Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 17, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #29,356 of 62,285
Made an account just to reply to you.

Currently have:
Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro
Soundcore Liberty Air
Melomania Touch
APPs
Senn CX400bt (in transit)
Jabra Elite 85T (on order)
Status Between 2 Pro (on order)

I'm no stranger to a multitude of IEMs or on/over-ears, but losing a headphone jack on my phone and this whole working from home thing caused me to reevaluate how I listen to music.

That being said, I positively LOVE the MTs...when they work. Fit was challenging, but finally settled on some size M wingtips and L SpinFit CP360 tips to take care of the slippery fitment issues. Problem is that one or both ears tend to disconnect mid-listen. I've even tried manually resetting both buds to no avail. That's not ideal for anybody here at the house (especially during late-night listening) so the LA2Ps have been getting most of the favor. They're light, comfortable, connection is stable, and all the features just kinda work. The added bonus of wireless charging comes more in handy than even I predicted it could.

It's a shame. If the MTs had the connection stability of the LA2Ps, they'd be my daily pair. They really do sound that good and handle EQ pretty admirably. I have high hopes for the remaining pairs coming in (and still secretly hoping the wife surprises me with Noble Falcon Pros for a belated V-Day present), but for now, I'm all smiles with the Soundcores.
Ha Ha ha!! Well, ain't no going back now. The MT's are putting up a strong fight against my Grado's. I have an issue with my right ear as always, but when I find the sweet spot, the MT are killer. I'm working from home and have zero issues with the MT bt. I've had those LPs. Didn't love the fit. I also really love passthrough mode on earbuds for work. They were supposed to add that feature to the LP but not sure what happened there. Thanks for the input.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #29,357 of 62,285
Those look pretty wicked but I don’t see any mention of AAC. I think I’d be stuck with SBC on my iPhone right?
Not sure. I have an iPhone 12 and the Gemini sound was absolutely euphoric. That said, I returned them due to certain issues. If they fix them with a firmware update, I'll buy them again in a heartbeat.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #29,358 of 62,285
I just got the Earin A-3 and one of the buds died. Literally, the day after I received them from Sweden. Their sending a replacement, but still very very frustrating.
Almost three weeks and Earin is really dropping the ball. No replacement yet and zero responses from their Customer Service folks. Just awful. They actually used to be quite responsive.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #29,359 of 62,285
Those look pretty wicked but I don’t see any mention of AAC. I think I’d be stuck with SBC on my iPhone right?
I thought iPhones were AAC only. Can someone confirm?

Ha Ha ha!! Well, ain't no going back now. The MT's are putting up a strong fight against my Grado's. I have an issue with my right ear as always, but when I find the sweet spot, the MT are killer. I'm working from home and have zero issues with the MT bt. I've had those LPs. Didn't love the fit. I also really love passthrough mode on earbuds for work. They were supposed to add that feature to the LP but not sure what happened there. Thanks for the input.
The LA2P fit more like traditional earbuds, so the addition of SpinFits mean I get a secure fit with no pressure points that I can detect. I can see how the L2P form factor wouldn't be comfortable on a lot of ear types, though.

I'm optimistically waiting for another firmware update for the MTs. Agree 100% that they're fantastic, especially at the price point. Have you tip-rolled them, yet? I couldn't get a consistently good seal with any of the stock tips. Also might help to go larger than you initially think you need and going for a shallower fit. Kinda counterintuitive, but it worked for me.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #29,361 of 62,285
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #29,362 of 62,285
I got the Grado GT 220 based partially on the advise I received here.
The Devialet Gemini seem to be atleast another month away from being re-released.
The Grado’s are really nice, play louder then my Sennheiser Momentum’s, have huge base and possibly little more detail.
The thing that really stands out for me is that they are in you face and very dynamic.

Thanks guys for the fine advise.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #29,363 of 62,285
Not what I got from the article at all. Sounds more like they want an investor to put muscle behind sales in consumer electronics so they can focus more on what they do best: innovate.

