Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 9, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #29,117 of 62,589
People on this site have a distorted view of what "bloated bass" is. I've listened to a handful of the headphones listed on here, and can tell that the community doesn't like ANY type of impact in their headphones and prefer a hot treble without any thud at all.

Remember, hip hop is the most popular genre. So companies are going to have to make headphones with bass. Not everything is going to be tuned for 40 year olds who listen to classical.
You're in an audiophile community, they tend to prefer sound with more linear bass presentation, even if it's elevated 5-10 dB, they still prefer something linear. Some don't mind a boost in the sub-bass (< 100 Hz for example), but having a boost closer to the 200-400 Hz range generally creates this bloat that most talk about. You don't have to have big bass to have a strong impact by the way. There is also such a thing as too treble happy too.

Edit: I'll also add that a lot of older generation also prefer a warmer headphone to listen to (modest linear push in the bass, slight reduction in treble, or both). I think the push of the Harman target also kind of puts that more in perspective.
I would argue that the people that LIKE the bloated bass are the ones that actually have a distorted view of what the artists meant the music to sound like. I am not trying to offend here, but I am in agreeance with tinyman392 in this. There is a major difference between good quality bass that has more quantity, and simply giving more quantity with poor quality. Also, most audiophiles will tell you they also don't like hot treble at all, but if there is a veil on the treble or it is reduced too much, not only does it make the tone of the instruments wrong, but you miss details in a song that you would not otherwise.

I love rap, and mix it up with rock, metal, R&B, etc... all the time. If you were to listen to rap from something like a pair of Hifiman Ananda, or Deva, etc... (just for example) you would find that you can give it a really good bass boost but it will still be very clean sounding AND you will still hear the rest of the music to go along with that wonderful impact of bass hit. I also love a good rumble in my bass, but again, if it is flabby, loose, bloated, it just doesn't sound good (unless of course the artists intended it to sound that way). It is like one note being played over and over and over.

If some of the headphones you have listened to don't give you this picture, then you have chosen the wrong ones, or bass is all you are about, and can safely use a crossover to tune everything out except the bass. If, however you have an open mind and truly DO want to hear good quality sound, then you might try others in turn. That is really the reason the people on here keep buying/selling buying/selling again headphones/IEMs. It is the quest to find the perfect sound (for their ears). If you are happy with the "bloated" sounds, then by all means stick with it, but please don't say that the community has a distorted view of this or that because it does not agree with what your ears like.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #29,118 of 62,589
KEF not really saying when the MU3 are actual going out. Did see an Amazon page went up... https://www.amazon.com/KEF-Noise-Ca...d=1612900709&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-112 ...and says anywhere from early March to early April. Hope they don't actually look like this in real life:
1612911434494.png

The medium gray looks pretty good in most pics but that cheap silvery plastic there ^ looks cheap as hell. Hope it is not that plastic trying to look like metal but obviously failing look.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #29,119 of 62,589
KEF not really saying when the MU3 are actual going out. Did see an Amazon page went up... https://www.amazon.com/KEF-Noise-Ca...d=1612900709&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-112 ...and says anywhere from early March to early April. Hope they don't actually look like this in real life:
1612911434494.png
The medium gray looks pretty good in most pics but that cheap silvery plastic there ^ looks cheap as hell. Hope it is not that plastic trying to look like metal but obviously failing look.
Any info regarding bt codecs?

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #29,120 of 62,589
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #29,121 of 62,589
First review declares it "best" :) for sound(if you like clear and tight) but not best for noise canceling. I suspect some better fitting might improve the noise cancelling and the sound to not be as "cool". Control scheme is not the best and leaves out rewind.
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=TVert&from=&to=en&a=https://wadaiblog2020.com/mu3-review#

"The overall impression is that it sounds bright and energetic.

In addition, there is no feeling of mingly that is common in completely wireless earphones, and it is very clear.

The balance between the low and medium and high frequencies was good, and personally, it was a sound that I personally liked.

