely aren't the ANC kings or even in the top 3 IMO, i think a case for a spot in the top 5 could be made, definitely top7.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #29,348 of 62,439
Sure, I use mineral oil. It's not bad. It helps for a little while. I find that I have to do it regularly (like at least 2x a day) in order to get it to work. When I've used cortisone prescription drops, those work better, but it's not really sustainable for dry ears. I don't really produce ear wax. I wish I did. Ear wax keeps everything moist.
Thanks for the info!

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #29,349 of 62,439
Im not giving up on the Geminis yet. i love the the size and fit as well as the sound. on the batt draining issue it could be that it just doesn't disconnect even if i manually disconnect and turn off my laptop and phone's bluetooth.
hopefully the firmware update comes out the soonest. for the mean time i managed to prevent the left earbud from draining. after disconnecting and putting them on the chamber i just press the button to make them pair again (blinking blue) in that way i think you can say it has disconnected

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #29,353 of 62,439
I just stuck the N6P’s in my ears and turned on the music and they sounded amazing. I hate monkeying around endlessly with EQ settings. I spent days doing that with my XM3’s and still hated the sound

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #29,354 of 62,439
Feb 17, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #29,355 of 62,439
Anyone have both the Grado's and the Melomania Touch? Thoughts? Really enjoying both.
Made an account just to reply to you.

Currently have:
Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro
Soundcore Liberty Air
Melomania Touch
APPs
Senn CX400bt (in transit)
Jabra Elite 85T (on order)
Status Between 2 Pro (on order)

I'm no stranger to a multitude of IEMs or on/over-ears, but losing a headphone jack on my phone and this whole working from home thing caused me to reevaluate how I listen to music.

That being said, I positively LOVE the MTs...when they work. Fit was challenging, but finally settled on some size M wingtips and L SpinFit CP360 tips to take care of the slippery fitment issues. Problem is that one or both ears tend to disconnect mid-listen. I've even tried manually resetting both buds to no avail. That's not ideal for anybody here at the house (especially during late-night listening) so the LA2Ps have been getting most of the favor. They're light, comfortable, connection is stable, and all the features just kinda work. The added bonus of wireless charging comes more in handy than even I predicted it could.

It's a shame. If the MTs had the connection stability of the LA2Ps, they'd be my daily pair. They really do sound that good and handle EQ pretty admirably. I have high hopes for the remaining pairs coming in (and still secretly hoping the wife surprises me with Noble Falcon Pros for a belated V-Day present), but for now, I'm all smiles with the Soundcores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back