Didn't realize Neumann was one of their babies, though. That's kinda cool.
Went and re-read it. Now I see where the idea of them selling would come from. That'd be a shame if they mistook the pressure COVID has placed on people's buying power as a sign they have to sell their consumer electronics division. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #29,365 of 62,285
SBC, AAC and APT-X (afaik)
https://darko.audio/2019/03/tangled-up-in-bluetooth-ldac-aptx-and-aac/

The elephant in the room is Apple. It chooses not to option Sony’s LDAC or Qualcomm’s aptX / aptX HD for its iOS devices — only AAC. This has sound quality implications for some Bluetooth headphone models. Pair any Apple iPhone with the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless and the Bluetooth connection will fall back to the inferior sounding SBC. Ditto Koss Porta Pro Wireless. iPhone users seek out AAC support in their chosen Bluetooth headphone.

Looks like SBC and AAC. I'm assuming SBC for voice traffic, AAC for audio streams. I know there is a hack to enable aptX on MacOS, but don't think there currently is one for iOS.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #29,366 of 62,285
Made an account just to reply to you.

Currently have:
Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro
Soundcore Liberty Air
Melomania Touch
APPs
Senn CX400bt (in transit)
Jabra Elite 85T (on order)
Status Between 2 Pro (on order)

I'm no stranger to a multitude of IEMs or on/over-ears, but losing a headphone jack on my phone and this whole working from home thing caused me to reevaluate how I listen to music.

That being said, I positively LOVE the MTs...when they work. Fit was challenging, but finally settled on some size M wingtips and L SpinFit CP360 tips to take care of the slippery fitment issues. Problem is that one or both ears tend to disconnect mid-listen. I've even tried manually resetting both buds to no avail. That's not ideal for anybody here at the house (especially during late-night listening) so the LA2Ps have been getting most of the favor. They're light, comfortable, connection is stable, and all the features just kinda work. The added bonus of wireless charging comes more in handy than even I predicted it could.

It's a shame. If the MTs had the connection stability of the LA2Ps, they'd be my daily pair. They really do sound that good and handle EQ pretty admirably. I have high hopes for the remaining pairs coming in (and still secretly hoping the wife surprises me with Noble Falcon Pros for a belated V-Day present), but for now, I'm all smiles with the Soundcores.

I don't have connection issues with my MT since the firmware. Did you try fully resetting them, re-pairing and then firmware update? Worth a shot!

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #29,367 of 62,285
Just got around to pulling the trigger on the MTW2. So far, so good. Does anyone know, precisely, what the "High-End Sound Tuning" does? It seems as though it may be hardware based, given it notes battery life is impacted. Enjoying them so far with "High-End Sound Tuning" activated.

Sitting near an air intake main, the ANC does git rid of mostly all of the "whooshing" rumbling, but environmental noise is still present.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #29,368 of 62,285
I don't have connection issues with my MT since the firmware. Did you try fully resetting them, re-pairing and then firmware update? Worth a shot!
I've done:
  • Multiple manual resets for both buds while in the case
  • Verified firmware is up to date on both buds
  • Gone into Low Power mode and then back to whatever the HiFi mode was called
  • Done another manual reset over all of that
I know they're working on similar connectivity issues from other user reports and from correspondence I've had with Cambridge (the CEO putting his email on the packaging was a smart touch), so I'm willing to be patient and deal with a couple dropped signals here and there. For someone who has those as their only pair, though, I could see it being a dealbreaker. That sound signature can just get so infectious. It's the first time in a long time I didn't feel cheated because something wasn't neutral out of the box.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #29,369 of 62,285
Just got around to pulling the trigger on the MTW2. So far, so good. Does anyone know, precisely, what the "High-End Sound Tuning" does? It seems as though it may be hardware based, given it notes battery life is impacted. Enjoying them so far with "High-End Sound Tuning" activated.

Sitting near an air intake main, the ANC does git rid of mostly all of the "whooshing" rumbling, but environmental noise is still present.
https://everydaylistening.net/2020/10/28/sennheiser-mtw2-high-end-sound-tuning-update-impressions/
When I still had my MTW2, I did notice a difference and it was quite nice.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #29,370 of 62,285
https://www.meeaudio.com/X20/
Mee with their ANC model that doesn't seem to be trying to hard but they are only $99. Big looking case, so-so battery life. No volume control with the buds and no ambient. They say they are "heavy" on features but not really. Hopefully they sound good as they state they use the 10mm from the M6 pro 2nd gen I guess but not sure how good that is.

For, a heavy on the features TWS from Mee would have ambient and Cinema Ear settings on the buds and maybe in-ear detection and volume control.

1613603287624.png

1613603449337.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back