In particular, the tight bass that did not disturb the melody, the brilliant violin and the brilliant gold tube sounded clear without sticking, and I decided on my main machine.

A sound field with a three-dimensional effect that feels depth not only in live recording but also in studio recording.
The left and right are also fairly wide.

By the way, I did not feel white noise.

Compared to MOMENTUM True Wireless 2

momentumとMu3

momentum and Mu3

The bass is available in MOMENTUM True Wireless 2.
However, mu3's bass was not a reverbed bower like MOMENTUM True Wireless 2, but a sharp bass with a clear outline, and it was a quick start.

For example, in Lepin & Gergiev's Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto, the part that rushes into the development of one movement.
One timpany shot and subsequent double bass sound can be heard in MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 with a fairly loud sound.
Mu3 has a tight sound that does not interfere with the melody.
Originally, it is easy to understand the difference because it is a recording with a lot of reverberation.

Another low string in Bromstedt's Nielsen immortality, moving from the third movement to the fourth movement, also sounds tighter in Mu3.

Also, even when two timpanies hit in a series, it is a clearer sound in Mu3.

I think the impression changes depending on my taste and the genre I listen to, but I like mu3 bass better because momentum True Wireless 2 often felt that "bass is disturbing" when listening to orchestras.

The medium and high tones sound better than momentum True Wireless 2, which has a rounded sound.

In the last movement coder of Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5 (recorded in Schorti 1987), I can understand it well by listening to the part where stringed instruments play the theme, but when I listen to it in MOMENTUM True Wireless 2, I feel like it will get excited once in that part.
There are not many sparkly tones containing the oversoning of the violin, and you can hear a calm sound.

When you listen to mu3, you can hear the glittering sound of the violin properly.

In general, Mu3 is better for orchestras."

Would think this could be a bit rushed and the fit could be mastered some and run in may tame some treble and/or looses the suspension where more air is moved giving a bit more warmth to them. Nice to be the first to review but there can be some change with use and learning how best to use. Just the first impression so interesting but not proven accurate just yet. Still a good read with some good info esp. testing the tips that fit with the case. Some cred from someone who has heard MTW2, E8, Aviot "J", Klipsch T5II, Noble Pro, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #29,122 of 62,589
I recently purchased the Jabra Active 75t. I like the sound but there are two issues that are driving me nuts. First, even with the largest tips they rotate out and fall out of my ears - and I am not even using them for running yet. If anyone has found a tip that is more reliable I'd like to hear about it. Second, there is no way to turn the NC on without using the Sounds app. The 75t doesn't remember the last setting for NC. I confirmed this with Jabra support. How odd.

Check out AudioNoob's review here. I followed his suggestion and purchased the Spinfit 360s and haven't looked back. For some reason I find Jabra's stock tips to be quite uncomfortable and even worse make my ears quite itchy.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #29,124 of 62,589
I recently purchased the Jabra Active 75t. I like the sound but there are two issues that are driving me nuts. First, even with the largest tips they rotate out and fall out of my ears - and I am not even using them for running yet. If anyone has found a tip that is more reliable I'd like to hear about it. Second, there is no way to turn the NC on without using the Sounds app. The 75t doesn't remember the last setting for NC. I confirmed this with Jabra support. How odd.
I had luck with the spinfit CP360’s. They don’t budge. With regard to ANC, for me, once they are updated, one push of the left bud activates “hear through,” two pushes activates ANC, and three pushes turns ANC off.

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #29,125 of 62,589
This is a great post, thanks so much. Could you post a pic of the difference between the Grado eartip and the Sennheiser? I’ve swapped the Grados for some spinfit tips and I didn’t notice much difference. Maybe need to give it more time.

I, too, was disappointed with the Grado out of the box. But after a few days I was in love with them. I’ve always been skeptical of burn-in, but I was convinced they came to life after a few days of listening.

This is the best I could do with my phone's camera.
ET1.jpg

Grado size S on the left, Sennheiser size XS on the right.

ET2.jpg

Comparison between Grado size S, Sennheiser size S and XS.

Dimensions are similar as you can tell. Sennheiser S is a little taller than Grado S. I use the Sennheiser XS on my Grado's.

I'm not sure why they sound different as I did have a good fit with the Grado ear tips. I suspect maybe the silicone is different? The Grados do feel a little flimsy compared to the Senns which are a little more dense.

I highly recommend the Sennheiser tips though if you're not happy with the sound. They can be had for $11 directly from Sennheiser.

***I tried the stock ones again just now just for kicks and I immediately could hear the droney overpowering bass.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #29,126 of 62,589
This is the best I could do with my phone's camera.
ET1.jpg
Grado size S on the left, Sennheiser size XS on the right.

ET2.jpg
Comparison between Grado size S, Sennheiser size S and XS.

Dimensions are similar as you can tell. Sennheiser S is a little taller than Grado S. I use the Sennheiser XS on my Grado's.

I'm not sure why they sound different as I did have a good fit with the Grado ear tips. I suspect maybe the silicone is different? The Grados do feel a little flimsy compared to the Senns which are a little more dense.

I highly recommend the Sennheiser tips though if you're not happy with the sound. They can be had for $11 directly from Sennheiser.

***I tried the stock ones again just now just for kicks and I immediately could hear the droney overpowering bass.

Thanks I’ll order a set of the Sennheiser tips.

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #29,127 of 62,589
Anyone using Fiil T1PRO have any EQ settings they can recommend?
They are really good sounding with more bass than I expected based on every one saying the earfun free pro is tuned for more bass out of the same bud. I find even in the treble preset there is plenty of bass. It is not quite to 75t level but easily matches 85t and can surpass it in bass boost mode over stock 85t settings..

The MTW2 have very nice sound and wide soundstage. Volume kind of weak. About 10 percent weaker.

Not sure I can justify the cost even at the same price. Can get the Jabras and the cx400 combined for same price as the MTW2

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #29,128 of 62,589
I don't want to put a damper, but has anyone been surprised at the sound quality of wired iems/headphones after using wireless for so long? I've been using Airpods Pros for a very long time, which I thought sounded decent. I then recently got the Galaxy Buds Pro, and those sounded even better, albeit less comfortable. I decided to chuck 20$ and get the Sony MH750's and was blown away at the sound quality compared to my wireless options at a cost of 1/10 of the Buds Pro.

I actually had a reverse experience the other day, tried a few of my wired IEMs and as soon as I dared moving I could hear the rustling of the wire against clothing / skin / beard ...

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #29,129 of 62,589
I don't want to put a damper, but has anyone been surprised at the sound quality of wired iems/headphones after using wireless for so long? I've been using Airpods Pros for a very long time, which I thought sounded decent. I then recently got the Galaxy Buds Pro, and those sounded even better, albeit less comfortable. I decided to chuck 20$ and get the Sony MH750's and was blown away at the sound quality compared to my wireless options at a cost of 1/10 of the Buds Pro.
The gist makes sense, but not with the MH750s. I would say you just like the tonality of the MH750s more.

Did you try using the app with the Buds Pro, and changing the EQ preset? If you like the MH750, the "Clear" preset might tickle your fancy.

I actually had a reverse experience the other day, tried a few of my wired IEMs and as soon as I dared moving I could hear the rustling of the wire against clothing / skin / beard ...
Oof, yeah I hate that! That's what makes aftermarket cables worth it.

Feb 10, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #29,130 of 62,589
First review declares it "best" :) for sound(if you like clear and tight) but not best for noise canceling. I suspect some better fitting might improve the noise cancelling and the sound to not be as "cool". Control scheme is not the best and leaves out rewind.

It’s been five days since I made the purchase in their EU page. I live in Germany.
I contacted KEF support on Facebook, they responded by saying shipping will begin in approx 8-10 days due to the Pandemic.

I will update here once I get them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back